As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management]: It's a lifestyle

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Also his pushup form looks way more like a tricep pushup to me. The closer your elbows to your body the more focus on your triceps. Same with the "forearm" pushup, which I call a plank up. Mostly a tricep exercise imo. Pushup negatives are good yeah. Any kind of negative is a great way to change up movements.

Long story short the best way to increase your pushup count is to just do pushups. Maybe don't necessarily focus on numbers right now and instead make sure that the however many pushups you can do are done with correct form. Its better to do 2 correct movements with proper form and control than 200 sloppy movements.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the info, @Juggernut

The rocking motion did seem to help a bit today, even with a sore back from a 30 mile bicycle ride

I think I need to adjust my seat or posture or something

I was numb from the waist down after about six miles

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I'm two weeks into the push up challenge (25 a day for 25 days) and I still don't have enough strength or mobility or something to go all the way down to the floor

Does this seem legit?

https://youtu.be/1Bj5PPxgEwo

That is a weird thumbnail

I only flipped through the video and didn't listen to the words, but it looks like a solid progression of exercises to get to full pushups

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I did a recovery run this morning, since my long run was yesterday, and honestly I had completely forgotten how nice it is to run without worrying about distance or pace or how fast I'm running.

It was a beautiful morning, warm but with the occasional breeze that made it bearable and some friendly runners/walkers/people along my route.

Good reminder that regardless of my goals, prs, and even weight, it's nice that I can bring myself to do this.

I felt this way at the end of August after doing 1140km combined indoor/outdoor cycling for the month. I really wanted to get this double randonneur badge for an event I was participating in but by the end of the month every time I got on my bike it felt like a slog, not physically but mentally.

I genuinely do not know how people were doing multiple thousands of km's in the month without being like UGH CYCLING AGAIN I GUESS.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Anyone have thoughts on trackers that they like (for android)?

I ask because the app that I had been using (Run Double) for 5ks and 10ks seems to have stopped working on my phone - which is rather annoying as this week was the last week of the 5 to 10k program I was working on. Butts. But it did make me realize I don't so much need the apps interval training programs anymore and can just run, and a wrist based tracker for steps/miles/heartbeat wouldn't go amiss.

I'm never one to wear a watch so this doesn't need to be a fully functional all in one device. Maybe the Fitbit Inspire 2 or the Charge 4?

What are you all using and liking?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I just bought the Fitbit Versa 2 and enjoy it a fair bit so far.

My last one was the Fitbit Charge 2 and was good as a smaller thing doing nothing really but tracking.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Also his pushup form looks way more like a tricep pushup to me. The closer your elbows to your body the more focus on your triceps. Same with the "forearm" pushup, which I call a plank up. Mostly a tricep exercise imo. Pushup negatives are good yeah. Any kind of negative is a great way to change up movements.

Long story short the best way to increase your pushup count is to just do pushups. Maybe don't necessarily focus on numbers right now and instead make sure that the however many pushups you can do are done with correct form. Its better to do 2 correct movements with proper form and control than 200 sloppy movements.

I prefer teaching the folks I work with their hands at shoulder width (so even with their armpits)or slightly wider and their humerus should be approximately 45 degrees from their body.

Also I greatly prefer hand release push-ups because you get the benefit of negatives with a modified concentric portion.

Starting from the ground: toes are driving into the ground, hands in position, retract your shoulders and lift your hands slightly off the ground and drive through the ground like you’re trying to push somebody away. At the top, slowly lower yourself down to original starting position. Working those has been pretty solid.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I use dumbbells for push ups because it's easier on my wrist and you can get a little more range of motion.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I just weighed myself at the gym and holy shit, even with my home workouts all these months I was not expecting to still weigh in at 211lbs.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I had my first physio appointment for my wrist, and it went well. I have more flexibility already than she expected, though I still have a fair bit of a way to go.

She also had me measure my grip strength, my left hand was at 95, and my right hand was only at 55. Pretty low but could have been worse.
    She also said those amounts were in pounds, but I'm highly doubtful that my grip on either hand is anywhere near that high.

The program she gave me I should be doing every 3-4 hours, as long as my arm isn't getting painful after I stop, then to see her again next week to evaluate progress

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I use dumbbells for push ups because it's easier on my wrist and you can get a little more range of motion.

Dumbbells work but hooo boy kettleballs do not.

Learn well from me, The Fool, children. Learn well.

