As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    The conjurer guildmaster looks like a child but is apparently quite old. There's a bunch of background on the anti aging effect of being a Padjal sprinkled throughout the WHM and CNJ quests.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    I think the biggest issue I have with the calamity between 1.0 and 2.0 is that it didn't really seem that bad relatively speaking.

I mean ya Bahamut fucked everything up, but like all the state powers are more or less intact and everything kinda just kept going on.

I remember when I read through the first lore book where they described the other calamities and it's shit like giant wars that are basically the equivalent to mutual assured destruction nuclear wars that wiped out everybody involved and giant floods that killed almost everybody and society had to be rebuilt from the ground up by the handful of survivors.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I think the biggest issue I have with the calamity between 1.0 and 2.0 is that it didn't really seem that bad relatively speaking.

I mean ya Bahamut fucked everything up, but like all the state powers are more or less intact and everything kinda just kept going on.

I remember when I read through the first lore book where they described the other calamities and it's shit like giant wars that are basically the equivalent to mutual assured destruction nuclear wars that wiped out everybody involved and giant floods that killed almost everybody and society had to be rebuilt from the ground up by the handful of survivors.

There's a reason for that, it's covered in the Binding Coil story.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    I mean I know all the stuff from that, but it still feels like calling Bahamat a calamity feels a little off compared to what other calamities did.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Ultimately it still did exactly what it was supposed to do - the destruction on Eorzea is just incidental and not the actual purpose. You just don't learn what the calamities are actually for until much later.

Au'ra
    No, I agree with you there - while there's a lot of landscape devastation and such everywhere as a result of it, it's nowhere near as apocalyptic as the others. The original ending of ARR with the city state leaders all going "and everything's fine now" struck me as premature too.

Au'ra
    A circle of politicians declaring "nothing to see here, everything's fine!" sounds pretty par for the course to me.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    the bad news: the high five emote is a canned animation that doesn't take targets into account, meaning the only way to properly line up a high five is to get two characters of equal height, or to have the shorter player elevated somehow

the good news: the high five emote is a canned animation that automatically makes a slapping sound, meaning horny players can just have the other person stand somewhere high up and turn around, preferably while wearing the 2B bottoms

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Lalafell dick slapping contest

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Ultimately it still did exactly what it was supposed to do - the destruction on Eorzea is just incidental and not the actual purpose. You just don't learn what the calamities are actually for until much later.

See, here's the thing (Binding Coil of Bahamut, late Heavensward, and also Shadowbringers spoilers)
    Yes, Bahamut's attack triggered a Rejoining, so it's functionally identical to the other Umbral Calamities from a metaphysical standpoint, as each of them also triggered a Rejoining. But the fact that every Rejoining event has been called an Umbral Calamity by Eorzean scholars has always been something of a coincidence (possibly an engineered one, but still). Nobody knew about the Rejoinings until we learned it during Heavensward, Stormblood, and Shadowbringers. So until then, the term "Umbral Calamity" was used just to refer to the widespread destruction and ruining of civilizations that these events caused, and the distinct shift to an era of spartan living and rebuilding.

The actions taken by Louisoix greatly reduced the destruction that Bahamut could have dealt to the continent. Even though his attack triggered a Rejoining, it wasn't nearly as destructive as the Allagan quake or the flood that ended the War of the Magi; those were calamities that buried entire nations overnight. The 4 major nations are still largely intact and they didn't even lose their major cities. Looking at events from the perspective of a random Eorzean, it does seem a little premature to call that an Umbral Calamity, unless maybe you were living in Coerthas and now have to deal with a permanent climate shift.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn

This is because Louisoix, as Phoenix, used his primal abilities to ameliorate the impact of Bahamut's rage-filled tantrum.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    zucchini wrote: »
    Fig-D wrote: »
    The new Yo-kai weapons can go in the armoire now, yay!

do they get moved over if you already glamoured them

The answer to my own question is no, you have to move them over

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I should really grab a few people on Sarg and get an unsyched Coil goin' so I can see the rest of that story myself.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Viera
    Enlong wrote: »
    So no one aged at all in the five years since the mysterious calamity huh? Not even the little girl who rules Gridania? Weird.

The Padjal are like, ageless, even by the elf elezen standards of the rest of Gridania.

Ah, it wasn't clear that she was anything other than human (Hyur?). All the non-furred races look too similar to Mi'qote eyes.

