As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Speaking of sputtering airbrushes, here's some video of mine! (No idea why the upload has no audio.)

Just gave it a thorough cleaning beforehand. Pipe cleaner with a drop of dish soap through the siphon pipes on both the body and cup, through the spring assembly... It still refuses to deliver a steady stream without these hiccups. Gonna try another tip in a moment but I figured this would be a more reliable way to diagnose the problem than through words alone.
    And you can verify with certainty that it isn't inconsistent airflow / pressure coming through your compressor?
    I feel like there's a chance something has gone wrong in the lower assembly. Years ago I once had the o-ring in mine expand a bit (I don't know exactly why, but presumably I got water in there), and it made the brush stop functioning until I took it all apart and let it dry out for a day. It's not hard to try, anyway. Just be sure not to lose any small pieces :p
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Airflow can definitely be a big deal. I finally switched to a compressor with a tank and it was a big difference in how smooth and consistent I could get paint flow. Also second learning to disassemble your airbrush. It seems daunting at first, but once you know how to strip it and rebuild it there isn't really any problem, short of catastrophic part failure, that you can't easily fix.

I have gotten quite comfortable with taking apart and reassembling this old thing. And if there's anything wrong with the airflow it's to do with either the hose or the airbrush body - I bought a brand new tanked compressor and it's still doing the thing even when the compressor isn't running. Maybe I have too much hose?

Made a thread on r/airbrush and they suggested it might be the Teflon seals on the spray heads so that'll be my next step.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    It turned out better than expected

Also apologies for flooding the thread with in progress stuff

No worries, seems like the thread working as intended to me!
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Yea actually seeing the creative process can be super useful.

I :heartbeat: this thread

None of my buddies are big on anything but stock GW paint schemes, so I really appreciate the feedback in here.

:eh:

What's the point of painting your own plastic army mans if you're just going to make them generic?

Because you like the lore of a particular army, don’t particularly care about putting in the work to create your own scheme, or just get satisfaction from following directions to achieve a proven result?

Some folks like building the LEGO just like the box, and that’s ok.

Also some of the generic schemes just look really good. If I was an Ultramarines player I'd totally go stock scheme. As a space wolves player I can't stand the robins egg blue so I've gone with more of a grey.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    I think they're a great place to start, too. For a new painter it's a lot easier to take a scheme that works and add/remove features as you see fit.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    What's the standard primer of choice, for white and black bases?

I'd say Vallejo Surface Primer.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I've lost motivation again. I was planning on priming and basing my remaining 138 Necron Warriors today with my airbrush but I can't find any motivation at all to do it.

I just want to finish painting an army for once.

Also need to figure out how to get the doomsday cannon off of the doomsday ark so I can paint it easier. Hopefully a trip to the freezer will help.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    So I've really leant into the Vaporwave A E S T H E T I C
    Snip
    Yes I did Sky Earth NMM on a sewer grate. I am a crazy person

I love these
    Thanks mate!

That's not how reflections work!

Oh I know :p but doing it wrong pops more than doing it right, and besides most people won't realise it's wrong ...
    Watcher wrote: »
    Asher, you said you might go back and add litter later. No, please keep those clean! Way too cool to hide.
    Noted!
    Stragint wrote: »
    I've lost motivation again. I was planning on priming and basing my remaining 138 Necron Warriors today with my airbrush but I can't find any motivation at all to do it.

Also need to figure out how to get the doomsday cannon off of the doomsday ark so I can paint it easier. Hopefully a trip to the freezer will help.

Dude I feel you. Nothing saps my motivation more than trying to do everything at once. Set a smaller goal, achieve it, get the rush of endorphins, smash another goal. I hate batch painting more than about 4 dudes at a time. May be try doing 10 warriors at a time? It's technically less efficient, but you feel like you're achieving more.
    So I've really leant into the Vaporwave A E S T H E T I C of my bases
    Snip

Howd you get your hex pattern?