• Options
    This hand injury is really getting on my last nerve. The doctor put me on some basic naproxen to help with any inflammation but I think that was kind of an "eh just give it a shot" thing. Its not actually doing much considering there's no pain until I put my bodyweight on it.

I'm at about two months now and I can get roughly 10-15 basic pushups before the pain gets to be too much. I used to do like, anywhere from 30 to 100 depending on the workout and I'm gettin' real salty about it.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    This hand injury is really getting on my last nerve. The doctor put me on some basic naproxen to help with any inflammation but I think that was kind of an "eh just give it a shot" thing. Its not actually doing much considering there's no pain until I put my bodyweight on it.

I'm at about two months now and I can get roughly 10-15 basic pushups before the pain gets to be too much. I used to do like, anywhere from 30 to 100 depending on the workout and I'm gettin' real salty about it.

It sucks man, I know

All you can do is give it time unfortunately. But it will get better eventually.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    3 months into noom and I'm down 22lbs. Right now I'm at 183, and that's around my "regular weight". I gotten down to 165 before, but ended up slowly creeping back up to 185 where I stayed until I started putting on even more weight.

I have two months left in the plan for noom but I'm not sure if I'll renew afterwards. I find myself using the app as a calorie counter/weight tracker mostly, feeling like a lot of the articles either don't really apply to me or a bit too pop psychology and cute for their own good. I think for someone that has issues being motivated or working out it would be more useful.

Also both my climbing and running have been really improving! I gotten into a really good running/fitness blender/climbing schedule and I'm sure moving with 20 less lbs has been greatly helping.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I've noticed that I can go from human thumb to hefty but alright and back again within a fairly narrow weight range, or even at the same weight, thanks to how aggressively my body composition changes without changing my actual number on the scale, so I'm going to go the 'take weekly pictures headon and in profile' route to figure out what's working or not for me.

• Options
    UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    I've noticed that I can go from human thumb to hefty but alright and back again within a fairly narrow weight range, or even at the same weight, thanks to how aggressively my body composition changes without changing my actual number on the scale, so I'm going to go the 'take weekly pictures headon and in profile' route to figure out what's working or not for me.

Muscles are heavier than fat is the common wisdom on this. Which is why scale weight is at best one measurement of many. As you point out, weekly pics is a good "counter" to scale weight.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Anyone have thoughts on trackers that they like (for android)?

I ask because the app that I had been using (Run Double) for 5ks and 10ks seems to have stopped working on my phone - which is rather annoying as this week was the last week of the 5 to 10k program I was working on. Butts. But it did make me realize I don't so much need the apps interval training programs anymore and can just run, and a wrist based tracker for steps/miles/heartbeat wouldn't go amiss.

I'm never one to wear a watch so this doesn't need to be a fully functional all in one device. Maybe the Fitbit Inspire 2 or the Charge 4?

What are you all using and liking?

I have a Charge 3 that I like. I just wanted something simple that would track steps and heart rate and it does that really well. I get a week+ off of a charge and it's less than an hour to go from sub 10% to fully charged. One thing is that while the Charge 3 heart rate sensor reviewed well wrist mounted sensors in general don't do well for tracking interval type workouts.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I just got a second hand Charge 3. Liking it so far. I had a Charge HR before but it never seemed to work that well.

Since I got this on Friday I've hit all my goals every day. Definitely making me more motivated, hopefully that will last after the novelty wears off. We just moved to the Cotswolds which is really hilly and I've been doing at least an hour's walking every day. My legs are feeling it today.

Weighed myself today and I'm up to 76.8kg (170 lb) which is my heaviest ever. Every time I've weighed myself the past few months I've just been getting heavier. So I'm hoping the Fitbit + the hills achieves something.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Do you have, like, a target weight?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    68kg would get me into the good BMI range, so I guess that for starters?

I know BMI is kind of bollocks but I don't have any better way of judging if I'm a fatty.

I just realised I wrote the wrong number on my previous post. I weighed in at 76.8 not 68.8

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I got a GO2 to see if it would improve my running. Upon reading how it works carefully, its not like that goofy Jojo respirator. I think its making my training more effective. My Whoop device says my runs are hitting my cardio thresholds for longer periods.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I know BMI is kind of bollocks but I don't have any better way of judging if I'm a fatty.

I just realised I wrote the wrong number on my previous post. I weighed in at 76.8 not 68.8

What with your job being pretty physical and you working out, your total numbers might not go down too far, you'll probably add more than a few kilos of muscle. You'll probably be able to measure your waist getting smaller with a tape, and your arms getting bigger.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Ursus wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »

Muscles are heavier than fat is the common wisdom on this. Which is why scale weight is at best one measurement of many. As you point out, weekly pics is a good "counter" to scale weight.

