As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D-5E] Eberron: Shadows of the Last War

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    @see317 & @Centipede Damascus, you'll also have to make Strength (Athletics) checks for climbing (or perhaps jumping [for John]) down the foundry safely.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for climbing down safely.

climbing:
    1d20+2 12 [1d20=10]

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Athletics

Athletics:
    1d20+3 8 [1d20=5]

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    A Clash of Sabers Round #1

Initiative Order
    #1. -- Owenn (+3) [17]
    #2. -- John (+3) [14]
    #3. -- Saber (+1) [12]
    #4. -- Faber (+0) [10]
    #5. -- Pierce (+3) [4]
    #6. -- Zed (+2) [N/A]
    #7. -- Gator (+3) [N/A]

"THE TEAM ASSEMBLES"

With tiny legs, Owenn dashes across the ruined battlefield to his long-time associate. Owenn just barely reaches the Shifter before his lungs burst with a need for a reprieve.

Meanwhile John Merchant climbs down the foundry's roof via the rope and begins steadily walking towards Saber. With his quarterstaff in both hands, John begins spinning it as fast as possible in front of himself, creating a turbine-like effect to hopefully negate any incoming crossbow bolts.

"Oh! A half-blood martial artist, eh? Let's see how your ancient kung fu squares against the tools of modernity!" Saber screams as he loads a crossbow bolt and fires it at John Merchant. But John's quarterstaff turbine defensive maneuver is proven successful at it blocks the bolt. "So be it!" the enraged Warforged knight yells, dropping the heavy crossbow and pulling out his longsword. "I invite your mysticism against my mettle!"

Faber safely descends down the foundry and begins his movement towards Saber. Chanting ancient, eldritch verbiage he raises his out-stretched hand, which momentarily becomes engulfed in radiant flames. Making an aggressive fist towards Saber, the Warforged knight is suddenly assaulted by the radiant flame (2 radiant dmg).

"Please give our regards to the Lord of Blades - when we're through with you, he will be next!" yells Pierce before she softly utters a mystic remedy and has her fingers dance over her rapier. Her golden form then glows for a brief moment before fading to reveal an even more gilded exterior. Pierce then abandons the need for any rope and leaps down from the roof, falling safely into a spinning roll. With no time lost she is up and closing the distance between her and Saber.

@jdarksun, you'll need to continue making death saving throws (1 failure so far).

FINAL ROUND PLACEMENT
    Yt7v9jE.png

FINAL ROUND PLACEMENT WITH DARKVISION
    HIH1JFt.png

Zonugal on
    edited August 2020
    Battle Command
    Advance towards Saber, Faber will expend his last spell slot to cast Inflict wounds (+5 to hit, 3d10 necrotic)[/quote]

Battle Command
    If I'm unable to reach Saber, continue casting Sacred Flame (Dex 13, 1d8 radiant damage)

see317 on
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    Initiative: 1d20+3

Battle Command: If Gator is not revived, Owenn will administer the greater healing potion to the shifter.

Greater Healing Potion: 4d4+4

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OOC: Do I not get to act somewhere in between Saber drawing a wand, activating a wand, drawing a crossbow, and firing a crossbow? That feels like a couple rounds worth of Actions.
    Saber already had his wand & the heavy crossbow out and prepared.

So his action sequence would have been:
    -- Activate his wand (Action)
    -- Interpret the results (Free Action)
    -- Drop his wand (Free Action)
    -- Place his left hand on his heavy crossbow (Free Action)
    -- Fire his heavy crossbow directly at you (Action)

@jdarksun, does Gator have any type of Reaction-based ability they could have used in between that sequence?
    OOC:
    Wouldn't Gator have been able to see it if Saber had a wand readied? When did he draw it? The last description of Saber was: "Fitted with a strong shield, a sturdy blade at his side, a heavy crossbow in his hands, and dark goggles across his eyes..."

Regardless, isn't that still two Actions? "Activate his wand" & "Fire his heavy crossbow directly at you."

Gator does not have any specific Reaction-based abilities, but does have a 15 passive perception and a 15 passive insight.

I mean, maybe the answer is as simple as "Saber is a Boss Monster." I'm already rolling death saves so I accept your ruling regardless, it just doesn't feel great for Gator to be dying to something they had no chance to see or react to.

