As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars Squadrons] Free on Game Pass!

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I tried playing Battlefront 2 on a 9900k with a 2080 Ti, but for some odd reason, the particular combination of hardware that my PC consists of was unable to run the game at anything above roughly 15-20 fps, and even at 3440x1440 and the highest settings there's something not quite right there. Here's hoping that Squadrons will run better.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Actively thinking of just gifting this game to friends to guarantee having an initial squadron, but no Steam-like gifting on PS4 :(.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Actively thinking of just gifting this game to friends to guarantee having an initial squadron, but no Steam-like gifting on PS4 :(.

It's less sexy, but just venmo with a memo?

I am in the business of saving lives.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    It's less sexy, but just venmo with a memo?
    But a reasonable solution like that means I can't loudly whine about it being impossible and "I guess they'll just have to get it themselves."

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Aside from the obvious visual leap from 20 years of better technology, one big advantage this game could have over the Totally Games series--not being constrained by a shared mechanical model.

In the four major titles produced by Totally Games, and their expansions, all fighters effectively function the same way: they have some some number of laser cannons, they have some number of ion cannons, both in a certain placement, they have some secondary weapon (countermeasure or beam, each of some type), and some pair of warhead launchers. A simple configuration file edit accounts for the overwhelming majority of gameplay differences between ships. It means once you learn to fly one ship, you basically know how to fly them all, but still...

Take the TIE Bomber. Despite being a bizarre shape (two symmetrical pods, meaning the cockpit if offset to the payload), it basically just amounts to a Y-Wing that is faster, more maneuverable, and doesn't carry shields (usually). It even has two warhead launchers, because all ships have them in pairs, just crammed together and offset to the player's left. And that worked in those games. But there's no reason, in Squadrons (except for balance ones), that you can't model a TIE Bomber to carry as much combat ordnance as two or three Y-Wings or B-Wings (it's certainly large enough), that it can spit out with unparalleled speed courtesy of the gigantic firing port on the left module. Or model it so that a good hit on the right side does relatively little (possible causes a system failure), whereas a penetrating hit on the payload side can cause a catastrophic ammunition explosion. That makes the TIE Bomber fundamentally unique among the other ships in the game, a dedicated small bomber versus the all the other fighter-bombers.

Just a thought. Balance comes first, admittedly.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Coming to Rogue Squadron from XWA was hugely disappointing.

I've always been a fan of the ace combat or rogue squadron level of arcade, personally. I just want to have dogfights with straightforward controls. I admit, every time I want to try a space sim game I get scared off when I go look at the button config screen and see like forty keybinds!

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Hopefully if this takes off and makes money, we can get something like X-Wing Alliance in the future. I didn't realize how huge that game was in comparison to the others.
    Banging fists on the heavy wooden table in front of me to emphasize each word
    Mission! Editor! Mission! Editor! Mission! Editor! Mission! Edi-

hlprmnky on
    _
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    So this can be played with 2 people with & vs AI, right? I thought I saw that. Getting this to play with my brother, a casual SW fan but normally a SMG-run-and-gun-CoD player. The gameplay looks way slower than that, obviously, so dragging him into multiplayer seems like it make him bounce off quickly.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    monkeykins wrote: »
    So this can be played with 2 people with & vs AI, right? I thought I saw that. Getting this to play with my brother, a casual SW fan but normally a SMG-run-and-gun-CoD player. The gameplay looks way slower than that, obviously, so dragging him into multiplayer seems like it make him bounce off quickly.

From what I remember reading, Single Player missions and Multiplayer modes can be played against AI with up to 4 other players. I'll have to find the source on that.

edit: Its been stated multiple times that Fleet Battles and Dogfighting can be played against AI and even offline. I have yet to find where it says single player campaign can be played as a squad, I think I was wrong on that. :/

ObiFett on
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    That's perfect either way, just a fleet battle or two once a week while we chat and get that sweet sweet SW audio is probably more than enough.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Yeah, if I do get this, all I really want is to play with some friends vs AI.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I definitely wanna get a dedicated squad together to fly competitively in this. I used to be in an XvT clan waaaaay back in the day and I'm really looking forward to reliving that sort of dogfighting goodness.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited September 2020
    Crossposting from SE++
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Squadrons will support throttle and joystick peripherals even on consoles through a day-one patch:

I was already buying two copies of this so my daughters and/or wife could play with me from the Xbox (while I play in VR on my PC). Now I gotta buy them a joystick that works with the Xbox. This $40 game is turning out to be very expensive!

