As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Do you mean faster or slower? I like it a little bit faster, there are games where you don't really see anyone and you still have blue or even white shields when you get to the final few teams (unless you get lucky and find a purple on the ground) and I hate feeling like I'm just screwed in that case when other teams have purple and red. If you didn't do anything on purpose to avoid a fight then I don't think you should get penalized for it and it feels to me like "all shields are Evo shields" can lead to that. The overall TTK being faster made me feel ok about it, you might have purple shields to my blue but I can still outplay you if I get the drop on you somehow.

Peen on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Do you mean faster or slower? I like it a little bit faster, there are games where you don't really see anyone and you still have blue or even white shields when you get to the final few teams (unless you get lucky and find a purple on the ground) and I hate feeling like I'm just screwed in that case when other teams have purple and red. If you didn't do anything on purpose to avoid a fight then I don't think you should get penalized for it and it feels to me like "all shields are Evo shields" can lead to that. The overall TTK being faster made me feel ok about it, you might have purple shields to my blue but I can still outplay you if I get the drop on you somehow.

A higher time would mean slower; as much as the idea to reward getting the jump on folks makes sense, the fact that opponents are often silent due to whatever is affecting audio transmission means that people get the jump on you because of a bug, not tactics.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just had the weirdest game in trios; everyone (and I do mean everyone) dropped on one half of the map. My friends and I literally had an entire half to ourselves. We still dropped far and away from all, geared up, and then... had a leisurely stroll across multiple Points of Interest, found more stuff, made it to top 3 or so without even hearing a shot fired. Then top 2. Finally, not too far off, I spotted a person! One friend and I ran up to a cliff face to see what we could find, and engaged two pretty quickly. Having a Bangalore and Gibralter side by side, we just dumped our artillery/air strikes on them, and while they endured some of that (I cracked someones red shields with a triple tap of death from above) our third member ran in behind and shot them down.

Red shields, they'd presumably fought long and hard to get to where they were, and unbeknownst to them, three assholes who'd basically spent 15 minutes picking daisies and braiding each others hair stole the win from them.

Look, I'm not proud of it, but I'll take my wins where I can get 'em.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    i honestly liked the lower shields and ttk because it meant shield batteries were less overwhelming if someone managed to get one off in the middle of a fight but it did put gold shields in kind of a weird place

failing that they could bring back disruptor rounds

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I don't get how turning up the TTK gives advantage to ambushers. With a shorter TTK, it means ambushing somebody kills them before they hardly have time to turn around and fire back. With a longer TTK, it gives them more time to pop an ability and fire back such that, if they really are a notably better player than you, they're going to have plenty of time to outgun the reduced advantage from jumping them.

I also liked that grenades and sniper rifles actually felt punchy again, instead of largely just telling somebody they need to move and recharge because you know where they're at.

I feel like the thing here is to fix the stupid audio issue, not revert the shield change.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm going to miss the new TTK. Personal preference obviously, but it just made the fights feel right.

Simple fix to the gold armour would be to make cells heal it all the way. Boom, job's done.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm going to miss the new TTK. Personal preference obviously, but it just made the fights feel right.

Simple fix to the gold armour would be to make cells heal it all the way. Boom, job's done.

That would basically be buffing it back to fast heal territory AND with less carried items to get there.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    It would indeed be a hell of a buff. But the problem with fast heal was the ability to get a single shield block back too quickly. Made all the more crazy by lifeline's old passive, man I miss that!

Maybe make shield batteries charge quicker, but not shield cells?

I dunno, I'm just an old man shouting about his TTK :(

• Options
    Somehow we're all old men advocating for a faster TTK, that's not really how that's supposed to work.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I dunno, as someone who's pretty bad at this a few games in I'm quite happy with where the shields/hp is at now, certainly there's been less instances where I've run round a corner and been dropped to 0 before I can react in any way.

