As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    bakuretsu, bakuretsu, la la la

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Here's my pitch for playing BLM:

Numbers BIG

the numbers are very large

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    What is the single highest potency attack right now though?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    dancer's technical finish, iirc

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Roegadyn
    Polaritie wrote: »

I think Dancer's Technical Step has the highest numbered potency at 1500. That's almost as strong as the level 1 Ranged limit break. Next after that is Samurai Kaeshi: Setsugekka at 1200. Then a whole bunch of stuff in the 600-800 range.

Javen on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    I think samurai might get the biggest single hit if they stack all their shit right? or maybe it's technical step yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
    Roegadyn
    I think samurai might get the biggest single hit if they stack all their shit right? or maybe it's technical step yeah

yeah I'm pretty sure a samurai nailing a double midare will give you the single biggest damage number on screen

Au'ra
    Javen wrote: »

I think Dancer's Technical Step has the highest numbered potency at 1500. That's almost as strong as the level 1 Ranged limit break. Next after that is Samurai Kaeshi: Setsugekka at 1200. Then a whole bunch of stuff in the 600-800 range.

A couple other things hit 1200 potency. Maxed out Wildfire will, for instance.

Roegadyn
    though if you want to get the serotonin rush of just constantly seeing big dick numbers on screen instead of building up to finishers, black mage is your class

Viera
    Hmm no it's probably tech step, since midare is 1080 potency buffed, and I'm not gonna count the tsubame-gaeshi copied hit as part of the same attack. Two button presses, two separate numbers, doesn't count.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I am fairly sure that Ninja's Hyosho Ranryu is the single hardest hitting ability in the game. "Only" 1200 base potency compared to tech steps 1500, but since you literally have to use Kassatsu to even access it, it will always get the 30% potency bonus for a total of 1560 potency before any other raid buffs.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    ph blake wrote: »
    I am fairly sure that Ninja's Hyosho Ranryu is the single hardest hitting ability in the game. "Only" 1200 base potency compared to tech steps 1500, but since you literally have to use Kassatsu to even access it, it will always get the 30% potency bonus for a total of 1560 potency before any other raid buffs.
    Dancer always has their step buff for 5% so they still win.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Au'ra
    Granted, Technical Step takes up 2 GCDs and change or so to execute... of course it's also an AoE, technically (even if the AoE potency is only 375)

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    The other thing is that potency between jobs isn't a 1 for 1 comparison, each job has it's own hidden modifier that gets taken into account for the damage formula. These have mostly been reversed engineered by the community math wizards, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Just glancing through some random speed kill logs and Hyosho is pretty consistently the highest hitting non LB ability, though this is a terrible methodology since NIN is usually going to be a higher priority for single target buffs like AST cards/DRG tether. It does line up with what I remember from when our group was trying to get stupid big numbers by stacking buffs all on one person though. I think the highest we managed was a 240k tech step, and like a 260k Hyosho? I dunno, that was a while ago and we were all kinda buzzed.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    SMN just has PTSD and carpal tunnel jokes

X22wmuF.jpg
    Au'ra
    ph blake wrote: »
    The other thing is that potency between jobs isn't a 1 for 1 comparison, each job has it's own hidden modifier that gets taken into account for the damage formula. These have mostly been reversed engineered by the community math wizards, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Just glancing through some random speed kill logs and Hyosho is pretty consistently the highest hitting non LB ability, though this is a terrible methodology since NIN is usually going to be a higher priority for single target buffs like AST cards/DRG tether. It does line up with what I remember from when our group was trying to get stupid big numbers by stacking buffs all on one person though. I think the highest we managed was a 240k tech step, and like a 260k Hyosho? I dunno, that was a while ago and we were all kinda buzzed.

I do find it amusing though that DNC is the lowest personal DPS of the ranged classes despite having the strongest single hit of them all. (And Standard Finish at 1k isn't exactly weak either).

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Dancer feels like papercut -> papercut -> papercut -> papercut -> papercut -> BIG HIT -> papercut -> papercut -> papercut -> papercut -> papercut -> papercut -> papercut -> papercut -> papercut -> papercut -> papercut -> BIG HIT

That 15y radius on Standard Finish and Technical Finish can catch you by surprise, too. All the rest of your PBAoEs are only 5y. I think those two are bigger than anything else but The Dragon's Voice? There's been many a time when I was fighting something in the overworld and needed that big burst of damage to finish it off, and misjudged how close I was to a ton of other stuff that got aggroed in the process.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    Viera
    yeah dancer only has such a high potency on the dances because they're making up for all the GCDs you spend hitting the dance buttons and not attacking, but still counts for the purposes of this conversation!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Heavensward plot is good but kinda oddly paced, there seems to be a lot of delays and detours in this very urgent quest to stop an imminent and existential threat!

