As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kids] are the best of times, the worst of times

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Kid's first week at school is going mostly fine. He really likes his teachers and the other kids in class are super interesting, but it is super tiring. I'm glad it's weekend and we're not going to do anything exciting with him. I wonder how long it'll take for him to get used to school energy-wise.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Getting a urine sample from a ten month old is hard work.

Nending was not super onboard with what we were trying to achieve

Did you use those bags that stick to the croth inside the diaper? We had to get a sample when ours was about 8 months and she decided that she had to poop three times within a few hours instead of just peeing...

honovere on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Getting a urine sample from a ten month old is hard work.

Nending was not super onboard with what we were trying to achieve

Did you use those bags that stick to the croth inside the diaper? We had to get a sample when ours was about 8 months and she decided that she had to poop three times within a few hours instead of just peeing...

No, this was a "catch it in a little sterile pot and transfer it to a vial" approach.

I got about 10ml in there in the end which is apparently enough.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Oof, yeah that sounds fun with a 10 month old

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    six weeks until due date

oh god I am so not ready

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    six weeks until due date

oh god I am so not ready

To be fair, you'll never be ready. It's like deciding when to have kids, there's seldom a "right time".

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    six weeks until due date

oh god I am so not ready

All you need is the pregnancy bag and somewhere for the kid to sleep.

As long as the kid is fed, dry (diaper), warm, and safe there is no problem whatsoever letting them cry when you need a break.

When they cry check their diaper, try to feed them, swaddle them, or rock them. They cry because they are hungry, wet, cold, or tired.

Sometimes you'll be able to console them out of crying, sometimes you won't and it's easy to become very angry. When that happens just put them somewhere safe and warm and walk away.

Highly recommend earplugs when they want to scream nonstop. I also got a lot of mileage out of noise cancelling headphones so I could calmly listen to music and be happy / smiley while Ripley screamed in my face.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So, for those of you who have experienced this before ...

What ... Uh ... why? ... Um ... How? Catbug?

Like, the books just make absolutely no sense and I kinda get the feeling I'm missing something entirely.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    /RANT ON

Hey, so, remember last year when Nick had to start doing online school for the last semester? And when I was asking him if he was doing all his homework he told me he was, even though he wasn’t? Yup, shame on me. This year, luckily one week in, I check his homework assignments online and he had been telling me had had done everything. Me thinking since this is him in class, every period, with a teacher, that I didn’t need to hold his hand through everything. We even managed to find a new doctor, in network, on our insurance, and get him his ADHD meds that he kept saying was the crux of his problems. We even got him on his meds a week before school so he’d be adjusted to them. Well, nope. Here we sit on Sunday, with no school Monday but about 5 missing assignments and 1 assignment due tonight at midnight. Every day after school, I try to engage him and ask what he did, if he had homework, etc. Everyday he said fine, a bit of homework that he sits down and finishes before going off to his room to play computer games. So, Thursday? I think it was. I go into his grades online and notice this is MISSING and that is MISSING. I talk with him, and he gets working and now those are marked as LATE. Great! I ask why he never looks at this stuff to make sure he was doing it right? I dunno. Now after making up those few MISSING assignments, we now have a few more that are MISSING including one that’s sorta large point wise, 150 points, when everything else had been 10 or 50. So again, I talk with him. He basically did nothing on it Friday, and this is where it gets funny to me. His mom steps in yesterday and asks how much of his homework is done? He says half. I think to myself, yeah half of the one 150 assignment but still has 4 more to go. She think he’s half way done with the list. So anywho, I sit down today and am like look, you got these to do, and he says I wrote a wrong one down for him. I said,no, that one was a grade of 30/50 and you need to redo and improve that grade. He says I don’t even know what the grade is. *sigh* 30 out of 50 is like 25/50 is 50% right? So you’re probably between 60/70% and it’s bringing your grade down. But I got an 80 in the class! Yeah you were at 86, now you’re at 80, and when you turn the next thing in late and only get partial credit, your grade is going to keep creeping down. Stunned look from him. So since he was working on something I hadn’t written down I wen to investigate what he was working on. Yup, I missed one due Today the 6th at midnight. Worth? 100pts. So I told him, from now on, I guess I will have to sit with him right after school, and make sure he gets his work done. God I hate Covid.

P.s. Yes I get grumpy when my wife is basically hands off on this, only tells me I’m being to hard, then pokes her nose in once and while and says “I’ll sit with him and see what I can do to help”, but never follows through.

/RANT OFF

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    that sounds dreadful, do you want people to give you their advice/personal anecdotes?

Aldo on
  • Options
    Aldo wrote: »
    that sounds dreadful, do you want people to give you their advice/personal anecdotes?