Then again I am just coming off the best game I've ever had, so perhaps I'm biased, whatever nebulous bug fix to Loba's malfunctioning teleport they did must've made all the difference XD
    rpygvcctiegd.jpg

Went off to a pretty spotty start where I had to get rescued and revived, but a flatline/triple take combo proved alarmingly effective, unfortunately we had to surrender our downed Pathfinder to the ring as we were moving in towards the last squad which always feels bad!

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think I like the original TTK over the faster. We slugged out a sloppy win last night, the final fight was such a classic Apex shitshow where we got pounced on in a terrible position, but then the circle afforded us the high ground on our escape
    https://youtu.be/EvmwrulO2i4

• Options
    We would have lost that game 9 times with the old ttk, it's true. I can see the value of what they went back to.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I nearly died twice at the end there - once from the enemy fire (which yeah, maybe TTK changes would have helped), and once from a single ring hit (two would have cost us the match).

That enemy team deserved to be salty because yeah, they came close so many times to just be screwed at the end. Then again, that's why having the superior ring position wins matches, I suppose.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Well guys, after playing on and off since launch, multiple season passes completed, and over 300 hours played, it finally happened:

o2gscojhcvoo.jpg

I am officially not terrible at this game. Mind you, that's only for season 6, and my overall K/D is 0.77. But what matters is this:
    gjletdy6c8q41.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2020
    when everything goes right queued with randos
    BBXTOAA.png?1

Land Airbase, beat the team that dropped with us, then pushed over to village and got a good grenade toss + flank on the team there after seeing the black market effect streaks. Picked up the Bloodhound since he took the brunt of the enemy team's ire, then a big lucky break for me happens when we run into the champion team at the rock wall north of Salvage where they'd entrenched with Rampart walls + chaingun so I throw my ult on them for
    90x5psaa8gra.png
    knocked them out with one down and the other two reeling from my bombardment, but they put up a good fight, downing me so the Bloodhound could repay the favor from earlier. We're looting when a 3rd party tries to push in at us after taking some potshots, and we wreck their Octane after he gets a little too aggressive before his team can back him up. Then their Wrath tried to portal shenanigan to retrieve his tag so we just went through after them and had a silly fight around a Lifeline package surrounded by Rampart walls for cover, involving me running out of heavy ammo on my Flatline and having to resort to shooting the Lifeline through an amped wall when she's running at me only a few meters away for 141 damage with my Sentinel. Then we take out the Wraith, I pick up our Bloodhound for the 2nd time and we have to run from ring doubling back towards the north. I have to medkit because I spent extra time swapping to the R-301 due to seeing all 3 of our team using Heavy, but we move in to the ring in time to 3rd party a fight at the area south of Pit. Then we see just 2 guys at the charge tower/respawn beacon east of Runoff, and I get in a good shot with the Sentinel to down the enemy Bloodhound while he's dueling our Bloodhound and then we push on Caustic who's huddled behind a crate and oh, he was the last guy

Orphane on
  • Options
    Looks like the September event is live, a different LTM every week. This week it's by far the weirdest of the modes they do, Dummie's Big Day.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I've never played this mode... How does it work?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    I've never played this mode... How does it work?

Everyone is a shooting range dummy.
    Your Q shoots a random loot, ult is either loot pinata, AOE heal, or Mirage ult.

And from the round I played, it felt like there are no footsteps? Also none of the dummies talk, so it's all text callouts.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Gah, just had the shittiest loss. Our Wraith died in the ring, and my Octane buddy knocked/died as I finished squad 3. Grabbed Octane's banner, and went to retrieve the Wraith banner since I had a mobile respawn. But I timed my healing improperly, thinking I had a med kit out but just a syringe. Then I spent a split second trying to start another syringe, only to find out it was a med kit the second time (since I ran out of syringes).

This meant that I died a third of a second before making it out of the ring with both banners due to a single final tick of ring damage. If Lifeline still had fast heal would have totally made it back. I just mis-calculated what item I had and how much distance it would take to cover, so a damn shame since we had plenty of gear and better positioning to just straight up merc the last fight. Ah well.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I have successfully gotten two buddies to start playing this game, one of whom insists that he's bad at shooters but keeps putting up decent numbers (the Bangalore in the video below).