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    Roegadyn
    Heavensward plot is good but kinda oddly paced, there seems to be a lot of delays and detours in this very urgent quest to stop an imminent and existential threat!

Just like a real Final Fantasy game!

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Wait you mean doing all 1000 of the moogle side quests wasn't urgent?

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    After I beat ARR and saved the world or whatever, I delivered so many fucking letters for those lazy moogles.

Mail hat was worth it.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I never did get around to that, and I like that hat. Maybe this patch I'll get around to it.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    edited September 2020
    Viera
    I enjoyed the moogle postmaster quests for the stories, though I'm still mad we don't get to warrior of light our way into that abusive relationship mooncat bandit business and fix it.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Patch 5.31 notes up
    The following adjustments have been made to Eden's Verse (Savage):

Two treasure coffers will now always appear. Furthermore, the weekly restriction on rewards obtained from coffers has been removed.
    The weekly entrance restriction on all areas of Eden's Verse (Savage) has been removed.
    Players may now proceed directly to any area of Eden's Verse (Savage).
    This is way late for most people, but my group is still working on a mistake-free E8S run, so this might be helpful there.

Viera
    looks like mostly the new phase of ishgard restoration and associated new prizes in this patch

BahamutZERO.gif
    Viera
    I have decided that anytime a black mage manages to do movement mechanics without missing any GCDs or dropping enochian they should get this soundtrack
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuFSv2bLa8&t=78

BahamutZERO.gif
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    After I beat ARR and saved the world or whatever, I delivered so many fucking letters for those lazy moogles.

Mail hat was worth it.

Yas, i still wear it as my standard outfit! Hat+Riviera doublet!

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    The new Yo-kai weapons can go in the armoire now, yay!

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Patch 5.31 notes up
    The following adjustments have been made to Eden's Verse (Savage):

Two treasure coffers will now always appear. Furthermore, the weekly restriction on rewards obtained from coffers has been removed.
    The weekly entrance restriction on all areas of Eden's Verse (Savage) has been removed.
    Players may now proceed directly to any area of Eden's Verse (Savage).
    This is way late for most people, but my group is still working on a mistake-free E8S run, so this might be helpful there.

I only started doing savage raiding a few weeks ago (I DID start playing in March). So this is definitely welcome news. Definitely can gear up my NIN for E8S now.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te

The real answer is what everyone else said about Dancer, Ninja, Samurai etc., but if you're including limited jobs then...

Final Sting has base potency 2,000
    Moon Flute increases damage by 50%
    Whistle increases potency by 80%
    Off-Guard increases damage by 5%
    Condensed Libra increases damage by 5%
    Total potency 5,953.5, cf. melee DPS' LB2 having 5250 potency (also you can get direct hits and crits, and in raids you have eight of them)

However, note that BLU is just very strange in general and probably isn't worth discussing in these topics. (Also, they don't have a limit break so this is the closest they get. UWU will probably be literally unbeatable.)

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    I wouldn’t mind if one day they just stopped doing the out-of-order penalty on savage raids going forward. I honestly don’t see the point in making you sacrifice all weekly rewards for tiers 1 and 2 if you attempt tier 3 before them on a given week. If all you want to do at the moment is make progress practicing a particular fight, it’s really annoying that you have to do the previous fights first.

The restriction that you have to beat the previous fights at least once to unlock the next one is fine. But who does it benefit to penalize you if you do the ones you’ve unlocked out of order?

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    So no one aged at all in the five years since the mysterious calamity huh? Not even the little girl who rules Gridania? Weird.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    So no one aged at all in the five years since the mysterious calamity huh? Not even the little girl who rules Gridania? Weird.

The Padjal are like, ageless, even by the elf elezen standards of the rest of Gridania.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Cid looks older than he did in the ARR cinematic, at least.

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te

The Scions also use some kind of anti-aging magic, from what I understand?

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Enlong wrote: »

The Padjal are like, ageless, even by the elf elezen standards of the rest of Gridania.

Ah, it wasn't clear that she was anything other than human (Hyur?). All the non-furred races look too similar to Mi'qote eyes.

Fortunately no one has asked for much input from baby lancer U'suhl so he hasn't embarrassed himself too badly yet. Though he might have a tiny crush on the Admiral now. She's very, big.

• AdusAdus Registered User regular
    i mean, many adults don't change vastly in appearance between 5 years depending on the timeframe. or at least it would be in ways a bit too minor to reflect in the models as they are now. also Kan-E-Senna isn't a little girl apart from just being kind of short.

Roegadyn
    The change in wardrobe is meant to signify maturity I think. The older outfits, especially for thancred and yshtola, are much baggier and more simple

• zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    Fig-D wrote: »
    The new Yo-kai weapons can go in the armoire now, yay!

do they get moved over if you already glamoured them

This discussion has been closed.