As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Talk About [2020 Elections] Like Grownups!

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Trump’s popularity slips in latest Military Times poll — and more troops say they’ll vote for Biden

Another thing that is interesting is not only has Trump starting sleeping on crime/law but also is losing the military.

zub7h8amauoa.png

Trump was at 41% in this poll in October of 2016. Slipping just 4 points after all of the shits he has continuously taken on the military is just sad. It's just sad.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    The "best" part of this election will be the fact that it's not going to be one anxiety filled day of despair/relief, but a excruciating week long process of pain and suffering due to the increased mail-in vote coupled with the increased mail fuckery from the Postmaster General.

I think I'll take my mandatory week off from work during that week. I have a feeling I'm going to be utterly useless.

In every state that it’s possible, I would encourage anyone and everyone who can to vote early in-person. Crowds shouldn’t be a problem (or at least less of one) and it removes fuckery with the mail.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    zekebeau wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm surprised you have to ban these people in individual posts as opposed to a list.

On topic:
    A quick read through has me as a yes on all the CA propositions, am I missing anything?

There is a California thread, which is likley a better spot to talk more; https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/218402/california-politics-americas-hippie-commune/p19.

Since the propositions are not really being elected.

But, I would say double check these two props, they really aren't no brainers.

CISS Proposition 22 Business Considers app-based drivers to be independent contractors and enacts several labor policies related to app-based companies
    Fuck Uber and their bleeding out of drivers, of flagerantly breaking local laws and then trying to use their VC money to say they are above it. Their drivers are controlled by them, they can make them employees or just sell their software to companies that want to have drivers.

CISS Proposition 23 Healthcare Requires physician on-site at dialysis clinics and consent from the state for a clinic to close
    From what I've heard, requiring a physician doesn't add much to safety, and consent to close seems really weird to me, I'll need to research more to see if this is really helpful.

Specifically, I give a quick rundown here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/42666129/#Comment_42666129

19, 20, and 22 are the ones which which I'm leaning no on, and I'm going to default no on 14 until I've looked into the structure more.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man the punditry seems to be dialed up to 11 to horse race this shit. The country is burning on Trump's watch and yet "why isn't Joe Biden healing the racial divide?" is everywhere like he's the president.

It's insane Trump seems to be literally running against himself.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Alaska has an interesting ballot measure this year.

Ballot Measure 2 would

-Require any donation of $2000 or more than was, in turn, acquired from other donations to now have to disclose the true source of those donations.
    -Replace the current partisan primaries with a statewide top four primary for state executive, state legislative, and congressional offices, which ties into the best part
    -Ranked choice voting, baby!!! Including the general presidential election!

I'm super hoping it passes!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Also weird that Trump like Columbo'd himself yesterday about the stroke story mentioning he didn't have a series of mini strokes when no one was saying he did.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Also weird that Trump like Columbo'd himself yesterday about the stroke story mentioning he didn't have a series of mini strokes when no one was saying he did.

Drudge report was, IIRC.

That said, drawing attention to it probably wasn't the best idea.

• Options
    Man that's fucking weird I thought Druge was a right wing rag? Has he fled the ship?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Man that's fucking weird I thought Druge was a right wing rag? Has he fled the ship?

Yeah, I forget when it happened, but he's turned on Trump pretty hard. I want to say it was nearly starting a war in Iran in the dumbest possible way is what finally caused him to snap.

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular

Chaotic-right, not (nominally) lawful-right.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    this thing is going to tighten up... literally everyone has to go voooote!

I finally registered for my new area I live in

gonna bring that sweet D heat

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Also

If you or anybody you know is an American citizen residing over seas, either military or other

Please check out www.votefromabroad.org

Heaps of information about voting from overseas, how to request your ballot, how to return your ballot, using a Federal Write in Absentee Ballot (FWAB) as a backup ballot.

The site has state by state breakdowns of info on Voting from Abroad, but a lot of these deadlines also apply to any absentee voting.