I have a friend who has a mdf terrain company, so I made the designs in Illustrator then got him to cut them for me. They're even a real product you can buy now! I won't be gauche and post a link, but if you search "miniature scenery" you'll find his website.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know what it is to lose the motivation to paint and then force myself to do it even though it's not what I wanted to paint
    It took me about 3 weeks fighting with myself to do the 60 termgants just the basecoats {both the heat and how work has turned even worse]

edited August 2020
    So I've really leant into the Vaporwave A E S T H E T I C
    Snip

I love these
    Thanks mate!

That's not how reflections work!

Oh I know :p but doing it wrong pops more than doing it right, and besides most people won't realise it's wrong ...
    Watcher wrote: »
    Asher, you said you might go back and add litter later. No, please keep those clean! Way too cool to hide.
    Noted!

Dude I feel you. Nothing saps my motivation more than trying to do everything at once. Set a smaller goal, achieve it, get the rush of endorphins, smash another goal. I hate batch painting more than about 4 dudes at a time. May be try doing 10 warriors at a time? It's technically less efficient, but you feel like you're achieving more.
    So I've really leant into the Vaporwave A E S T H E T I C of my bases
    Snip

Howd you get your hex pattern?

I have a friend who has a mdf terrain company, so I made the designs in Illustrator then got him to cut them for me. They're even a real product you can buy now! I won't be gauche and post a link, but if you search "miniature scenery" you'll find his website.

It isn't so bad with the airbrushing part. Mostly the reason I want to get them done in large chunks is because of how often I'm going to have to clean the airbrush while priming. I figure I'll only get maybe 20 or 30 done before I have to do a cleaning which is why it is extra annoying that my other airbrush is fucking up because I could let one soak while priming with the other and then switch for almost no down time.

I'm glad to at least have my paint scheme made. I Just need to solidify the blue, green, and purple glow. Green should be easy, just gonna use the fluorescent green from vallejo cause it looks real nice.

Not sure what other smaller projects I could work on. I still haven't figured out how to do the birds of paradise thing for my corvus cabal. Making oil washes with oil paints didn't really pan out how I wanted so I'm still not sure how I'm going to get a nice vibrant color.

I was planning on doing my Nomads from Infinity orange but I'm not sure anymore and I could paint my Space Wolves since those are an absolute breeze to paint but I wanted to add pelts to my dreadnoughts so I bought the fur green stuff press thing from green stuff world but with how absolutely garbage the roller has been I'm not sure I want to use it.

I really hate this roller by the way. Tried water, water with baby powder, just baby powder, and I tried vaseline and I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the green stuff just refuses to not stick to the roller.

edit: I kind of want to do a neon color theme for my Nomads because I eventually wont to make a futuristic neon looking rain slicked terrain set for Infinity.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I recently picked up on ebay something I dreamed of getting as a teenager: the box set of Grenadier Fantasy Warriors. And for a pretty darn reasonable price too!

Now I have over 100 dwarves and orcs to paint. But basing them has led to a conundrum. The plastic and sculpt quality for these is amazing for the time. But they have a kind of built in base that is 1 inch x 15/16 inch. It's slightly too large to fit on a standard 25mm square base. Those 25mm square bases are 25mm on the bottom dimensions but there is a slight bevel so the top of the base is a bit smaller. And the Grenadier minis are overhanging a little.

Anyone have ideas for what to do with these? I could just use the built on bases but I generally like having the slight raise in height from the warhammer style beveled bases. Also I glue a magnetic strip into the bottom of those. That makes storage easier and gives the mini more weight at the base so much easier to handle without tipping over.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Get non-bevel bases if that will work? Easy to get in bulk in MDF.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Do you want them to stay square? You can get 32mm round bases, put them on top, and hide the difference when your base terrian.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

Did a Kempeitai. Didn't look this washed out when I took the photos! Oh well. Not sure whether to keep plugging away at JSA while I'm on a roll or do Black Panther because it seems appropriate.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

So @Asher mentioned it, its easier to aim for smaller goals.

Think of it this way, why do you need to paint all 138 warriors? How many warriors do you really need for a list? If you're playing no immortals you only need 30 at a minimum, or 60 at max. Take 10 warriors and paint those. Boom, that's a whole unit done.

Looking at the entire lot in one go is going to overwhelm you. It just is. Break up these kinds of tasks into more manageable parts.

