As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Being the Follies and Exploits of Duke Bernard II The Compassionate [CK3]

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Prestige can be used to call allies into wars, also to declare certain types of wars

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Many of the things in "Decisions" cost prestige, (the last icon on the left side or F8) plus vassal interactions like revoking titles, and war declarations. (Although winning wars gets you prestige so it's usually a net benefit after the war)

You also want to be just racking up prestige because it makes you more famous and earns "renown" for your dynasty, both of which will make common actions more efficient, make people want to marry your kids more, unlock actions, etc. You go up in fame and dynasty splendor by banking a large amount at once and then when you get the notification that you've reached the limit you can spend down again.

I guess you're right that it's bad to die with a bunch, because your heir's prestige will be based on your renown and splendor which doesn't go down when you spend prestige, but it's not necessarily bad to go for banking a ton.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Stress is the little red bar next to your character portrait. If it is less than full, you're fine. One it fills up once you'll start having mental breaks every few years until it goes back down, giving bad traits or modifiers or events but reducing your stress level. You can fill the bar up to three times, each time putting you on a new level of stress with worse results than the one before.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I didn’t hold out quite as long as I thought I would. Tutorial was very welcome and I really love the pop up explanations for highlighted text, really good way to manage the total flood of information you’re subjected to as a new player.

Picked rurik for my first campaign, more or less at random. First thing I did was reshuffle my council, which I hope didn’t piss anyone off too bad, but that did end in me firing my priestess and making her my concubine, so that’s a faint hope.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I, uh, can't help but feel like I've somehow made a terrible mistake

ogftsddqc3c9.jpg

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Man, that'll make crusading way more convenient for the French.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Somewhere in south Germany, a man sits in a castle claiming to be an Emperor......

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Obviously Jerusalem is the real eye catcher there

But I'm really curious what's going on with Corsica and Norway

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    One of the things that's still throwing me about this game is that the map will show you duchies, kingdoms and empires that don't actually exist

I'm not really clear on what the point of that is? Like it seems weird that on some level the game "knows" that the Italian peninsula is destined to be organized into the kingdoms of romagna and sicily

They are de-jure kingdoms - you conquer half of the kingdom and then you get de-jure claims on the rest

Or if you're a king, you might want to form a duchy to give it away to someone. Likewise with an emperor and sub-kingdoms

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I'm guessing the Norway thing is getting in a tiff with the Normans over England and it going very, very poorly for the Normans.

Probably stupid question: if I have partition on succession how do I see which heirs inherit which titles?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I'm guessing the Norway thing is getting in a tiff with the Normans over England and it going very, very poorly for the Normans.

Probably stupid question: if I have partition on succession how do I see which heirs inherit which titles?

Oh true

For some reason my brain interpreted only seeing that slice of the map as like, these are the only places where Norway exists

• Options
    edited September 2020
    And now I'm the Holy Roman Emperor. Didn't even have to do a murder!

Check out Norway partying like it's 878:
    a9k673ap02pb.jpg

I'm honestly not sure what I should be doing now... maybe restore the Actual Roman Empire? Mend the Schism? Unite the Slavs?

Tynnan on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    So am I the only one here who wound up taking a siCK3 day this week? I can't stay up until 3am and remain functional the following day like I used to

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    This game remains unmatched as a story generator, but some of the stories it spits out are just unbearably sad. See for example my current King of Abyssinia. Gay, but closeted/abstinent and deeply depressed/self-loathing about it due to his extreme devotion to his faith.

wavznhedncl2.jpg

Even the way his wife looks at him kills me. You think she doesn't know how it is?

