As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So did anyone else notice that the two teams in the new starter box basically make the game into a rugby match? Running style vs. grinding style but it’s all there.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    So did anyone else notice that the two teams in the new starter box basically make the game into a rugby match? Running style vs. grinding style but it’s all there.

Honestly bloodbowl has always been more like rugby than American football, which makes sense considering GW is a UK company. The early editions especially are basically what British people think American football is like rather than anything resembling it.

• Options
    Yeah, but the human nobles and black orc teams are leaning especially hard into that. Arguably the Lizardmen too but Saurus ain’t got no skillz.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Yeah, while a bunch of other teams get more emphasis on the US football style play with the new passing rules where only the thrower/quarterback can make a proper pass, none of the two starter teams have a real thrower. The nobility thrower is only good for quick passes really and even has the new running pass skill to emphasize the running game while the BO team comes with grab on half the lineup which feels way more rugby than for example block. And similarly up to 4 players in the nobility roster start with wrestle.

honovere on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    pardzh wrote: »
    If the paintjob doesn't need to be too serious it would be funny to send back some D&D Ninja Turtles
    I like this idea, but I've only got the one Tortle monk.
    I need to hit up my FLGS and see what they've got in the way of rat miniatures and how much I'm going to spend on four of them.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I started up a squad of 19 warriors to even out with the 1 I already painted. Going well doing one color a day.

I still struggle with not painting areas that can't really be seen. Just bothers me not to but I know it's pointless and I might end up screwing up if I do try to paint it.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Getting a little better at edge highlighting. Still having trouble getting exactly the right paint consistency. I way over thinned it last night so ended up with really streaky paint. Finding the right flow characteristics, where it flows from the brush with the lightest of touches, but isn't just water, is proving the difficult part for me at this point. Also I think I was using too small of a brush, which seems counter intuitive, but I found a step up from my 00 a little easier to get a good highlight with.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Getting a little better at edge highlighting. Still having trouble getting exactly the right paint consistency. I way over thinned it last night so ended up with really streaky paint. Finding the right flow characteristics, where it flows from the brush with the lightest of touches, but isn't just water, is proving the difficult part for me at this point. Also I think I was using too small of a brush, which seems counter intuitive, but I found a step up from my 00 a little easier to get a good highlight with.

From my very small and short experience with edge highlighting, if the brush is too fine the bristles bend instead of applying the paint evenly

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I think I've settled on this for a Custodes Scheme... touched up the pale drybrushed spots with some copper, darkened the plume, and dulled down the sword.

No idea how to base the thing though.... I'm temped to glue down some crushed quartz I've got in a tin in my desk. Give him something fancy to stand on. Or maybe just snow.... too many of my mini bases are too close in shade to the models and it all looks a bit homogeneous.

I'd originally thought of doing water bases with stillwater, but I don't think I'm motivated enough to do that on a whole armies worth of bases.

0mlbl8ubmboa.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    I think I've settled on this for a Custodes Scheme... touched up the pale drybrushed spots with some copper, darkened the plume, and dulled down the sword.

No idea how to base the thing though.... I'm temped to glue down some crushed quartz I've got in a tin in my desk. Give him something fancy to stand on. Or maybe just snow.... too many of my mini bases are too close in shade to the models and it all looks a bit homogeneous.

I'd originally thought of doing water bases with stillwater, but I don't think I'm motivated enough to do that on a whole armies worth of bases.

0mlbl8ubmboa.jpg

Bright gold tile pattern with something like mordant earth creeping/spilling over from one side

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

0mlbl8ubmboa.jpg

Bright gold tile pattern with something like mordant earth creeping/spilling over from one side

Like maybe take a file to file some "tiles" into the base... paint gold, wash tile lines, add mordant earth?

Think that'd work?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    The concept for these dudes is for them to be a "Lost Host" that disappeared during a warp storm/chaos incursion and now they pop up randomly throughout the imperium and decimate the battlefield they appear on. Sometimes aiding imperial forces, other times just massacring both sides indifferently.

