As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Yeah. I work with a bunch of really smart immigrants on various work and merit visas and at this point they're trapped in the US. If they leave--even just to visit family or go on a vacation--chances are they won't be let back in. And there's a good chance that when those visas expire, they won't be renewed, which means they're on borrowed time. In some cases they've been here for 10 years between student and work visas and they no longer feel like they fit in back home! They were planning on staying here! We lose them and we probably lose half the R&D side of the org that is laying the groundwork for future products a generation out.

Medium and long term this is going to axe America's competitive advantage in tech and education. Short term will fuck over immigrants, prospective immigrants, and the institutions and companies relying on them.

The situation is fucked, and the earliest it could get better is next year.

And there's a good chance it gets worse, not better.

Yeah. I talk to people who lean right wing about this issue - how removing these visas is gutting tech and research, the answer I get is always “well now maybe those positions will be occupied by Americans that need jobs”.

Like there’s totally a massive population of genius level white dudes with a B.S. in Physics slinging burgers at McDonalds waiting for an open slot at a PHD program.

I'm in Norway, not the US. When last I had an available PhD position, I got literally no Norwegian applicants (I got 3 people who had their education in Norway, but no one who'd been here for more than 3 years). I ended up hiring a Turkish woman.

I've mentioned this in economy threads before, but a lot of this is knock-on effects having to do with the cost of education in the US, coupled with there being a larger number of college-educated people so companies post applications with higher-than-frankly-needed requirements. US students go to college, get massively in debt from their undergraduate studies. They enter the workforce to pay their massive debt. Colleges, in turn, rely upon postgraduate students for a lot of their work, so they extend offers to anyone who can afford it, who frequently end up being international students who AREN'T saddled with massive undergraduate debt. Then companies post job listings for roles with the asking of a masters or higher, and the field consists primarily of immigrants.

This is less of a factor here, since education is free (taxpayer funded); the volountary tuition fee is about 30 USD per semester (no, I'm not missing any zeroes).

And for PhD work, we actually pay you in money you get to keep (minus taxes), not take it back in tuition/other fees. (Min. starting salary is about 50k USD/year. Tax is about 35%. The rest is yours.)

I didn't get any Norwegian applicants because they'd rather go work in private industry at a higher salary (or had already gotten other offers).

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Yeah. I work with a bunch of really smart immigrants on various work and merit visas and at this point they're trapped in the US. If they leave--even just to visit family or go on a vacation--chances are they won't be let back in. And there's a good chance that when those visas expire, they won't be renewed, which means they're on borrowed time. In some cases they've been here for 10 years between student and work visas and they no longer feel like they fit in back home! They were planning on staying here! We lose them and we probably lose half the R&D side of the org that is laying the groundwork for future products a generation out.

Medium and long term this is going to axe America's competitive advantage in tech and education. Short term will fuck over immigrants, prospective immigrants, and the institutions and companies relying on them.

Yeah. I talk to people who lean right wing about this issue - how removing these visas is gutting tech and research, the answer I get is always “well now maybe those positions will be occupied by Americans that need jobs”.

Like there’s totally a massive population of genius level white dudes with a B.S. in Physics slinging burgers at McDonalds waiting for an open slot at a PHD program.

I'm in Norway, not the US. When last I had an available PhD position, I got literally no Norwegian applicants (I got 3 people who had their education in Norway, but no one who'd been here for more than 3 years). I ended up hiring a Turkish woman.

I've mentioned this in economy threads before, but a lot of this is knock-on effects having to do with the cost of education in the US, coupled with there being a larger number of college-educated people so companies post applications with higher-than-frankly-needed requirements. US students go to college, get massively in debt from their undergraduate studies. They enter the workforce to pay their massive debt. Colleges, in turn, rely upon postgraduate students for a lot of their work, so they extend offers to anyone who can afford it, who frequently end up being international students who AREN'T saddled with massive undergraduate debt. Then companies post job listings for roles with the asking of a masters or higher, and the field consists primarily of immigrants.

This is less of a factor here, since education is free (taxpayer funded); the volountary tuition fee is about 30 USD per semester (no, I'm not missing any zeroes).

And for PhD work, we actually pay you in money you get to keep (minus taxes), not take it back in tuition/other fees. (Min. starting salary is about 50k USD/year. Tax is about 35%. The rest is yours.)

