As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Yakuza: Like a Thread

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I have now played all the Yakuzas

Final rankings:

Yakuza 0/Yakuza 5 (tie)
    Judgment
    Yakuza 3
    Yakuza 2
    Yakuza 1
    Yakuza 4
    Yakuza 6

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

Final rankings:

Yakuza 0/Yakuza 5 (tie)
    Judgment
    Yakuza 3
    Yakuza 2
    Yakuza 1
    Yakuza 4
    Yakuza 6

I'd put 4 higher and Judgement slightly lower (maybe between 1 & 2), but otherwise this matches up pretty well with my own opinions

EDIT: Oh yeah, overall Yakuza 6 thoughts?
    For a game that seems to be very focused on Haruka and the consequences of her actions, the game sure does her dirty. She hasn't had this little agency in the plot since she was first introduced.

Also, the ending of Yakuza 6 is so much worse of a capstone for Kiryu and Haruka's shared story arc than 5's ending that it kinda makes me go, "Why did they even bother with 6?"

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    i would probably put kiwami 2 and then kiwami under zero but otherwise agree

6's ending really is a big wet fart

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I still have maybe half of 5 to go so I'll save the full ranking until then, but I know Zero is at the top. It's almost unfair how much that game distills this franchise's whole energy and accomplishes such amazing things with it

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah I still have to finish 4, 5 and 6 but so far I'd go.

I played the Kiwami versions of 1 and 2 and while Kiwami 1 was eh I really liked Kiwami 2.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Yeah I landed the same, coming off zero(having already played 3-6) I didn't like Kiwami 1 all that much but enjoyed Kiwami 2 a bunch.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Probably because Yakuza 2 has such a great villain.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The biggest issue with Kiwami 1 is that while they updated the graphics and combat system, it's still a mid 2000's game at its heart. Most of the wackier side stuff wasn't in the original release and instead they have a ton of substories about people getting scammed in very similar ways.

2 seems to be where they really started to figure out what the franchise identity was going to be.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    The whole Majima everywhere thing was a good idea and funny but the implementation was ughhhh.
    I'm gonna have to fight him how many times to unlock moves? Each individual bit is funny, but I don't want to do each of them ten times over.

Hmm should we also include that Fist of the North Star game in these rankings

My brain says no but my heart says AAAAAAATATATATATATATATATA

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm Judgment and HnK are interesting to me.

I would say Judgment had the most interesting mystery of the Yakuza-like games and HnK had the best combat.

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I bought the Fist of the North Star game, but I haven't played it yet

I should probably do that soon

It's the best bartender sim I've played

So finished 3 officially now on to 4.

Super interested to see how I like it since it always seems to fall on the lower end of most people's rankings.

So "I'm not gonna help this woman escape her abusive home situation because she isn't willing to do everything in her power to escape said abusive situation" didn't really hit the way I think the writers wanted it to.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    Oh I didn't know Saejima was the guy in the coat.

The hair threw me off.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    *Looks at watch* Now is a pretty good time

H0b0man wrote: »
    *Looks at watch* Now is a pretty good time

Please, no, I've got shit to do!!!!

Wait
    What is that one? Is that the Miyamoto Musashi one?

Nah that's Yakuza Kenzan. This is the other samurai Yakuza game

I had no idea there was another one

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    But they're already here in the west? (Sad that I don't have original print runs of them.)

rK7pYh4.jpg

They also have translation guides. Kenzan! Ishin.

(I would be really happy for these, or even just Ishin, to get an actual English release.)

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited September 2020
    So far I will say my main complaint about Yakuza 4 is while the 4 character perspective is cool the game still having a similar chapter length as the previous titles meaning that plot and gameplay wise you never really get a chance to settle with any of the characters.

Dragkonias on
    Fighter Maker is a pretty fun minigame.

The 4th guy sucked ass though.

Dragkonias wrote: »
    So far I will say my main complaint about Yakuza 4 is while the 4 character perspective is cool the game still having a similar chapter length as the previous titles meaning that plot and gameplay wise you never really get a chance to settle with any of the characters.

Yeah, the pacing on Y4 is rough. Y5 juggles characters much more adroitly.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Yeah, the pacing on Y4 is rough. Y5 juggles characters much more adroitly.

On the other hand, they don't fit into the story as smoothly, but it's less 'all one character, done, on to the next' than Y4.

wVEsyIc.png
    What the hell is this Running Girl game show Haruka does

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    What the hell is this Running Girl game show Haruka does

Japan.

wVEsyIc.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Final rankings:

Yakuza 0/Yakuza 5 (tie)
    Judgment
    Yakuza 3
    Yakuza 2
    Yakuza 1
    Yakuza 4
    Yakuza 6

It's always interesting how low other put Y6

My list is:

Judgment
    Y6
    Y5
    Y3
    Y4
    Y2/Y1(I can't remember enough details to be sure I played both at launch)

edited September 2020
    I'm actually gonna hurry through 4 cause I'm interested to getting to 5 and 6.

Outside of 0 those seem to be the ones people have the strongest opinions on and I want to try it myself.

Dragkonias on
    edited September 2020
    I was curious why the cop guy in 4 never showed up again so I read about it and remembered oh yeah Japan takes its drug laws very seriously.e

Shame I kind of liked his character.

Dragkonias on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/05/making-a-slow-getaway-ageing-population-japans-yakuza
    Not related to the games, but it sounds like Yakuza 8 needs to be heavily focused on grandfathers.
    The real Yakuza is aging out of existence.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    Well...tbf Kiryu is what...like 55 at this point.

He just has a great skincare regimen and keeps in shape.

That's some terrible security for 1 billion dollars.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Finished Yakuza 5. Just have some Victory Road stuff to do and a Platinum trophy to never get because my stupid brain can't parse mahjong or shogi.
    Boy that plot turned into a fucking mess in the final act. And I'm sad that it took until Yakuza 6 for someone to hear the Final Bad Guy speech and go "Nah, fuck your sob story" because boy howdy Kurosawa and Aizawa needed one.

The final boss fight was pretty baller, though.
    Not quite the level of Y0's final fight, but great nonetheless.

So that's all the mainline Yakuza games played with time to decompress before Yakuza 7 flips the script. I am very ready.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    So I'm on 5 but I do have some thoughts about 3 and 4.
    Its interesting to me cause they have the biggest contrast as far as Yakuza games go imo.

I've always thought Kiryu existed as two people. Kiryu, the character, and Kiryu, the player character. One is the person with his own motivations, shortcomings, and personal conflict. The other is the Deus Ex Machina who takes on 100 guys with swords and guns and wins cause the plot needs him to.

And if 3 was Kiryu at his most human I would say 4 is the opposite.

IMO, while previous things Kiryu did are very important to the plot, his presence not so much. I would say his story was the weakest part of the time game, so much so that Daigo as an antagonist felt tacked on cause they had a cool 4v4 planned for the ending.

Kiryu only really exists in that game to push the other characters in the right direction. And if I'm being honest, his own plot was so weak that he could have been removed and the game would have mostly been the same. But you can't remove Kiryu cause he's Kiryu.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    For me, the best Yakuza was my first: Yakuza Zero. Having gone through the rest of the mainline series, it's the distillation of all the best elements of 1-5, and it has the best story of the series, and it has my favorite portrayal of Kiryu and Majima and my favorite boss lineup.

Judgement is my #2. I'm going to have to think hard about the rest of my rankings.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Zero is the best game in the series, there's no doubt about that.

This discussion has been closed.