Geth, roll 1d20 for Death Save (1 Strike)

Death Save (1 Strike):
    1d20 3 [1d20=3]

OOC: I'm camping this week, so replies may be delayed depending on what kind of cell phone signal I can get.

edited August 2020
    OOC:
    Wouldn't Gator have been able to see it if Saber had a wand readied? When did he draw it? The last description of Saber was: "Fitted with a strong shield, a sturdy blade at his side, a heavy crossbow in his hands, and dark goggles across his eyes..."

Actually, the last physical description given for Saber was:
    Gator climbs down successfully.

"Ah, the dog does have a pint of wisdom buried under that fur? Aye!?!" Saber yells out, remaining partially covered behind large rocks & building ruins. Placing his shield off the side, Saber draws an item from a sheath, with his other hand holding the heavy crossbow. The Warforged Knight then shouts a command, "Twenty feet from me, put the schema on the ground and step five feet back from it."
    Regardless, isn't that still two Actions? "Activate his wand" & "Fire his heavy crossbow directly at you."

Indeed, but as we weren't fully in combat, there is no concrete initiative order until the first strike is committed. Basically, Saber got to begin combat on his terms by instigate it after using his wand on your false Schema.
    Gator does not have any specific Reaction-based abilities, but does have a 15 passive perception and a 15 passive insight.

In this instance, Saber wasn't hiding or trying to be stealthy, so you would have had to declare that you were actively using Insight or Investigation or Perception against him. He was also partially hidden behind large rocks & building ruins, so Gator's line of sight would be obscured/difficult in this situation.
    I mean, maybe the answer is as simple as "Saber is a Boss Monster." I'm already rolling death saves so I accept your ruling regardless, it just doesn't feel great for Gator to be dying to something they had no chance to see or react to.

Understandable.

Things like this are going to be complicated through play-by-post format and a desire from me to make things cinematic at times (and from a villain rolling a critical hit in their opening strike).

My apologies if any feelings were hurt by how this scene unfolded.

Zonugal on
    @jdarksun, I would encourage you to still put in some form of battle command (if possible, via your WiFi situation) as I suspect you'll be active this round via Owenn and his greater healing potion.

"What do you know about kung fu, rusty-knob?" John taunts.

Battle-Command: John will close the distance with Saber and attack with his quarterstaff (+5 to hit, 1d6+3 bludgeoning damage), followed by an unarmed strike (+5 to hit, 1d4+3 bludgeoning damage)

Mind you all, Saber is still standing behind large rocks & building ruins.

Moving through/over it will be considered difficult terrain:
    Combat rarely takes place in bare rooms or on featureless plains. Boulder-strewn caverns, briar-choked forests, treacherous staircases--the setting of a typical fight contains difficult terrain. Every foot of movement in difficult terrain costs 1 extra foot. This rule is true even if multiple things in a space count as difficult terrain. Low furniture, rubble, undergrowth, steep stairs, snow, and shallow bogs are examples of difficult terrain. The space of another creature, whether hostile or not, also counts as difficult terrain.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    So, Tortles are a thing, huh? Can they wear armor? Or would they get their shells plated? Or do they get some kind of special rule for armor saves, and if so, how well does it scale for higher levels?

Edit: sorry, posted in the wrong D&D thread. Go here if you want to see an answer.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Pierce rushes to the fore and prepares to strike, intending to make good on her threat.

Battle Command: if no one is located such that they will get caught in the cross-fire, Pierce will cast Thunderwave before continuing to advance to melee range.

Alternate Battle Command: If Pierce cannot get a clear shot, she will advance and attempt to attack with her rapier. 1d20+5 to hit, 1d8+3 for damage.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    edited September 2020
    A Clash of Sabers Round #2

Initiative Order
    #3. -- Saber (+1) [20]
    #2. -- John (+3) [18]
    #1. -- Owenn (+3) [7]
    #5. -- Pierce (+3) [8]
    #4. -- Faber (+0) [2]
    #6. -- Zed (+2) [N/A]
    #7. -- Gator (+3) [N/A]

"FLEE INTO THE SHADOWS"

Donning his shield, Saber softly retreats deeper into the darkness.

John Merchant pursues the villain, dashing to catch up to the sinister Warforged knight.

Owenn administers the greater healing potion to the dying Gator. @Sneaks, since you are administering the potion, you get to roll for its effect. Give us a roll of 4d4+4.

Gator is revived this round! The Shifter's grievous crossbow bolt wound has been magically closed and the bleeding has stopped.

Pierce matches John Merchant's speed, dashing to catch up with Saber.

