As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Call Now

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Call Now

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    HarlequinGnollHarlequinGnoll Registered User new member
    well im of the opinion cramming a series worth of viewing time into a movies worth automatically makes it a bad movie

• Options
    GeorgeVGeorgeV Registered User regular
    You speak as someone who hasn't actually seen this purported 'movie'.

While you're not wrong about series-to-movies adaptations always having issues, those problems barely scratch the rim of the Pit of Wrongness that is the AtlA movie. It's downright twisted, as if someone took a rainbow and somehow turned it into a straight line of purest darkness.

• Options
    seanscytheseanscythe Registered User regular
    Still not as bad as Dragonball: Evolution.

• Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    I saw the movie long before I ever saw the series. The movie was only kind of shit. But I can understand why the fans hate it so much

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Defense Attorney: "Mr Witness. On the night that you decided to watch The Last Airbender, is it true that you first checked the IMDB page for the movie?"

Witness: "That is correct."

Defense Attorney: [Feigning surprise as a good lawyer always knows the answer to the question he asks] "You did? And tell me, did you see who was the director for this film."

Witness: "I did."

Defense Attorney: "And could you tell the court the name of that director."

Prosecuting Attorney: [Panicked] "Objection, Your Honor, the defense-"

Judge: "Overruled, it's a valid question. Witness, answer the question."

Witness: "...M Night Shyamalan."

Defense Attorney: "M Night Shyamalan! A director known, after the Sixth Sense, to produce awful movie after awful movie. Your Honor, I have affidavits from several of the clients of the prosecution that also claim that they too were aware of who was the director for this film."

[Baliff collects the affidavits for the judge to peruse}

Defense Attorney: "Your Honor, if I were to see a sign labeled 'Warning: Bridge Collapsed, Do Not Attempt To Cross', I would not attempt to cross. The clients of the prosecution knew full well what they were going into when they watched The Last Airbender. Defense calls for dismissal."

Judge: "The court agrees. Case dismissed."

OctoberRaven on
    Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Grounds for Appeal: Unbreakable came after Sixth Sense, that one is good too...

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    seanscythe wrote: »

Worse.

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »
    Grounds for Appeal: Unbreakable came after Sixth Sense, that one is good too...

Counterpoint: The Village.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    The cartoon was very much after my time so I never saw it, but I took my younger sister to this movie when it came out, at her request, and I’ve (jokingly) never let her live it down. What a steaming pile of garbage.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    If you haven't seen it, don't watch it. Just watch the ScreenRant Pitch Meeting for it and you'll be informed and entertained

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    BahamutEosBahamutEos Registered User regular
    I’m kinda freaked out that no post was made with this comic... Everything ok?

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    There was one a while ago that never got a newspost as far as I can remember. I can't remember which strip it was, but I'd say it was within the last year.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    BahamutEos wrote: »
    Isn't this the newspost for this strip?

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    seanscythe wrote: »
    Naah. You could file the serial numbers off and it'd still be a decent movie; AtLA was both a bad adaptation and a bad movie.

sig.gif
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

I figured Jerry was timing the newspost with the release of the PAX West Limited Edition pins, because he does do that at times. But I guess it was just tardy this time.

• Options
    v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    So, for the first two Panels I thought he was talking about James Cameron's Avatar before realizing he was actually talking about Avatar the Last Air Bender. So, super confused until I read the comic again. Largely because, I had completely memory holed the M. Night Shyamalan version. So, yeah. Thanks for reminding me that is a thing.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    v2micca wrote: »
    So, for the first two Panels I thought he was talking about James Cameron's Avatar before realizing he was actually talking about Avatar the Last Air Bender. So, super confused until I read the comic again. Largely because, I had completely memory holed the M. Night Shyamalan version. So, yeah. Thanks for reminding me that is a thing.

Same here. I've never been into the AtLA, so that term is already wired into my brain to the Cameron one for the keyword "movies".

Which is unfortunate, because AtLA has way more legs in terms of discussion than the other Avatar. I'll be making this mistake for decades.

• Options
    BillieVeeBillieVee Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

Same here. I've never been into the AtLA, so that term is already wired into my brain to the Cameron one for the keyword "movies".

Which is unfortunate, because AtLA has way more legs in terms of discussion than the other Avatar. I'll be making this mistake for decades.

