As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hollow Knight] Sequel: Now has a store page; still no release date

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    It's not really an ending spoiler. Just a detail you can come across.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Shit, why'd I hit that spoiler

sorry dude, I should have labeled it a bit better

No worries!

It's a super old game at this point and it's just dumb luck that I've not had the ending spoiled!

It'd be like making it to 1988 without finding out that Darth Vader is
    not really James Earl Jones

Hooper X has some opinions on this reveal.

steam_sig.png
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I finally made it to the White Palace

Is it weird that I’m finding the crazy platforming fun?

I suppose it helps that the only thing you lose when you die is progress.

I’m on the third floor now and it is super hard. I thought the section with a bunch of vertical blades was hard but this is like an order of magnitude harder.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I finally made it to the White Palace

Is it weird that I’m finding the crazy platforming fun?

I suppose it helps that the only thing you lose when you die is progress.

I’m on the third floor now and it is super hard. I thought the section with a bunch of vertical blades was hard but this is like an order of magnitude harder.

If you're enjoying the White Palace, you might want to visit an ultra-hard optional location within it.
    Google "white palace path of pain" to learn more. It's well hidden and easy to miss.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Nice charms for White Palace:

Grubsong
    Deep Focus
    Hiveblood

Hiveblood is the one charm I don’t have yet

I’ve beaten the hive knight in the past, just having trouble on this run

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Got unbreakable strength and finally took out elder hu

I found a place requiring crystal heart and platforming I can't manage. Guess I'll do that last

Got through White Palace

I thought I was screwed trying to get past some up-down spikes but then I accidentally found a shortcut that let me bypass them and after that I was on a roll for the rest of the run.

Fuck the Path of Pain though. I gave it a shot and barely got up the first vertical climb.

First Grimm fight down.

I was having a hell of a time trying to dodge the fireballs so I went with a new strategy

Loaded up on spell boosting charms and just blasted him several times with abyss shriek from below, not even worrying about the fireballs that were hitting me

Not pretty but it worked

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Just had a thought.

If I were in Netflix corporate, I would be pushing so hard for a Hollow Knight animated series. Maybe that doesn't have mass appeal. In fact, it probably doesn't. But can you imagine how good it could be?

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    I would kind of love an animated series that’s brave enough to go with the total lack of speech from the Knight. Do it like Samurai Jack sometimes did, with long silent scenes of exploration or action, using the environment to tell the story happening in the moment.

Obviously there’d be one-sided dialogue from characters like Hornet when appropriate. But otherwise.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'd love a HK animated series so I could eventually figure out what the heck was happening in that game

I loved it, but even after beating it and watching a few videos, I'm still not exactly sure what was going on

Enlong wrote: »
    I would kind of love an animated series that’s brave enough to go with the total lack of speech from the Knight. Do it like Samurai Jack sometimes did, with long silent scenes of exploration or action, using the environment to tell the story happening in the moment.

Obviously there’d be one-sided dialogue from characters like Hornet when appropriate. But otherwise.

Oh man, a Samurai Jack-style HK cartoon would be so rad.

steam_sig.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    If I were in charge of an animation studio there would be a lot of stuff that I would be pushing for regardless of whether it had 'appeal', or was even going to be 'successful'. But yeah, that would be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdHskxJrSnw
    I'd love a HK animated series so I could eventually figure out what the heck was happening in that game

I loved it, but even after beating it and watching a few videos, I'm still not exactly sure what was going on

Youtuber mossbag has probably the most comprehensive lore videos. If you have, like 45 minutes, this first one covers everything from the base game, though there are some early errors and theories that turned out to not be true.

If you're super-interested in the game's story like me, there's a really active discord, any questions will be answered in seconds I'm sure.

H9f4bVe.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Finally started giving this a better go since I grabbed it on the Switch and it feels better playing it there. Just beat Hornets first fight, took a few goes but I got her. Having some good fun now.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Every time I think the game needs something more, I seem to find just that. After beating Hornet the general gameplay started feeling samey. Oh look here’s Charms that alter how things work.

Got down to the Fungal Depths, and thought Fast Travel was starkly missing with how much you need to explore. Oh look Fast Travel.

-Loki- on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I don't think I had gotten super far in this on PC

Was at
    soul master

But I got this on switch because silly enough, best buy had a plushy hollowknight for sale with a download code for the same price as the physical game.

It feels weird going back to the begining and moving slowly and unlocking all the paths rebuying all the basics and having vague memory of where to go and what's in all the secret areas. I can't tell if it's just much darker on the switch screen than a PC monitor but it's been a little tough to see. Otoh maybe it's a lumifly thing and I just need to power out the ridiculous 1800 Geo to buy that.

I died for the first time exactly where I expected I would in greenpath. It's one of two bosses where I felt like I'd get the pattern down pretty easily then just dumb fingers it up for a few attempts

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I am torn, because on the one hand, I've devoured every scrap of info about Silksong and I'm hankering for more - more story details, more screenshots, more gameplay vids, more anything. Because this series is the best and I gots to have more.