Thanks to the light on Pierce's rapier, Faber can see Saber enough to launch a radiant attack against the foe. Chanting ancient, eldritch verbiage Faber raises his out-stretched hand, which momentarily becomes engulfed in radiant flames. Making an aggressive fist towards Saber, the Warforged knight is suddenly assaulted by the radiant flame. But this time, with shield in hand, Saber deflects the radiant blast away from himself.

FINAL ROUND PLACEMENT
    U4QotCu.png

MPFgWRg.png

Zonugal on
    Geth roll 4d4+4 for Greater Healing

Greater Healing:
    4d4+4 10 [4d4=2, 1, 1, 2]

edited September 2020
    Combat Command: Shift to Wildhunt form.

If I can get within 10' of Saber:
    Draw Grasping Whip, move to within 10' of Saber, attack (1d20+6, 1d4+4). If I hit, utter command word and grasp Saber, trying to prevent him from escaping.

If I cannot get within 10' of Saber:
    Draw bow, move to within line of sight of Saber, fire arrow (1d20+5, 1d8+3).

Shifting: This transformation lasts for 1 minute, until you die, or until you revert to your normal appearance as a bonus action. When you shift, you gain +2 temp HP and additional benefits that depend on your shifter subrace.

Additional benefits: While shifted, you have advantage on Wisdom checks, and no creature within 30 feet of you can make an attack roll with advantage against you, unless you’re incapacitated.

OOC: I should have listened to you Zonugal, internet went down and I had to hike to a ranger station to get signal.

Does Saber have detachable equipment? ie, are they holding a weapon or shield or is it attached / part of them?

Edit: Is Saber themselves metal? ie, would the Grasping Whip stick to them?

jdarksun on
    OoC Is there any way Faber can make a headlong rush over the terrain to close to melee range with Saber and still have his action available?
    I would really like to use my inflict wounds before he makes his way down that dimly lit tunnel.

see317 wrote: »
    OoC Is there any way Faber can make a headlong rush over the terrain to close to melee range with Saber and still have his action available?
    I would really like to use my inflict wounds before he makes his way down that dimly lit tunnel.

Only if Faber had two levels of Rogue...

Dashing takes an action, sorry.

You can always hope to beat him in the initiative order though.

OOC: I should have listened to you Zonugal, internet went down and I had to hike to a ranger station to get signal.

Sorry! I tried giving ya more time (around 36 hours) but eventually had to pull the trigger and let combat proceed.
    Does Saber have detachable equipment? ie, are they holding a weapon or shield or is it attached / part of them?

Saber's weapon and shield are both standard equipment. He doesn't have anything that is built into him (in an "attached" way).

As a Warforged he is indeed composed of metal in different spots. You'd have to land an attack roll to get the whip to connect, but it'd work for magnetizing to him, yes.

Sorry! I tried giving ya more time (around 36 hours) but eventually had to pull the trigger and let combat proceed.

Saber's weapon and shield are both standard equipment. He doesn't have anything that is built into him (in an "attached" way).

As a Warforged he is indeed composed of metal in different spots. You'd have to land an attack roll to get the whip to connect, but it'd work for magnetizing to him, yes.
    OOC You tried to warn me! :Lol: don't worry about waiting for me until I'm back, should be home tomorrow night.

Updated Combat Commands (above)

“Faber, save Zed!”

Battle Command: With no healing options left to him, Owenn runs southwest, drawing his bow to get a shot off at Saber.

Shortbow to Hit: 1d20+5
    Shortbow Damage: 1d6+3 piercing
    Shortbow Damage if Saber is engaged in melee: 2d6+3 piercing

Battle-Command: John will continue to pursue Saber and attack with his quarterstaff (+5 to hit, 1d6+3 bludgeoning damage), followed by an unarmed strike (+5 to hit, 1d4+3 bludgeoning damage)

Back-Up Battle-Command: If John is unable to reach Saber but is within 20 ft of him, he will toss a dart (+5 to hit, (1d4+3) piercing damage)

Battle-Command: Faber will stop his pursuit, and work to stabilize Zed, administering a healing potion if necessary to keep his dragon born heart ticking.

COUGH COUGH @see317, Zed was just knocked out, he's safely alive COUGH COUGH

edited September 2020
    COUGH COUGH see317, Zed was just knocked out, he's safely alive COUGH COUGH
    OoC: Heh, oops, thought he was down a lot harder than just KO'd. Losing track of which game is which, I almost fed Faber to an aboleth on Tuesday before I remembered that my Warforged there was Carpe.

