As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WOOF WOOF: It's a Dog Thread

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    She does this to humans too

She does 3 things in her life now, roughly daily in this order:
    Play golf
    Make 30lbs of food
    Drink a bottle of wine

She and her husband eat maybe 1 pound of that food and the rest is forced on my wife and I and our dogs

Anyway, my little one enjoys her new round friend
    wmad0iiztqek.jpeg

(We don’t want her sitting on him but we couldn’t resist snapping that photo before teaching her that lesson)

Labs are so good- we went for a walk and my little one insisted on holding the lab’s leash (we let her hold the leash for my 10lb mini doodle)- without even needing the command, he heeled to me while I kept pace with my daughter for perfect loose leash walking

I guess it’s not too impressive since both our dogs stay underfoot whether on leash or not or in any environment, but it was a really heartwarming moment

Of course as soon as I got my phone out to capture it on video, she dropped the leash to run over and grab a stick off the ground /sigh

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    We were surprised recently that Darcy broke into the kitchen (we have a baby gate to keep her out) and took only one banana from the bunch.

This is the same dog that broke into her food supply and ate so much that even after throwing up an almost entirely undigested pile of kibble nearly the size of my head was still unable to roll over because her belly was too big.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I'm very happy both of my dogs are self-feeders and established whose dog bowl was whose very quickly.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Used to have a lab named Bailey, she ran away one day.
    My brother spent hours that afternoon driving slowly around the neighborhood looking like a creeper (Hey, have you seen my dog?), and I sat front in case she decided to come home.

Eventually, he found somebody walking their own dog, who pointed him to a house 3 doors down from our own. The people who lived in that house had asked the other dog walkers if this mysterious dog that had showed up in their backyard was known to them. Our dog had escaped our yard, run three doors down, into their backyard and had spent the afternoon playing in their sprinklers with their kids.

Goofy, adorable dogs.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm totally biased because our dog growing up was a lab (well, lab / border collie, but she looked mostly lab) but labs are basically the best dogs.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    My family used to have a Dalmatian, so i have a big ol soft spot for them. Though if i get a chance to have a dog, i'm getting a mutt from the pound.

But Johnson was the goddest dog. Whatever the inverse of runt was, he was that - biggest of his litter. Very friendly, and very gentle, which is a good thing because kids ADORE dalmatians and would come running up at him. The worst that ever happened to a kid we couldn't stop in time was getting a big ol lick on the face.

He also mastered the art of catch food that fell off the bench before it could hit the ground. The kitchen was also accorded netural territoy between him and the cat, and anyone working in there would fidn themselves flanked on both sides. (He as a puppy tried to say hullo to the neighbour's cat and got scratched on his nose hard enough to draw blood for his trouble. He had cattrust issues afterwards).

He also had a habit of stealing apples and happily devouring them. Not sure why

This did inevitably backfire because the apples were stored next to the onions, and he apparently could not tell the difference. So he'd make to the lawn, bite in, and be VERY betrayed. (This is the same dog who once brought me back a lemon instead of his indestructible rubber ball)

He was a Good Dog

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Also ,another dog story for you all involving Johnson (A pretty damn smart dalmation, bringing wrong things aside!), Fergus (A... thick golden retriever, lovingly known as "Fungus Brains" by his owner), and an unnamed.. i cannot remember if they were a golden lab or retriever. I think they were a retriver, but not nearly as dumb.

Anyway, we'd all been out walking them, ordered chips for dinner, and had way too much to finish by ourselves as humans.

So we did the only humane thing: Split the remaining chips into three, added dog food, then wrapped the chips back up in the paper and present each dog with their own wrapped hot chips and dog food dinner.

Johnson just used his nose to flip the package open and happily devoured it. The unnamed retriever simply shredded the package open with her feet and went to town.

Fergus though? despite having TWO examples of how to solve this problem, he just stood their staring at the package mournfully. He could smell food, but there... wasn't food in it? How get food? This was a mystery to poor, poor fungus brain. (He was eventually taken mercy on and had his package opened up to nommify on)

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sorry I'm now trying to get my head around not one but three dogs who wouldn't simply eat the paper.

Yeah my dogs will happily take a piece of toilet paper from me and daintily rip it apart and gnosh upon it for a minute.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My dogs mostly don't eat non-food unless it's a stick.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Even I rarely manage to have dinner from a chippy without consuming some of the paper

tynic wrote: »
    Sorry I'm now trying to get my head around not one but three dogs who wouldn't simply eat the paper.

Look, there was paper, BUT, there was delicious dog food and HOT CHIPS. Human food! The mana from heaven for all dogs. They had their priorities strait.

Well, Johnson and the other one did, Fergus was just that dumb.

