As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    So, that Tales from the Shadow story was really sweet.
    I liked the reference to the pixie quests, too.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Enlong wrote: »
    So, that Tales from the Shadow story was really sweet.
    I liked the reference to the pixie quests, too.

All of the various Tales are well written. The compilation is worth getting as well, as there's a set of stories exclusive to the book.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    turtleant wrote: »
    there's a checkpoint every ten floors?

past floor 100? I thought 100 to 200 was a straight shot.

it still checkpoints and you can still leave and come back between sets of floors

however, you can't have a party wipe, or you'll have to start over

that's probably what you're thinking of

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    turtleant wrote: »
    there's a checkpoint every ten floors?

past floor 100? I thought 100 to 200 was a straight shot.

it still checkpoints and you can still leave and come back between sets of floors

however, you can't have a party wipe, or you'll have to start over

that's probably what you're thinking of

Ah ok.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    been crushing job2, gonna be caught up to MSQ soon so will have to start job3

what to play what to play

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    So I started the free trial and this xp bonus is insane. I can't keep in level appropriate gear because doing the quests that give me the gear level me up so fast. Better than running out of stuff to do and having to grind but it is very funny.

Anyways I just got appointed special envoy and given an airship pass so I guess I need to finish up the lancer quests and get out of this forest.

Lalafell
    zucchini wrote: »

Black Maaage

Roegadyn
    So I started the free trial and this xp bonus is insane. I can't keep in level appropriate gear because doing the quests that give me the gear level me up so fast. Better than running out of stuff to do and having to grind but it is very funny.

Anyways I just got appointed special envoy and given an airship pass so I guess I need to finish up the lancer quests and get out of this forest.

tbh it's still a good idea to stay ahead of things, and do any side content that catches your eye, especially optional dungeons, hunting log, grand company etc

there's an infamous bit near the end of the 2.0 msq where the level requirement suddenly jumps from 46 to 49, and for whatever reason the revamp left it intact

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra

tbh it's still a good idea to stay ahead of things, and do any side content that catches your eye, especially optional dungeons, hunting log, grand company etc

there's an infamous bit near the end of the 2.0 msq where the level requirement suddenly jumps from 46 to 49, and for whatever reason the revamp left it intact

That's what burned me out at launch, when the level up strategy was "grind FATEs in N. Thanalan"

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Capped Dancer last night. Only Ninja (currently 71) left and I'll have all DPS jobs at the cap.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te

The 46-49 gap is still an issue even post-revamp XP increase, but Kayne Red Robe seems to be on a preferred world so they'll probably be halfway to 60 by the time they hit Castrum.

Lalafell
    The percussion in the dwarf tribe quests reminds me of this song:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WiLPhj1TlEg

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Cactuar
    Finally found someone who was in GHOST so my app is submitted

• AdusAdus Registered User regular
    holy shit, it was "diddy's kong quest" and not "diddy kong's quest" this entire fuckin time?

Lalafell
    Yep!

Roegadyn
    it's a conquest pun

X22wmuF.jpg
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    i mean i get it now

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Cactuar
    As I approach max level with Astro I'm wondering what magic DPS class to do, Black or Red mage?

Lalafell
    Enlong wrote: »
    zucchini wrote: »

Black Maaage

Roegadyn
    Bucketman wrote: »
    As I approach max level with Astro I'm wondering what magic DPS class to do, Black or Red mage?

Have you heard the good news about Bahamut?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Come play Summoner, we've got a bird and it's on fire

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    One additional option on the table.
    iIIEV04.jpg

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Thirding summoner here.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Bucketman wrote: »

Red is by far the simplest caster. Black mages hit like trucks, but so do Summoners, and Summoners can rez people.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    If you want to cast very slow spells that do a ton of damage, Black Mage. If you want to cast a lot of spells while moving that do much less damage and occasionally summon Bahamut, Summoner. If you want to have a rapier and sometimes cast spells and sometimes stab people, Red Mage.

Roegadyn
    The biggest difference between the casters is mobility.

Black Mage wants to move as little as possible. They have several abilities that allow them to cast on the move for a short time (triple cast, xenoglossy, firestarter and thunderstorm procs) and two different conditional teleports, but at the end of the day they want to plant their feat and keep casting as much as possible.

Red Mage is in the middle. Dual cast means every other spell they cast is instant, and they baseline have a shorter cast time for their spells that you are supposed to hardcast. Their melee finisher combo and the spells on the end of it are also instant. They also have a gap closer and a back step. They have a filler instant cast spell at near max level, but it eats some of your mana so it's kind of a last resort.

Summoner, somewhat unexpectedly, is the most mobile caster. While they have no special movement abilities, almost everything they do is instant cast. Their only spells with a cast time are one of their DOTs (that you will only need to hard cast about once every 2 minutes) and their filler damage spell ruin 1/3. And even those are instant cast for a significant part of your rotation. You will almost never have to cut into your DPS because of movement on SMN.