Please take a look and pass this info on to anybody that might need help.

• Options
    Do we have an official fundraising number from Trump for august? I know Biden racked up 364 million which seems like a kind of a lot of money?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Ballot Measure 2 would

-Require any donation of $2000 or more than was, in turn, acquired from other donations to now have to disclose the true source of those donations.
    -Replace the current partisan primaries with a statewide top four primary for state executive, state legislative, and congressional offices, which ties into the best part

Oh right the other fun poll from while we were gone was Alaska Senate tied at 43. As I've said before those races usually end up with the partisan lean of the state, but still.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Do we have an official fundraising number from Trump for august? I know Biden racked up 364 million which seems like a kind of a lot of money?

Yeah, it was a record.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/01/politics/joe-biden-august-fundraising/index.html

That said, Trump is raising ridiculous amounts of money too, and started with waaaay the fuck more in the bank from not having to do primary shit.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

Ballot Measure 2 would

Oh right the other fun poll from while we were gone was Alaska Senate tied at 43. As I've said before those races usually end up with the partisan lean of the state, but still.

Last election had incumbant Representative Don Young consistently neck and neck with his Dem challenger right up to the election. He wound up winning 53.3 to 46.7.

Polling in Alaska kinda sucks.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Yeah, it was a record.

That said, Trump is raising ridiculous amounts of money too, and started with waaaay the fuck more in the bank from not having to do primary shit.

Trump’s funds tend to not go as far, since he tries to steal as much of it as possible at every opportunity.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

Yeah, it was a record.

Trump’s funds tend to not go as far, since he tries to steal as much of it as possible at every opportunity.

Yeah, but he also has things like Russia propping him up, and Cambridge Analytica/Facebook that prop him up for minimal/zero cost to his pocketbook.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Marathon wrote: »

Yeah, it was a record.

Yeah, but he also has things like Russia propping him up, and Cambridge Analytica/Facebook that prop him up for minimal/zero cost to his pocketbook.

Ok so what were his numbers like in august? I didn't see an announcement.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/trump-encourages-north-carolina-residents-vote-twice-test-mail-system-n1239140

Trump literally called for voter fraud today, something he has alleged his happening he's calling for. Christ what an asshole.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Trump has unlimited money for his campaign anyway

Between election laws having no teeth, foreign help, and just flat out using the government as his own organization with no need for obeying laws

Stealing money from infinity still leaves infinity campaign dollars

• Options
    Put me down as one of the Biden voters who thinks Trump will still be president btw

I don’t think you act this blatant about the lawlessness and corruption if you think there’s a chance someone else takes over in a few months

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Trump’s popularity slips in latest Military Times poll — and more troops say they’ll vote for Biden

Another thing that is interesting is not only has Trump starting sleeping on crime/law but also is losing the military.

zub7h8amauoa.png

Trump was at 41% in this poll in October of 2016. Slipping just 4 points after all of the shits he has continuously taken on the military is just sad. It's just sad.

12% someone else is worrying but how many are Trump voters?

• Options

Between election laws having no teeth, foreign help, and just flat out using the government as his own organization with no need for obeying laws

Ok this is just not true. Trump is Lawless but he's not running on infinite dollars, if anything his campaign spending has been pretty subdued compared to Biden. Like I believe he stopped spending in Michigan and there is a gap for North Carolina where Biden is spending and people are voting and Trump doesn't have ad running.

If you're going to say Trump is spending I want to see some facts, I want to see actual numbers beyond NYT ass pulls.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Ok this is just not true. Trump is Lawless but he's not running on infinite dollars, if anything his campaign spending has been pretty subdued compared to Biden. Like I believe he stopped spending in Michigan and there is a gap for North Carolina where Biden is spending and people are voting and Trump doesn't have ad running.

If you're going to say Trump is spending I want to see some facts, I want to see actual numbers beyond NYT ass pulls.