(Also, this was like a decade+ ago, getting close to two decades ago, maybe the did eat the paper! i cant remember. the important bit is Fergus's inability to problem solve even when "how to" guides were right there)

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    4zfyyhxspxe1.jpg
    c43h4og5y55b.jpg

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    @Cello Another socialization question for you. We've figured out that Kubo is pretty calm on leash around people if we have at least one of the other dogs with us, but on solo walks he gets nervous if there are people around. He doesn't bark or get aggressive or anything, he just tries to go in the opposite direction.

In terms of getting him to be calm in these situations, should we be focusing on solo walks to get him used to the idea of being the only dog around people, or walks with another dog to get him used to being around people in a way that's more comfortable for him, or switching it up? Thanks for any thoughts!

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I forgot about the dog thread!

Yesterday I met a neighbor's new puppy. Looked like a German Shepard with a bobbed tail, but they said he was half Aussie Shepard too. Very smart (and very very cute, but duh on that) little guy. Gonna have a lot of energy, I'm sure.

not at you chrom but why the fuck are people still docking dog tails

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    @Cello Another socialization question for you. We've figured out that Kubo is pretty calm on leash around people if we have at least one of the other dogs with us, but on solo walks he gets nervous if there are people around. He doesn't bark or get aggressive or anything, he just tries to go in the opposite direction.

In terms of getting him to be calm in these situations, should we be focusing on solo walks to get him used to the idea of being the only dog around people, or walks with another dog to get him used to being around people in a way that's more comfortable for him, or switching it up? Thanks for any thoughts!

Another dog who isn't going to be nervous can be a real shortcut! We're actually using Ivy like this for some particularly anxious dogs we're doing one-on-one lessons with, and have jokingly called her a dog therapy dog for it, haha.

Another thing you can do on the solo walks is if you can set it up with some friends, ask them to give Kubo a treat as they walk by - they can throw them to him if he's really nervous, or just give them to him out of their hands. In non-pandemic times I'd advise asking strangers to give him treats as well, but for safety sake it's okay if you want to just set the problem up with folks you know and trust!

Also if he stops or reacts in any way when encountering people on solo walks, don't react - if you make it into an *event* with a positive or negative reaction, it can become a source of anxiety later. Try to get him back on target and keep walking.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786

Because the dickheads in the AKC still post it as the normal style for some breeds, frustratingly.
    Cello wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

Another dog who isn't going to be nervous can be a real shortcut! We're actually using Ivy like this for some particularly anxious dogs we're doing one-on-one lessons with, and have jokingly called her a dog therapy dog for it, haha.

Another thing you can do on the solo walks is if you can set it up with some friends, ask them to give Kubo a treat as they walk by - they can throw them to him if he's really nervous, or just give them to him out of their hands. In non-pandemic times I'd advise asking strangers to give him treats as well, but for safety sake it's okay if you want to just set the problem up with folks you know and trust!

Also if he stops or reacts in any way when encountering people on solo walks, don't react - if you make it into an *event* with a positive or negative reaction, it can become a source of anxiety later. Try to get him back on target and keep walking.

Thanks! Yeah both Reo and Enzo are completely chill around even hordes of new people, so I hope some combination of just exposure to folks (which has been really hard because of this stupid pandemic) and seeing that his brothers aren't fussed about it will help Kubo realize there's no threat. My wife joined a facebook group that's the "alumni" for this litter of puppies from the rescue and apparently most or all of them are nervous around strange men, so I think they had a bad experience as very young puppies :(:(:(

We went to the park yesterday!

x55o82pmiziw.jpeg

We sat by the river while distanced from a friend and watched people/bikes/dogs/dogs in strollers walk by. Ivy was a pretty big fan!

Steam
    edited September 2020

My impression is there can be genuine health reasons for some dogs (Particularly fragile tails that get wagged too hard into things and broken repeatedly), but yeah, outside of that... (And a quick google tells me that the evidence for it helping there is pretty thin, apparently!)

I've always been a fan of how black labs will not only wag their tail, but their entire rear body. Just sheer OMG OMG OMG HI HULLO excitement.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My dog has a club for a tail
    I know I make fun of how buff my dog is but that tail is a weapon

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    We had a black lab that wagged the teeth out of the mouth of an elderly chihuahua. He was just so happy to see everyone all the time and the chihuahua never learned to not stand behind him when people came to the door

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    ffq8g2rn9mcn.jpeg

Here’s my lab working on his “stealth cheese thief” skills

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    1numdwwo1iyv.jpg

Hello, this thread is relevant to my interests. We just got a new cuddle puppy (I say this as she demands 30+ minutes a day of lap time from me).

Anyone have any recommendations for online shops for collars? Ivy's non-training collar is getting a little snug and she could use an upgrade.

Steam
    We've just tried a bunch from chewy and the sizing is very hit or miss. Get a bunch that look like they'll fit and return the ones that don't.
    Today is a dad/doggie day as the fam is at the in laws and she hates car rides so far (2 hr 29ijlkn22pjj.jpg
    ride was not in the cards)

Cello wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommendations for online shops for collars? Ivy's non-training collar is getting a little snug and she could use an upgrade.

