As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    My insider sources say that Breath of the Wild 2 will be hidden inside Frog Fractions 3.

Frog Fractions 5, you mean. The ARG was 2, Glittermitten Grove is 3, and the Iconic Hat DLC for the steam version of the original flash game is 4.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    My insider sources say that Breath of the Wild 2 will be hidden inside Frog Fractions 3.

Frog Fractions 5, you mean. The ARG was 2, Glittermitten Grove is 3, and the Iconic Hat DLC for the steam version of the original flash game is 4.

BotW2 was hidden inside Frog Fractions 3 this whole time!

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The big reveal will be a Zelda gacha game. Spend $200 to possibly roll a 4 star Old Man.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    The big reveal will be a Zelda gacha game. Spend $200 to possibly roll a 4 star Old Man.

Gotta keep spending until you get that rare "Error" pull :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'M SORRY DID I JUST LEARN SOMETHING NEW ABOUT BOTW WHILE WATCHING A JAPANESE VTUBER?

She's cooking while a blood moon is rising and everything she's throwing in the pot is coming out as the lucky success where it heals for more. Is that a fucking thing?! What the fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'M SORRY DID I JUST LEARN SOMETHING NEW ABOUT BOTW WHILE WATCHING A JAPANESE VTUBER?

She's cooking while a blood moon is rising and everything she's throwing in the pot is coming out as the lucky success where it heals for more. Is that a fucking thing?! What the fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

It is a thing, as far as I remember.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's a thing - there's a small window (I think from 11:30pm to midnight) during a blood moon in which all cooked food comes out as a critical success, which means some amplified effect (I think it's like... +a few more hearts for a healing dish, +duration for an effect, I think there's something else as well).

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Yeah, that's a thing - there's a small window (I think from 11:30pm to midnight) during a blood moon in which all cooked food comes out as a critical success, which means some amplified effect (I think it's like... +a few more hearts for a healing dish, +duration for an effect, I think there's something else as well).

Yep you are right on the time. It either gives more hearts or duration/power level/extra stam (not sure about the power level part). I remember alternating between extra stam and heart meals to get the bonus on each.

Also I usually only do it for a few and let the blood moon go when it gets too close to midnight. Time pauses when you are selecting food items.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    The other effects that can get enhanced are better protection from cold environments, hot environments, and electric attacks (I think the amount of protection and the duration was usually something of a trade off where more given to one meant less given to the other?).

And an increased speed boost or amount of stamina replenished if you made an elixir for either of those.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm familiar with the bonuses but goddamn I didn't know there was a way to sorta 'farm' it. I can't believe this is how I found out.

I had the game day one and I'm still learning new things about it. Jesus, Breath of the Wild is a masterpiece of a video game.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm familiar with the bonuses but goddamn I didn't know there was a way to sorta 'farm' it. I can't believe this is how I found out.

I had the game day one and I'm still learning new things about it. Jesus, Breath of the Wild is a masterpiece of a video game.

My wife plays this to no end (so much so that we bought a lite before the whole COVID-19, another copy and DLC). I recently found something on my playthrough that she didn't see and had to go check it out. It is why she loves the game so much, little things that are always hidden ready to be discovered.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I remember being freaked out when I first witnessed the blood moon.

It was a great excuse to reset the monsters.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I wish there could have been a way to structurally change the game so that when the blood moon brought back the monsters there'd still be some proof of your effort to finally push back the Ganon.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I wish there could have been a way to structurally change the game so that when the blood moon brought back the monsters there'd still be some proof of your effort to finally push back the Ganon.

I wish there was a way to also erase the stuff I called Gannon Juice (the stuff that hurts you touching it). Don't know the real name of it.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Oh right, the nasty hazard that is like the Corruption from the Metroid Prime universe.

I can't remember that it was every actually named. I like Ganon Juice.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    IIRC it's called Malice

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

This isn't meant to be an argument (because I'm pretty sure we've done this dance like four times already), but I'm still obligated to mention that adding this mechanic would require a huge deviation to the game's story. That Link is powerless to stop the corruption without directly confronting Ganon once and for all is one of (if not the) major themes.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

This isn't meant to be an argument (because I'm pretty sure we've done this dance like four times already), but I'm still obligated to mention that adding this mechanic would require a huge deviation to the game's story. That Link is powerless to stop the corruption without directly confronting Ganon once and for all is one of (if not the) major themes.

