As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Talk About [2020 Elections] Like Grownups!

This here is your official thread for discussing the great basket of wonder and joy that is the upcoming 2020 election.

What You Can Talk About:

- Any national or local 2020 US election.
- The impact of the conventions that just happened.
- The policy platforms of candidates AS THEY PERTAIN TO THE ELECTIONS. "Biden plans to roll out a public option" is okay. "A public option is awesome because of X,Y, and Z" is not.
- Polls related to the election.
- Voting outreach efforts
- Other things that directly pertain to the 2020 election and have not been explicitly banned.

What You Can't Talk About:

- The 2020 primaries that have already occurred. Upcoming 2020 primaries, if there are any left, are okay.
- Bernie Sanders
- 20-motherfucking-16
- Hillary Fucking Clinton
- Policy in general. This is not the place to discuss health care or taxes or policing in general. We have threads for all those things! If not, feel free to make one!
- Who you plan to personally vote for. Nothing good has ever come from a conversation in these threads about why you're definitely voting for Biden / voting third party / not voting. Just rest assured that your personal reasons for voting are the best in the whole world and everyone agrees with you and thinks you're smart and good looking. Masterfully done, you.

If you have previously been banned from this thread, you are still banned from this thread, sorry. Rest assured you can participate in discussions when 2024 rolls around, assuming elections are still a thing that exists in that far away time.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2020
    Geth, kick @Glyph from the thread.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative ElJeffe. @Glyph banned from this thread.

• Options
    Geth, kick @Lanz from the thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative ElJeffe. @Lanz banned from this thread.

• Options
    Geth, kick @jungleroomx from the thread.

• Options
    Affirmative ElJeffe. @jungleroomx banned from this thread.

• Options
    Geth, kick @Magell from the thread.

• Options
    Affirmative ElJeffe. @Magell banned from this thread.

• Options
    Geth, kick @Elendil from the thread.

• Options
    Affirmative ElJeffe. @Elendil banned from this thread.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    thanks for making this and here's to your (as well has @Bogart and @Jacobkosh) mental health and sanity moving forward moderating the next 100 pages

FIRED UP!

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Geth, kick @Styrofoam Sammich from the thread.

Geth, kick @painfulPleasance from the thread.

• Options
    Affirmative ElJeffe. banned from this thread.

• Options
    Affirmative ElJeffe. @painfulPleasance banned from this thread.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm surprised you have to ban these people in individual posts as opposed to a list.

On topic:
    A quick read through has me as a yes on all the CA propositions, am I missing anything?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    WHILE WE WERE AWAY:

The RNC celebrated fascism in all its horrifying glory.
    Liberals briefly freaked out because some not high quality polls showed Biden only up like 6 or something.
    Today a bunch of very high quality polls came out and they show that literally nothing has moved this race since March. Biden's up high single digits. There was one rough state poll of Pennsylvania, but even in that it's Biden 49-45. Fox has him up 9 in Arizona, 8 in Wisconsin, and 4 in North Carolina, for example. Those polls have Kelly up insurmountably (17) in Arizona and Cunningham up a bit (4) in NC.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Apart from a Monmouth poll of PA with Biden+4 today, polls have been good and have shown a small convention bump for Trump. Riots and destruction are apparently not spooking people into becoming more fascist.

Biden took in 364 million in donations and had some really good speeches.

It's been stable so far. Expect pure madness up to the Lovecraftian orgy that the firat debate will bring.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Oh also Ed Markey beat Joe Kennedy and Richard Neal beat Alex Morse in Massachusetts yesterday. I think Delaware is the final set of primaries which are STILL GOING ON SOMEHOW.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    A single uncovered lightbulb hangs from the ceiling, a broken beaded chain clings to it.

A lone shadowy figure sits in a circle of battered folding chairs, a lit cigarette slowly burns between their fingers.

"Is...is this the election thread?"

The door slams shut behind you, the panic bar locking it into place.

The man takes a drag from his cigarette, illuminating three days of stubble and yellowed teeth.

"We all vote down here"

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    For folks wanting to watch here is Biden today.

https://youtu.be/QtwaCwcmNRY

I haven't had time yet but I have heard there are some good back and forth there.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    The 538 tracker knocked down Biden to a 69% chance, it looks like mostly on the strength of some bad polls from Rasmussen and Zogby.

Also, Trump's only underwater by 9 points on approval rating now, down from about 15, again it looks like mostly because of Zog and Ras.

I'm trying very hard not to check polls like twice a day, and mostly failing.

But yeah, I think once conventions fade from view, we're back to early August numbers.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    A Fox News poll of likely voters has Kelly up only 17 points on McSally, who looks to make losing senate races a tradition.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The 538 tracker knocked down Biden to a 69% chance, it looks like mostly on the strength of some bad polls from Rasmussen and Zogby.

