As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Question. I currently have a samsubg galaxy s6. I have the option to be gifted a google pixel 3 xl.

Which is the better phone?

The Pixel in a heartbeat.

Thank you. Gonna pick it up and transfer everything later. My girlfriend did the "ok google set up my device" to transfer her old phone to new, does that actually transfer everything?

Probably not quite everything if you're coming from a Samsung but it should get most of the important stuff (apps, contacts, messages depending on what app you were using). I did a Samsung to Nexus transfer years ago and it got pretty much what I needed, is probably improved since then.

Did this earlier and it failed then had to leave the house. No pictures transfered,not apps. Might try it again or just use the pc backup tool. Or maybe even blue tooth instead of the cable. Maybe that was the problem.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Question. I currently have a samsubg galaxy s6. I have the option to be gifted a google pixel 3 xl.

Thank you. Gonna pick it up and transfer everything later. My girlfriend did the "ok google set up my device" to transfer her old phone to new, does that actually transfer everything?

Probably not quite everything if you're coming from a Samsung but it should get most of the important stuff (apps, contacts, messages depending on what app you were using). I did a Samsung to Nexus transfer years ago and it got pretty much what I needed, is probably improved since then.

Did this earlier and it failed then had to leave the house. No pictures transfered,not apps. Might try it again or just use the pc backup tool. Or maybe even blue tooth instead of the cable. Maybe that was the problem.

If you want to preserve your messages, you can use a third party app to back them up. I use SMS Backup and Restore, which backs up my Pulse messages and call log to a xml file on my Google Drive. I also have it set up to automatically delete old backups to keep from clogging up my Drive

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Oh Galaxy Z Fold 2, how you tempt me so.

Number One Tricky
    Mugsley wrote: »

If you want to preserve your messages, you can use a third party app to back them up. I use SMS Backup and Restore, which backs up my Pulse messages and call log to a xml file on my Google Drive. I also have it set up to automatically delete old backups to keep from clogging up my Drive

Turns out it transfered my apps and a bunch of photos, but not all. Maybe the cable disconnect messed with that.

Is there any way to basically continue the copy or do I need to start it all over?

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

Turns out it transfered my apps and a bunch of photos, but not all. Maybe the cable disconnect messed with that.

Is there any way to basically continue the copy or do I need to start it all over?

As someone who recently went through this going from Samsung to Samsung, try and do it in small chunks if you have a lot of stuff. I admittedly have a gigantic amount of text messages and it took a very long time over several days to get them all moved over and actually integrated into my phone.

Depending on which software you are using it should check for duplicates and then try to move whatever is not already there.

Also I decided to try out the new Firefox on my Galaxy S8 just to see it and it is pretty bad yeah. So I go to the play store and leave a 1 star review, and Google fucking deleted it! First time that has ever happened. I just noticed it so I left another even longer review.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »

My only concern is that the Z Fold 2 is bigger and heavier than the Fold. The Fold did feel a bit brick like when using for long periods of time.

Also not happy that already they have ditched the free case and Galaxy buds for the new models. The fold came with an official case and a pair of Galaxy Buds, the Z flip/5G came with a cool clear case which did make the price tag have a little less sting.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

As someone who recently went through this going from Samsung to Samsung, try and do it in small chunks if you have a lot of stuff. I admittedly have a gigantic amount of text messages and it took a very long time over several days to get them all moved over and actually integrated into my phone.

Depending on which software you are using it should check for duplicates and then try to move whatever is not already there.

Also I decided to try out the new Firefox on my Galaxy S8 just to see it and it is pretty bad yeah. So I go to the play store and leave a 1 star review, and Google fucking deleted it! First time that has ever happened. I just noticed it so I left another even longer review.

What is different about the phone version? I understand complaints that the tablet version lost it's more desktop-like features, but the phone version seems mostly identical to me, on the same phone as you even.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Is there any way to lock the screen while it's playing videos? We gave our baby girl an old phone for youtube kids to watch her videos, but she's always touching the screen exiting out of the app and stopping videos

Ziggymon wrote: »

My only concern is that the Z Fold 2 is bigger and heavier than the Fold. The Fold did feel a bit brick like when using for long periods of time.

Also not happy that already they have ditched the free case and Galaxy buds for the new models. The fold came with an official case and a pair of Galaxy Buds, the Z flip/5G came with a cool clear case which did make the price tag have a little less sting.

And the official cases from Samsung only cover half the phone. Like whuuuu? Most cases on Amazon show a Dec/Jan release.