Hey now, Cameron's making two (or maybe four?) sequels, so who knows what sort of Avatar discourse we'll be having in the next decade.

• Options
    BahamutEosBahamutEos Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Isn't this the newspost for this strip?

Yep, that's it. It didn't go up until about 11:30 pm for me. I think there might have been an issue and it didn't post correctly or something until it was pointed out that it wasn't up...

• Options
    BillieVee wrote: »

Hey now, Cameron's making two (or maybe four?) sequels, so who knows what sort of Avatar discourse we'll be having in the next decade.

I'm pretty sure I know. Especially considering 3d cinema is pretty much dead (and not even because of the pandemic), and that was about 90% of Cameron's Avatar's appeal.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure I know. Especially considering 3d cinema is pretty much dead (and not even because of the pandemic), and that was about 90% of Cameron's Avatar's appeal.
    Nah, I think it was 90% the really pretty CG alien planet. The 3D was an aspect of that, but I think the designs and fidelity were the main draw.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Nah, I think it was 90% the really pretty CG alien planet. The 3D was an aspect of that, but I think the designs and fidelity were the main draw.

That movie got so dull the moment they stopped introducing new areas. I found the whole back half of that film deeply tedious. Stripped of technical gee-gaws, that film is just a rote exercise in fantasy. It was extremely profitable, so I can't call it a mistake. But it sure seems like James Cameron just didn't both himself on the story.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    LazyDogJumperLazyDogJumper Registered User regular
    My favorite terrible awful decision they made was when Aang went to visit the dragon spirit. They show the dragon, looks cool, then they cut away to Aang meditating and ANOTHER character explaining what Aang learned from the dragon to someone else. Like.. why not just let the dragon explain things? The explanation is super boring too.

• Options
    TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    Did you see that, Ong? Six guys just did an elaborate interpretive dance to throw one medium size rock at one Firebender! Isn't that amazing, Ong?

• Options
    v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

That movie got so dull the moment they stopped introducing new areas. I found the whole back half of that film deeply tedious. Stripped of technical gee-gaws, that film is just a rote exercise in fantasy. It was extremely profitable, so I can't call it a mistake. But it sure seems like James Cameron just didn't both himself on the story.

I maintain that James Cameron found the least interesting possible combination of the elements available to him and made that into his movie.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    I haven't watched the Avatar movie but from what I heard I can only assume the ending is
    Kitara telling Sokka: "Hey Sokka, did you know that Aang defeated Firelord Ozai offscreen and now Zuko is the ruler. Yay!"

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The sad part was they intended to make 3 movies but the 1st bombed so hard they thankfully never went through with the other 2. I'll never understand why anyone would want to do live action movies. They almost always look like crap and bomb.

shadowysea07 on
  • Options
    AromancerAromancer Registered User new member
    Oh God, he went full Shyamalan.

You never go full Shyamalan.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    The live action adaptation for TLA was such a bizarre decision. The source material hadn't been finished for that long, what was the point of rehashing (poorly) a story that has been told only a few years prior? It just wasn't necessary, which makes the movie that much worse.

They should have done an animated movie as an overall wrap up / last adventure for the characters. Tie up some loose ends, set the stage for Korra, just more TLA fun. But instead we got M. Night Shyamalan insisting he knew the creators' creation better than they did whilst also creating something exceptionally problematic, what with the white washed heroes and the brown washed villains.

• Options
    Zomro wrote: »
    But instead we got M. Night Shyamalan insisting he knew the creators' creation better than they did whilst also creating something exceptionally problematic, what with the white washed heroes and the brown washed villains.

Which was especially eyebrow-raising, given that MNS isn't just some white dude who you already have low expectations for when it comes to those issues. Not that it excuses it when white directors do it, but you can at least not be surprised because you've seen it so much before.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Zomro wrote: »
    The live action adaptation for TLA was such a bizarre decision. The source material hadn't been finished for that long, what was the point of rehashing (poorly) a story that has been told only a few years prior? It just wasn't necessary, which makes the movie that much worse.

They should have done an animated movie as an overall wrap up / last adventure for the characters. Tie up some loose ends, set the stage for Korra, just more TLA fun. But instead we got M. Night Shyamalan insisting he knew the creators' creation better than they did whilst also creating something exceptionally problematic, what with the white washed heroes and the brown washed villains.

There's this perception in Hollywood that animated = lesser. That's why.