As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Kamigawa; where Keanu plays some sort of Cyborg Rat Ninja

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Just went up against some GW +1/+1 decks that seemed decent and I can get close to fielding without many wildcards. I'll have to mess around.

Also I just hit Level 80 on Mastery without the bonus 10 levels (I....don't think?), so that feels good. Trying to get to 90 before rotation. Gots my Hawaiian doggo!

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Adaptive Shimmerman

QvcXoQH.jpg4kbJYyE.jpgRiI0sVs.jpg67i6CkO.jpg5Yt4t6k.jpgkYZtUWy.jpg2qdga8j.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    I've said it before but my favorite thing in this game remains taking a pile of shit you built specifically to complete a quest into ranked and winning anyway. (Even if it was only bronze tier.)

Oh so you're the guy with 60SpotRemoval.dek

I called it Slay Living, thank you.

• Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    What gets me is that WOTC announced a D&D set, and they announced a set where the core mechanic is gathering up a party of warrior/wizard/cleric/rogue, and they're not the same set.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Airking850 wrote: »
    What gets me is that WOTC announced a D&D set, and they announced a set where the core mechanic is gathering up a party of warrior/wizard/cleric/rogue, and they're not the same set.

That confused me as well but when I found out the D&D set is a core set replacement it made more sense.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I like that Lotus Cobra is back.

It was never the crazy spike card that people predicted it would be, but it's still a lot of fun and can make for some crazy meme plays

and hey with uro and asuza and fabled passage floating around, maybe it'll be something this time

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

I wouldn't be surprised if Party comes back for the D&D set. Even if it is supposed to be a quasi-Core Set.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Retuned my debuff deck, now it just leans on the Archon to churn out pegasi:
    d42fmic89uls.png
    Far less fragile to the graveyard hate (scavenging ooze, mill decks), and hopefully gets a horde of pegasi out before Ugin? But probably not.

Yargle is the exact reason I bounced off of Dominaria when it first came out, so I feel like WotC is trolling me.

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Playing azorious fliers last hurrah before eagle and rally rotate.

Dont know which of those 2 cards I'll miss more.

discrider wrote: »
    Retuned my debuff deck, now it just leans on the Archon to churn out pegasi:
    d42fmic89uls.png
    Far less fragile to the graveyard hate (scavenging ooze, mill decks), and hopefully gets a horde of pegasi out before Ugin? But probably not.

Got out of gold, hit a wall.
    Want to build my 'I hate meta, build random piles or get your stuff exiled' deck, but it's a lot of wildcards

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    The rewards for Yargle wins being 900xp and 300xp is a wonderful touch.

• morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    Based on what we've seen so far, I'm pretty pumped to build a Jund/Party deck that uses a bunch of the payoff cards, specifically the 5 mana cost reduction tutor variant. Been a long time since there was a playable version of old school vampiric tutor rock. This is probably as close as we'll ever get again.

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
    First Yargle game was my Red vs mono-Black.
    I won because they ran out of cards.
    Neither of us could keep creatures on the field.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    First Yargle game was my Red vs mono-Black.
    I won because they ran out of cards.
    Neither of us could keep creatures on the field.

Yeah I played mono-B against R/B and I think I got down to 18 cards in my deck before I went fukkit and conceded. Luckily I had already gotten my wins and was just playing for my daily quest.

Yay historic brawl

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Yay historic brawl

I killed so many people with tinybones!

Take 10 to the face please!

I ate an engineer
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I got my historic brawl wins with Torbran, because I own no historic cards or human decency.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    milski wrote: »
    Yay historic brawl

I killed so many people with tinybones!

Take 10 to the face please!

somebody with a tinybones discard deck went up against my Calix deck

I give him credit for still trying even though I had a Leyline of Sanctity in play

He even kept going after I got Nine Lives + Solemnity in play! I have no idea what is gameplan was after that, but I respect his optimism.

But after assembling Divine Visitation, Anointed Procession, Honden of Life's Web, and Archon of Sun's Grace, that was just too much for him.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Tinybones goes through the Solemn Cat combo and through Leyline of sanctity. He could have theoretically been trying to dump your hand with non-targeted effects and win that way.

I ate an engineer
    milski wrote: »
    Tinybones goes through the Solemn Cat combo and through Leyline of sanctity. He could have theoretically been trying to dump your hand with non-targeted effects and win that way.

That might have been his plan, yeah. He got one card with The Eldest Reborn. But there
    isn't enough decent untargeted discard on Arena to fill a monoblack Brawl deck. Grixis, sure, because then you get the Nicol Bolas planeswalker.