Init: 1d20
    Battle-Command:If any of our party is in need of immediate medical attention to prevent death saves, Faber will administer it, providing as much cover as his frame can manage to stabilize them.

Battle-Command: If nobody is in need of immediate aid, Faber will charge towards Saber and cast Inflict Wounds if he can close to melee (+5 to hit, 3d10 necrotic)

Backup Battle-Command: IF Faber cannot close to melee, he'll stick with casting Radiant Flame (Dex 13, 1d8 radiant damage)

see317 on
    Pierce smirks upon seeing Faber's blast, enthusiastically pressing forward to make her own attack.

Battle Command: if no one is located such that they will get caught in the cross-fire, Pierce will cast Thunderwave before continuing to advance to melee range.

Alternate Battle Command: If Pierce cannot get a clear shot, she will advance and attempt to attack with her rapier. 1d20+5 to hit, 1d8+3 for damage.

Steam
    edited September 2020
    A Clash of Sabers Round #3

Initiative Order
    #1. -- Owenn (+3) [22]
    #2. -- Pierce (+3) [21]
    #3. -- Gator (+3) [13]
    #4. -- Saber (+1) [13]
    #5. -- John (+3) [7]
    #6. -- Faber (+0) [5]
    #7. -- Zed (+2) [N/A]

"BACKS AGAINST THE WALL"

Hoping to surprise Saber by running towards the south-west, Owenn scrambles in the dark. The Halfling Rogue can't find his feet or the floor, but he can spot Saber ahead, illuminated by Pierce's rapier. With intuitive knowledge of his short-bow and its complimentary arrows, Owenn fires a missile towards the Warforged villain. Having ran the opposite way, Saber had his head turned back towards John Merchant & Pierce, when he felt a sudden, sharp pain in his torso (13 dmg). "AURAGH!!!" the Warforged knight screams out before twisting around to see Owenn ahead.

Running between Saber and John Merchant, Pierce grabs her rapier and slashes the air in a mystic rhythm. Utilizing her built-in trumpet, Pierce's jaw unhinges and she begins screaming musical notes from her artificial maw. A moment later Pierce is briefly pushed backward from the recoil as she vomits a wave of thunderous force towards Saber. Emitting a thunderous boom audible out to 300 feet, Saber's body, hidden quickly behind his shield, is rocked by the power of the spell sent towards him (3 thunder dmg), as every unsecured loose object fifteen feet in front of Pierce is automatically pushed 10 feet away.

Gator gets to their feet and then howls into the air. Additional hair suddenly begins to grow over Gator, as their teeth lengthen and their nails become tiny claws. Hungry to join the fight, Gator manages to make haste over the rubble in their path as to get a clean shot on the enemy who had just a minute ago almost killed them. Throwing their bow off their back and into feral hands, Gator fire an arrow straight into the head of Saber (18 dmg).

Black ooze flows from Saber's mouth as he screams at Pierce, "Traitor!!!!" Severely damaged, Saber draws upon a spring of energy within him as he releases his Final Messenger amulet and instructs it to fly up into the air. As the minute, winged, clockwork courier flies away, Saber swings his longsword directly at Pierce. He slashes at her chest, carving up her gilded chassis (8 dmg). Pierce's body shoots out black ooze as Saber begins to retreat thirty feet south. Summoning some reserve power, Pierce recognizes the opportunity for an attack and slashes out with her rapier at Saber's leg (3 dmg).

With fleet feet, John Merchant sprints past Pierce after Saber. Saber reaches the walls of the temple the party had spent a short rest in before turning around to see a Half-Orc assaulting him. Using his quarterstaff to pole-vault at his foe, John is thrown into a flying kick at Saber. John's foot lands short, striking against the wall instead of the Warforged. Spinning his quarterstaff he strikes Saber. The situation immediately communicates to John it did virtually no damage. Laughing, Saber stares at John Merchant, "You bring a walking stick into a fight? You idiot!"

Faber runs ahead and once again attempts to launch a radiant attack against the blackguard. Chanting ancient, eldritch verbiage Faber raises his out-stretched hand, which momentarily becomes engulfed in radiant flames. Making an aggressive fist towards Saber, the Warforged knight is suddenly assaulted by the radiant flame. But just like last time, with shield in hand, Saber deflects the radiant blast away from himself.

With an arrow in his torso, another arrow sticking out of his head, his face covered in black ooze, Saber looks at the opposition. "You've already lost. You can't win against him! Our lord shall find victory!!!!"

