As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Squad sub leaders!

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Why do I always want to try making one of the various ranged weapons work, and fail so badly every time?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    New stuff sounds neat, not sure it's enough to bring me back. Not to mention I don't like the thought of all the grinding I'd need to do to get caught up gear wise. I never even really finished any sets with the game before dropping off and was able to do a single weapon augmentation and a single armor level cap unlock.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    New stuff sounds neat, not sure it's enough to bring me back. Not to mention I don't like the thought of all the grinding I'd need to do to get caught up gear wise. I never even really finished any sets with the game before dropping off and was able to do a single weapon augmentation and a single armor level cap unlock.

Yeah, I was in the same boat. It wasn't until they put the Nergi quest that gave you 2-5 stones per run that I finally got all that stuff that I wanted.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Me picking lance because it's got good shield to just mess around with: e_e
    Me learning how to properly move and get pretty consistent deeps: o_o
    Me charging full on the first time, leaping and getting the mount: 0_o
    Me hitting the counter: 0_0
    Me hitting the claw counter: @_@

This weapon is the shit.

jungleroomx on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C3RhtMQnto

today I learned: MT Framework has serious issues with slope/dynamic terrain and certain monster skeletons, and that's why we didn't get leviathans in World

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    I also think that a big big factor is that they're witholding stuff for the eventual MHW2 game.

Satsumomo wrote: »
    I also think that a big big factor is that they're witholding stuff for the eventual MHW2 game.

Well, they've said World is the last Capcom MT Frameworks engine game. So an eventual MH6 or World 2 will be in Unreal or RE Engine or something instead.

Naphtali wrote: »

Well, they've said World is the last Capcom MT Frameworks engine game. So an eventual MH6 or World 2 will be in Unreal or RE Engine or something instead.

I saw a rumor that they were working on a RE Engine Switch game.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

We'll see at TGS I guess.

I didn't know this! Where can I find it?

I can't find the exact quote, but the reasoning was the RE Engine will be mature by the time MH6 development will start (MHW used MT Frameworks because it had already been proved out for PS4/Xbox/PC at the time), and Frameworks is basically at its end of life at this point. I think it was one of the shareholding meetings.

I can't find the exact quote, but the reasoning was the RE Engine will be mature by the time MH6 development will start (MHW used MT Frameworks because it had already been proved out for PS4/Xbox/PC at the time), and Frameworks is basically at its end of life at this point. I think it was one of the shareholding meetings.

Does that mean a slower dev cycle while they convert all the assets into a new system? I mean, presumably they started that a while ago, just wondering how long they've been using the MT Frameworks engine.

Hard to say; I know they still had a lot of work to do to get everything working in World vs the more recent old gen games; even though both are ostensibly in MT Frameworks there's still a lot of degrees of difference between World and them.

Hopefully whatever they did they were looking at ways of porting them.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The whole "Games as a service" thing gets a well deserved bad rap. But there are a handful of games out there that I would not have an issue with being a service, and this would be one of them. Port World to next gen systems, let you import your character, and just keep on updating.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    The whole "Games as a service" thing gets a well deserved bad rap. But there are a handful of games out there that I would not have an issue with being a service, and this would be one of them. Port World to next gen systems, let you import your character, and just keep on updating.

Eh, I feel like a hard wipe is important to keeping everything balanced without going to AT Deviant Apex monsters.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Yeah, new monster Hunter gens let them do a lot interns of creating new monsters and not having to shove them at the highest tiers.

And just plain introducing new mechanics. I hope whatevers next that they build on the good of world. The Deco system has issues (oh so many) but it's still a big step up in understandability, flexibility and sanity over the old charm system.

Plus all the goodness they did with weapons - though I'd love to see an extra weapon or two at this point. Gimme a hunting spear!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Steam has an update posting thing about the upcoming title update for Iceborne, Fatalis is gonna be gated behind Alatreon, which means I'm gonna have to sit down and get through that fight at some point.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I just got a Miniature Gold Crown and a Large Gold Crown Coral Pukei Pukei back to back... Something like that has never happened before.