On the other hand... I picked up Hollow Knight after it had been out for almost 6 months, having heard nothing about it - this thread actually made me check it out. I went in completely blind, and was blown away. How am I supposed to maintain that feeling for Silksong if I get too much info about it?

I guess that's not a concern though, since new details have not been forthcoming for months now. Hooray-but-also-aarrgh?!

H9f4bVe.png
    The Mantis Hook seems like it should be easier to use by my hands just don’t understand.

You jump at a wall and hold the direction towards it; you’ll start sliding down. From that slide you can jump off again. You can use this to gain height on a wall and climb up it. It only works on ompletely vertical surfaces.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    It's more Megaman X than Super Metroid, if that helps.

edited August 2019
    You jump at a wall and hold the direction towards it; you’ll start sliding down. From that slide you can jump off again. You can use this to gain height on a wall and climb up it. It only works on ompletely vertical surfaces.

I know, but the tricky consecutive jumps to get to some areas that have tiny spots for you to hold where you need to leap between them or die spikey death make my hands go dumb.

Like I see it and think ‘I know how to do this’ and my hands say hold my beer.

I’m getting used to it.

-Loki- on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I just started playing this and will prob have a bazillion questions, but my first one is, I bought something that showed my position while viewing the map. And now when I pull up the map it isnt there. Did I loose it when I died or something? The map is pretty hard to navigate when there is no point of reference.

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    It's a charm. You need to equip it by opening the menu while sitting on a bench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_yNA5nwE8g

A preview of music from Silksong. This soundtrack is going to be so good. From the December Team Cherry update.

H9f4bVe.png
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I don't think I ever made the connection before, but that tune definitely makes me think Joe Hisaishi (the main composer for Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki).

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    It's a charm. You need to equip it by opening the menu while sitting on a bench.
    Also you need to buy a map from Cornifer. You dont just have one.

edited January 2020
    Golden Yak wrote: »

A preview of music from Silksong. This soundtrack is going to be so good. From the December Team Cherry update.

December too far, need moar bugs now. Baffa Nadda.

Edit: Ohh, the update was from december. Nevermind. Last 2/3's of my statement still stands though.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2020
    So a few days ago Team Cherry put out an actual riddle onto the Hollow Knight discord, just threw it on there, and solving it yielded the password to a zip-file they also threw out there, and that zip-file contained a new Silksong preview of a character...
    Character Spoiler
    ...apparently called the Huntress.

gs1lv94n0miw.gif
    “Ssssppiiiderr, Your ssstench is strange yet similar... Have you come bearing the organs of others? Or would you offer your own? Gift your sshell's warm insidess as ssweet feast for my brood'sss birth-meal?"

A towering old predator, awaiting her children to come. Though her attention is fixed on her task, she seems to know much about the waning state of Pharloom, scorning the Citadel above and the hapless pilgrims that make their ascent towards it.

And I'm like, TC, you haven't put any Silksong updates out in half a year, and now you're literally hiding them and locking them away? I don't need this.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    Sounds like the Silksong equivalent of the hunter from Hollow Knight. She'll probably task Hornet with killing the various enemies around Pharloom and give her info in a journal.

edited July 2020
    They're doing it again! I guess I should spoiler these:

Character Spoiler
    This is Grindle:
    wukrsb8f8vdj.gif
    “Hoho, free at last! Locked up in here much too long, we was! Nasty place to keep a poor little snitchbug! You’re smellin’ fancy though... Bet you got some nice shinies hidden in that cloak!”

A common snitchbug, fixated on thievery. Though he has travelled the lengths of Pharloom, he’s seen most of it through the iron bars of cages and cells. Free at last, he’s taking full advantage of the kingdom’s ailing state.This sneaky thief will gladly take rosaries in exchange for snippets of information he has gathered, though his gossip is often of questionable value.

I wonder if this is building up to a significant preview or bit of news, or is just a fun thing TC is doing on the side.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited July 2020
    At this point it seems like it's going to be a regular thing, and it's too fun to not post about so...

Character Spoiler
    The Caravan of Fleas
    clyekwj5xwo5.gif
    “You’re a traveller? A kindred spirit! We hear it's good luck for wanderers to meet on an unfamiliar path. It’s luck we need too, for these roads are haunted and danger snarls at us from every dark corner. Our caravan has only a single, humble wish, but it seems now as though it will never be granted...”

A friendly band of travellers trekking the dangerous roads of Pharloom in search of something precious. Masters of the journey, their caravan boasts a bounty of flavourful food, powerful drinks and some surprising amenities. They wish to gather the playful young fleas scattered across the kingdom, but this land is far more dangerous than they thought.