7uokwjfycl1z.jpg

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I haven't had the chance to play too much more, but I did a little time rewinding after my Chief died at 69 (nice) just a couple months before having enough cash to form the Kingdom title and pass on my holdings intact.
    So, suddenly one year earlier, still alive but maybe not for long, I was trying to think of a way to speed up money gain. Right, Raiding. I hadn;t been doing a whole lot of it so far, most of my neighbors were dirt poor because theye been punching each other so much, but just past them was another culture with a nice 13 gold target. So we formed up and raided the town with no resistance. Now the 13 gold was not going to do it alone, I needed more like 60. BUT the raiders also happened to kidnap that rulers children. Plural. He was happy to pay 50 in ransom for the first one, and 45 for the second because it's all he could afford.

So after raiding and bankrupting another nation the Kingdom of Yurgan was born. Something like that. I may fudge the name.
    Now I'm getting warnings that my vassals are getting grumbly because I'm holding too many titles at once. It gets a bit confusing because they call them duchies, but the tribal terminology is different, but I finally gifted out two of lower rank titles to my other sons.
    Which drove me straight to maxxing out stress level one because I'm ambitious and I don't think giving away titles.

That's where I paused for the evening.

Since I've been on a Gundam kick lately I also named two of my children Daikun. A boy and a girl born pretty much simultaneously from different concubines. It amuses me that they've both gained the trait Genius Philosopher as they've aged up.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

The realm tab, the little green crown on the right, and then there is a succession tab on that window that shows who is getting what.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Am I missing something or is there nothing to remind you where your armies are if you lose track of them?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Have you checked up your sleevies?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, this thread starts out places and goes from there:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    I was on the fence but this is on game pass which is $1 for the first month so I'd be losing money by not getting it!

I'm trying to become king of Ireland and my spymaster slept with my wife who bore my illegitimate heir, which I was going to let slide while I seduced my wife to hopefully get another son, but then the spymaster started a faction against me so I tried to throw him in prison for adultery then he revolted so I quashed that and then revoked his title! everything is happening so much!

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Am I missing something or is there nothing to remind you where your armies are if you lose track of them?

theres a little scroll/paper thing in the top right under the holdings display and if you click that it opens the list of things you've pinned and includes armies too

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    I think my game is having a stroke
    9YMMyqY.png?1

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    I've seen a couple bugged out stories, but usually had enough info in them to get a general idea of what was going on. Never quite as mysterious as that!

And speaking of bugs, they might need to do a few more passes on how some of the clothing options fit on certain body types.

My Irish queen just joined a crusade, and while she's understandably happy the pope lifted her excommunication, her choice of armor that let's the whole world see her rocking tits is probably just gonna get her excommunication reinstated.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020

@Peewi if you look at the top right of the screen, just underneath your Domain holdings, you can pop-out an Outliner view. If you have raised armies, they'll all be visible here and you can double-click them in the Outliner to snap to them. This is also a handy way to handle building construction in your Domain.

ur9nrm0h74dk.jpg

Tynnan on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I posted this in the other thread, but there currently is a bug in Ironman games where it forgets who you started as on save/load.

This breaks many hard achievements like Mother of us All. Don't go chasing those cheevos unless you want to marathon it.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I'm watching Arumba play vikings, and he currently has a male gay witch berserker with 43 goddamn prowess

dude is the most murderous sassy bitch imaginable

• Options
    I have over 5000 piety and the required holy sites to reform my faith. What's something good/silly I can do with it?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I have over 5000 piety and the required holy sites to reform my faith. What's something good/silly I can do with it?

consecrate your bloodline

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Reform the faith and make a gay pope.

• Options
    I was about 8 years of piety accumulation away from creating a new version of Coptic Christianity which was fully equal and tolerant of everything up to and including married lesbian witches as clergy, but then my king had a heart attack and now it's back to square one

I was going to call it Defunda Coptic Christianity

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Hoo boy, I need to be more careful and check the fine print before signing onto an allies defensive war. I was not expecting that many troops to show up on my border instantly.
    That was a bloody war. which we did actually win. But it really cleared the board of people I'd been dealing with for a long time. Like most of that council dead. Replacement council? Half dead.
    On the plus side so is everyone who was kinda thinking about backing a play to replace me.