Sirialis on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    got a crit/vit from tempered furious rajang

thanks im never doing it again

Elendil on
  • jalokjalok Registered User regular
    Alatreon can kiss my grits.

• UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    I like the Alatreon fight. Its not perfect but once you get familiar with the mechanics of the fight, it gets way easier

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    basarios and gravios are straight up trash-tier monster design

that is all

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

that is all

Absolutely. Uragaan is a way better rock monster fight.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »

that is all

Absolutely. Uragaan is a way better rock monster fight.

lets give this monster 3 different aoe fart abilities that you literally cannot get away from it fast enough before the attack

brilliant

• jalokjalok Registered User regular
    Alatreon down! Now I can move on with life, huzzah...wait...I still need a tail piece to upgrade my weapon???.........poop :(

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I'm on vanilla Monster Hunter World and gotten to the point where Hunter Rank is completely unhindered. Getting stones for augmenting equipment seems incredibly difficult. Is this all that's left until Iceborne?

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    I'm on vanilla Monster Hunter World and gotten to the point where Hunter Rank is completely unhindered. Getting stones for augmenting equipment seems incredibly difficult. Is this all that's left until Iceborne?

Yes, they signfianctly imrpoved and reworked the agument system for iceborne. so if you can goto iceborne you should do that because the stones have zero point now.

so far most of the other new monsters I've hit in MHGU have been good

zamtrios should have been in world, what a character
    agnaktor is basically lavasioth but not shitty
    seltas queen fucking mecha shivas with other seltases during your fight, so fucking amazing. I want bugs/crabs in the next game for sure
    and the fated four are all good generally of course

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

And yet GU also has Lavasioth. :p

(Because Agnak wasn't in Gen.)

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Plesioth and Lavasioth are garbo (though Lavasioth GU is still better than world's only due to not having the hardening mechanic).

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Plesioth and Lavasioth are garbo (though Lavasioth GU is still better than world's only due to not having the hardening mechanic).

My first MH was 3U, which spoiled me for Plesioth by letting me dive in after the jerk and slice up its stupid chicken face. 4U was a rough transition.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm really hoping the next big Monster Hunter game they announce will follow along with World's lead in terms of art style and gameplay.

My first MH was 3U, which spoiled me for Plesioth by letting me dive in after the jerk and slice up its stupid chicken face. 4U was a rough transition.

3U was my first MH game as well and there's just something about the Royal Ludroth design I love, but yeah I wish they could find a way to make underwater viable and fun.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    Monster Hunter rise and monster Hunter stories 2 coming to switch

edited September 2020
    Monster Hunter Rise! New mainline game for the Switch and it looks amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXr9Omyy7cE

Satsumomo on
    edited September 2020
    Big things so far are the palamute, and the new grapple anywhere system.

One of the maps looks very like a redone version of Japanese woods map. Looks like there's a new punching bag to - scythe tailed jaggi species

Honestly all I care about is if great sword tackle is still in

The Zombie Penguin on
    Watching the Direct right now, it's definitely running on a scaled-down World engine.

• AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Monster Hunter Rise! New mainline game for the Switch and it looks amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXr9Omyy7cE

Digging that art direction and the new mobility with the grapple.

Watching the Direct right now, it's definitely running on a scaled-down World engine.

world and GU (+ other old schoo games) were all MT Frameworks, so I'd agree in general there. The Switch has more horsepower than 3DS so they can certainly try to get closer to stuff World had like seamless maps what whatnot.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular

One of the maps looks very like a redone version of Japanese woods map. Looks like there's a new punching bag to - scythe tailed jaggi species

I saw the bow dash and start up a dragon piercer, so at least some of the MHW new moves are in.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

I saw the bow dash and start up a dragon piercer, so at least some of the MHW new moves are in.

Not surprising. Looks like some new moves as well based on that grapple line. I don't expect the clutch claw to ever come back as it is in Iceborne, tbh.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy