As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

QUILTBAG: It’s Pride Time

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Saoirse at least has the benefit of having a couple of contemporary famous people with the name to make everyone learn. I feel like it's more likely for people to know that one than niamh or caoihme

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    Saoirse at least has the benefit of having a couple of contemporary famous people with the name to make everyone learn. I feel like it's more likely for people to know that one than niamh or caoihme

Or my friend's favorite: Aoibhneas.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    How is Saoirse pronounced? For some reason i assume like sur-see? i just checked and it's sur-sha... fabulos.

• Options
    AnalogWarlordAnalogWarlord Registered User regular
    Sur-sha, Sair-sha, and Seer-sha are all pronunciations i've seen. I use Seer-sha myself.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Psykoma on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Sur-sha, Sair-sha, and Seer-sha are all pronunciations i've seen. I use Seer-sha myself.

I knew someone named that who went with “sasha” because dumb americans couldn’t handle the unfamiliar

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    For some reason I always want to pronounce it "suh-reese" even though I know how it's meant to be pronounced and it isn't even spelled anything like that

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    For some reason I always want to pronounce it "suh-reese" even though I know how it's meant to be pronounced and it isn't even spelled anything like that

That's even a whole different name, no? Cerise?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Oh yeah like the bad lady from Game of Thrones?

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    That’s Cersei.

Blackhawk1313 on
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Cerise is a color
    Bright red, specifically
    Also a name, like many colors

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    It's also the word for Cherry in french

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I don’t understand Saoirse was the name of a major character in the seminal fantasy classic Willow

Everyone should know it

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Saoirse Willow is possibly the most trans gal name I've ever imagined

goddamnit why didn't I pick that

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    What is gendertrash?
    A miserable pile of pronouns.

this is late but

goddamn

high five

you won

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Still gonna go in for some hormonal testing and more in depth physical exam, but from the video consult, recommended procedure (basically a double mastectomy) I'd be out from work for at least three weeks, and there's no way I can afford that anytime before like, next spring.

• Options
    Grog wrote: »
    Saoirse Willow is possibly the most trans gal name I've ever imagined

goddamnit why didn't I pick that

Saoirse Willow is probably going to be what i pick now. I absolutely love it.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Still gonna go in for some hormonal testing and more in depth physical exam, but from the video consult, recommended procedure (basically a double mastectomy) I'd be out from work for at least three weeks, and there's no way I can afford that anytime before like, next spring.

Would your work give you short term medical disability?

• Options
    Is your job mostly office based now? I felt like I could have gone back to office work after 2 weeks. If you're lifting stuff though you'll want at least 4, ideally 6.

• Options
    I could probably do FMLA, I'd just need to build up sick leave/wait for my vacation time to reset after the new year/build some savings. My job would be secure but I'd only be getting paid any sick & vacation time that I had. And I do have an office but I also gotta move around heavy boxes of coins, open up & get inside self-checkout machines, and a lot of the work in my office involves extending my arms up & out.

There's also if there'll be a skin sagging problem after or how obvious/large scarring would be. I've got a lot to think about.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Btw, are there some media representations of nonbinary and other QUILTBAG characters that you are happy with?
    (clearly not DT in She-Ra - is JVN doing a good job at least?)

Yes, actually! I've recently gotten REALLY into Owl House, a new cartoon by Disney that debuted this year. Me and others gushed a little about it back on page 55.

The main character, Luz Noceda, is bisexual and that's pretty rad! Though honestly, I'm more into how she's strongly autism coded in ways that are so casual it took me a few episodes to start seeing it.

She's totally awkward around normal kids while effortlessly befriending the weird kids. She can't do magic the way witches in the Boiling Isles do, but she learns an alternate way to perform it that works for her.

The show also begins with her mother sending her off to a camp that's supposed to teach her to be a normal kid. (So, conversion therapy, what a Mom of the year).

There's plenty of other little nods! But I'm dead tired and I haven't rewatched the show yet, so my memory of the little details is vague at best right now.

Also, while I was going over this just now, I realized her outfit is almost definitely a low-key nod to the asexual pride flag.
    It's upside down and sightly off color, but given how queer the show is I doubt it's a coincidence. lol

04ftctckwwtu.png

snr28x6kta4j.png

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Having now been on hrt for a couple of months, I'm getting boobs! It's happening! Which is very exciting, but also aaaaah! I'm gonna need a bra very soon and I have like, zero clue of how to navigate that space.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Btw, are there some media representations of nonbinary and other QUILTBAG characters that you are happy with?
    (clearly not DT in She-Ra - is JVN doing a good job at least?)

Yes, actually! I've recently gotten REALLY into Owl House, a new cartoon by Disney that debuted this year. Me and others gushed a little about it back on page 55.
    The main character, Luz Noceda, is bisexual and that's pretty rad! Though honestly, I'm more into how she's strongly autism coded in ways that are so casual it took me a few episodes to start seeing it.

She's totally awkward around normal kids while effortlessly befriending the weird kids. She can't do magic the way witches in the Boiling Isles do, but she learns an alternate way to perform it that works for her.
    The show also begins with her mother sending her off to a camp that's supposed to teach her to be a normal kid. (So, conversion therapy, what a Mom of the year).
    There's plenty of other little nods! But I'm dead tired and I haven't rewatched the show yet, so my memory of the little details is vague at best right now.