I didn't get any Norwegian applicants because they'd rather go work in private industry at a higher salary (or had already gotten other offers).

God I'm jealous of this. The costs (and low pay) are why I decided not to pursue a Ph.D.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    shryke wrote: »

A lot of this should get cleared up if Biden wins, just because none of the new issues are legislative afaik because Congress can't pass immigration legislation. So you'd just be back to the (very large) underlying issues that were around before Trump took office.

Unfortunately, the damage might be de facto permanent, if not de jure. I'm going to resist going back really hard even if there's some incredible blue sweep, because I fully expect four years later Trump will be president again. Or someone like him. I'm sure others looking at going in the first place are going to be thinking the same thing.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I fully expect Trump to be (more) senile or dead of old age in four years. What scares me is the guy who's basically Trump, only smarter.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Which I’m sure is Shivahn’s point.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I feel like anyone smarter than Trump would also be smart enough not to trigger things that may lead to the destruction of reality.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I feel like anyone smarter than Trump would also be smart enough not to trigger things that may lead to the destruction of reality.

A not-high but non-negligible percentage of the republican party is smarter than trump and has been perfectly happy to sign off on reality-destroying stuff for decades.

God knows I'm trying to figure out a plan for if the worst happens in November, because either they'll take that as a mandate to attack all remaining visa classes (and there aren't many they haven't had a go at), and/or the US will be in the kind of political situation where the term 'fleeing the country' becomes relevant.

• Options

I don't.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Can we cross that bridge when we're coming upon it? I've got my hands full enough trying to fight the current fascist.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Richard Spencer says he's voting a Dem ticket because Trump can't get the job done. He fucked up, Spencer thinks the "movement" needs to crawl back under its rock and come back with a different tact. And I don't think he's necessarily wrong about that.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Richard Spencer says he's voting a Dem ticket because Trump can't get the job done. He fucked up, Spencer thinks the "movement" needs to crawl back under its rock and come back with a different tact. And I don't think he's necessarily wrong about that.

Or he's trolling.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    They call themselves "Customs and Border Protection" but they're just the same fascists that ICE is, not actually limited to within 100 miles of the borders and doing various surveillance on everybody, all over the country, such as basically having all the licence plate data of everybody, everywhere.

1599670246005-vigilant-map.png?resize=800:*
    A map of their licence plate tracking from 2015, which is almost certainly greatly expanded now.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I kind of assumed our government already had the license plate data of everybody, everywhere, considering they're the ones who issue them.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I kind of assumed our government already had the license plate data of everybody, everywhere, considering they're the ones who issue them.

This kindof tracking is referring to using them to track your movements.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Yes but they're also databases of where those plates go and when. It's grossly intrusive without being obvious.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm not sure which thread this goes in, but it's related to ICE and their concentration camps, and just... Jesus Christ.

‘Like an Experimental Concentration Camp’: Whistleblower Complaint Alleges Mass Hysterectomies at ICE Detention Center
    Several legal advocacy groups on Monday filed a whistleblower complaint on behalf of a nurse at an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detention center documenting “jarring medical neglect” within the facility, including a refusal to test detainees for the novel coronavirus and an exorbitant rate of hysterectomies being performed on immigrant women.
    Multiple women came forward to tell Project South about what they perceived to be the inordinate rate at which women in ICDC were subjected to hysterectomies – a surgical operation in which all or part of the uterus is removed. Additionally, many of the immigrant women who underwent the procedure were reportedly “confused” when asked to explain why they had the surgery, with one detainee likening their treatment to prisoners in concentration camps.

“Recently, a detained immigrant told Project South that she talked to five different women detained at ICDC between October and December 2019 who had a hysterectomy done,” the complaint stated. “When she talked to them about the surgery, the women ‘reacted confused when explaining why they had one done.’ The woman told Project South that it was as though the women were ‘trying to tell themselves it’s going to be OK.’”

“When I met all these women who had had surgeries, I thought this was like an experimental concentration camp. It was like they’re experimenting with our bodies,” the detainee said.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ...oh joy, that's another of the definitions of genocide met then.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Whoever this mini-mengele is they need to have their license stripped

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

While in prison...

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Yeah, reading through the article it seems like what they are reporting is that way too many people being sent to this one doctor are getting hysterectomies.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Even if it's just one would-be Mengele, the question's how many people knew something was fucked up here and did nothing about it.

