As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I usually just do elemental resistance and rely on dodging for melee/ranged. Or Shieldweaver. On normal. When I get around to it we'll see how well that holds up on Hard.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I could live without instant outfit switching (in fact to reduce cheese, I'd probably just keep you from changing your clothes in the middle of a fight), but I'd use traps a hell of a lot more if I could select them from a slow-mo wheel.
    I'd make it so dpad-left opens a wheel of potions, right opens a wheel of traps, and whichever you pick is your equipped item on dpad-down.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I only really use the elemental armors on cases where the important attacks are elemental. Like, for example, if you're fighting bellowbacks, sure, they can technically do physical damage, but mostly the thing you actually worry about is the fire. And so on.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Shield supposedly doesn't work very well on Ultra Hard and the resistance armors are much much better. The shield is basically nerfed on Ultra Hard. It will save you from one hit and then the next hit you get one shot while it charges.

Whereas 50% or more reduction to physical damage doesn't really go away. So far I don't have many outfits, but I just bought an anti melee suit I intend to wear during story fights (or I accidentally piss off a sawtooth or something). It's quite hard to buy suits since everything costs so much, but I'm going to want at least a fire, shock and freeze suit of decent resistances, with appropriate mods, by the end of the game. Possibly also a ranged suit.

So far I've just relied on dodging but enemies do not take turns on Ultra Hard. It's a lot harder to avoid all damage, you really have to concentrate. I get tagged a lot.

Changing suits is a pain, but I already swap between two different modded carja bows. One is fully physical modded and one is fully fire.

Honestly it's not much worse than messing around with items in Dragon's Dogma.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Random thing that I noticed in my current play through:
    There are nine seats in the Alpha room.

The known Alphas were Elisabet (Alpha Prime, GAIA), Charles Ronson (ARTEMIS), Samina Ebadji (APOLLO), Travis Tate (HADES), Patrick Brochard-Klein (ELEUTHIA), Margo Shen (HEPHAESTUS), Naoto (DEMETER), and Ayomide Okilo (MINERVA). There should have also been an Alpha for AETHER and an Alpha for POSEIDON.

If Elisabet hadn't sacrificed herself, someone would have had to give up their seat during a full team meeting!

(or maybe just drag in a chair from another room?)

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    yeah, I get all the outfits and outfit them with the best mods that enhance their existing attributes, but I do that because I'm a digital hoarder. In reality, I'm in my stealth outfit 95 percent of the time, Shield weaver for 4, and the banuk healing outfit for 1.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

The known Alphas were Elisabet (Alpha Prime, GAIA), Charles Ronson (ARTEMIS), Samina Ebadji (APOLLO), Travis Tate (HADES), Patrick Brochard-Klein (ELEUTHIA), Margo Shen (HEPHAESTUS), Naoto (DEMETER), and Ayomide Okilo (MINERVA). There should have also been an Alpha for AETHER and an Alpha for POSEIDON.

If Elisabet hadn't sacrificed herself, someone would have had to give up their seat during a full team meeting!

Probably the opposite. The way they are unevenly spaced there probably were 10 chairs. They just didn't want to stare at an empty one after Elisabet sacrificed herself.

At least one of the Alphas agreed to do the work to build it, but picked the euthanasia option when it was over.
    There was the log about one of the others missing being there with him for the end because he was trying to get one last sample processed in time.

klemming wrote: »

At least one of the Alphas agreed to do the work to build it, but picked the euthanasia option when it was over.
    There was the log about one of the others missing being there with him for the end because he was trying to get one last sample processed in time.
    Tom Paech wasn't an alpha, he worked on Artemis with Charles Ronson. They became romantically involved, and yeah the tragedy at the end there. Charles didn't even manage to complete the work he stood up Tom for.

Aistan wrote: »

Tom Paech wasn't an alpha, he worked on Artemis with Charles Ronson. They became romantically involved, and yeah the tragedy at the end there. Charles didn't even manage to complete the work he stood up Tom for.
    Okay, but it still means that some of the Alphas may have opted to not be there at the end.
    Alternatively, maybe some of them finished their work early enough to be able to go to Elysium (which I'm expecting to see in the nest game).