Someone at 538 is fucking with the model for fun.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The 538 tracker knocked down Biden to a 69% chance

Nice

Unless post office fuckery swings a lot of votes though Trump is going to lose.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

+/- like 2 to 3 percent is basically static.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    this thing is going to tighten up... literally everyone has to go voooote!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Nice

A note from Silver that should scare you:

Chance of a Biden Electoral college win if he wins the popular vote by X points:

0-1 points: just 6%!
    1-2 points: 22%
    2-3 points: 46%
    3-4 points: 74%
    4-5 points: 89%
    5-6 points: 98%
    6-7 points: 99%

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

+/- like 2 to 3 percent is basically static.

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2012-10-18

I won't feel comfortable until like, February and won't like polls that aren't Biden +20 or something but do pay attention to trend not wobble folks!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Nice

A note from Silver that should scare you:

Chance of a Biden Electoral college win if he wins the popular vote by X points:

0-1 points: just 6%!
    1-2 points: 22%
    2-3 points: 46%
    3-4 points: 74%
    4-5 points: 89%
    5-6 points: 98%
    6-7 points: 99%

I'm tired of being scared. I haven't seen Biden winning with less than 6 points in a single reliable national poll. In swing states, he's up almost across the board.

Yes the EC is fucky and Trump is obviously cheating. I'm super done with jumping at shadows though.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh also Ed Markey beat Joe Kennedy and Richard Neal beat Alex Morse in Massachusetts yesterday. I think Delaware is the final set of primaries which are STILL GOING ON SOMEHOW.

Kill. Me.

Delaware primary is set for Sept 15.
    The last day for absentee ballots to be mailed out to people is September 11.
    Absentee ballots for the general election start getting mailed out nationally on September 19.

Delaware has two primary elections each cycle. One for the presidential primary (this was originally in June, but got pushed back to July this year due to Covid) and then the state level primary later on.

I. Am. Dying.

Just send me my fucking ballot already.

Delaware you can get your ballots by post, fax, email, or going to your election office. Your can send them back on the same way.

Also when your apply for your absentee ballot you have the option of making yourself a permanent absentee voter. And no more having to re-register every fucking year.

Which is nice.

Just send me the ballot FFS.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Pundit Nate is garbage, stats Nate is good. I don’t think a simple margin of victory is enough to give an idea of how the election will break down. I’d need to see some detail on how that effects battleground states.

• Options
    I mean all that tweet is really saying is that the EC is garbage poop from a butt that makes Democrats have to work 10 times harder to win half as much, which we all already knew.

• Options
    Everything hinges on the rust belt, Arizona, North Carolina and *sigh* Florida.

Rust Belt Republicans are for sure going to turn out due to current events and it seems like the region where it's easiest to fuck with the Democratic base via election fuckery.

Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan being in Democratic hands right now is a fucking huge sigh of relief since we've seen just what a secretary of state can do. Elections have consequences.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    It is kind of amazing that Trump is managing to make himself worse on crimes issues. Normally Republicans are just considered better on crime by an absurd percentage of the population no matter how obvious it is false.

https://www.foxnews.com/official-polls/fox-news-poll-biden-tops-trump-among-likely-voters-in-key-states
    8dZZwji.png?1

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

Rust Belt Republicans are for sure going to turn out due to current events and it seems like the region where it's easiest to fuck with the Democratic base via election fuckery.

Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan being in Democratic hands right now is a fucking huge sigh of relief since we've seen just what a secretary of state can do. Elections have consequences.

I think if Biden holds states like WI, MI, and PA states like Florida become icing on the cake. I haven’t played around on 270 to win in a while though.

• Options
    Trump’s popularity slips in latest Military Times poll — and more troops say they’ll vote for Biden

Another thing that is interesting is not only has Trump starting sleeping on crime/law but also is losing the military.

zub7h8amauoa.png

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »

I think if Biden holds states like WI, MI, and PA states like Florida become icing on the cake. I haven’t played around on 270 to win in a while though.

Last I can recall I did just those 3 plus AZ and NV and I'm pretty sure it made Florida and NC irrelevant.

The canary in the coal mine for those 3 is Michigan being tight.

• Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm surprised you have to ban these people in individual posts as opposed to a list.

On topic:
    A quick read through has me as a yes on all the CA propositions, am I missing anything?

There is a California thread, which is likley a better spot to talk more; https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/218402/california-politics-americas-hippie-commune/p19.

Since the propositions are not really being elected.

But, I would say double check these two props, they really aren't no brainers.

CISS Proposition 22 Business Considers app-based drivers to be independent contractors and enacts several labor policies related to app-based companies
    Fuck Uber and their bleeding out of drivers, of flagerantly breaking local laws and then trying to use their VC money to say they are above it. Their drivers are controlled by them, they can make them employees or just sell their software to companies that want to have drivers.

CISS Proposition 23 Healthcare Requires physician on-site at dialysis clinics and consent from the state for a clinic to close
    From what I've heard, requiring a physician doesn't add much to safety, and consent to close seems really weird to me, I'll need to research more to see if this is really helpful.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The "best" part of this election will be the fact that it's not going to be one anxiety filled day of despair/relief, but a excruciating week long process of pain and suffering due to the increased mail-in vote coupled with the increased mail fuckery from the Postmaster General.

I think I'll take my mandatory week off from work during that week. I have a feeling I'm going to be utterly useless.

This discussion has been closed.