As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

And in the [13th Age] things began to ... Escalate!

167891012»

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Ordered a bunch of stuff since Pelgrane has a 4 for 3 deal on right now. Bestiary, Book of Loot, Book of Ages, and Shards of the Fallen Sky.

I need to dig into book of loot. My players just cleared level 1, time to start giving them weird ass magical shit.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Ordered a bunch of stuff since Pelgrane has a 4 for 3 deal on right now. Bestiary, Book of Loot, Book of Ages, and Shards of the Fallen Sky.

Even the convention deals are online now!

That's basically the deal I've seen them run at pretty much every Con I've seen them at.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

Even the convention deals are online now!

That's basically the deal I've seen them run at pretty much every Con I've seen them at.

Yep, it's a coupon code on their store that mentions online convention.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Where is this deal advertised?

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Where is this deal advertised?

If I sign in to the store, it's under offers.

Copy-pasted for convenience:
    CURRENT OFFERS
    Get 10% off any order over $100/£80 with the voucher code BKS#TENOFF.

Get our convention special offer (any 4 items for the price of 3) with the code COVID20@4FOR3

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Session went perfectly. The party ended up heading to the inn, betting on a frog race and having a good ole time while getting free food and drink. Eventually a brawl breaks out, but not before one of the characters goes home to his wife and kid (perfect timing). I end up running two separate skill challenges, one for the folks fighting the brawl, and the complications included therein, and one for the one player to play "Griffin Riders" with his daughter, which is pretty much him being a griffin and her riding him and terrorizing their dogs. It was great. I ran a single initiative and when we got to him we would cut from the bar and to his house. The contrast was great.

I highly recommend the supplement "Tavern Brawl Builder" by Jean Lorber on DM's Guild for running bar brawls in d20 based games. This is great for low level players, and you can really drive home it's non lethal.

I ran the Fortunate Frog Tavern, with the "Give her the Goats" brawl encounter and the "Hype the Crowd" Complication. It makes it super easy to set up a unique brawl quickly. The only thing I changed this time is instead of it being a combat encounter, I set it up as a skill challenge because I prefer that. Since we were running on Roll20 and these didn't need maps, I had a landing page with an image of a fantasy bar brawl with fun light hearted fight music, and a landing page with a nice city home with rustic music playing, and I'd switch the players between them as needed. I think it worked great.

webguy20 on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Anyone tried converting 5e, or maybe 4e stuff, to 13th age?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

On a case by case, I think you can move between all three more or less alright, once you factor in things like bounded accuracy and level limits. Was there something specific?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The systems feel pretty different though 13th Age has some reasonable math for it. It'd feel a bit like recreating it in another system rather than just adjusting some numbers though.

The thing that gets me is why. 13th Age's bestiaries are some of their best products with the monsters having a lot of personality and fun design. I could definitely see going 13th -> 4e (or 5e I guess.)

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited September 2020
    The systems feel pretty different though 13th Age has some reasonable math for it. It'd feel a bit like recreating it in another system rather than just adjusting some numbers though.

The thing that gets me is why. 13th Age's bestiaries are some of their best products with the monsters having a lot of personality and fun design. I could definitely see going 13th -> 4e (or 5e I guess.)

later 2nd and 3rd monster manual stuff from 4e will go pretty much straight into 13th age, you just might have to level it up and down due to 13th age only having 10 levels, versus 30. With 4e monster building rules though, it's super straight forward. the 4e MMs are up on DMs Guild, so I picked them up just to add breadth to my 13th age products. Kobold press stuff is another great resource for monsters.

the more I play it again, the more it cements to me that 13th Age is my d20 game of choice. It has all the feeling of home, but in a modern easy to use setting that is streamlined in just the right ways from 4e.

webguy20 on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    webguy20 wrote: »
    @Mostlyjoe13 Can you link to the Overworld and beyond product? Sounds like I could use that in my Spelljammer-esque campaign.

Apologies it took me a while to get back to you about this. But here you go. Enjoy.

I am!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/263087/The-Overworld-and-Beyond-13th-Age-Compatible

There is a companion book to fill out the pantheon, and to add ICON/God relationships.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/193880/Gods-and-Icons-13th-Age-Compatible

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Does book of the underworld have any additional character options?

A few. But it's more a location, challenge book. Loads of options to flesh out underworld encounters and how they tie to existing ICONS, races, etc. There IS a few cool Dwarf/Drow things though.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    Tox wrote: »

On a case by case, I think you can move between all three more or less alright, once you factor in things like bounded accuracy and level limits. Was there something specific?

I was just looking for some more story oriented campaign books, which 13th age seems to lack natively, so I was wondering how hard it would be to convert eg. Curse of Strahd.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

Tox wrote: »

I was just looking for some more story oriented campaign books, which 13th age seems to lack natively, so I was wondering how hard it would be to convert eg. Curse of Strahd.

Oh yeah uhh, that's probably gonna be hard. I mean, you'd probably be better off swapping out and/or reskinning monsters, and bringing over individual powers/abilities as needed. I mean that's not a port, that's a full rewrite

I feel a little bit bad taking Shadow Step as a rogue. In the 2 combats we've run so far, I have taken 0 damage, and everyone else in the party has reached bloodied in both...

I feel a little bit bad taking Shadow Step as a rogue. In the 2 combats we've run so far, I have taken 0 damage, and everyone else in the party has reached bloodied in both...

Have you tried suggesting they get gud?

edited August 2022
    The first of a few posts this week announcing and explaining 13th Age 2e! bit.ly/3bYqCR7

Jonathan Tweet is back as well; this feels very much like a Revised edition more than a New edition (it's been called 13th Age: Escalation Edition)

Hoping more classes get the Druid treatment of "here's a basic frame and you bolt on the ideas that you think best represents this class/archetype" but we'll see.

Not sure I care for "kin" as a relabel for "race" but I definitely liked PF2e's Ancestry.

Tox on