Norgoth wrote: »

So @Asher mentioned it, its easier to aim for smaller goals.

Think of it this way, why do you need to paint all 138 warriors? How many warriors do you really need for a list? If you're playing no immortals you only need 30 at a minimum, or 60 at max. Take 10 warriors and paint those. Boom, that's a whole unit done.

Looking at the entire lot in one go is going to overwhelm you. It just is. Break up these kinds of tasks into more manageable parts.

I'm not so much looking at it as what I will be running since I have zero idea what kind of list I even want to run with Necrons but more as a I've had my Necrons since 2007 and I've never fully painted them and I just want that for once.

I could do them in smaller batches, it isn't so much an OCD thing as it is an efficiency thing with my airbrush I guess. My brain keeps telling me it is more efficient to go all out with priming and basing them all at once but I'd still have to clean in between so it defeats the efficiency.

I could base and prime 10 or 20 a night after work so that way I'm not going crazy with trying to do so many at once. This will be the largest grouping of models at least. I only have 60 Immortals and then I think the next highest is Lychguard at 20. After that I have 18 Wraiths and 18 Tomb Blades.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Everyone's different, obviously, but for me, any efficiency I gain from batch painting big numbers of figures is completely lost from just not wanting to paint as often.
    I get much more done by painting a couple at a time and the momentum/thrill i get from finishing a few propels me onto the next few.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Is there a brown that's a color match for agrellan earth?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Baneblade brown I think!

Dayspring wrote: »
    Everyone's different, obviously, but for me, any efficiency I gain from batch painting big numbers of figures is completely lost from just not wanting to paint as often.
    I get much more done by painting a couple at a time and the momentum/thrill i get from finishing a few propels me onto the next few.

That might work for me, I can definitely give a try to doing less all at once to finish a group of minis and see where it leaves me.

I just dislike painting so much that the few occasions I actually feel like painting I want to get as much done as I can or I feel like I wasted that moment of wanting to paint.

I'll work on 10 warriors over the next few nights and see if it helps me move forward with another set after these are done.

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    If you dislike painting... Don't paint.

J wrote: »

Not really an option at this point. I've put too much money into this part of the hobby to not do it.

I also don't like having just grey plastic on the table, I want painted mini. I like the end result just not the process of getting there so I need to find ways to make it more manageable.

I do think focusing down small groups at a time might help though I was planning on doing the same thing with my Skaven acolytes and I finished 6 of then in either May or June and haven't gone back to the other 24 at all yet.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I was going to suggest trying for a single colour of batch painting a day for the first 3 colours, and then do them in small batches of 5.

Getting the first few colours down should go very quickly, and then doing small groups of 5 will let you start getting table ready squads fast.

I did something similar for my chain rasps and I couldn’t believe how fast it went once I got into a rhythm.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Ok, thread. I'm lining up a paint project, and need a good airbrush-friendly metallic paint. Preferably silver, as I'm going for maximum brightness for airbrush tints I'll be using over it.

Hit me with those recs, please and thanks!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Not really an option at this point. I've put too much money into this part of the hobby to not do it.

I also don't like having just grey plastic on the table, I want painted mini. I like the end result just not the process of getting there so I need to find ways to make it more manageable.

I do think focusing down small groups at a time might help though I was planning on doing the same thing with my Skaven acolytes and I finished 6 of then in either May or June and haven't gone back to the other 24 at all yet.

You could pay to have your armies painted. table quality minis are fairly affordable for batch sizing.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Nips wrote: »
    Ok, thread. I'm lining up a paint project, and need a good airbrush-friendly metallic paint. Preferably silver, as I'm going for maximum brightness for airbrush tints I'll be using over it.

Can't go wrong with the vallejo metallic series. I have chrome and aluminium which are both absurdly bright and work great through an airbrush.
    I was going to suggest trying for a single colour of batch painting a day for the first 3 colours, and then do them in small batches of 5.

Getting the first few colours down should go very quickly, and then doing small groups of 5 will let you start getting table ready squads fast.

I did something similar for my chain rasps and I couldn’t believe how fast it went once I got into a rhythm.

That might be good too, I will give that a try. Thank you!