I'm pretty clumsy with my phones sometimes. I've dropped them down flights of stairs (that they luckily survived). I may be insane for pre-ordering this thing.

Number One Tricky
    edited September 2020
    furlion wrote: »

What is different about the phone version? I understand complaints that the tablet version lost it's more desktop-like features, but the phone version seems mostly identical to me, on the same phone as you even.

The new way they show tabs is pretty bad and inefficient. The almost complete lack of add-ons, although they did make sure the security add-ons worked I guess. That still leaves hundreds of useful add-ons used by millions of people out in the cold though. Personally I had one that let me rearrange tabs and it was very useful, I also just recently installed one that would turn all my open tabs into a text file that I could open with Firefox later and then import all of those tabs on the same order. No more though. It is way buggier here on the forums. It keeps making a really big gap, the size of the toolbar basically, at the bottom of the screen when I got bookmarks even though I have the toolbar at the top. Every time I try to hit post it kicks me up to the top of the screen, I guess because I clicked outside the text box, and then I have to scroll back down. Just general weirdness like that compared to the previous version.Collections seems dumb, I would much rather have my bookmarks or maybe pinned sites back. That's just off the top of my head.

furlion on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Anyone here with a OnePlus 7T? Just saw the price drop and am contemplating grabbing one at $399.

I mostly watch youtube and twitter and use the phone as a phone. So I wonder if I should just save $50 and grab a Pixel 4a.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I currently have a Note 9, which has always been a bit too much phone for me. Not tradeable, unfortunately, as it's pretty battered (I am anti-case).

oldmanken on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Okay, couldn't convince myself to jump from an XS to the beast of a Note 20 Ultra, but there’s some good deals on the S20 Plus out there now.

Now I just need to convince myself that it’s okay leaving behind all my family on Apple.

Okay, couldn't convince myself to jump from an XS to the beast of a Note 20 Ultra, but there’s some good deals on the S20 Plus out there now.

Now I just need to convince myself that it’s okay leaving behind all my family on Apple.

If you're searching for an excuse to avoid your brother-in-law's crazy rants about politics, you've found it

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Is there any way to lock the screen while it's playing videos? We gave our baby girl an old phone for youtube kids to watch her videos, but she's always touching the screen exiting out of the app and stopping videos

To my knowledge you can’t lock the screen to the point where you can’t interact with the touchscreen at all, but there is a way to lock it to a specific app on the screen. It is an Android feature called App Pinning. I don’t remember when it came to android but it may have been as far back as 5.1. that locks it to the app on the screen unless you press a specifc combination of the navigation buttons.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Well, I did it. I spent the morning looking at comparisons of the Pixel 4a and the OnePlus 7T, and opted just to pull the trigger on the 7T. I know the camera isn't quite as good, but have heard some software updates have helped. That said, it just seemed like too good a deal to pass up, and a decent replacement for my Note 9.

Ordered the Silver version, which is not getting restocked for 7-10 days, but I'm not in a huge rush, thankfully.

So the upcoming iphone will have 5G. Is it a foregone conclusion that Google and OnePlus will follow suit for their next models?

So the upcoming iphone will have 5G. Is it a foregone conclusion that Google and OnePlus will follow suit for their next models?

Yes. There will be a 4a with 5G and the Pixel 5 will be 5G

God damn nu Firefox mobile makes browsing and posting the forums a pain in the ass. Not sure if I should post in the bug report forum since it is obviously on Firefox.

edited September 2020
    Opera works fine on mobile. And has plugins

Mugsley on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I use Edge Chromium on my phone now along with my desktop. It all syncs together very well, pretty much the same as Chrome on both, and the Send to PC feature is real nice. Just click that button and the page immediately opens on my desktop.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    wunderbar wrote: »

To my knowledge you can’t lock the screen to the point where you can’t interact with the touchscreen at all, but there is a way to lock it to a specific app on the screen. It is an Android feature called App Pinning. I don’t remember when it came to android but it may have been as far back as 5.1. that locks it to the app on the screen unless you press a specifc combination of the navigation buttons.

Thank you gonna look it up now while she's asleep.

Also can someone explain the lock screen on the pixel 3 xl? Sometimes I can touch the screen, bring up notifications, and swipe to unlock. Other times I have to hit the button on the right side of the phone. I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Also can someone explain the lock screen on the pixel 3 xl? Sometimes I can touch the screen, bring up notifications, and swipe to unlock. Other times I have to hit the button on the right side of the phone. I can't figure it out for the life of me.