We got two wins tonight, and the second one felt particularly good because we had a plan and executed it and had several good fights. We loaded up, headed into a combat zone, leveled up, kitted my teammates out with snipers and shotguns to cover close and long range and me with two rifles to cover mid and it worked.

(warning: chihuahua rage near the start of this video)

http://www.twitch.tv/surfpossum/v/735686909

Admittedly having Lifeline be your forward is probably a bad idea in general (which is why I'm usually sniping) but it sounded better than letting them rush in and get themselves killed.

• Options
    BhrVvZF.png?1

got a solid game where everything went pretty well with the highlight being our team 3rd partying a fight at the small village north of Sorting Factory, where I landed an Arc Star on the bars of a 2nd story window to kill both the reviver and revivee. Outrotated and outshot the other enemy team, and then capped it off with a grapple around a house to land on top of the unfortunate Mirage who was trying to heal and capped him with my Triple Take to finish the fight. then we headed in and after skirmishing and coming down to the last 2 teams, had a tense fight where i ended up 1v1ing for the win after an initial 3v2 where my teammates got a bit hasty and pushed in when i was busy healing off a surprise attack.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    SIRKOOTERFLAPS :lol::lol::lol:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Khraul wrote: »
    SIRKOOTERFLAPS :lol::lol::lol:

They were a pretty solid teammate!

Orphane on
  • Options
    Event switched, it's King's Canyon at night! Yay?

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    Event switched, it's King's Canyon at night! Yay?

honestly, the darkness is not a particularly great or interesting gimmick like any of the other game modes

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Had one teammate quit during load, another charged into a bunker and immediately got mowed down by the squad inside. I downed one and was working on the other two when I saw they quit, too.

I hid the rest of the match and got second place. Here's the epic* final battle, in which I managed to down one but then nobly** fought on instead of just going for the kill.

* not actually very epic
    ** stupidly

That very last voice line is killing me with the timing.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    Heh, as someone who marathon'd this entire thread, I recall the 'dark mode' maps not getting a whole lot of love, but as someone who is only a season and change into the game, I'm excited to try it out, and hope they use that feedback and any they get from this run to enhance whatever they're planning for Halloween.

Given that last year's event apparently started on Oct 15th, that might only be a month or so away (Tues Oct 13th?). I've been saving crafting materials since the Lost Treasures event (where I just bought a banner for Loba and an Epic skin for Bangalore, as I recall). I know the event skins are expensive, but hope to be able to cherry pick a choice one or two depending on what really appeals to me.

• Options
    I forgot that this is an old version of King's Canyon with Skull Town, that's the real draw of the mode.

It's not much but it's something!

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I think King's Canyon At Dark would be much more fun if it were using the current iteration of King's Canyon, as uh... OG King's Canyon is an awesome map that has the absolute worst distribution of loot.

• Options
    I was kind of hoping they would do the zombie mode

• Options
    Maybe that'll be another brief event? There's lots of time left.

Or maybe they're happy with where that is and we'll just have to get our fill of it in October?

• Options
    Number of people conned into playing so far: 4, now that my wife has finally agreed to give it a shot.

And we managed to place pretty well a few times!