Presumably the Silksong equivalent of the Grubs - in the demo footage released so far Hornet finds one of the flying flea creatures out in the world and it zooms off, likely winding up here with the rest of the caravan. The mention of food and drink seems interesting - might hint at gameplay elements, maybe something like Hornet getting temporary buffs from consumable items?

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited July 2020
    Oh boy. Here's the preview locked behind what's described as 'The Final Riddle'. So this could be the last news for a while, or hopefully the prelude before some big juicy announcement.

Character Spoiler
    Seth
    wcl3figml4e1.gif
    3d5q23okdh2g.gif
    "The Voice... has chosen me."

An eternal protector, waiting amidst tangled roots at the base of the Citadel. He guards a secret long forgotten and will attack any who stray too close.

Imbued with stamina and strength beyond a normal bug, he strikes up close or from a distance with blinding speed. With unwavering devotion, this ancient guardian will fight until the very end, and beyond.

Many of the Citadel's caste have fallen to this deadly warrior. Those who encounter him should turn back, or else prepare for a vicious battle.
    The character of Seth was developed together with Seth Goldman, who's a really cool young guy we were fortunate enough to meet and get to know. Thanks to the Marty Lyons Foundation for hooking us up with Seth. Huge thanks to Seth himself! And look forward to entering battle with his deadly bug warrior!

edit - I just discovered that the fan creator for the above bug-fellow, Seth Goldman, passed away about a month ago. Sadly he will not have gotten to see his creation in-action in the game proper, but many of us will, and we will likely remember Seth as long as we do Hollow Knight.
    https://chronicshenanigansyndromeblog.wordpress.com/2020/07/07/hollow-knight-silksong-team-cherry-honors-legacy-of-seth/

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I want this game, please. Thanks.

• QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yesterday, please.

steam_sig.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I've been posting about this game in the Castlevania thread, since it seems to have become more of a "metroidvana" thread, but I figure I might as well use the proper thread!

107% and I think all I have left for 112% is Pantheon stuff? I've got almost every other non-speedrun non-steelsoul achievement; though I did manage to get the 100% under 20 hours because thankfully it just counts %, not the specific things that were in the base game, and I had gotten some extra % from DLC stuff that pushed me over; it also let me get the "worst" ending achievement. I savescummed the Nailmaster and Banish achievements because I wasn't sure if I was going to play through again, and didn't even think about it before the Zote choice, but that's really early in the game. I don't feel bad about it.

There's a lot of side stuff that is super obscure that doesn't give any reward except lore, that I'm not sure I'll do all of. I did some of it already, but there's a lot, and some of it doesn't sound super enjoyable (White Defender multiple times? Deliver more flowers? Hmmm....).

I'll probably give the pantheons a go, at least once, and see how it is; but I spent around 2 hours of frustration against Challenge of the Fool last night, so maybe the extended marathon fight things aren't for me. It wasn't even specifically hard, it was just a lot of irritating enemies in irritating situations. The stupid dashing flying bugs when there is no floor to stand on, just felt cheap, and were almost the entirety of my struggle. I could do most of the rest of it without getting hit for the most part. Of course, then I spent probably longer than that getting down Nightmare King Grimm, so maybe single fights aren't my forte either. :lol: Honestly though, that fight was just substantially different than any other fight in the game. Completely unforgiving, more unpredictability than any other boss fight I can think of except possibly Radiance. I think in the end 90% of my damage came from the dash strike charm (which, I learned, doesn't give any Soul! :rotate: ). But it was a lot easier to play defensively, and I'm not trying to break any speed records.

I applaud the superhumans that speedrun pantheons and do no hit runs and all that. It's awesome they dig the game so much that they want to put so much time in. Pantheon though, doesn't exactly feel like it was made for someone like me who really liked the game, and like to think I got pretty decent, but not so decent that a dozen bosses in a row seems doable.

Then again, I'm a person who spent an unreasonable amount of time (5 hours or so on the final DLC boss alone) getting perfect paladin difficulty completion of Lords of Shadow and had a brief minute of actually being good at dodging/parrying/blocking before those skills abandoned me.

Either way, I'll give em a look see. I just don't think I'll bang my head against them like I did Grimm.

Silksong can come out anytime now, though. I'd like to play that.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Silksong can come out anytime now, though. I'd like to play that.

Not lying, every single gaming event that has been online for quarantine I have prayed for Silksong news.

Mostly I just like Godmaster for making the bosses available to fight again at any time. Unlocking the ability to create a Godtuner file is a pretty great reward.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Mostly I just like Godmaster for making the bosses available to fight again at any time. Unlocking the ability to create a Godtuner file is a pretty great reward.

I didn't even know what was a thing.

I'm curious what the benefit of using a new game with that vs just using your existing file that you've unlocked it already with?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I got to... I wanna say 110%, defeated the first three Pantheons, and I will *never* get any further because I spoiled Hallownest for myself and
    fighting fifty bosses *in a row* seems less a challenge and more a very specific type of masochism