In my opinion there is proof of your efforts. Every time you free a Divine Beast, you get a statue standing at a high point visible from most of the rest of the world and a laser pointing into Hyrule Castle.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My wife pointed out that the Blood Moon not only brought the monsters back, but also reset the world as well. So the entire forest I chopped down comes back. She looks at it more as Ganon is healing the land (environment and life) from the effects of Calamity Link.

I mean, she's not wrong....

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Rehab wrote: »
    Oh right, the nasty hazard that is like the Corruption from the Metroid Prime universe.

I can't remember that it was every actually named. I like Ganon Juice.

Taint. It's Ganon's Taint.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It was a great concept to have a world reset every now and then. It probably was done for programming reasons. Better to blast out the cache on all the stuff you did.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    All I could ever think about when it happened was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7QbtpDWFoE

And it's kind of ridiculous how the lyrics actually fit for Zelda to boot.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »

In my opinion there is proof of your efforts. Every time you free a Divine Beast, you get a statue standing at a high point visible from most of the rest of the world and a laser pointing into Hyrule Castle.

I mean, like, if you could leave proof you'd already cleared a camp and gotten the treasure, so you knew not to waste precious resources on trying to clear it again. The entire map kind of blended together after a while, and I just couldn't remember where I'd been through because it all looked so similar.

Yeah, I know it's a me thing. I like a way in-game to know that I've done things in open world games, and I don't like my Zelda games to feel hopeless and powerless. It's straight up an issue with the direction of the design and what I personally want in a game and I know it. That's why I said "I wish", and not "there really should have been".

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    All I could ever think about when it happened was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7QbtpDWFoE

And it's kind of ridiculous how the lyrics actually fit for Zelda to boot.

Oof. That was a good chapter.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

I mean, like, if you could leave proof you'd already cleared a camp and gotten the treasure, so you knew not to waste precious resources on trying to clear it again. The entire map kind of blended together after a while, and I just couldn't remember where I'd been through because it all looked so similar.

Yeah, I know it's a me thing. I like a way in-game to know that I've done things in open world games, and I don't like my Zelda games to feel hopeless and powerless. It's straight up an issue with the direction of the design and what I personally want in a game and I know it. That's why I said "I wish", and not "there really should have been".

The chests in monster camps change stop glowing purple once you've opened them, don't they?

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It was a great concept to have a world reset every now and then. It probably was done for programming reasons. Better to blast out the cache on all the stuff you did.

It was definitely done for programming reasons. I think once you've filled a certain amount of assigned memory with things it needs to keep track of, it schedules a Blood Moon for the next night so it can clear it.
    I remember at least one speedrun (a GDQ one I think) where they showed that if you do enough fast enough, you can get it to trigger one immediately as an emergency memory purge, because you're doing stuff too fast for it to wait for midnight.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »

It was definitely done for programming reasons. I think once you've filled a certain amount of assigned memory with things it needs to keep track of, it schedules a Blood Moon for the next night so it can clear it.
    I remember at least one speedrun (a GDQ one I think) where they showed that if you do enough fast enough, you can get it to trigger one immediately as an emergency memory purge, because you're doing stuff too fast for it to wait for midnight.

There was in fact a memory leak that would result in near constant bloodmoons until you closed the game out and i think restarted your switch.

Which was pretty funny. Ganon status: Freaking OUT

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I've definitely had them occur in the middle of the day before.

Going from running around in a bright green field and blue skies or climbing your way up something and then smash cut to darkness decends upon Hyrule is jarring as hell but keeps you alert.

Rehab on
  • Options
    I hit the situation where the Blood Moons happen nearly constantly. I was in a place farming Guardian parts, so it wasn't actually the worst thing.

• Options
    I've never had a Blood Moon just happen in the middle of the day, they've always happened at night, and they commonly took me forever to get to. Apparently I wasn't doing enough to cram the memory jam packed full or something. Which leads me to ask what you all were doing that would overflow the game memory? :lol:

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I tended to get blood moons most often when I was travelling great distances by foot. I ignored all monster camps, so I think they were more to put them back in their starting locations after chasing me a few feet. Plus perhaps all the animals that must have spawned.