Muscle is more dense. A pound is still a pound. But you can have more muscle in a given area than fat as it is more dense.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    I tweaked my lower back out real bad like I haven't done in a year or two. I'm actually looking forward to work tonight because it has a ton of things to grab on to that are the perfect height to drop down into a squat stretch and work it out.

Last time I did this a full 12 hour shift of stretching at every opportunity fixed me up pretty good.

• Options

What with your job being pretty physical and you working out, your total numbers might not go down too far, you'll probably add more than a few kilos of muscle. You'll probably be able to measure your waist getting smaller with a tape, and your arms getting bigger.

That's great except I don't have a job and I'm not working out

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Running indoors on a treadmill, completed my run but I could definitely feel that I've been getting a bit too much of this smoky air.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Oh sorry dude, I thought you were gardening full-time. And surely this "We just moved to the Cotswolds which is really hilly and I've been doing at least an hour's walking every day. My legs are feeling it today." counts as working out?

• Options

Oh sorry dude, I thought you were gardening full-time. And surely this "We just moved to the Cotswolds which is really hilly and I've been doing at least an hour's walking every day. My legs are feeling it today." counts as working out?

I'm not gardening full time yet. Or even part time. It's on my list still but you know, brain spiders :rotate:

I guess if you count walking as working out then yes I am working out. I didn't think of it like that.

• Options
    You know that scene in the Incredibles where the robot picks up Mr. Incredible and tries to tear him in half but it just pops his back and realigns his spine?

God that sounds Incredible.

My lower back is still spazzed out but now, maybe from all the hobbling around, my middle back is super tight. My whole body is a stiff, creaky mess. Its put me off exercise for two days this week and I'll probably not do much for the rest of the week, either.

Fuckin just slap my brain in a battle tank or something already.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    man that sucks
    due to being an old and also to sitting stupid I also get a really tight middle-lower back all the time. I find light yoga helps a lot. YMMV depending on how much actual injury is in play though.

• Options
    I've got a deep tissue roller but that doesn't really work for the lower back/lumbar. The only thing for it I think is to just keep stretching and hope it goes away after a few days.

• Options
    HereticAstartesHereticAstartes Registered User regular
    I haven't been in a gym since March. I kept my memberships to help the local gyms I went to. But finally bit the bullet and killed them the other day. So that means it's time for a home gym! I already have a power rack that I use for pull-ups and dips. On the list is a flat bench, olympic bar, safety squat bar, and a decent amount of weights. I've been keeping an eye on EliteFTS for the bars, and Craigslist for weights. No dice on either yet.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Your best best is probably in 6-12 months as everyone starts leaving their houses again and dumping all the home exercise equipment they've been stocking up on since January.

godmode on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Titan Fitness makes cheap reliable lifting equipment if you're budget conscious. I got my barbell from Strength Shop USA and I've been very happy with it, I've had it for 5 and a bit years and it's held up just fine.

You can put the equipment together now if you're patient, it's the weight plates themselves that are going to be the true pain in the neck. Everything around me gets snapped up immediately and the only plates on Craigslist are being sold by people who know they can charge too much and are charging too much.

• Options
    Thanks, I'll check out Titan and Strength Shop. I'm also hoping for / expecting the flood of cheap used equipment whenever the world gets back to normal.

• Options
    Liked what I saw at Titan. Ordered their economy bar, SSB, trap bar, and a flat bench. Most of it is backordered until late October, but it's unlikely I'll have weights by then anyway.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Since getting this Fitbit at the weekend I've averaged 6 miles walking a day and climbed the equivalent of 356 flights of stairs. My shins and calves hurt pretty bad when I first start walking. I wonder if I should skip a day but I worry if I do I won't start again.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I completed the 25 push-ups a day for 25 days challenge

I'm going to start a new thing of my own now

30 push-ups three sets of 10
    30 sit-ups ''
    30 squats "

And walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    @DouglasDanger can I recommend instead of doing three straight sets you do a set of regular, set of close hands, set of wide hands, and then repeat? That'll give you a more comprehensive chest workout. Ten reps per set, minute rest in between sets.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    My wife and I bought a water-based rowing machine since we wanted some weather-agnostic cardio. It's a lot of fun so far and the sound of the water is actually pretty soothing.

This discussion has been closed.