Well motherfuck. I did not realize the Yargle event was only one day. I wanted that sweet XP

It's Thalia day in the Store today. I'd be real tempted to shell out some coins for that, if I played Historic and had Thalia, Guardian of Thraben.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Ugh, rakdos sacrifice is going to be gutted by the rotation.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Are tehre still online stories for free somewhere? I'm interested in the lore (esp Nahri) but I'm really not into the game (the digital game feels even more egregiously P2W than the physical cards, since at least with physical cards you get a piece of cardboard for your trouble)

*edit* Also, is there a free mode in this game that doesn't feel so... idk. The various quickmatch and ladder style modes just feel so full of ridiculous optimized 'meta' decks and meanwhile I'm like I have no idea what I'm doing and I just want to dick around and have fun and hopefully actually be able to earn more cards without paying real life money.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I wouldn't be surprised if Party comes back for the D&D set. Even if it is supposed to be a quasi-Core Set.
    I feel this is building up to D&D settings just being dumped into Magic at some point. Forgotten Realms are a Magic plane now, fuck it. D&D is easy to play on a budget, so they want to turn dice slingers into pack buyers.

YL9WnCY.png
    Are tehre still online stories for free somewhere? I'm interested in the lore (esp Nahri) but I'm really not into the game (the digital game feels even more egregiously P2W than the physical cards, since at least with physical cards you get a piece of cardboard for your trouble)

Funny you should ask. After a few attempts to monetize the Magic story, for Zendikar Wizards has gone back to free stories on their website, twice a week. One the 'main' storyline (Nahiri, Nissa, Jace), the other side stories about people on Zendikar.

There're two stories already out at the moment.

In the Heart of the Skyclave
    Red Route

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Are tehre still online stories for free somewhere? I'm interested in the lore (esp Nahri) but I'm really not into the game

They moved away from it for a good while, but Zendikar Rising will have stories up on DailyMTG.com on Wednesdays (main story) and Fridays (side stories), the first of which went up last week.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

*edit* Also, is there a free mode in this game that doesn't feel so... idk. The various quickmatch and ladder style modes just feel so full of ridiculous optimized 'meta' decks and meanwhile I'm like I have no idea what I'm doing and I just want to dick around and have fun and hopefully actually be able to earn more cards without paying real life money.

You will see meta decks in every mode which allows them. Direct match a friend or vs bot to avoid a meta deck but also it doesnt grant quest or daily win progress. Various limited events avoid meta decks by nature, but have entry fees.

IMHO the "softest" competition is usually on the ranked ladder at lowest ranks. You may think "play" mode being unranked would have more janky but it is instead saturated with tuned decks of all player ranks that just want fast wins.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I dunno I've run into way more jank in Play than I have in bronze dumpster tier the few times I've queued there.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    As someone who only recently started playing Arena, my experience has been that my opposition in the Play queue seems to be vaguely balanced based on how many rares I have in the deck I’m playing.

So, even if it’s some super jank, if I put a bunch of rare lands to make it function, my opponents tend towards tuned meta decks. However, if I’m just playing any of the unmodified New Player decks they give you, my opponents tend to be running similar or worse. So I do most questing with those decks.

I still call bullshit on the matchmaking algorithm and think it shouldn't be used. Just let me go against the next person in queue. Don't throw 4 straight mono-white lifegain decks at my homebrew RDW.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I still call bullshit on the matchmaking algorithm and think it shouldn't be used. Just let me go against the next person in queue. Don't throw 4 straight mono-white lifegain decks at my homebrew RDW.

Yeah, they need to get rid of that. They also do crap with the what cards you draw besides the lands at start it seems.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

Funny you should ask. After a few attempts to monetize the Magic story, for Zendikar Wizards has gone back to free stories on their website, twice a week. One the 'main' storyline (Nahiri, Nissa, Jace), the other side stories about people on Zendikar.

There're two stories already out at the moment.

In the Heart of the Skyclave
    Red Route

oh awesome! honestly the stories were a favorite thing, but not enough that I wanted to buy the books.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    Debuff deck is currently working through Platinum.
    Seems like all the Ugins have moved into Diamond, so it's a lot less rough in here than it was a couple of days ago.
    Currently looks like this:
    3fdnzhq0jod2.png

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »

Yeah, they need to get rid of that. They also do crap with the what cards you draw besides the lands at start it seems.

The deck-matching only applies to your first ~50 or so games, on the theory that "people with no cards or nothin'" shouldn't have to deal with Ugin all the time.

Shuffler (in BO1 only if I recall) just deals 2 hands from two different randomized decks, and then gives you the one closest to the mean for your deck's land %. Doesn't adjust anything else. The shuffle is purely random.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Kira, Great Glass-Spinner is the icing on the cake that platinum is just bronze rank with a different color. Have yet to find a person who reads/understands it...

edited September 2020
    Debuff deck is currently working through Platinum.
    Seems like all the Ugins have moved into Diamond, so it's a lot less rough in here than it was a couple of days ago.
    Currently looks like this:
    3fdnzhq0jod2.png

Having trouble at the top of platinum with all the Adventure decks.
    Will have to craft two more Doom Foretolds and sub in for an Archon and a Envoy, cause they hate having their lockets sacrificed.

discrider on