It's also worth mentioning that SMN has a rez spell, and RDM has both an actually useful heal and rez that they can instant cast with dual cast. BLM is one of the 3 "selfish" DPS (along with SAM and MCH) and dont bring any utility as a trade off for higher personal DPS (in theory).

X22wmuF.jpg
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    blm is the hardest dps in the game to play properly

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    And then there's Blue Mage, which is a limited job and can't participate in the MSQ or Duty Finder so is somewhat irrelevant. One day, though!!!

It's got a bit of a different rotation - nearly everything is on GCD with slightly faster casts than cooldowns (with two notable DPS spells being faster but either lower potency or melee range), and their base potency of 220 (for reference, the White Mage's Stone III is 240 potency). Instead, everything revolves around a 30s DoT, various 30s-60s cooldown oGCD Primal spells, and every two minutes using Moon Flute to get +50% damage on the DoT and all your primal spells for 15s and then going into hibernation for 15s.

One notable weird bit with Blue Mage is that almost all of their spells are AoE doing full damage to one target (the closest in a cone, the target for Electrogenesis, I dunno how circle AoEs work). You're still doing ST-equivalent damage to the main target, it just gets tricky if you run into something like Garuda EX and don't want to kill a specific add.

They also don't have a Limit Break, so instead people just buff the hell out of Final Sting and Self-Destruct to suicide attack the boss for crazy amounts of damage. It ends up being close to a melee LB2, IIRC, and you get eight of them.

Also, of course, they've got instant death spells.
    Level 5 Death is like an 80% chance to kill anything with a level divisible by 5 on a 180s cooldown in a tiny 6y AoE,
    Tail Screw has a low chance of success but sets HP to 1%,
    Doom gives a 15s debuff that kills the target when it wears off,
    Missile does 50% of current HP if it succeeds,
    and Launcher is an AoE that does 10-50% of current HP to everyone in a 15y radius.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Here's my pitch for playing BLM:

Numbers BIG

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    The best thing about Summoner is the sound effect that Deathflare/Akh Morn make whenever you cast them.

Love me my orbital death lasers.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Black Mage is by far the most satisfying if you just want to watch the world burn.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Black Mage has the highest of highs when you get all your procs just right on a big pack and send it screaming to hell, and the lowest lows when you drop your dps buff and sit there plinking things with fire 1 while waiting on cool downs.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Hyur
    Had a dream that the next big Ascian threat was revealed. The guy who reveals himself to be Zodiark's #1 disciple, the absentee manager who's been letting the others run rampant while he was away, but now he's back and it's time to lay down the law!

- His name was Mr. Scrambles

- He appeared to be 2 dimensional, made out of construction paper, blue and sort of cucumber shaped, giving him an art style evocative of both South Park and Veggietales at the same time.

- His schtick was to do something clumsy seeming that turned out to have actually been EVIL.

- He was definitely being voiced by cartoon legend Bill Fagerbakke a.k.a. Patrick Star from Spongebob, but with an exaggerated southern gentleman's accent.

- His catchphrase was "Well now (sir/madame), I humbly ask that you excuzle my confuzle!", or just "excuzle my confuzle" if he was in a hurry. But said in an extremely passive-aggressive way like he wanted to imply it was your fault that he tripped and spilled his coffee in your lap. The more of a dick he was being, the more he'd drag out the 'u'. "Excuuuuuzle my confuuuuuzle!"

- His strategy to counter the player character? Blindside them while moving through a crowd, body checking them off of their feet, making all their Crystals of Light scatter all over. Then a bunch of blobby looking booger demons burrowed up out of the ground and started licking the shit out of the crystals, and he was like "Oh, surely you don't want these filthy things back, they're coated in demon spit! Let me just scoop 'em right up and take 'em to the Dry Cleaner for you, it won't be a problem at all!"

- Somehow that fucking worked, and I got a Game Over screen.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    Lalafell
    magic dps has the meme market cornered

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    Dragoons have the backflipping off boss platforms and being animation locked in AOEs by jumps
    Ninjas have *sound of a rack of pots and pans falling off the wall*
    Samurai have weeaboo jokes

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited September 2020
    Lalafell
    rdm res jokes
    blm mobility/numbers jokes
    blu jokes *waves hand at entire class*

zucchini on
    Roegadyn
    dark knight has edgy jokes
    astrologian at least had yugioh jokes back when the cards mattered
    scholar is green dps, the fairy is healer
    warrior was blue dps, I think gunbreaker stole that one

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Machinist is call of duty

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Miqo'te
    You are all fuel for the blood Lilly!

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
This discussion has been closed.