ObiFett on
  • eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Agreed, I was planning on getting a HOTAS for the Xbox as well. Any recommendations on good ones would be appreciated!

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
    I now also require HOTAS recommendations for the PS4. As far as I’m aware there’s only one officially-supported (by Sony) model and it gets ...not great reviews.

_
    I think the T.Flight HOTAS gets pretty good reviews? They make those for the Xbox and PS as well.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    How the heck do the console HOTAS setups... Set up? Do you need like, a desk or a mount or something? I have trouble picturing how these become couch-compatible, but I've always wanted one.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The only one I'm familiar with for the PS4 is this one. And looking up some reviews for it (most of which were positive), I saw a few images of it just sitting on someone's lap. Not sure how comfortable that would actually be though.

I have fond memories of X-Wing Alliance, and my Sidewinder stick w/force feedback. The feedback that thing could put out could snap your wrist. Forget just rumbling. If your engines got shot out, the stick would slam into a corner, and my 14 year old arms could barely center it. You could forget doing anything until they got repaired.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    The only one I'm familiar with for the PS4 is this one. And looking up some reviews for it (most of which were positive), I saw a few images of it just sitting on someone's lap. Not sure how comfortable that would actually be though.

I have fond memories of X-Wing Alliance, and my Sidewinder stick w/force feedback. The feedback that thing could put out could snap your wrist. Forget just rumbling. If your engines got shot out, the stick would slam into a corner, and my 14 year old arms could barely center it. You could forget doing anything until they got repaired.

Yea that stick was awesome. I think it had more torque than my first car.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Hm. Maybe. Some digging came up with a couple really interesting Ikea conversions for a chair I actually already own, too. Not the same as "slouched on my couch" but if I get to play pilot...? I would love to play both Elite and this with an actual HOTAS, just flying around in circles mumbling "pew pew". (Though TIEs do need a yoke, technically...)

Yeah, the T.Flight was the one I was thinking of - lots of 5-star “Works great for AC7!!!” reviews, and nearly as many 1- to 3-star “developed uncurable X-axis drift after 32 days of use” or “throttle tension cannot be adjusted; throttle topples over to 0 or MAX at the slightest jostle!” reviews.
    Yet, it is the only PS4 HOTAS with official support. I suspect that I will end up buying it and then end up agreeing with the review I read on Amazon that ends “I would gladly pay Thrustmaster twice as much for a HOTAS that is built well enough to last.”

_
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2VmOqjV_7Q

"Meet one of the ace pilots you’ll fly alongside in STAR WARS™: Squadrons in this original standalone CG short, made in collaboration by Motive Studios, Lucasfilm, and ILM."

Airs 9/14 @ 11am (47 hrs from now)

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Have there been any videos of the cockpits in VR? I’m still concerned about visibility.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    I don't see why they'd be particularly different from the models they're using in the game presently (which are oriented towards stylistic "accuracy" with film shots combined with a Totally Games style usable UI). VR space ship games with mediocre (or bad) visibly isn't that uncommon, if you were that worried about visibility, you wouldn't be playing VR (and you'd turn off the cockpit view).

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I don't see why they'd be particularly different from the models they're using in the game presently (which are oriented towards stylistic "accuracy" with film shots combined with a Totally Games style usable UI). VR space ship games with mediocre (or bad) visibly isn't that uncommon, if you were that worried about visibility, you wouldn't be playing VR (and you'd turn off the cockpit view).

I think it's more of a concern here because TIEs have, like, the worst visibility of any sci-fi strike craft, while the Rebel craft are pretty good.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular

This viewpoint is everything wrong with the genre.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。

Isn’t more “everything wrong with current VR technology”? I haven’t played a PvP flight sim in VR yet, but what I’ve gleaned from discussions of e.g. Warthunder is that while it would be super awesome to have identical capability to discern what another plane is from Far Away in VR and not-VR, the effective resolution of even the really expensive PC-bound headsets just is not good enough yet. So in that particular case “that worried about visibility” doesn’t mean some kind of aesthetic choice, it means that if your primary concern is maximum PvP effectiveness, you would choose flat-screen over VR for a slight edge in target discrimination at extreme range.