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

I'm going to second Vallejo metallic series. I've found a lot of metallics mess up my airbrush. The Vallejo line runs super smooth and gives a really nice finish. Stragint is also on point with chrome and aluminum. They're crazy bright... duraluminum is also bright but not quite as much.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

You could pay to have your armies painted. table quality minis are fairly affordable for batch sizing.

If you do want to paint them yourself: I just do a simple, no-frills paint job. Base layer, maybe drybrush, done.

And now I've moved over to almost exclusively use contrast. It really is fantastic for someone who's ambition is "have painted minis". You can also get quite far with just a few, since they mix well (ianden yellow over thalassar blue gives the most amazingly vibrant green, for example). (Only downside is you must put varnish on them, or the paint will quickly rub off, much quicker than normal paint.)

If I were doing necrons I'd just spray paint them leadbelcher, slather them in basilicanum grey (or nuln oil), and give them a spot color on the weapon right over the leadbelcher. Bases in agrellan earth with black rim. Then varnish everything.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    edited August 2020

If you do want to paint them yourself: I just do a simple, no-frills paint job. Base layer, maybe drybrush, done.

And now I've moved over to almost exclusively use contrast. It really is fantastic for someone who's ambition is "have painted minis". You can also get quite far with just a few, since they mix well (ianden yellow over thalassar blue gives the most amazingly vibrant green, for example). (Only downside is you must put varnish on them, or the paint will quickly rub off, much quicker than normal paint.)

If I were doing necrons I'd just spray paint them leadbelcher, slather them in basilicanum grey (or nuln oil), and give them a spot color on the weapon right over the leadbelcher. Bases in agrellan earth with black rim. Then varnish everything.

This is basically what I'm doing with my Necrons. Prime gloss black, airbrush black metal, two coats of nuln oil gloss, and then talassar blue on the armor panels followed by a thinned down cool ranch blue metallic as a one coat glaze. Corvus black on the gun casing and a quick easy edge highlight with mechanicus standard grey and everything but the glow is done and for orange I have the glow down to 3 paints and fairly easy. Getting the blue, purple, and green glow down to an easy formula as well.

I went in deep on contrast the day they released, I use them a lot with normal paints.

For my HQs I want to get more detailed but for everything outside of HQs I'm trying to keep it simple.

It is too bad I already have space wolves painted in the normal way already, space wolves contrast looks too different for me to use with my current minis.

Stragint on

The necrons I posted up thread are painted with a scheme I deliberately chose because I wanted to paint the army quick and easy (which with two indom plus everything I've bought since is...necessary.)

It's literally just spray them grey seer, then spray corax white from above. Then its apply apothecary white, highlight armour ulthan grey, do the bones in mechanicicus standard grey, highlight dawnstone. Guns are just model colour gunmetal grey washed with army painter strong tone with shining silver highlights. Blues are mccragge blue, then several thin layers of p3 arcane blue to build up the colour. There's splashes of gold that are just retributer+strong tone.

Every part of this is designed to be as easy as possible. The basecoating takes care of most of the highlight work and can done quick with rattlecans.

Using contrast and a single highlight for the armour means I can do that colour on a whole unit in minutes. Everything else is basic wash and highlight stuff. I can do a squad an evening easily. In fact, its what I have been doing. Do one squad at a time then move on. There's a maximum of three steps for every colour.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I got a couple of D&D minis from a twitch stream I watch, the deal is they send me two packs of minis, I paint and return one pack. Sounded like a fun project.
    I got the Tortle Adventurers, looks like a monk and a druid (though the case could be made for other caster types), should be fun to paint up.

Question I had, do any of you have experience with these? They say they're pre-primed and ready to paint, wanted to check how good that was. Should I reprime them anyway? I've had some "ready to paint" figures that the paint just slid right off.
    Second, any ideas on color schemes? Never painted a tortle or a monk.
    Thinking about aping the red eared slider and a map turtle head patterns for the tortles, they're both pretty bold and recognizable.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah I did classic necron scheme just because it looks good for how fast it is.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Yeah I did classic necron scheme just because it looks good for how fast it is.