Sorry, I should have specified

It’s not unlimited money- what I meant is Trump doesn’t need money to campaign, which I conflate as the same effect as having unlimited money

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

zub7h8amauoa.png

I think this is a very telling bit that is tied to the shift in the military. I should have included it.

98o3c71zjmr2.png

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Very weird that his disfavorability has capped out at 49.9% for a whole year after doing nothing but going up for the 3 years previously and his favorability continued to go down.

• Options
    UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    Put me down as one of the Biden voters who thinks Trump will still be president btw

I don’t think you act this blatant about the lawlessness and corruption if you think there’s a chance someone else takes over in a few months

You do if you know you will get away with it.

• Options

zub7h8amauoa.png

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/2016/10/19/despite-scandals-trump-support-grows-stronger-in-latest-poll-of-troops/

40.5% overall, 43.3% enlisted.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Oh also Ed Markey beat Joe Kennedy and Richard Neal beat Alex Morse in Massachusetts yesterday. I think Delaware is the final set of primaries which are STILL GOING ON SOMEHOW.

Louisiana is last as always! It's not surprising that everyone has forgotten that we have a Senate election this year, but a little odd. I don't think Cassidy is unbeatable, but I dunno if it will work out this time. It would be nice to have at least one poll done to see if we get to a run-off or not.

• Options
    Ursus wrote: »

It is true that they’re a pretty stupid lot of assholes

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

... and they're still probably going to get away with it. :(

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

When you are already fucked utterly if you lose, might as well go all in.

They have committed enough crimes to keep the DOJ busy just untangling shit for a generation, what's a few more on the pile?

Either you are sunk or you aren't, and the only question is if being too blatant hurts you more than being completely nakedly corrupt...and looking at 2018, Florida and Georgia are the places they went full fuck it YOLO corruption and it worked, so might as well lean into it.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Oh also Ed Markey beat Joe Kennedy and Richard Neal beat Alex Morse in Massachusetts yesterday. I think Delaware is the final set of primaries which are STILL GOING ON SOMEHOW.

Louisiana is last as always! It's not surprising that everyone has forgotten that we have a Senate election this year, but a little odd. I don't think Cassidy is unbeatable, but I dunno if it will work out this time. It would be nice to have at least one poll done to see if we get to a run-off or not.

Wait wait wait

If I'm reading this right

Nov 3rd is actually the primary date in Louisiana.
    But if nobody gets a majority, there's a second round of voting in Dec 5.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Jungle primaries: they dumb.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

Wait wait wait

Yes. From my perspective I find primaries a really weird and confusing concept. I have always found our jungle primary system to suit me best, but ebum highlights opinions on this vary.

• Options

Morning Consult poll of wisconsin the place where Trump Law and order is hurting Biden according to our illustrious DC Media.

WISCONSIN
    Biden 52% (+10)
    Trump 42%

@MorningConsult
    , LV, 8/23-9/1

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Wait wait wait

Yes. From my perspective I find primaries a really weird and confusing concept. I have always found our jungle primary system to suit me best, but ebum highlights opinions on this vary.

How so? The point of a primary is for a party to choose its flag bearer in the general election. Jungle "primaries" break this by not being primaries - they're general elections with a mandatory runoff, and the have a number of perverse incentives.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Morning Consult poll of wisconsin the place where Trump Law and order is hurting Biden according to our illustrious DC Media.

WISCONSIN
    Biden 52% (+10)
    Trump 42%

@MorningConsult
    , LV, 8/23-9/1

Fox News had a poll on who do you trust more on law and order after Kenosha and Biden was 5 points ahead of Trump 47/42 in Wisconsin

Viskod on
  • Options

WISCONSIN
    Biden 52% (+10)
    Trump 42%

@MorningConsult
    , LV, 8/23-9/1

Fox News had a poll on who do you trust more on law and order after Kenosha and Biden was 5 points ahead of a Trump 47/42 in Wisconsin

Which supports people blame the guy actually in charge not the guy running for his job. But again that's news to it feels like 75% of our media.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.