Spooky Custodes... like the Legion of the Damned maybe...

Gold bases with dark stuff creeping in might fit.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

0mlbl8ubmboa.jpg

Like maybe take a file to file some "tiles" into the base... paint gold, wash tile lines, add mordant earth?

Think that'd work?

Three options come to mind for the tiles. Paint them flat, using color to simulate depth, make a quick stencil, or yeah use like clay or something and carve little bricks. Then go over with Mordant Earth so its like a creeping corruption over an Imperial temple or whatever.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    If you apply a solid and smooth coat of gloss over the gold the Mordant will pull apart more as it dries too.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I'm gonna try this out.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Jumped on greenstuff world and finally pulled the trigger on some rollers as it's gonna make custodes bases easier going forwards. Shipping options include

$8 - 30-60 days
    $180 - 5-10 days

:bigfrown:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Jumped on greenstuff world and finally pulled the trigger on some rollers as it's gonna make custodes bases easier going forwards. Shipping options include

$8 - 30-60 days
    $180 - 5-10 days

Yea, it is real brutal for shipping right now.

I still can't get the roller I bought to work well. So frustrating.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Spends where it shops from. I’ve done a few orders from the UK and it took the usual 2-3 weeks to Australia. Orders from the US are taking 8-9 weeks.

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Man that's brutal. I don't remember anything about shipping when I ordered from them so I assume it was fine
    Stragint wrote: »

$8 - 30-60 days
    $180 - 5-10 days

Which putty are you using with it? I've had success with Green stuff and ONLY Green sutff, I tried milliput as well and it just gummed the works up something fierce.

I'm still working away on my JSA. Most of the way there with the Major and just playing around with colours on the Oniwaban
    R8djdUn.jpg?1
    qlLw29e.jpg?1

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Asher wrote: »
    Man that's brutal. I don't remember anything about shipping when I ordered from them so I assume it was fine

$8 - 30-60 days
    $180 - 5-10 days

Which putty are you using with it? I've had success with Green stuff and ONLY Green sutff, I tried milliput as well and it just gummed the works up something fierce.

I'm still working away on my JSA. Most of the way there with the Major and just playing around with colours on the Oniwaban
    R8djdUn.jpg?1
    qlLw29e.jpg?1

I'm using green stuff. I've tried water, baby powder, baby powder in water, and vaseline and it always sticks to the roller.

• Options
    Wierd, mine works nearly perfectly using water. I just kinda paint water on to the surface with a brush until there is a thin layer and then go rolly rolly.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Has anyone in this thread bought themselves any Artis Opus brushes, specifically the dry brush ones? I saw the below video and it appeals in terms of some tanks I've got to get around to painting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJ1WsTUgYE&t=44s

Or would I just be better off finding some cheap make up brushes?

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    pardzh wrote: »
    If the paintjob doesn't need to be too serious it would be funny to send back some D&D Ninja Turtles
    I like this idea, but I've only got the one Tortle monk.
    I need to hit up my FLGS and see what they've got in the way of rat miniatures and how much I'm going to spend on four of them.

Did someone say D&D tortle monks inspired by ninja turtles?

cfst3x27e5he.jpge3ezi6m7t9fy.jpg

Digital model from Heroforge, printed through Shapeways.

Colour scheme tests:
    qs1pbacpgw5z.png

The longer I played as this character before painting, the further I moved from going full TMNT Venus cyan colours on the mini.

0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    How do you guys prime big models off their bases? Just set them down on cardboard, do a pass, let it dry, flip, etc?