Looking at the map, does it feel like there was a hook for a second DLC area to anyone else? That big gate north of Pitchcliff? I feel like that would have led to Oseram territory, unless I've got my geography mixed up again.

With the ending
    I don't understand why Aloy didn't dismantle HADES entirely. She just up and leaves immediately after shutting it down, leaves Sylens' spear in it and everything. It doesn't make sense. Of course Sylens is going to pull some shit. It's Sylens.

The Carja don't investigate it, they don't bust it apart, they don't do shit. Some random-ass farmer is poking it when HADES escapes.

Makes no sense, this thing can end the world. Blow it the fuck apart.

edited September 2020
    With the ending
    I don't understand why Aloy didn't dismantle HADES entirely. She just up and leaves immediately after shutting it down, leaves Sylens' spear in it and everything. It doesn't make sense. Of course Sylens is going to pull some shit. It's Sylens.

The Carja don't investigate it, they don't bust it apart, they don't do shit. Some random-ass farmer is poking it when HADES escapes.

She thought it was completely deleted. What was left was supposed to be a dead metal brain with nothing in it, same as in all the Metal Devils.
    And Sylens never gave any serious betrayal vibes before that. It'd take some incredible paranoia to take "I'd do it all again, just with more safeguards" to mean "I'll willingly endanger the entire world by preserving this thing by sabotaging the means you're going to use to destroy it", and Aloy's not that untrusting of people.

klemming on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    With the ending

She thought it was completely deleted. What was left was supposed to be a dead metal brain with nothing in it, same as in all the Metal Devils.
    And Sylens never gave any serious betrayal vibes before that. It'd take some incredible paranoia to take "I'd do it all again, just with more safeguards" to mean "I'll willingly endanger the entire the world by preserving this thing by sabotaging the means you're going to use to destroy it", and Aloy's not that untrusting of people.
    I would have smashed it anyway but I am a thorough person. Don't really fault her for not doing it. A bit of naivette is expected of the young. She really did think it was over.

I'd just make sure.

Okay, but it still means that some of the Alphas may have opted to not be there at the end.
    Alternatively, maybe some of them finished their work early enough to be able to go to Elysium (which I'm expecting to see in the nest game).

Looking at the map, does it feel like there was a hook for a second DLC area to anyone else? That big gate north of Pitchcliff? I feel like that would have led to Oseram territory, unless I've got my geography mixed up again.

Possibly, but its also a sign of good worldbuilding to leave a gate leading to a large area that we know must exist out there, which we know people come back and forth from. So even if they never planned it, if it wasn't there, someone would be asking "so uh, how do the oseram get here anyway?"

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited September 2020
    With the ending

And Sylens never gave any serious betrayal vibes before that. It'd take some incredible paranoia to take "I'd do it all again, just with more safeguards" to mean "I'll willingly endanger the entire world by preserving this thing by sabotaging the means you're going to use to destroy it", and Aloy's not that untrusting of people.
    Sylens has been nothing *but* untrustworthy the entire game. He made it abundantly clear that literally everything he does is for his own benefit. He doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself and Aloy comments on this numerous times.

With the game over, i'm considering trying Ultra Hard for my inevitable NG+ run. The banuk bow was so bonkers that the idea of even doing half damage against harder robbots seems reasonable. We'll see if I regain my senses and choose otherwise.

Slightly annoyed that 5 machine types repaired and 5 dismount strikes achievements bugged out and never triggered.