FINAL ROUND PLACEMENT
    41jXRYZ.png

KXkJbqs.png

Zonugal on

Owenn tried to get a bead on the Messenger as it made its escape, but it was simply too dark. 'Damn.'

Battle Command: Owenn will drop his bow, draw his rapier, and move in for the kill. With the Messenger gone and probably reporting that we have the schema now, returning to the surface quickly is now a priority. And that means closing the book on Saber.

Rapier Attack: 1d20+5
    Rapier Damage (includes Sneak Attack): 1d8+1d6+3

Gator ran forward bent over at the waist, following the belligerent warforged. "You fools keep spouting that nonsense.'' The shifter paused to straighten and release another arrow at the bloodied Saber. "Yet, we keep killing you." Gators words were chased with a stuttering laugh, something between a bark and a squawk, a strange sound unlike anything else issued from the shifter. "Die knowing you failed." Gator took another couple steps forward. "Die knowing that wherever your lord is, you are here alone."

Battle Command: Keep Saber in range, fire an arrow (1d20+5, 1d8+3).

OOC: Figured I'd mirror Gator's mental state with their physical state.

Letting out an audible groan of frustration, John continues to press his attack.

Battle-Command: John will try again to attack Saber with his quarterstaff (+5 to hit, 1d6+3 bludgeoning damage), followed by an unarmed strike (+5 to hit, 1d4+3 bludgeoning damage)

Init: 1d20
    Battle-Command: Seeing the hit his fellow warforged took, Faber approaches Pierce and casts Cure Wounds (1d8+3)

Backup Battle-Command: IF Faber cannot close to Pierce, he'll stick with casting Radiant Flame at Saber (assuming Saber's not dead by the time my init comes up) (Dex 13, 1d8 radiant damage)

Faber desperately thinks of some snarky or snide comment to throw at the injured warforged, but hearing Gators brutal statement of cold fact, fails utterly to come up with anything to add.

edited September 2020
    Battle Command: Pierce will move close to Faber if Faber hasn't already closed the gap, to be healed and reassess where Saber goes next.

Cello on
    Steam
    A Clash of Sabers Round #4

Initiative Order
    #1. -- Owenn (+3) [22]
    #2. -- John (+3) [21]
    #3. -- Saber (+1) [16]
    #4. -- Pierce (+3) [15]
    #5. -- Gator (+3) [15]
    #6. -- Faber (+0) [4]
    #7. -- Zed (+2) [N/A]

"BROKEN BLADE"

Distracted by John Merchant in front of him, and his bevvy of wounds, Saber didn't notice the quick sprint by Owenn Kemble. The Halfling's small feet were soft on the ancient floor. Discarding his shortbow, the Rogue closed the gap between him and the living construct. Adjacent to the villain, Owenn brandished his rapier in a style reminiscent of an Iaijustu master and slashed (10 dmg) .

Saber recognized immediately that he was in a death spiral. The warforged knight dropped his shield and longsword as he struggled to keep his black ooze from spilling out of the slash across his neck. Falling to his knees, gurgling on black ooze, Saber raised a defiant fist into the air. It was his last action.

Saber then died.

FINAL ROUND PLACEMENT
    svcj0DD.png

OlnRXUF.png

COMBAT HAS CONCLUDED

@see317, at this point you are free to roll the die for how much you want to heal Pierce (if you still want to proceed in casting Cure Wounds).

Geth roll 1d8+3 for healing

healing:
    1d8+3 9 [1d8=6]

edited September 2020
    “The Messenger got away.” Even in the dark, the others could hear Owenn’s brow furrow as he sheathed his rapier and returned to where he’d discarded his shortbow. “And while this one claimed to be the ‘greatest’ of the Lord of Blades’ agents, his overall performance suggests otherwise. Somebody rouse Zed. If he needs a healing potion to be able to travel, someone with longer legs than me can go get the one we left in the forge.”

Owenn found the bow, picked it up, and secured it. “But then we have to go.”

Sneaks on
    Gator fingered the hole in chest of their new studded leather armor. "I mean, he came pretty close to killing me. I'd say his performance was OK." The shifter moved to check on the unconscious Zed. "But your point is well said. Let us leave this place quickly."

OOC: Check on Zed, rouse him if possible. Medicine check?

OOC: Check on Zed, rouse him if possible. Medicine check?

Yep! Wisdom (Medicine) check to rouse.

OOC: (i'm assuming it's been a minute since i shifted; if not, i have Advantage)
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Medicine

Medicine:
    1d20+3 8 [1d20=5]