I'd like to try painting this Venomcrawler off its base but it seems unwieldy to set up a mount for.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    I put it on its top/back so the bits that will connect to the base are uppermost first but yeah, pretty much that. I do it upside down to avoid scratching the top coat and giving to redo bits (the underside is less of an issue because you can just put it on its feet where it doesn’t matter.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Depends I found sticks work as well as just priming it held by a fingertips and a number of other things

Still I am debating about how to prime the tyranid gargoyles as because of the pandemic I cannot get coffee straws for free and I would have to smuggle down a mini to try out the dowels at work {what I feel I will do is create a flying creature primer that uses the dowels and poster tac to keep the mini on }

• Options
    Got to the glow part on the 19 warriors so I'm also at the touch up part. I think I'm gonna focus on groups of 5 now so the touch up doesn't feel overwhelming. Debating on touching up the ink parts that spilled over into the armor, can leave it and try to add to the glow or just keep it simple and fix it up real quick.

Probably gonna go with fix it up.

Weird thing with one of the artis opus brushes
    The size 2 wasn't at a sharp point like I left it after cleaning it with brush cleaner. I got some paint on it and it was fine but is that normal after it has been sitting for a while after being used?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Is anyone in the Seattle area?

A friend of mine is asking around for a good source on Vallejo paints. I dunno if it is for minis building or for gunpla, but he asked in my local gunpla club's space.

I'll crosspost this to the SE++ Gunpla thread too.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Got to the glow part on the 19 warriors so I'm also at the touch up part. I think I'm gonna focus on groups of 5 now so the touch up doesn't feel overwhelming. Debating on touching up the ink parts that spilled over into the armor, can leave it and try to add to the glow or just keep it simple and fix it up real quick.

Probably gonna go with fix it up.

Weird thing with one of the artis opus brushes
    The size 2 wasn't at a sharp point like I left it after cleaning it with brush cleaner. I got some paint on it and it was fine but is that normal after it has been sitting for a while after being used?

I notice sometimes my current workhorse brush doesn't look shaped right when clean and dry, but once moistened retakes its shape and works fine.

*shrug*

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Heres another Space Jerk:
    8pskr2kr788u.jpg

And my priming log for today, first decent day in 3 months:
    g0tr3apbgcca.jpg

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I painted a thing! Adder mage for Burrows and Badgers.

p4Y24wv.jpg

A small simple thing but man did my initial lockdown creativity peak quickly hit a months long deep trough, so happy to have produced anything.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Finally got around to basing this dude.... it's a neat scheme but after all the testing I don't like it enough to do a whole army.

7z311qwqwlfk.jpg
    yiukzarkq0w6.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    I also whipped this up. Spooky Legion of the Damned style custodes.

I like it better I think....

ycbuwarn8u8l.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Finally got around to basing this dude.... it's a neat scheme but after all the testing I don't like it enough to do a whole army.

7z311qwqwlfk.jpg
    yiukzarkq0w6.jpg

Powerful Artorias the Abyss Walker look on this guy, love it!

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I just ordered some teeny tiny leaves to decorate my adder’s base. I think they may be made from real leaves. This feels like crossing some kind of modelling rubicon.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I may have gone overboard priming 700ish points of dudes

Now I'm looking at a pile of black plastic like, "Fuck."

• Options
    WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    Finally finished dressing up the dudes from Space Marine Adventures. No, not great paint jobs, but, good enough for a board game that will get pulled out a few times a year.
    tcmvwcu02w2m.jpg
    jq2pe0pra09i.jpg
    xfdu5ny26a11.jpg
    gsjilyp1kq7h.jpg

Not great pics, but, I'm a truck driver, not a photographer! They get the point across. My favorite is the Salamander. He was the most fun to paint, even if the flames didn't turn out quite right.

• Options
    I just ordered some teeny tiny leaves to decorate my adder’s base. I think they may be made from real leaves. This feels like crossing some kind of modelling rubicon.

No, no that comes when you order a specialty punch so you can make your own tiny leaves out of real leaves.

Did Batou. Maybe bright red "muscle" was too much but whatever he's done

• Options
    I need to learn how to work better with glazes...

Anyone have some good youtube source material?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Darren Latham has an intro to glazing, and his youtube channel didn't get taken down I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH7f5pAi-XE

and Vince Ventruella always has a video for whatever technique you want-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N88NtHNmz1Q

PSN- AHermano