Aistan on
    With the ending

Sylens has been nothing *but* untrustworthy the entire game. He made it abundantly clear that literally everything he does is for his own benefit. He doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself and Aloy comments on this numerous times.
    But he never betrays you once until the stinger.
    'Untrustworthy' doesn't automatically mean 'will knowingly endanger the world'.
    Sylens was completely open about this being about mutual self-interest, and could be trusted to keep to that.
    He was never going to do anything out of altruism, but he also wasn't going to let something bad happen if it would disrupt his goals, hence him rescuing Aloy. The obvious logic was that for his own self-interest (and survival) he wouldn't want to keep the world-ending threat around.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    With the ending

Sylens was completely open about this being about mutual self-interest, and could be trusted to keep to that.
    He was never going to do anything out of altruism, but he also wasn't going to let something bad happen if it would disrupt his goals, hence him rescuing Aloy. The obvious logic was that for his own self-interest (and survival) he wouldn't want to keep the world-ending threat around.
    Sylens released Hades in short-sighted, but perhaps initially forgivable, pursuit of knowledge. And after it stabbed him in the back and tried to kill him, he didn't help Aloy so much as he was just using her to clean up his mess to save his own ass. And to use her as a walking lockpick to get him into places he couldn't go himself. She was never more than a tool to him. There was no "mutual self interest", just his extortion of "you should try to stop Hades or you and everyone else will die". There's no choice for her there, just "do what I say or die". And learning that Hades' was created specifically to wipe out all life, when directly asked if he would release this world-ending plague again, he says yes. That is him literally saying he 'will knowingly endanger the world' given the chance. Which also means post-credits is not a "betrayal" because it's exactly what he said he would do.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    With the ending

Sylens released Hades in short-sighted, but perhaps initially forgivable, pursuit of knowledge. And after it stabbed him in the back and tried to kill him, he didn't help Aloy so much as he was just using her to clean up his mess to save his own ass. And to use her as a walking lockpick to get him into places he couldn't go himself. She was never more than a tool to him. There was no "mutual self interest", just his extortion of "you should try to stop Hades or you and everyone else will die". There's no choice for her there, just "do what I say or die". And learning that Hades' was created specifically to wipe out all life, when directly asked if he would release this world-ending plague again, he says yes. That is him literally saying he 'will knowingly endanger the world' given the chance. Which also means post-credits is not a "betrayal" because it's exactly what he said he would do.
    That is mutual self-interest. He did these things to help himself, and relied on her doing her things because it would help her too. He never offers to do anything that won't benefit him, and never expects her to do anything that won't benefit her.

He wanted to find out about the Old Ones, and he wanted to live when Hades wanted him dead. He finds out about someone who's a threat to Hades, and has a resemblance to Elizabet Sobek, and does everything he can to help her succeed so that she can continue to be a threat to Hades and maybe find out about the Old Ones.

That's his gain, hers is the assistance that keeps her from being swamped by Eclipse the moment she sticks her head out, and the information that lets her cut a lot of time off her searching.

And he says he'd do it again 'but with a few more safeguards', presumably to make sure the world-ending plague doesn't actually get released. He was negotiating with a prisoner when he met Hades, he just didn't realise what giving it freedom would mean.

The only time Sylens acts like a human is near the end
    After finding out what happened to Elisabet. When Aloy berates him over his reaction to sentimentality, telling him that sentimentality is why Elisabet created GAIA to actually care about things and how that's why GAIA succeeded. At this he seems genuinely ashamed and then tells her he's sorry for her loss.

Mostly it's just that I don't think Sylens and his friend are interesting avenues to pursue in the future and would prefer other story hooks.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Pretty sure I'm very near the end of this now and all I can say at this point (after several huge information dumps) is holy shit. This story goes places. I'm am impressed. And a bit gobsmacked. All it needs to do now is not fall on its face in the last mission or two or three that are left...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I'm probably in the same place.

Yeah this is an incredible story with engaging and consistent characters.

From what's been says here and elsewhere, it holds up through the end.

It holds up. Strap in folks and prepare yourselves!

Frozen Wilds spoilers:
    Nice bit of framing at the start of the Frozen Wilds. "You have witnessed their spirits rise up into the blue light!" the chieftain declaims, a smoking volcano casting a red glow over the sky at his back...

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Hoo boy, 2x Daemon Fireclaws is no joke. Glad I waited until I had the shield armor!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    This game kicked my ass and I never finished it on PS4. I'm hoping a KBAM can turn things around (along with some Git Gud guides.)