I can believe ICE is just so staffed with apathetic morons that this happened without anyone realizing, but it seems just as likely there are active conspirators.

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    ICE and CBP are chock full of fascists (all law enforcement is but these two agencies are lightning rods for them) I guarantee this monster had help.

• Options
    He could also just be a shitty doctor. Like "unnecessary hysterectomies" is practically a meme. I remember comments and jokes about it going back to the 90s.

As an example, just googling it right now I found stuff like this:
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/287736
    The researchers found that 37.7% of women had no documentation indicating they underwent alternative treatment prior to undergoing a hysterectomy. What is more, the pathological findings following surgery among 18.3% women – almost 1 in 5 – did not support the need for a hysterectomy.
    And it goes on from there.

I can remember stuff like this going back as long as I've been aware of the news. C-sections have a similar overly high rate in the US. It could be a horrible racist performing eugenics or whatever. It could just be the garden variety shittiness you can run in to in the medical system.

It definitely seems like something that should be investigated.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    ... Well this wasn't on my radar of "what's the first piece of bad news I'm going to read when I get home today." Literal genocide.

• Options
    Here's a more solid citation on that bombshell above by the way.
    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ice-nurse-revealed-georgia-detention-215816246.html

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    He could also just be a shitty doctor. Like "unnecessary hysterectomies" is practically a meme. I remember comments and jokes about it going back to the 90s.

The researchers found that 37.7% of women had no documentation indicating they underwent alternative treatment prior to undergoing a hysterectomy. What is more, the pathological findings following surgery among 18.3% women – almost 1 in 5 – did not support the need for a hysterectomy.

I can remember stuff like this going back as long as I've been aware of the news. C-sections have a similar overly high rate in the US. It could be a horrible racist performing eugenics or whatever. It could just be the garden variety shittiness you can run in to in the medical system.

There's no such thing as "just a doctor" when talking about a full medical procedure like this. At minimum there has to be a full team of complicit people to enable the doctor to be able to do this.

Also, mass sterilization of women is also something China has been doing to the Uighur women in their concentration camps.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »

There's no such thing as "just a doctor" when talking about a full medical procedure like this. At minimum there has to be a full team of complicit people to enable the doctor to be able to do this.

Yeah, but all those people just answer to the doctor and do the procedure when they are told that's what they are doing. In the general case (not specific to this situation) it's similar to the issue of too many c-sections where it's just doctors going for it. The nurses and support staff are not gonna contradict them on this kind of thing.

I'm not saying that's the answer here. It should definitely be investigated because who the fuck knows what's going on and there's zero reason to trust DHS. I am saying though that "doctor performs unnecessarily large numbers of unnecessary medical procedures" is not as unusual as you might think. Especially in the US from what I remember of the stats.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

Yeah, but all those people just answer to the doctor and do the procedure when they are told that's what they are doing. In the general case (not specific to this situation) it's similar to the issue of too many c-sections where it's just doctors going for it. The nurses and support staff are not gonna contradict them on this kind of thing.

I'm not saying that's the answer here. It should definitely be investigated because who the fuck knows what's going on and there's zero reason to trust DHS. I am saying though that "doctor performs unnecessarily large numbers of unnecessary medical procedures" is not as unusual as you might think. Especially in the US from what I remember of the stats.

Hell. Your average surgeon isn't going to question a diagnostician over a hysterectomy. It's not a very unusual or particularily dangerous operation, and in a lot of cases its use is warranted (and sometimes something the patient has fought very hard for. Endometriosis sufferers under 35 usually have to go through hell to get the surgery done, even if it's warranted and they've tried all the non-sterilizing alternatives).

So basically unless they had an in-facility hysterectomy chopshop the fault lies with the diagnosing physician and whatever cronies he had at the ICE facility (facilities?).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Anecdotally, I have seen numerous white women on Twitter saying they have been refused hysterectomies that they requested because the doctors said they "didn't want to be sued when they changed their minds about having children later on," so I find it somewhat questionable that
    doctors would be willing to just perform the operation on people who have not explicitly and directly consented to it to their face. Unless, you know, maybe they had some sort of conscious or unconscious bias that overrode their "ethical concerns."

