As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tekken and Other Fighting Games That Aren't Tekken, I Guess (digital karate simulations)

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Reynolds wrote: »
    What if 70% of all historical and mythological figures were actually cute anime girls and they fought with lightsabers and stuff to earn their generic love interests wishes? That's a Fate.

Alternatively, some of the interpretations can be bizarre or very interesting. In the former case, Fate's Thomas Edison is apparently a furry, as his spiritual incarnation has a lion's head. As an example of the latter, William Shakespeare can be summoned as a caster because the impact of his works and the means by which a playwright executes their art are akin to the reality-warping abstract powers associated with that class. Stuff like that.

Fate can be pretty neat to read about, but there seems to be a fair amount of pandering cliche anime stuff.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    Making a fighting game out of fate would probably be pretty easy just turn the holy grail war into a tournament arc

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    What if 70% of all historical and mythological figures were actually cute anime girls and they fought with lightsabers and stuff to earn their generic love interests wishes? That's a Fate.

Alternatively, some of the interpretations can be bizarre or very interesting. In the former case, Fate's Thomas Edison is apparently a furry, as his spiritual incarnation has a lion's head. As an example of the latter, William Shakespeare can be summoned as a caster because the impact of his works and the means by which a playwright executes their art are akin to the reality-warping abstract powers associated with that class. Stuff like that.

Fate can be pretty neat to read about, but there seems to be a fair amount of pandering cliche anime stuff.

Also the Greek Gods are all sentient spaceships and Alantians use nanomachines.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    making a fighting game out of most franchises is easy, you just put some healthbars on the screen and then put two characters on the screen and make 'em fight

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Making a fighting game out of fate would probably be pretty easy just turn the holy grail war into a tournament arc

Already been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=205q6-u5vuk

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    Well i was thinking more about a game with it's own storyline

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i am very unsurprised at that outcome

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Yeah so it looks like everyone at Lab Zero is jumping ship.

Here's hoping they all end up doing cool stuff in a non-shitty environment because they're all talented as hell.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    sidenote I want to fucking play a fg where I can be Gran's body with most of a Kuma for a head

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Lab Zero Games, more like Lab zero employees are willing to work with Mike Z anymore!

Haha, got 'im.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

Roy Wood is a treasure. My favorite is his bit about working at a buffet.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Do fighting games need their own satirical news parody site

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Good grief.

Hope things work out for them.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ConnConn Registered User regular
    I've done it.

I've done it.

I've cleared all of Yuzuriha's Mission combos.

All the way up through 5-3.

XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • Options
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    BuT tHe ExPoSuRe

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Wow that's shit

• Options
    was... there any implication whatsoever that there was payment associated or that it was anything beyond "your design gets in the game"?

I think it is silly they don't get it for free though lol

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    they didn't lie about it but it is still shit and exploitative

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    'Art Contests' are the worst shit in the universe, not only because the winners are under/not paid, but all the entrants who didn't win are basically doing thousands of hours of free concept design labor.

• Options
    Man Max has been on a Marvel kick and has been streaming mvc3 and infinite. 3 years later and it still hurts how much they fucked up infinite. The worst part is they could have just supported it and made it even cooler but nope, drop support after 2 months.

Supposedly Max spoke to some people who would know, and they basically confirmed that all the sick characters people wanted would have eventually been added as dlc.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I really hated the mostly Avengers roster on the Marvel side.

1. Cause it felt like a cynical MCU cash grab.

2. Cause, imo, Avengers are one of the blander Marvel teams. Personality and Power-wise

But that aside, let's not forget the game was ugly as sin.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    ive given up caring but the thing that is most annoying about the marvel cast in MVCI is how they were all super ugly like-the-movie models

and then Fortnite does a cross promo with marvel and they get pretty much exactly the sick 90's edition of the heroes that clearly every MVC fan would have preferred

• Options
    edited September 2020
    supporting it for longer would not have made it look less ugly visually, bad marvel roster aside

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    I have a hard time complaining about the Marvel side of the cast when all you have to do is look over at the Capcom side. It's so bland.

Like, I'm a huge Capcom fan and the only Capcom characters I even played were Monster Hunter and Frank.

Who put Arthur and Firebrand in there? And fucking 2008 Spencer of all characters. One DMC character, no clover characters, no Phoenix Wright, Resident Evil reps were pretty lame.

They better be working on MvC4 man I'm hungry.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DeMoN wrote: »

They better be working on MvC4

hah

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I have a hard time complaining about the Marvel side of the cast when all you have to do is look over at the Capcom side. It's so bland.

Like, I'm a huge Capcom fan and the only Capcom characters I even played were Monster Hunter and Frank.

Who put Arthur and Firebrand in there? And fucking 2008 Spencer of all characters. One DMC character, no clover characters, no Phoenix Wright, Resident Evil reps were pretty lame.

I mostly agree about the Capcom rep for it, but I actually thought Arthur and Firebrand were fun choices to include. The execution of their inclusion is a separate issue.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

I mostly agree about the Capcom rep for it, but I actually thought Arthur and Firebrand were fun choices to include. The execution of their inclusion is a separate issue.

Hell yeah, I love Ghosts'n'Goblins and Demon's Crest especially. Give Firebrand some elemental crests and let him go nuts.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Spencer got in solely because he was popular in MVC3. It's like how Sentinel came back in 3 because it was popular in 2.

• Options
    templewulf wrote: »

Hell yeah, I love Ghosts'n'Goblins and Demon's Crest especially. Give Firebrand some elemental crests and let him go nuts.

The fact that they included Firebrand and didn't make him his Demon's Crest version is the greatest shame of all.

There were also rumors that Asura was going to be dlc. Sigh.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

I think it's the AND that makes it weird. Arthur OR Firebrand makes sense (go with Firebrand).

This discussion has been closed.