I did it because of this and to test out batch painting and I liked the generic look of necrons just with the larger items I found GW does two different things {highlighting the edge with green or painting it with dark green and washing over it to get a darker green} I am torn with the various things that are primed {I got two doomsday arks that were white primed with the gun primed black but I have to see if it's all there before I do}

I got some of the Aasimar D&D minis last summer to paint but got stuck with other problems
    I felt the contrast paint would be neat on the wings to get a certain look but I did not know if I wanted to do a certain look or another look for them {I got the female wizard and fighter sets}

edited September 2020
    I started using airbrush cleaner cause I felt like mixing simple green with water to clean the airbrush might not be as good at keeping it in good condition but I use a pretty good amount of airbrush cleaner when I soak my airbrush. Money wise I'm wasting a ton using airbrush cleaner.

I primed some warriors, gonna base layer them in the morning since I don't start work till 12:30. Does feel more relaxing not doing a ton of models all at once and doing multiple steps all at the same time.

Stragint on

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Because the new Black Orc Blood Bowl roster is clearly more of rugby team then an american football team I thinking about a good starting point for future paint scheme. Wallabies colours could probably look good on them. I'm pretty sure I don't want any red/white/blue, so something like England and France are right out. Also man Rugby national colours have a lot of black/white and green/white combinations all over the world. Maybe Scottish colours with a blue and purple that pop a bit more...
    Which Rugby team isknown as the most boring and/or unsporting anyway? That would also be a good start for a Black Orc team

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The All Blacks used to literally just steamroller the opposition with a Front Row twice the size of everyone else… but lately, England gets a lot of flack for excessive use of kicking for goal instead of, y’know, charging headfirst into a brick wall repeatedly and hoping it falls over before you do, like a sensible rugby team. The Australians are similar but they have the cross-town rivalry thing with the all blacks, plus they will deny it ‘til the sheep come home, which is hilarious.
    As for unsporting… they really stomp on that hard at the top level these days but the Italians, being the current Chudley Cannons of international rugby, probably have more frustration-related fouls to them than average.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The All Blacks are a bit too on the nose for a BO team. And Black with white accents orcs and orks look good but are already all over the place, played out if you will. Maybe a reversal white with black, like Fiji.

Not running headlong into the oppositon? This is not a skaven team, sir!

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Tonga, Fiji and Somoa used to have a reputation for loving the more physical side of rugby; they seem to love tackling. Most teams certainly seem to feel it the next day.

And in the Italian's defense, they aren't quite a tier 1 team, but unfortunately find themselves in an annual tournament where they are playing a lot of solid tier 1 teams. They do get the odd result.

PSN Fleety2009
    As an Aussie I have to vote for Wallabies, but also like a true Aussie will also but my weight behind NZ if it's not us vs them.

The All-Black-Orcs might be a bit on the nose but I mean it kinda works?

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I got a couple of D&D minis from a twitch stream I watch, the deal is they send me two packs of minis, I paint and return one pack. Sounded like a fun project.
    I got the Tortle Adventurers, looks like a monk and a druid (though the case could be made for other caster types), should be fun to paint up.

Question I had, do any of you have experience with these? They say they're pre-primed and ready to paint, wanted to check how good that was. Should I reprime them anyway? I've had some "ready to paint" figures that the paint just slid right off.
    Thinking about aping the red eared slider and a map turtle head patterns for the tortles, they're both pretty bold and recognizable.

I've not had any particular experience with this line of minis, but I'd probably be tempted to prime them myself just in case.

Using actual turtles/Terrapins as inspiration for colour and pattern seems like a good move.

• pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    If the paintjob doesn't need to be too serious it would be funny to send back some D&D Ninja Turtles

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
    see317 wrote: »

I've not had any particular experience with this line of minis, but I'd probably be tempted to prime them myself just in case.

Using actual turtles/Terrapins as inspiration for colour and pattern seems like a good move.

They're actually pre covered with Vajello primer, so it works perfectly fine as is.

The real problem is they put the primer on over the moldlines, so some of them can have some really nasty marks you can't get off without scraping off the primer (which is pretty thick).

They're cheap, and you do kind of get what you're paying for, but they do the job for DnD or practising painting just fine.