As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

1/7/200EIGHT Update!

• Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited January 2008
    PA and HH would love nothing more than for Swedes across the globe to play this game, however, it may be up to MS on whether or not it needs additional localization. When you pop up XBLA right now, are the games localized into Swedish? I know English is a compulsory school subject over there...

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • ChokeholdChokehold Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Listen, I'm going to be honest with you.
    I have no idea about XBLA, since well, I don't own a 360 machine.
    But I'll be damned if I don't buy one, should this episode release on the 360 solely.
    So I pretty much have no idea, but I suppose they don't?

I mean.. The Swedish language in itself just contains high levels of suck, I'm just interested in whether or not I'll have to import it. :)
    Sorry about the confusement.

Chokehold on
  • ThePinballWizardThePinballWizard Registered User new member
    edited January 2008
    Ok, then, its stupid question time. There is probably a very easy and fundamental reason why this wont work, but my knowleldge of computers in general and Linux in particular is so abysmal it's borderline criminal. Seriously. The Geek Police is out in force looking for me right now.

So here it is:

There will be a Linux version of this game.

Linux can be installed on the PS3.

What's to stop me (or any Linux-equppied PS3 owner) from playing the Linux version on my PS3? Hothead wouldn’t even need to work on PS3 version then.

ThePinballWizard on
  • HitScanHitScan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ok, then, its stupid question time. There is probably a very easy and fundamental reason why this wont work, but my knowleldge of computers in general and Linux in particular is so abysmal it's borderline criminal. Seriously. The Geek Police is out in force looking for me right now.

So here it is:

What's to stop me (or any Linux-equppied PS3 owner) from playing the Linux version on my PS3? Hothead wouldn’t even need to work on PS3 version then.
    Because the PS3 isn't an x86 based PC. They're not going to have a half dozen binaries for various niche processor types. If there's a way to run x86 binaries on PPC Linux you could do it in theory, but the performance would be so abysmal that you'd probably not get past the character creator without just throwing your hands up in disgust.

(The Cell processor is alright for multiple single threads, but it sucks for pretending to be a much more general purpose processor like an x86.)

HitScan on
    Unstable like the isotope that resolves the fate of the theoretical cat in the hypothetical crate.
    Yo momma so fat she got triabetes
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pfft, just open source the game, let em compile it themselves :)

Maybe not....

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2008
    wha

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    In reference to the post above mine. Don't give binaries, give source. Which would be a very efficient way to throw away all those development dollars.

Though sometime in the future after the games have been milked for a while, that would rock hardcore...

EDIT: Actually, I have faith that a lot of people would buy this game even if the source was freely available. Many of us are just that awesome. Many of the rest of us are that lazy. ;)

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • ThePinballWizardThePinballWizard Registered User new member
    edited January 2008
    HitScan wrote: »

So here it is:

Because the PS3 isn't an x86 based PC. They're not going to have a half dozen binaries for various niche processor types. If there's a way to run x86 binaries on PPC Linux you could do it in theory, but the performance would be so abysmal that you'd probably not get past the character creator without just throwing your hands up in disgust.

(The Cell processor is alright for multiple single threads, but it sucks for pretending to be a much more general purpose processor like an x86.)

See, I knew there was a reason. Guess I'm SOL with my POS six year old PC (I'm fairly sure a GeForce4 MX graphics card isnt going to cut it) and my flat out refusal to buy a 360 until the RRoD thing is finally eliminated.

Enjoy the game, Everyone Else!

ThePinballWizard on
  • SoupsSoups Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

So here it is:

I ain't touchin' Linux. Sorry. Even if it would have worked, HotHead would still have to make my game for me. On my system. Sorry, HH.

Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • strike_the_tripstrike_the_trip Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

See, I knew there was a reason. Guess I'm SOL with my POS six year old PC (I'm fairly sure a GeForce4 MX graphics card isnt going to cut it) and my flat out refusal to buy a 360 until the RRoD thing is finally eliminated.

Enjoy the game, Everyone Else!

Don't worry dude! It's RSPD, not Crysis. From what the guys at HH and PA have been saying, the goal has been to have the game run on some pretty low-end machines. We should expect to see some minimum system reqs that are easily achievable by a wide audience of computer owners.

That got me thinking.... Can anyone from project comment on the system reqs for RSPD?

strike_the_trip on
  • Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is there a snowball's chance in my pants of a pre-release demo or similar?

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Will the release dates be the same worldwide?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited January 2008
    Since we're doing the distribution digitally, you'll be able to download the game to your machine no matter where you are from. As far as a demo goes... there will definitely be the XBLA trial version.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Great, thanks - I've never used Steam or the like, so I was unsure whether the games still needed to be held in a warehouse for three months while developers use them for ski slopes, or whatever the reason is that Europe gets games later than the US.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm going to create my own physical product out of another game case, call it a collectors edition, and impress my friends.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm going to create my own physical product out of another game case, call it a collectors edition, and impress my friends.

I think your cover may be found on this page:
    http://www.rainslick.com/downloads

NotASenator on
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »

I think your cover may be found on this page:
    http://www.rainslick.com/downloads

Yep totally

Now... how to turn this Spartan helmet into a Fruit Fucker head....

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Considering their line of work creating promotional material for other people's games, do you think there's a chance we might be able to get some kind of promotional comic-book (even a digital version) to go along with release? It would be pretty cool if, after beating the game let's say, you were given a link to a web page that displayed a prologue comic that highlighted your adventure with your custom character being featured.

Just something I was thinking about. Something about 4-6 pages would be incredible. I wouldn't mind getting that printed and bound (I can do that on my own time).