Fortunately no one has asked for much input from baby lancer U'suhl so he hasn't embarrassed himself too badly yet. Though he might have a tiny crush on the Admiral now. She's very, big.

the padjals are their own weird thing, you learn a bit more about them in the 60-70 white mage job quests, but I think they're stuck as kids for their whole lives

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Well Kan-e-sena is a padjal I think? And she's not a kid.

The whole padjal deal is a bad scene though.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    oh the padjals are super fucked, the whm quest line goes deeper into it

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Cactuar
    Oh man just got to the level 60 AST quests where
    You get a visit from a Geomancer. Now I want that as a class in the next X-pac

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

this always struck me as funny in the context of the shadowbringers trailer

"this tragedy, greater even than the seventh umbral calamity, must be undone"

what you mean the calamity that killed like, maybe 5 people? don't freak me out too much man, wouldn't want to worry about this

it's done more harm in our ucob prog than it ever coulda dreamed to eorzea

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    I wouldn’t mind if one day they just stopped doing the out-of-order penalty on savage raids going forward. I honestly don’t see the point in making you sacrifice all weekly rewards for tiers 1 and 2 if you attempt tier 3 before them on a given week. If all you want to do at the moment is make progress practicing a particular fight, it’s really annoying that you have to do the previous fights first.

The restriction that you have to beat the previous fights at least once to unlock the next one is fine. But who does it benefit to penalize you if you do the ones you’ve unlocked out of order?

one of many things where the only reason it is done this way is because that's how it's done in the world of warcraft

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    Au'ra
    Bucketman wrote: »

That quest line isn't bad.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Miqo'te
    Polaritie wrote: »

SB AST quests
    I kinda got the impression from those quests that the Geomancer stuff is close enough to what Astromancers do that Square gave themselves an out that works in the lore for why they won't be giving us GEO as a class. Which is a shame, because GEO as an attacker in Tactics was always great fun.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    finally getting into shadowbringers beast tribes
    mijmk4ftkipg.jpeg

Cactuar
    Skeith wrote: »

SB AST quests
    I kinda got the impression from those quests that the Geomancer stuff is close enough to what Astromancers do that Square gave themselves an out that works in the lore for why they won't be giving us GEO as a class. Which is a shame, because GEO as an attacker in Tactics was always great fun.

Yeah I got the same feeling, but I'm not sure what other classes we have left honestly. Maybe Time Mage?

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Beastmaster/Trainer or Puppetmaster could theoretically be Limited Classes like Blue Mage if they decide to add more Limited Jobs.

They'd both involve traveling around to collect your abilities like Blue Mage does, and customizing your loadout. That'd also cover all three DPS types with Limited Jobs.

They really need let Limited Jobs into roulettes though. They can only queue for old content anyways. Maybe just add a "Allow Limited Jobs" checkbox in the roulette options for people who don't want to be matched with them, like how you can disable being placed into In-Progress runs.

Au'ra
    Skeith wrote: »

SB AST quests

Yeah I got the same feeling, but I'm not sure what other classes we have left honestly. Maybe Time Mage?

Fans have wanted Chemist as a healer for a while now. IMO we could stand to have an actual spellblade job like Mystic Knight(Rune Fencer) as a more melee-oriented caster. RDM just fake melees for a few seconds a minute which isn't really the same thing.

Cactuar
    Yeah I'd like to see the next XP add a healer and a magic DPS, since there are only 3 of each.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I use a lot of fantasias
    I irrationally want Judge(Tank), Soldier(melee dps with Buster Swords), and Chemist as a healer.

Gunbreaker(and mechanic to a lesser extent.)as a class opens up a chaos dimension of Protagonist “classes” of previous final fantasies being interpreted as jobs.

Shit they could even do Esper as a magic DPS.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    The game is hinting pretty heavily at chemists being a new healer job in the newest MSQ.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Lalafell
    Badablack wrote: »
    The game is hinting pretty heavily at chemists being a new healer job in the newest MSQ.

I'm very skeptical that that bit was a hint.
    It read to me more as this kid being excited by the idea of heroes going into the world to help people, and wanting to metaphorically "fight" by becoming a traveling doctor. But not like, going out to fight monsters like the soldiers who went out to be heroes.

Some folks have said that Alisaie has an optional line in that quest that hints at it, but I can't remember what it was, and haven't been able to find a video showing that quote yet.

Mind you, I would like something along the lines of Chemist. My idea has been to combine it with Cannoneer. In FFV's remakes, Cannoneer could mix items with ammo to make special cannon shots with a variety of effects; in this way, it was similar to Chemist, which FFV also introduced. And in Tactics A2, Cannoneer could fill their hand-cannon with special ammo to alter their next shot, and had Potion Shell and Ether Shell as abilities to shoot allies with healing effects. Combine the three jobs, and you could have a ranged healer using hand-cannons to shoot special mixed potions at allies, or poisons at the enemy.