Does anyone have recommendations for Mouse-4, Mouse-5, and wheel-click bindings?

Per this thread, I have derived that I must make more investments into combat this time. Stealth is a trap. Aloy has to fight. A lot. She needs things to die when she shoots them.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767

Another random thing I love: the incredible irony in Helis' dialog.
    During the final fight, his taunt lines go: "What are you, before the Terror of the Sun? Your fate was set! I am chosen! You came from nothing! You will die a nothing! A savage who cannot understand destiny!"

It's so completely opposite reality.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    I should have tried out the Icerail in that fight, I forgot about it.

Yeah, I just spammed explosives. I'm guessing that doesn't work quite as well on the harder difficulties.

Holy cow the deformable snow is great! I just mixed it up on a ledge with 3 Sawtooths and I resorted to using the Blast Sling since the quarters were too tight for me to charge up my bow. You can see my entry point, followed by absolute chaos where I was fighting. It's a little thing but it makes me happy. :D

edited September 2020
    Orca wrote: »
    Yeah, I just spammed explosives. I'm guessing that doesn't work quite as well on the harder difficulties.

No blowing shit up always works. Just you have to dodge a lot more and use more explosives.

On ultra hard tho against robits the trick is freeze then triple hardpoint arrows for omgwtfbbq damage.

Against humans, when discovered, either hardpoint them from range (single shot to head or triple shot body if dont care to aim), or blast sling up close

Morninglord on
    edited September 2020
    I got my Adept Banuk Sharp Shot bow and loaded it up with damage mods. It takes about 3 days to fully charge up, but it's rated at 750 damage (edit: when triple-nocked) which just like...wat

Orca on
    If there's one thing about the PS5 I'm looking forward to, it's that when I inevitably replay HZD it'll look better than it does on the base PS4. And given that it looks amazing on the base PS4. . .

Well, here are some of my favorite screenshots:
    a1SU12M.jpeg
    g5SMZts.jpeg
    vxNLBvO.jpeg
    li1ia1Y.jpeg

edited September 2020
    I also play on base ps4 and it is ridiculously goodlooking for such an old game.

But I'll be honest. Since 2015, I haven't really noticed any big difference in visual quality. Just artistic styles.

Witcher 3 is still amazing looking.

Morninglord on
    Does anyone else spend like 20 minutes at a time reconfiguring mods in weapons and armor to try to eke one more percent improvement out of something? I swear I've wasted so much time just moving mods around or comparing them to each other...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Does anyone else spend like 20 minutes at a time reconfiguring mods in weapons and armor to try to eke one more percent improvement out of something? I swear I've wasted so much time just moving mods around or comparing them to each other...

No

but I do spend that much time deciding which mods to trash and which ones to hold onto so it evens out I suppose

It looks like there is a damage cap for the Sharp Shot bow (250) and for the Hunter Bow (175). So you can take advantage of 3 damage mods, and then the 4th should probably be a handling mod or similar I guess when you're on the Adept version of the weapon.

I'm not entirely clear how damage and elemental mods work with the Icerail and related weapons...is it only worth it to put in elemental and handling mods on those or can they benefit from damage?

Improved icerail definitely benefits from damage.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm beginning to understand why my first run of this on PS4 was so doomed. The "optional" sidequests in the beginning aren't so optional. You should do them all. I've completed Revenge of the Nora for the first time.

Second, as much as I love stealth, the Prowler track is a trap. Nora has many inescapable fights and its not long before her arrows and spear are tickle-sticks that don't kill humans upon headshots. The combat perks are what keep Aloy alive.

Actually, humans spotting Nora through the red grass is forcing me to unlearn the baby Nora tutorial.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited September 2020
    If Aloy is crouched in red grass, no one is alert, and no offensive actions are seen/heard, nothing will spot her barring physically bumping into her or a few specific enemies' active abilities.

Aistan on
    And done. Now I can go back and read all the spoiler comments in this thread. :lol:

Gonna put this in the top 5 of "best games I ever played"...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
This discussion has been closed.