To be honest, I really don’t know. He’s always been difficult with school work. I sometimes wonder if there is more than ADHD going that is causing his problems with school but not really sure how to approach his doctor with that. It just gets very old having to sit at the table and prompt him to do stuff. And while he’s doing, make sure he’s not just staring off into space. I did go through all the assignments and write down the ones he needs to finish. But I feel that somehow I need to do more with him. And trying to get anything out of him is like pulling teeth.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've been chilling with my nephew a good amount of the day so far, lots of video games and YouTube stuffs. We're talking about old people getting "shorter" as they age, and after declaring his dad is the tallest person in the family and that he hopes to get as tall his him, my nephew drops this shit on me:

"When I become a grown up and get married will I have to kiss a girl?"

• Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

To be honest, I really don’t know. He’s always been difficult with school work. I sometimes wonder if there is more than ADHD going that is causing his problems with school but not really sure how to approach his doctor with that. It just gets very old having to sit at the table and prompt him to do stuff. And while he’s doing, make sure he’s not just staring off into space. I did go through all the assignments and write down the ones he needs to finish. But I feel that somehow I need to do more with him. And trying to get anything out of him is like pulling teeth.

What age is he, again? I know American children get a lot of homework, but is he old enough to discuss what he wants to do after high school and what he needs to do in school to get there? It seems like a big motivation issue and it sounds unfair that you would have to help him with homework like that. Especially if he just doesn't care about it. And yeah, your partner isn't helping, which sucks. :(

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Honestly, keep an eye open for depression symptoms, it's hard to give a crap about homework when you're convinced you're not going to be alive long enough for failing school to matter.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    What I wouldn't have given to be able to have seen my oldest son's homework online when he was in high school. It's nearly impossible to get nyc school teachers to change how they do things, and they never ever communicated anything to us until we got report cards. And many times it was bad, and too late to fix.
    I'm hoping this at least kick starts things so when my youngest start, I can at least see if they aren't doing their work.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    He turns 16 in November. He wants to be a mechanic.

Thanks for listening

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    He turns 16 in November. He wants to be a mechanic.

Thanks for listening

First, I am sorry you have to do this almost entirely on your own. It isn't fair for you to have to work on this without the support of your partner.

Second, is it possible your son is old enough to have the conversation about how sometimes you've gotta do something you're not thrilled about just to get by? I think it's clear from what you've said he doesn't have a lot of interest in academics, which, okay, but you might be able to explain to him how not attempting anything is going to have greater consequences later on. You're not asking him to be a straight A student, but at least complete the assignments if for nothing else than to be able to show he can commit to something.

Is sixteen too young to learn that a not insignificant part of life is doing shit you don't really want to in order to enable you to do the things you want?

Third, given COVID this may be unlikely, but could you trade mechanics classes for whatever he's assigned now? Either drop the stuff he has no interest in for stuff he is or reward him by enrolling him in community college mechanical stuff in exchange for him completing his academic responsibility?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Honestly, keep an eye open for depression symptoms, it's hard to give a crap about homework when you're convinced you're not going to be alive long enough for failing school to matter.

I don't know if this is the right answer, but I definitely suffered from both of these issues in school. I can't say whether or not they were related, especially not 10+ years down then line, but holy shit did my parents and I have some struggles with this. I remember sitting at the dining room table, my parents demanding that I write a stupid paper, and just not having/feeling like I could summon any interest in anything.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    That boy won’t be denied! And OMG with the egg! Ahaha haha haha good stuff

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I have it in my head that grandma there didn't believe mom that the kid was a nightmare to bake with. And this was mom going "sure, I'm the failure here. If you're so amazing, you do it."

Ellie gets a small bowl with her own butter and sugar in it, maybe a teaspoon each, while we're baking.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    :lol:

Holy crap, that kid. My kid won't even eat all the ingredients when put together, let alone scrambling to get them out of the bowl. Hell, the mixer would have spooked him.

He touched pizza all of once, and then immediately looked at his now slightly greasy fingers like he had just touched a rotting rat corpse, and proceeded to wipe his hands on anything cloth he could find. For the next 5 minutes.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Ripley is in the "I don't want to touch anything dirty or sticky and also cannot completely use utensils."

She'll wash her hands like three times a meal sometimes.

Trying not to make a huge deal out of it while stressing it's okay to get messy.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    That kid would get banned from my baking session asap, come back when you can take it a little more seriously.

• Options
    He looks quite serious about it, I'd say.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    What are some good board games or card games that we can play with a 5 year old and an 8 year old and take about 30 minutes?

• Options
    What are some good board games or card games that we can play with a 5 year old and an 8 year old and take about 30 minutes?