Lalafell
    I irrationally want Judge(Tank), Soldier(melee dps with Buster Swords), and Chemist as a healer.

Gunbreaker(and mechanic to a lesser extent.)as a class opens up a chaos dimension of Protagonist “classes” of previous final fantasies being interpreted as jobs.

Esper is a bit of a tricky thing, since Terra's whole Trance transformation was a big part of her whole style. And we kind of have Trance as a mechanic on Summoner.

That said, the idea of Terra as a template makes me think of her expanded Magietk Armor abilities. What if we had a "caster" called Magitek Elite, who uses a modified Garlean weapon to shoot stuff like Magitek Missiles, Thunder Beams, and the like?

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I want the next melee to by Mystic Knight. Kind of like a black mage/paladin hybrid.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »

I'm very skeptical that that bit was a hint.
    It read to me more as this kid being excited by the idea of heroes going into the world to help people, and wanting to metaphorically "fight" by becoming a traveling doctor. But not like, going out to fight monsters like the soldiers who went out to be heroes.

Some folks have said that Alisaie has an optional line in that quest that hints at it, but I can't remember what it was, and haven't been able to find a video showing that quote yet.

Mind you, I would like something along the lines of Chemist. My idea has been to combine it with Cannoneer. In FFV's remakes, Cannoneer could mix items with ammo to make special cannon shots with a variety of effects; in this way, it was similar to Chemist, which FFV also introduced. And in Tactics A2, Cannoneer could fill their hand-cannon with special ammo to alter their next shot, and had Potion Shell and Ether Shell as abilities to shoot allies with healing effects. Combine the three jobs, and you could have a ranged healer using hand-cannons to shoot special mixed potions at allies, or poisons at the enemy.

I'm skeptical as well, but I Want To Believe. There's also the off-chance that new specializations or DoHs are added to the game. Again, not very likely. Perhaps it wasn't a hint at all. Or perhaps it's a hint for new side content that we can't imagine yet.

Au'ra

Esper is a bit of a tricky thing, since Terra's whole Trance transformation was a big part of her whole style. And we kind of have Trance as a mechanic on Summoner.

That said, the idea of Terra as a template makes me think of her expanded Magietk Armor abilities. What if we had a "caster" called Magitek Elite, who uses a modified Garlean weapon to shoot stuff like Magitek Missiles, Thunder Beams, and the like?

Was that supposed to be more of the psychic meaning of the word? Because Psychic is already a class in X-2.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te

Was that supposed to be more of the psychic meaning of the word? Because Psychic is already a class in X-2.

look at the fancy you that wasn't stuck with the original US version of X-2

Lalafell

Possibly?

In FFVI, Terra is able to awaken the magic part of her bloodline and transform into a pink-furred beast woman with double her normal stats. This power was called Morph in the SNES translation, but was originally called Trance (which it is in the remakes). Given the name, it probably is meant to be her using magic to enter a mental trance that gets her in sync with her magic heritage. Final Fantasy IX brought back the concept as a more general power that every permanently playable party member could use; there it functions more like a limit break meter, and is explicitly triggered by a state of heightened or inflamed emotions. Some trances were outright transformations (like Zidane's), but some just made the person shiny (like Garnet's).

The reason I brought this up is because Summoner does indeed use a mental trance to unlock magic power that's been imprinted on their soul. Dreadwyrm Trance taps into the mental image of Bahamut's power and rage to unlock the energy that's tainted basically everyone in Eorzea to some degree. That's why I think going the Esper route with a Terra reference is unlikely; we've got the thing that most separates her from other mages, though I *would* prefer to turn into a pink dragon or something.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Just thinking of obvious weapons they haven’t used yet, Geomancer, Chemist and Time Mage all spring to mind

Other potentials based on previous FF characters that would be pretty cool could be Gambler and Mystic Knight.

Beast Master would also be neat but I personally dislike any pet class in games

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I remember debating with a friend what we thought Terra's Esper form was based on the sprite.

I thought she was a being made out of light, and he thought her skin was like a polished rose-colored stone.

It was quite a while later before we learned she was just a furry.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Viera
    time mage seems unlikely unless they take the time mage stuff away from astrologian, which seemed like it was supposed to be time mage but with more diverse themes to pull from, tarot cards instead of just Casting Haste and such

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.