When I fast travelled they were much rarer.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I imagine the big difference is if you save and quit regularly or just kept the game going constantly with sleep mode.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I tended to get blood moons most often when I was travelling great distances by foot. I ignored all monster camps, so I think they were more to put them back in their starting locations after chasing me a few feet. Plus perhaps all the animals that must have spawned.

I imagine the big difference is if you save and quit regularly or just kept the game going constantly with sleep mode.

This explains a lot. I'd travel by foot stealthily avoiding or killing everything I came across on the way to a shrine, do the shrine, move on to the next, unless I had cleared out an area of shrines and other items, and then I'd fast travel to whereever my next bout of shrines was since I only did the 4 beasts after getting all 120 shrines which honestly I'm not sure it was the wisest idea but then again the beasts were much more simple and I wasn't constantly dying so that was nice. And whenever I was done, I'd save and quite for the night because I share the house with two other people, and while only one of them actually plays the Switch, the other one likes to turn it on and fuss with it, and also I'm just used to turning off games when I'm done with them until I'm ready to start them up again.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

This explains a lot. I'd travel by foot stealthily avoiding or killing everything I came across on the way to a shrine, do the shrine, move on to the next, unless I had cleared out an area of shrines and other items, and then I'd fast travel to whereever my next bout of shrines was since I only did the 4 beasts after getting all 120 shrines which honestly I'm not sure it was the wisest idea but then again the beasts were much more simple and I wasn't constantly dying so that was nice. And whenever I was done, I'd save and quite for the night because I share the house with two other people, and while only one of them actually plays the Switch, the other one likes to turn it on and fuss with it, and also I'm just used to turning off games when I'm done with them until I'm ready to start them up again.
    There's a big technical breakdown on Blood Moons, what they do, and what triggers them in this extremely informative reddit post.. In short: Panic Blood moons are cleanup for game systems and specific bits of memory: all resource loading handlers, physics, audio, and actor spawning memory heaps, and the texture handler if anything takes it over 60 seconds. They don't happen for any other reason. Monster death flags are a subset <15MB of flag data initialized at game boot, and permanently in memory thereafter. This means killing monsters has no effect, but spawning anything certainly does. It's very likely the actor and physics heaps filling up that most frequently cause Panic Blood Moons.

Regular Blood Moons are just a function of the game's time system, with some conditional flags that are allowed to prevent them.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    hemmelighthemmelight Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    The chests in monster camps change stop glowing purple once you've opened them, don't they?

I think Kalnaur is thinking of a more-permanent 'you've done this camp' marking?
    Like when you clear out a bandit camp in The Witcher 3, the marker for the camp on the map will be greyed out to indicate that.

I guess the difference here is that the camps aren't 'one and done' in BOTW. They aren't shown on the map as 'activities' in the same way.
    The locked chests will stay opened IIRC, but there's no way to know you've done that camp unless you walk up to it?

• Options
    hemmelight wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »

I think Kalnaur is thinking of a more-permanent 'you've done this camp' marking?
    Like when you clear out a bandit camp in The Witcher 3, the marker for the camp on the map will be greyed out to indicate that.

I guess the difference here is that the camps aren't 'one and done' in BOTW. They aren't shown on the map as 'activities' in the same way.
    The locked chests will stay opened IIRC, but there's no way to know you've done that camp unless you walk up to it?

You could always mark completed camps on the map. There are a limited number of symbols, but I certainly didn't use all of them.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    As someone who falls for the "camp checklist" type of gameplay, it didn't really bother me here. As said, they're not really structured or intended to be cleared out like that. They're just... camps with enemies and loot, that are there if you want them. From a traditional open world perspective, I love that about them. But they also had the same gameplay problem I and many people have said, where there's no incentive at all to clear them out in the first place.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    If the camps were marked, I would probably have been OCD compelled to clear them all. I 100%'d the entire map in AC Odyssey, for gods sake.

I view them not marking the camps as a mercy designed explicitly for me,

• Options
    I just appreciated how uniform they always managed to make their sweet skull bases look, regardless of how far apart they were.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Gotta make sure your local branch is up to snuff in case the boss swings by to visit.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
This discussion has been closed.