30 mins is heavy with a 5 year old. I enjoy Carcassonne Junior and Catan Junior with my 4 year old, they have great visuals, but are probably too easy for an 8 year old. Ticket to Ride is cool, maybe your 5 year old could play with you and the older kid if you agree on helping them with counting their colors.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

I actually had some really good luck playing Forbidden Island with my 5 year old. The theme is appropriate, there's good, chunky pieces to manipulate, and because it's a co-op game you can helpfully 'suggest' moves, while leaving board manipulation up to them which they really enjoy. Took about 30-40 minutes to play through, and she was engaged the whole time.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I should have said "not much longer than 30 mins", thanks for the ideas.

Prolegomena on
  • Options
    Entriech wrote: »

I actually had some really good luck playing Forbidden Island with my 5 year old. The theme is appropriate, there's good, chunky pieces to manipulate, and because it's a co-op game you can helpfully 'suggest' moves, while leaving board manipulation up to them which they really enjoy. Took about 30-40 minutes to play through, and she was engaged the whole time.

I forgot! Yeah we've played that a few times as well! But the tactical considerations were too complex for my then-3-year-old, so he mostly just enjoyed moving the pieces around and listening to me come up with weird-ass descriptions of our travels over the island.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

30 mins is heavy with a 5 year old. I enjoy Carcassonne Junior and Catan Junior with my 4 year old, they have great visuals, but are probably too easy for an 8 year old. Ticket to Ride is cool, maybe your 5 year old could play with you and the older kid if you agree on helping them with counting their colors.

Ticket to Ride junior works well with a four year old. I think an interested five year old would manage the full version with some help

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

SOS Dino is not a great game, but it's one that my kids both enjoy and they were 5 and 8 when I picked it up. It's a bit too easy for adults, but good for helping kids learn some planning and decisionmaking skills for board gaming.

Sushi Go or Go Nuts for Donuts can work, but a 5 year old will probably need help with reading some of the cards and understanding how they'll work for scoring later. My daughter (turned 6 in July) still loves them though. Especially Go Nuts for Donuts since the theme is more appealing for her.

My son (9) loves King of Tokyo - it's his favorite board game. Still a little too complex for my daughter, but she loves to partner up with mom or dad and handle all the dice rolling.

Click Clack Lumberjack is a solid choice too, if a little tedious to clean and setup occasionally.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Kingdomino is a pretty fun tile placer (think a cross between Carcassonne and dominoes). I haven't played with any kids before but the rules are pretty easy to grasp.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    657hyfent48k.jpeg

It’s all true!

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That kid would get banned from my baking session asap, come back when you can take it a little more seriously.

I mean, he’s probably never been able to bake before, and everyone is clearly having fun, so personally unless I actually needed cookies for a specific reason, I’d just have fun.

I would look at maybe sushi go (could be maybe a bit young but it is very simple) or dungeon mayhem would probably be in their wheelhouse. They are both “single decision” games. Where each turn they only have to do one thing.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Did a surprise check on Little Man's completed assignments, expecting some sort of shadiness somewhere after last year's nonsense and... nothing! Everything turned in and on-time, on top of all his meetings...so far so good!

Middle Guy...well, just like yesterday and the day before, he did great and finished every single bit of the work/work in about an hour, and now all he's got left is the *fun* stuff, like drawing pictures of how he helps his family, and cutting out his name and decorating it with homemade confetti. And if yesterday is any indication, those two projects will take the next six hours of *all* of our lives

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    My son keeps calling marshmallows "mushrooms". He's now telling me marshmallows are made of mushrooms with all the earnestness a 4 year old can muster.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    The Boy's Greatest Hits, September 2020 edition:

- Tiny Wonder now runs around *intentionally* trying to get people to bump into him or offend him, so he can angrily shove or punch back, and respond (in two and a half year old-ese) "*Hey*, what's the *big idea*?" (picture Dustin Hoffman going, *bangs car* "I'm wocking here!")

- Middle Guy and (Middle Guy's)-robot roll into the kitchen during a discussion Tiny Wonder and I were having, as Middle Guy *aggressively* hums the theme from Jaws. Tiny Wonder and I bail-out, understandably, as Middle Guy tries to calmly reassure us, "Don't worry, (Tiny Wonder) and (mrpaku), it won't kill *all* of you!

- Little Man giggles uncontrollably and hides his face now when anything PDA happens in *any* kind of media. People crushing on each other obviously....romantic hugs and kisses.... *always* a loud and overcompensating (nervous- giggle) *oh no*, followed by comments and fidgets only a nine year old just discovering what "tension" means can really make -(A *talk* is incoming. And waaaaay sooner than I had hoped I'd have to have to have it, too)

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Two years to go from this:
    xoiwm3iib2sq.jpeg

To this:

uhgv133r4aag.jpg

Time flies when your constantly chasing after, cleaning up after and generally fighting with a kid!

SharpyVII on