This is the brand my local shelter carries, and I've been very happy with the slipover martingales featured here. I have a teal one and a red one and they've stayed colorfast.

Schuss what kind of dog is that? She looks like a Victorian teddy bear

Australian Labradoodle.
    My wife is crazy allergic to everything so we went as hypo allergenic as possible.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Also ,another dog story for you all involving Johnson (A pretty damn smart dalmation, bringing wrong things aside!), Fergus (A... thick golden retriever, lovingly known as "Fungus Brains" by his owner), and an unnamed.. i cannot remember if they were a golden lab or retriever. I think they were a retriver, but not nearly as dumb.

Anyway, we'd all been out walking them, ordered chips for dinner, and had way too much to finish by ourselves as humans.

So we did the only humane thing: Split the remaining chips into three, added dog food, then wrapped the chips back up in the paper and present each dog with their own wrapped hot chips and dog food dinner.

Johnson just used his nose to flip the package open and happily devoured it. The unnamed retriever simply shredded the package open with her feet and went to town.

Fergus though? despite having TWO examples of how to solve this problem, he just stood their staring at the package mournfully. He could smell food, but there... wasn't food in it? How get food? This was a mystery to poor, poor fungus brain. (He was eventually taken mercy on and had his package opened up to nommify on)

We tried two separate "Dog IQ Tests" for Haechi when he was a bb

1. The "blanket escape" test - place a blanket over your dog and see how long it takes him to escape. Haechi promptly went to sleep.
    2. The "hide a snack" test - place a snack under a towel or cloth and see how long it takes him to find and extract it. Haechi lost his mind barking at the dishtowel, eventually gave up, and then later saw the towel had been moved (snackless) to a low table at which point he stole it and started licking it as if the snack were still somehow inside (it wasn't).

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    Zig and Usch are both decent problem solvers, so they handle the towel and snack challenges pretty quickly (scaled for Berner). Mabel, in both cases, knows how to solve the problem (she has shown extreme ingenuity when it comes to jailbreaking snacks she is not supposed to have) but doesn't understand why she should have to, when obviously we were the ones who created the issue. So she'll just stand under the towel waiting for us to take it off. Ditto uncovering the snack. See also: standing at a mostly open door waiting for a human to open it fully* so she won't have to risk anything impinging on her personal space.

(*or one of the other two to barrel through like a misaimed cannonball).

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Both my mother's dog and when I had Gix knew how to open the fridge but two different reactions upon doing it
    Teddy would be oo the possibilities.
    Gix would be Fuck it's on the top shelf
    both knew how to open the door {Gix knew it was a push latch for the screen but only once used to show someone this was her house}

My dog knows that the door open a crack can be pushed open but he is a beast of muscle {he got bit on the face by a spider and he rubbed the swelled spot with his paw
    He did not have the deftness to do it but more than enough power to do it

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

We tried two separate "Dog IQ Tests" for Haechi when he was a bb

1. The "blanket escape" test - place a blanket over your dog and see how long it takes him to escape. Haechi promptly went to sleep.
    2. The "hide a snack" test - place a snack under a towel or cloth and see how long it takes him to find and extract it. Haechi lost his mind barking at the dishtowel, eventually gave up, and then later saw the towel had been moved (snackless) to a low table at which point he stole it and started licking it as if the snack were still somehow inside (it wasn't).

Lola fails the blanket test but also she loves being wrapped in bkankets so Im not sure if shes trying.

The snack test results border on precognition sometimes

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    speaking of docked tails

I want a corgi without a docked tail because they look so much cooler with a full tail

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I had a dream last night that I got a puppy. I may have been spending too much time on the staffy owners Facebook group I joined.

Dog Thread, Ivy was very insistent that I share my cheese and watermelon with her
    egx2284wce41.jpeg

I did but apparently 1/3 of the food on my snack plate was not enough, and she walked away after my plate was empty with the saddest look I have ever seen in a dog

She doesn't beg at the table because she knows she can rely on the other two dogs to do it for her and not put in the work, but when she's solo she turns the charm to max

Steam
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    well you see

she's starving

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    [citation needed]

Dog thread, my dog is now testing me

We're running two types of dog classes right now (basic obedience, and advanced, which includes everything from off-lead heeling to beginner dog sports to long distance recalls with distractions)

One of the exercises is called a Watch Me, where you have your dog look you in the eyes while you're walking, so you can keep their attention if you say, see a squirrel or another dog or something, but also to build eye contact in general as well as watching you for direction

Ivy did it perfectly for my Dad, and then barely looked me in the eye the entire time, even with a treat in hand

I think she's figured out I'm stingy with the treats, while my Dad is a little more generous, and she's trying to upsell me

I also had her do a down with a hand signal while demoing for the class and she decided to be funny with a lazy "Take a Bow" instead

My dog is trying to grift me into more treats during training, goddammit, smart dogs!!!

Steam