As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

3D model viewer for iPad?

SteevLSteevL What can I do for you?Registered User regular
So I work somewhere that recently made a 3D printer available to the public. They submit jobs online and then we attempt to print them. People love watching it in action, and one of the most common questions is "what's it printing?" Today I started looking into ways to show people what the finished product might look like. I printed out a screenshot of what we were printing, but what I'd really like is to have a screen that shows off the model in 3D.

Turns out we have an iPad that we're not using, and we have a lock that can be used to keep it chained next to the 3D printer. Now all I need is a good model viewer app. Anyone have any suggestions?We've only received .stl files from the public so far. It'd be preferable if it were free and just had a simple view of the model; maybe it might have the camera rotate around the model?

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Thanks, seems like it'd be sufficient. It'd be nice if we could get the ads disabled, but I'm not confident about getting my place of employment to shell out the $1.99 for that.

In the end, I couldn't use that app because it required iOS 10.0 or higher and the ipad we had was super old and couldn't update past iOS 9.3.5. After about two hours of digging through the app store (several apps compatible with 9.3.5 crashed), I went with an app called BuildMeUp! which surprisingly has no ads at all.

Got the ipad secured with a lock cable and have the app locked down so no one can mess with it.
    y7dky6ij71h0.png

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    On the one hand, great job.

On the other hand, a company not being willing to pay $1.99 for something that would help with their customer experience is astounding to me and I’d be surprised if they’d actually said no.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
    Six wrote: »
    On the one hand, great job.

On the other hand, a company not being willing to pay $1.99 for something that would help with their customer experience is astounding to me and I’d be surprised if they’d actually said no.

I was vague before, but this is government. We probably could have gotten the spending approved, but it has to go through a few people, and we wanted quicker results. And in the end, that $1.99 app didn't even work on the ipad, and this particular app turned out to be a better fit with no ads and being free!

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    A government run store?

steam_sig.png
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    A government run store?

Public library