• Options
    Being sadistic and your faith doing human sacrifice seems like a pretty nice combo. You just go to war and execute all your prisoners and it builds piety AND reduces stress.

Unfortunately my current guy is just, so he wouldn't like that strategy very much.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    So I just downloaded and started the game. The tutorial starts me off in Luimneach, which is my home town.

So that's a bit weird.

I assume everyone starts the tutorial in the same place?

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    So I just downloaded and started the game. The tutorial starts me off in Luimneach, which is my home town.

So that's a bit weird.

I assume everyone starts the tutorial in the same place?

Well now i'm going to very let down when it dosent start me in New Zealand.

I mean, really, were the devs even trying? *huffs*

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    So one thing that is not clear in the tutorial is how dutchy level buildings work. Each dutchy has a de jure capital you need to control. If you also control the dutchy title you can build one special building that functions as long as you keep that dutchy title.

It looks like a kingdom capital can make mulitple of these buildings as well. These are really nice buildings that can max your men at arms while reducing their cost, upgrade out your knights and commanders or offer additional stress reduction.

So holding 3 dutchies and a kingdom can be worth the opinion penalty.

Also remember that you can switch up your spouse's bonus depending on what you need, more then once that extra bit of stewardship let me keep an extra title.

I know someone mentioned an army apearing right after a war declaration. You can add additional rally points anywhere in your realm to counteract large empires. Also if that was the army of an ally they could have had it raised already then joined the war.

So story time, my petty Irish king was deposed and his heir killed in battle, leaving his frail 11 year old daughter on the throne. I thought the game was over until best doggo Shadow showed up. He helped befrend the spymaster and regular walks improved her health to fine. 60 years later she was the mother of 11 genius children, half of whom she outlived, and had won two crusades putting great grandaughters on the thrones of Jerusalem and Valencia and founded a holy order.

One fun thing is the granddaughter in Jerusalem has converted to a Muslim faith (then inherited large parts of northern Italy somehow) so the Pope had called a new crusade against her. The queen though joined the crusade and, as an icon of the faith, redirected it away from her family to Spain.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I noticed this awaited me when closing out of the game yesterday.
    nvxjeduiq3h0.png

There is a total of 5 remaining members of the dynasty, and they are all siblings of roughly the same age.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Broke my murder cherry by killing my 6 year old brother.

It was sad, but if he didn't want to be killed he shouldn't have inherited a duchy I wanted. That was just poor planning on his part.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I definitely still don't completely understand how to properly manage titles and claims. I did a Tribal start as Lithuania, and have massively expanded, founding the Kingdom and am halfway to the empire, but I think I messed up early on and didn't properly distribute things within my sons because basically nothing is directly owned by my family anymore outside my original county.

I'm not really sure how to re-consolidate things, and it's causing at least one rebellion per ruler at this point.

Edit: Also just trying to progress out of Tribal so I can start mass developing takes forever.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    What probably happened is that they were deposed from below, or warred upon by internal neighbor. Dukes can fight each others, counts can claim on Dukes. Can't be totally stopped. Maybe they got peasant revolted on?

If you start small, you can carpet an entire country with your family. If you are careful about religion and culture, this can over time spreads a monoculture/monoreligion. But you need to actually conquer county by county and keep spreading it out. And they will still fight and make a nightmare map over time. You can watch for wars within your realm, and you can offer aid against peasants with the "join war" personal interaction.

If a single vassal has too much land, they will give it out to someone they like. It can also transfer out of the family under certain inheritances.

Remember that you can revoke titles from rebels if you have at least 1 step of tribal government. Though I think only 1 title at a time. Still taking the Duchy title from someone who hates you, and giving it to someone who already likes you, makes the rebel a vassal of a vassal, aka not your problem.
    And "Give up claims" is also a really good button to press when releasing someone from prison.