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Anecdotally, I have seen numerous white women on Twitter saying they have been refused hysterectomies that they requested because the doctors said they "didn't want to be sued when they changed their minds about having children later on," so I find it somewhat questionable that
    doctors would be willing to just perform the operation on people who have not explicitly and directly consented to it to their face. Unless, you know, maybe they had some sort of conscious or unconscious bias that overrode their "ethical concerns."

I will echo this and add that it's only because of the threat of cancer that I didn't have to sign a consent form for my wife to get one.

I have no doubts that something fishy is going on -- maybe a less than consensual signature, maybe lies to get said signature, maybe they found the next Mengele -- but on the whole, doctors tend to want to cya in whole bolts before performing this kind of surgery.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    At best, ICE was so negligent they let a doctor do some clearly unethical stuff and any racist doctor who wanted to do eugenics could do it without ICE noticing or having a problem with it.

In all likelihood, it is worse than that.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

I will echo this and add that it's only because of the threat of cancer that I didn't have to sign a consent form for my wife to get one.

I have no doubts that something fishy is going on -- maybe a less than consensual signature, maybe lies to get said signature, maybe they found the next Mengele -- but on the whole, doctors tend to want to cya in whole bolts before performing this kind of surgery.

Wait, a non-patient spouse needs to sign a consent form for this?

Edit: temporarily lost control of my thumbs

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Yeah, when it comes to reproduction, women do not have bodily autonomy and it sucks.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

It’s probably not legally required but a lot of doctors and hospitals are paranoid about getting sued when it comes to procedures that involve losing the ability to have children.

Its weird because a lot of the same doctors that will avoid a hysterectomy at all costs on a 35 year old will recommend them for virtually anything on a woman 5 or 10 years older.

I know people who have actually had kids because the doctor suggested it before having one and felt it was worth the risk of delaying treatment (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, to ask “hey are you really sure” when you are dealing with something as big as having a child).

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Yeah, when it comes to reproduction, women do not have bodily autonomy and it sucks.

For what it's worth, it's pretty common when it comes to men getting vasectomies too.

Lots of more traditional doctors don't like doing any family planning / reproductive-adjacent stuff without consulting both spouses. It's still patriarchal bullshit that undermines bodily autonomy, but a lot of it is just CYA. It's the same reason few doctors will perform those surgeries on young / unmarried people who don't want children without major hoops.

That's probably not particularly relevant in the cases here, and while it's POSSIBLE these were legitimate procedures I'm not inclined to give ICE / CBP the benefit of the doubt without the strong opinion of an unbiased independent investigation. It would make sense there is more reproductive-related procedures like this if they are concentrating pregnant women into a single location and a small number of providers.

But fuck ICE, we know they are a bunch of Nazis and the fact we're even in a place we have to question this is pretty fucking damning.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    This topic kept getting removed on reddit, in all kinds of subreddit, for some reason

https://www.newsweek.com/aoc-us-must-atone-rights-violations-ice-whistleblower-1531930

Since Aoc addressed it, it's apparently a political topic! Which makes it a bit harder to remove that topic.. Because ICE hiring contractors that commit genocide is not political, apparently

Slightly off topic, but the r/politics mods apparently compared it to the "tan suit controversy"
    czo39zy30oua.jpg
    vq2i5m66xkbf.jpg

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    This topic kept getting removed on reddit, in all kinds of subreddit, for some reason

https://www.newsweek.com/aoc-us-must-atone-rights-violations-ice-whistleblower-1531930

Since Aoc addressed it, it's apparently a political topic! Because ICE hiring contractors that commit genocide is not political, apparently

What could a woman POSSIBLY know about women's health issues? Of COURSE her responding is political. ICE is just trying to do what the left has been claiming it wants for decades. Gov't healthcare. Jeez I don't know why you guys are all worked up about this.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    This is sickening and I want to know why I haven't heard about it until I clicked this thread.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    A US magazine has apparently named the doctor. Not linking it because there's also apparently a second doctor in New York with the same name.

Also, the original job description was found.

Apparently qualifications or certifications weren't important, but he needed "philosophical loyalty"

And got 400k for it

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/22/744206063/job-posting-for-doctor-at-an-immigrant-detention-facility-catches-peoples-attent

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    If the goal is sterilization, why hysterectomies when salpingectomies are faster and less invasive?

Not that that would be better, obviously :bigfrown: It just strikes me as weird.

This discussion has been closed.