TankHammer on
    edited January 2008
    ho ho ho....

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Considering their line of work creating promotional material for other people's games, do you think there's a chance we might be able to get some kind of promotional comic-book (even a digital version) to go along with release? It would be pretty cool if, after beating the game let's say, you were given a link to a web page that displayed a prologue comic that highlighted your adventure with your custom character being featured.

Just something I was thinking about. Something about 4-6 pages would be incredible. I wouldn't mind getting that printed and bound (I can do that on my own time).

I recall a news post saying they were going to post comics related to the game in the days leading up to its release

Ohtsam on
    edited February 2008
    Awesome.

Excellent.

Eagerly chomping at the bit here.

TankHammer on
  • RowdyTheDogRowdyTheDog Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, considering it was promised before last christmas at PAX07, I forgive the time it takes to make it mega awesome...but don't you dare go the ways of Super Smash Bros brawl... :P

RowdyTheDog on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It was?

Xaquin on
    edited February 2008
    Yes yes.. we are ... (get ready for our 100% true but still kind of makes me weird saying PR stuff like this) guilty of making sure the experience is awesome as opposed to rushing a product to market.

yuck.

But it's true! I promise! It wasn't ready in December! Now we think it is rad.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
    edited February 2008
    Rad is... well, rad! Take your time, please!

On that note, are there any new details you can share (even if they are only sparse morsels of knowledge that would only temporarily stave off our rabid hunger for RSPD)?

strike_the_trip on
    edited February 2008
    Will this be advertised in magazines, on the TV, and on various sites? Or is PA and the internet's denizens spreading the word (officially or otherwise) considered publicity enough?

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If I were a smart businessman like Khoo, I'd only pay for minimal PR related to this game for a couple reasons.

1. You don't want to oversaturate yourself in the market. People aren't big on giant hype campaigns.
    2. This game already gets plenty of free press from both the Penny Arcade website and several major gaming websites.
    3. Penny Arcade is always about the fans and I think they'll let their vast army of fans do the promoting for the game, which you know they'll do.

But hey, that's just me and I'm sure Khoo has a much better plan because he's a smart businessman.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
    edited February 2008
    You know, Phanman - you're actually pretty spot on as far as how our original strategy went. We know the game is going to appeal directly to our readers, so marketing elsewhere wasn't a big concern, but then we realized some (and I don't think i've giving anything away here) very big games might be sandwiching our release date. Since PA readers generally visit once every two weeks or so, we thought "hey, let's make sure we don't screw this up and make sure they're just aware that the game is coming out now."

So, that said, you may see ads on some other sites, but no, we're definitely not targeting print, radio or TV. Talk about a waste of money. ;)

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
    edited February 2008
    That's why I said you're the smart businessman, but you do have the advantage of knowing the release date.

Glad to see you're not wasting money though :P

Phanman on
    edited February 2008
    You know, Phanman - you're actually pretty spot on as far as how our original strategy went. We know the game is going to appeal directly to our readers, so marketing elsewhere wasn't a big concern, but then we realized some (and I don't think i've giving anything away here) very big games might be sandwiching our release date. Since PA readers generally visit once every two weeks or so, we thought "hey, let's make sure we don't screw this up and make sure they're just aware that the game is coming out now."

So, that said, you may see ads on some other sites, but no, we're definitely not targeting print, radio or TV. Talk about a waste of money. ;)

I know you guys are keeping your eyes on Go Pets: Vacation Island for the DS.

NotASenator on
    edited February 2008
    The crossover demographic is... terrifying.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
    edited February 2008
    ...we realized some (and I don't think i've giving anything away here) very big games might be sandwiching our release date.

Would those games be The Force Unleashed and GTA IV?

Am I close? :D

strike_the_trip on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ...we realized some (and I don't think i've giving anything away here) very big games might be sandwiching our release date.

More like 'My Petz: Horsez 3" and "Carnival Games 3"!

I kid cause I love

Xaquin on
    edited February 2008

That was my guess, either that or Smash Bros. Brawl and Force Unleashed. I like that guess better because it means I get to play PA sooner :P

However pay close attention to Khoo's use of the word might. I think that's PR for we haven't set a firm release date yet, just hoping for one.

Phanman on
    edited February 2008
    Personally I would have enjoyed seeing at least one TV spot about the game, but if it's not economically feasible it's not economically feasible.

I just like seeing my interests legitimized in the face of the general populous. TV commercials do that.

TankHammer on
    edited February 2008
    Would asking "When can we expect to hear an exact release date?" be just as bad as asking for that very release date?

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
    edited February 2008
    Ross Mills wrote: »
    Would asking "When can we expect to hear an exact release date?" be just as bad as asking for that very release date?

So... you want a release date for the release date? :D

strike_the_trip on
    edited February 2008
    Ross Mills wrote: »

So... you want a release date for the release date? :D

Exactamundo!

Or, more precisely, a date when I can begin to funnel my excitement into a tightly-honed University budget!

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
    edited February 2008
    So I see.... :D
    Kotaku wrote:
    Penny Arcade's debut game - On The Rain-Slick Precipice Of Darkness - is back on show at GDC, and is sporting a new coat of spit and polish. For those wondering when they can get their hands on it and engage in some mutton-chopped fisticuffs, Microsoft have today announced a release window for the game, saying they're expecting it to be available sometime in the Summer.

http://kotaku.com/358980/penny-arcade-game-gets-summer-release

strike_the_trip on
    edited February 2008
    Beat me to it, strike. Well-played

NotASenator on