Also, while I was going over this just now, I realized her outfit is almost definitely a low-key nod to the asexual pride flag.
    Granted, it's upside down and sightly off color. Buuuut that's the exact sorta thing I'd do to try to sneak a pride flag into a character design that make it recognizable yet vague enough for plausible deniability. yf23wb5xzvrw.png

04ftctckwwtu.png

snr28x6kta4j.png

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Having now been on hrt for a couple of months, I'm getting boobs! It's happening! Which is very exciting, but also aaaaah! I'm gonna need a bra very soon and I have like, zero clue of how to navigate that space.

I HIGHLY recommend r/ABraThatFits - they have a calculator and an exceedingly great FAQ, as well as plenty of links to sites showing you what a well-fitting bra is like, as well as a database of people of various sizes.

General things to know:

- most high street stores won’t measure you correctly. Nordstrom or a boutique is your best bet, though the bra calculator will allow you to measure yourself at home!
    - US sizing and bra companies are all over the place and aren’t generally consistent. A lot of people use the UK size chart.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    In particular cup sizes for bras vary wildly between manufacturers in the US in terms of what they're called vs. what size they actually are. I know Victoria's Secret is infamous (or was, at one point) for having a C cup that's roughly equivalent to an A cup from most other stores.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Couple things to add:
    • It doesn't hurt to start with simple, cheap sports bras. These fit a wide variety of breast sizes, so they're likely to still fit as you continue to grow, and they're always useful to have on hand. The downside is they tend to compress (make you look smaller). This was essential when I was still doing boy mode a lot (such as at work), but it's not exactly affirming.
    • Trans women breast sizes are often not supported by department stores. It's common to have a larger band size due to ribcage but a small cup size, especially in the early growth days. I started with a 38A, but department stores only went to a 36A (band was too tight), and anything B absolutely swallowed me. Online specialty stores can help. I wish I recalled the brand, but I found a 38A push-up (bottom padding) online that gave me quite a euphoric figure with no need for inserts or breastforms. Just follow their instructions for measuring yourself, and only order from a place that offers free returns (or at least free exchanges).

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I really enjoy Thirdlove for my online bra shopping. I feel like their questionnaire and directions got me some great fits when I was just getting started. Plus, their returns are super easy and chill.

• Options
    I haven't tried any of their bras yet (I do have a couple of their gaffs though), but Origami Customs (https://origamicustoms.com) does bras and other gender affirming clothing. And their bras are available with any combination of band and cup sizes.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    If you recall the brand, let us know

• Options
    PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Reading your well-informed posts, I've realised that maybe I hate bras because I've been buying shitty ones since the age of 13 X)

Have like 10 pretty lacey ones I've bought & then never wore because... ouch

Sports bras rule! (though I hope you'll enjoy bra shopping more than me & find stuff that's both gorgeous & comfortable ; )

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    hm, I should probably get a bra at some point but it seems like hassle. I think i'm an A cup?

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Victoria’s Secret is notorious for its bras being rubbish, tbh.

@PirateQueen and @Grog - go get a tape measure and use the bra calculator! :)

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Also, if custom bra is not within budget, and you need a larger band size, you can get extenders to add to the hook and eyes to add a few inches. Usually made with three and four hooks and eyes.

They've saved me quite a few moneys.

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    T-minus 9 to V-Day. After processing the fact that COVID means no visitors during recovery and that my wife breaking her foot last week means I am mostly on my own for aftercare, I think the combination of excitement and nerves has finally hit me. My internal state is officially “Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!”

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    Platy wrote: »
    If you recall the brand, let us know
    Found it-

Glamorise

This one says it's actually a 40A. Huh. Didn't remember that. It's still tighter than department store 38Bs, because nothing makes sense.

Anyway it was a great first bra~

• Options
    I'm at the point now where I'm reliably passing whenever I go out. Lots of "mate"s and "bud"s from guys in shops. And now I've moved there's nobody here who would have seen me in the Before Times. I feel like I'm getting away with something. Which is both cool but also quite stressful. I wonder how long it will be before the constant worry about being found out goes away. Or if it ever does.

• Options
    Took about a year or so for mine to go away.

That was without any traumatic events within the year related to being me publicly.

It's basically completely gone now tho

• Options
    It's less a worry for me and just a general assumption that people can tell at a glance

• Options
    Bloodwork and in-person meeting with the surgeon next Friday. My girlfriend has offered to set me up with her stylist once my hair gets long enough to need it's first clean-up. Which might be when I shave the beard. She's also, without me asking her to, started referring to me as partner instead of boyfriend and person instead of male terms. <3 her.

• Options
    Janson wrote: »

I HIGHLY recommend r/ABraThatFits - they have a calculator and an exceedingly great FAQ, as well as plenty of links to sites showing you what a well-fitting bra is like, as well as a database of people of various sizes.

General things to know:

- most high street stores won’t measure you correctly. Nordstrom or a boutique is your best bet, though the bra calculator will allow you to measure yourself at home!
    - US sizing and bra companies are all over the place and aren’t generally consistent. A lot of people use the UK size chart.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    Yeah, I'm from the UK so I'll be using that sizing anyway.

I already had a couple of sports bras and bralettes anyway, and I think I'll be fine using those for a bit yet, but yeah, I want something that doesn't hide things anymore. I'm kinda past that now :)

This discussion has been closed.