_
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »

Isn’t more “everything wrong with current VR technology”? I haven’t played a PvP flight sim in VR yet, but what I’ve gleaned from discussions of e.g. Warthunder is that while it would be super awesome to have identical capability to discern what another plane is from Far Away in VR and not-VR, the effective resolution of even the really expensive PC-bound headsets just is not good enough yet. So in that particular case “that worried about visibility” doesn’t mean some kind of aesthetic choice, it means that if your primary concern is maximum PvP effectiveness, you would choose flat-screen over VR for a slight edge in target discrimination at extreme range.

My HTC Vive definitely suffered from resolution issues in games like Elite Dangerous, but that was more with the various text on screens if I saw something in the distance that I wasnt sure of a quick target select would tell me what it was. If the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games are anything to go by I am going to assume its going to be similar here. I also recently got an Index and the resolution/screen door effect issues that are present on the HTC Vive are largely none issues with the Index.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

"Meet one of the ace pilots you’ll fly alongside in STAR WARS™: Squadrons in this original standalone CG short, made in collaboration by Motive Studios, Lucasfilm, and ILM."

Reminder: this starts in ~24 minutes.

edited September 2020
    Orogogus wrote: »

I think it's more of a concern here because TIEs have, like, the worst visibility of any sci-fi strike craft, while the Rebel craft are pretty good.

Not really. It sucks for quite a few of them. X-Wing's have excellent visibility directly above them and, unlike TIE Fighters, no visibility below the angle of attack (the opposite direction in other words).

Y-Wings--my second favorite Rebel fighter-bomber--have shit visibility in every direction that isn't forward (only half-shit to their immediate left and right), and much, much worse visibility than a TIE Fighter looking forward, because they have an armored canopy. Ironically, this might be why they get slaughtered by TIE Fighters in A New Hope (or part of the reason).

A-Wings have better forward visibility, though it's still poor at low angles of attack, for the same reason, and like a TIE Fighter, they have nonexistent visibility behind them. B-Wings are similar, but worse.

Synthesis on

That short was awesome.

Why haven't we gotten a Star Wars Top Gun movie yet?

That was Good™.

_
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Really, really enjoyed the personality and style of that short. If the story itself has that level of care put into it, we're getting a really good pilot game here.

That short was fantastic and a movie with no Jedi, just following a starfighter squadron, could be amazing.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    That short was fantastic and a movie with no Jedi, just following a starfighter squadron, could be amazing.

From your lips to Coran Horn's ears...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    That missile redirect thing the TIE did is an actual component in the game.

My friend says that the entirety of the cockpit and the way he uses it in the short is almost exactly the same as in the game, too. Only difference he could find is that the game doesn't show exact or permanent damage location on your own ship like that TIE pilot kept seeing. It just a number indicating ship health percentage under the picture of the ship.

edited September 2020
    ObiFett wrote: »

That short was awesome.

Why haven't we gotten a Star Wars Top Gun movie yet?

Well, back when they were churning one out every year it probably would've happened (it just not have been good, but that never stopped Top Gun :lol: ).

In the meantime, you may have to settle for blasting Kenny Loggins while watching the TIE Fighter animation.

Synthesis on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I came here from @KoopahTroopah posting the video in the Steam thread and yeah, pre-ordered this for my PS4. Japanese looking pilot got me to buy this immediately... plus the whole, "I'M GOING TO BE ABLE TO FLY OFF A RAIL INTO A SHIP," feeling I get while watching the video.

I'm so going to be terrible at flying and shooting in MP, but going to enjoy every second of it.

Edit: Wait, Singleplayer is in??? OH yes! I'm in heaven now. Seeing the HOTAS support makes me actually want to fix the broken Thrustmaster for my PS4 version now (it is just one piece I need to buy and swap), or buy it on PC to use my Warthog.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    The last HOTAS I owned plugged into an AT style keyboard port with an intercept kinda cable!