As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Lives Matter Thread 6

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

This gets a bit collar tug if you remember what happens in the next few seconds
    he's saved by an elephant...

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'd say there's been a tremendous amount of leftward radicalization as well, it's just not as reported on or widely acknowledged because it's not a fucking existential threat to society.

I almost think it's the opposite

Radical right wing stuff is basically, "what we're already doing but more, and more honest"

More imperialism, more racism, more violence against people that don't conform to the hegemony. Our society has tons of structural inequality and the alt right looks at that and says "yeah man it rules, let's do more of that"

Radical leftists are the ones who look at our current society and say "Jesus, this shit's gotta go"

Right wing ideology is a bigger existential threat to like, the human race, but leftist ideology is a bigger existential threat to the structure of society as we know it. Which is why it's constantly villainized, marginalized, and dismissed as non serious and utopian

Speed Racer on
  • Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    remember the story a week or so ago where police in colorado had some medics shoot a dude up with ketamine for no reason and killed him?

well that shit ain't an Isolated Incident, if you can believe it

this other dude made it out okay, despite the fact that he was passed out drunk when the cops called him and mixing booze and ketamine is dangerous as hell, but it did land him in the ICU for a couple days

i'm looking forward to somebody proposing a law banning police from holding people down while medical people drug them against their will for no other reason than "the fuck you gonna do about it." it also seems to me like the medical people definitely get some share of the blame in this shit too

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    The volunteer fire dep/emt service across from my work started flying a thin blue line flag this week (one of those ones with red for fire departments on it to) so I mean, yeah.

You'd think taking a dangerous, stressful job all about trying to help people in desperate need would weed out the shitbags a bit more, but, welp!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'm not surprised, I'm just disappointed.

sig.gif
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    The volunteer fire dep/emt service across from my work started flying a thin blue line flag this week (one of those ones with red for fire departments on it to) so I mean, yeah.

You'd think taking a dangerous, stressful job all about trying to help people in desperate need would weed out the shitbags a bit more, but, welp!

My experience with EMT culture is that it attracts a lot of dudes steeped in toxic machismo and police/soldier gear fetishism.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    emts and firefighters also very frequently work alongside police, so it doesn't surprise me that a lot of them would be pro-police

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    emts and firefighters also very frequently work alongside police, so it doesn't surprise me that a lot of them would be pro-police

Where's that picture of the fiery French firefighters ready to fuck up some cops?

Where's that picture of the fiery French firefighters ready to fuck up some cops?

there's a reason I only said "a lot of them!" plus i have no idea how it works in france, i just meant here

like, i used to work for 911 dispatch. it was in the police department. The person taking the calls was also the police receptionist. the fire department dispatcher sat right next to the police dispatcher, and if fire or emt was sent on a call then the police almost always were too

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I saw an FDNY higher-up eating at a restaurant wearing a Thin Red Line shirt which confused me more than anything

What exactly are they the thin red line between

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin

there's a reason I only said "a lot of them!" plus i have no idea how it works in france, i just meant here

like, i used to work for 911 dispatch. it was in the police department. The person taking the calls was also the police receptionist. the fire department dispatcher sat right next to the police dispatcher, and if fire or emt was sent on a call then the police almost always were too

I agree with you

Especially in rural areas, there a big "first responders" fusion paramedics, EMT, volunteer firefighters all worship cops

Most of them do, anyways

And a majority of that group are fascists or at least racist "fuck yeah America I make liberals cry fuck your feelings snowflake"

I agree with you

Especially in rural areas, there a big "first responders" fusion paramedics, EMT, volunteer firefighters all worship cops

Most of them do, anyways

And a majority of that group are fascists or at least racist "fuck yeah America I make liberals cry fuck your feelings snowflake"

but you repeat yourself

N9H777l.jpg

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I saw an FDNY higher-up eating at a restaurant wearing a Thin Red Line shirt which confused me more than anything

Flags and fire

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Was it a movie t-shirt?

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

Fire and not fire? I think it makes more sense than the blue line to be honest

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    How would you even tell that there's a red line on the US flag? Does it replace a white line or a red line with a different shade of red?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    How would you even tell that there's a red line on the US flag? Does it replace a white line or a red line with a different shade of red?

You know the Thin Blue Line flags where it's all black and white except for one blue line?

The Thin Red Line flag is exactly like that, but with a red stripe instead of a blue stripe.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Ask them if they were at the Battle of Balaclava

DarkPrimus wrote: »

You know the Thin Blue Line flags where it's all black and white except for one blue line?

The Thin Red Line flag is exactly like that, but with a red stripe instead of a blue stripe.

That dumb shit is super popular around me in rural Pennsylvania

Or that, but across a punisher skull

What the fuck does that mean?