On my Samsung if you hit the screen where the home button is (it's not visible when locked) it will automatically bring up whatever security feature you have. Maybe you have to hit it in a certain spot?

And the official cases from Samsung only cover half the phone. Like whuuuu? Most cases on Amazon show a Dec/Jan release.

I'm pretty clumsy with my phones sometimes. I've dropped them down flights of stairs (that they luckily survived). I may be insane for pre-ordering this thing.

I've just ended up pre-ordering. Extra 20 a month I can cope with.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Surface Duo first impressions are starting to come out and I'm expecting reviews soon.

Dhalphir wrote: »
    Surface Duo first impressions are starting to come out and I'm expecting reviews soon.

Been testing one at work.

Hardware has incredible build quality and engineering. Experience is great but not practical as a phone. Software is still too early in places outside of the general MS/Google apps which is expected.

Hardware has incredible build quality and engineering. Experience is great but not practical as a phone. Software is still too early in places outside of the general MS/Google apps which is expected.

I hope (and assume) there will be some good comparisons between the Surface Pen and the Samsung S-Pen. The Duo always seemed more competitive with the Note than the Fold, considering they are pushing the productivity angle for it.

Number One Tricky
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Android 11 hit last night. The only difference I'm noticing are the way the phone changes focus a bit when going to the app tray, and the dedicated media notification which is actually really nice.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I haven't updated to 10 yet, I'm terrified of being forced onto the A10 gestures and away from Oxygen OS ones.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    My LG G6+ was pretty much permanently stuck on Android 8 (the phone launched with 7), which was a motivation for me upgrading to LG G8.

I haven't updated to 10 yet, I'm terrified of being forced onto the A10 gestures and away from Oxygen OS ones.

When I got my pixel 4 I hated the gestures at first. After two days I refuse to go back.

I hope (and assume) there will be some good comparisons between the Surface Pen and the Samsung S-Pen. The Duo always seemed more competitive with the Note than the Fold, considering they are pushing the productivity angle for it.

From what I've used of it. The Duo feels like the next step in a full PDA device for productivity, university students, general business use would see a massive benefit. However, to use it as a functioning phone you absolutely need to use both a smartwatch and wireless earphones. On the pen functionality I couldn't say too much as some of the pen compatible software was unavailable at the time, it feels like one of the weaker aspects of the device right now. The Note 20 Ultra pen support is far superior but less practical in use.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My 4a finally arrived! It's a little weird going down in size after having the XL for the last couple years. The keyboard feels small. But it's nice to have a one hander again.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Android 11's been fine on my 4a except for two bugs with doubleTwist (both related to the new notification layout for music apps), one that causes the phone to suddenly try to lock the screen and stuck in a flashing loop of lock/unlock until you hold the power button, and another rather catastrophic one that cause the phone to crash and fail to reboot without manual intervention (drops you to a low level boot screen where your prompts are to try to reboot again or flash phone to factory defaults).

Welp, time to use some other music apps until that gets fixed... and YouTube Music is still garbage, of course. Couldn't even load local music on the phone :rotate:

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List

When I got my pixel 4 I hated the gestures at first. After two days I refuse to go back.

Were you coming from gestures or from buttons?

Were you coming from gestures or from buttons?

Coming from a note 8, so I had buttons before. The gestures turned me off at first, but once I got used to them I found them to be super intuitive, and it's nice to reclaim that little bit of screen real estate from the bar on the bottom.

Yeah so I'm coming from gestures to gestures. I had the same reaction as you when I first switched to gestures, but now it's not the same feeling.

Oxygen OS gestures are swipe up on middle bottom for Home, swipe up on left or right bottom corner for Back, and swipe up middle and hold for multitasking.

I'm not a fan of the left-right gestures that A10-11 implement, and while older phones are supposed to keep their existing options when they upgrade, newer OnePlus phones don't have the previous Oxygen OS gestures available and I'm not willing to risk losing them on my current phone if something went wrong.

Is the only difference there that you're swiping up from a corner to go back, instead of swiping in from the side? I wonder if there's a way to replicate that gesture.

Is the only difference there that you're swiping up from a corner to go back, instead of swiping in from the side? I wonder if there's a way to replicate that gesture.

I think so. I've seen enough outcry over the last 12 months from OnePlus users that if there was a way, it would have been found

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Hurray, doubleTwist doesn't crash Android 11 anymore :crackle:

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List