Three cars in the parking lot at my small workplaces have it, I know of one individual who has it tattooed on their flesh

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Pretty much if I see anybody with an altered version of the US flag I just assume it's for some dumb shit right-wing thing if I don't recognize it and do my best to avoid dealing with that person

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of into the idea of punishing fire, tbh.

Anyway, the worst one is prison guards have a silver line. There are literally no positive depictions of prison guards, give it up guys

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Wait. Is the silver line supposed to represent the metal jail bars?

Well I guess 11 in the morning is as good a time as any to start drinking.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    The basic idea is that these public servants are the thin barrier between order and total unbridled chaos.

H0b0man wrote: »
    Pretty much if I see anybody with an altered version of the US flag I just assume it's for some dumb shit right-wing thing if I don't recognize it and do my best to avoid dealing with that person

It's also really good for this though.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    No no no, you all have it wrong

It's a coloring book!

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

Three cars in the parking lot at my small workplaces have it, I know of one individual who has it tattooed on their flesh

All the shit heads around here decided to get dont tread on me flags at the same time.

Like one day, none of them, next day see like 8 on my commute.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    This meme is out of control and makes my head hurt.

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Please. Please.

For the sake of what little sanity we have remaining. Copy the text of tweets and tell people who the fuck the tweeter is and why we should care.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    remember the story a week or so ago where police in colorado had some medics shoot a dude up with ketamine for no reason and killed him?

this other dude made it out okay, despite the fact that he was passed out drunk when the cops called him and mixing booze and ketamine is dangerous as hell, but it did land him in the ICU for a couple days

i'm looking forward to somebody proposing a law banning police from holding people down while medical people drug them against their will for no other reason than "the fuck you gonna do about it." it also seems to me like the medical people definitely get some share of the blame in this shit too
    It is scarily common to just put a person in crisis in a k-hole. I brought it up with a paramedic friend and they didn't even seem to care about the ethical ramifications. I found it disgusting.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    NVM

JusticeforPluto on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

All the shit heads around here decided to get dont tread on me flags at the same time.

Don't Tread On Me might as well be the official flag of New England.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Really? I was more used to seeing the confederate than the snake growing up in Connecticut.

It is scarily common to just put a person in crisis in a k-hole. I brought it up with a paramedic friend and they didn't even seem to care about the ethical ramifications. I found it disgusting.

that is just so fucked up

i've never done the stuff myself but i used to hang out with some folks who did semi-regularly. i'm ambivalent about people willingly subjecting themselves to that shit, to say nothing of just doping people up rather than dealing with whatever's actually wrong with them

like okay i'm not a medical professional so maybe i don't get to have a say in shit like this, but jesus

The fire and everything else are recent additions in the past few years as far as I've observed. The thin blue line bit was started in the late 90s early 2000s. Just a very simple signal that you were a cop or cop adjacent and that the cops should take it easy on you. It didn't have anything but a black rectangle bisected by a thin blue line, usually a license plate. It's now evolved to be laced into a bunch of violent nationalist iconography which is just thoroughly unsurprising.

Straightzi wrote: »

Really? I was more used to seeing the confederate than the snake growing up in Connecticut.

ain't that a trip? some dude in his pristine lifted truck with a confederate flag and you briefly forget you're in the northeast and the person flying the flag almost definitely doesn't have any actual connection to the south besides the 'cism

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    We’re just seeing the battle for the new iconography that will replace the confederate* flag

*which wasn’t the actual confederate flag but whatevs we’re talking about representations of ideals

Straightzi wrote: »

ain't that a trip? some dude in his pristine lifted truck with a confederate flag and you briefly forget you're in the northeast and the person flying the flag almost definitely doesn't have any actual connection to the south besides the 'cism

Yeah it's wild.

I grew up in the Northeast corner of the state, real liberal town but maybe not so much the more rural surrounding areas. As in like... my dad rode his bike by a Klan rally in broad daylight once.

In some ways, I feel like it was a helpful way to unlearn some of the stuff that I was being taught about racism being a thing that happened in the South or maybe flyover states, and not the enlightened Northeast. Not to say that I was some sort of anti-racist wunderkind (I fucking sucked as a teenager) or that my peers didn't get there eventually themselves, but y'know, it helps.

you're hella right about the north vs south thing. we have no hope until we can stop framing it like the benighted hill people in the south are doing all the racism while we enlightenedly tut tut at them, meanwhile last i heard the north was still more segregated than the south

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Please. Please.

For the sake of what little sanity we have remaining. Copy the text of tweets and tell people who the fuck the tweeter is and why we should care.
    Sometimes they're videos.

This discussion has been closed.