99kzta38oq2p.png

• Options
    edited September 2020
    89Dve8D.png?1

this one was a wild ride from start to finish

We started off dropping Thermal Station next to another team who landed middle while we landed on the round building to the west, traded a couple shots and then both decided to just walk away and loot the rest of the area. Then after rotating to the little village in the South via zipline, we're grabbing stuff when I hear the sonar ping go off and I'm like "they just scanned near us" - lo and behold, they're up on the building in the same village where the beacon is, and we open up on each other. I get a knock on a Pathfinder who's a bit too greedy gunning at my Lifeline buddy, then my Loba friend and I charge in and grenade the shit out of the building they crawled into, stopping the revive. We drop the Bangalore trying to hide in the smoke and then get the last guy and loot. Thinking we're safe, I go up to scan and then get sniped and knocked before I can get to cover; my friend gets me with the Lifeline revive just in time for this new enemy team to push in. I barely get a 2nd shield cell off and heal about 50 health from the drone my friend dropped for me, and then while they go hard on him I manage to catch the enemy Octane while he's dipping for cover. I thirst him ASAP and then run and jump down the stairs into the building while my friend is being chased for dear life by the other 2 enemies, and come in just in time for my Loba friend to help take out one while the other one barges through the door just as I come down. We lock eyes and I absolutely shred him with the Alternator for the finish, which gets us all in pretty good shape with 2 purples and a gold shield and plenty of ammo/healing.

We walk down into Tree on the edge of the ring so we can grab some crafting mats and craft a backpack/helmet or two, but right before that I hear one of my friends say "hey, that's a team behind you!" to the other friend. Loba friend gets lit up as we squeeze off a few shots at the enemy team running in behind, and Gibraltar drops an ult on top of the building as our Loba gets knocked. I get lucky and manage to slingshot grapple in without getting hit by the ult, sliding down the hallway and open up on a Lifeline in the same room my Lifeline pal is fighting a Caustic in, and the enemy team must have gotten super mixed up between enemy and friendly Lifelines because the Caustic starts shooting his ally instead of my friend, and my friend whips around after taking out the Caustic and drops the Lifeline I've gotten low. Then the enemy Gibraltar walks in and again my Alternator does work, popping him so we can finish grabbing crafting mats in peace. I get to red off crafting, and then we have a brief respite as the ring closes in on Launch Site.

Since the north entrance to Launch Site is popping off like the 4th of July, we mosey on in through the west side to scope out the area, seeing one team on the southeast side that we trade a bit of fire with as we take over the northwestern building, and then we just kind of guard it for a bit as enemy teams start squeezing in. This is like ring 3, mind, and there are still 6 teams around apparently. This is when it starts getting really hairy - we start having to shoot at people approaching our building and then that kind of just kicks off one huge brawl that never really ends. We guard our building against people trying to come in from left, then right, and then we end up finishing off a team that kept trying to push in after we get a solid trade and capitalize on it. Then we keep on pushing south since that's where the ring is, and it's just bullets and grenades everywhere. We kind of smoosh a team in between us and another squad with some good shots and coordinated nades, then get into the building while there's still apparently 4 squads left. Then the Caustic that was part of the south squad gets greedy and tries to throw traps on us after having used his ult to clear out the sandwiched squad, which we're have absolutely none of - we drop and thirst him while his teammates watch from the crates outside. We keep trading with the two outside 3-4 times and healing up until my Lifeline friend pushes right outside the building to trade, and I flank left to get the shot on the enemies as they try to dip to that side of the crates for shielding, dropping one and then charging in to get the 2nd. At this point the 2 solos who have apparently been ratting it out come out of the woodwork and engage. I manage to get into the building as I took the brunt of it, but a Bangalore follows me in with a Mastiff and gets me despite my teammates' warnings since I just didn't have the health left. My friend starts the Lifeline revive on me but the 2 solos apparently just ran into bad positions after coming out and got cleaned up by my other friend for the finish, so I see the Champion message show up just as i start Phoenix kitting after the revive.

Orphane on
  • Options
    I forgot to turn my mic on but I informed my friend there was something cool I wanted to show him in the firing range.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Beautiful.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just had a win with a really fun final segment. We hugged the edge of the circle as it closed on Sorting Factory, having done a pretty smart job of clearing everything along the way to make sure nobody would be coming in behind us. The detailed tactical diagram below shows our path as we climbed onto the smaller buildings south of the big warehouse.

flsi5zqgys9k.png

As the circle converged onto the big warehouse, we ran up onto the top of it and discovered that two squads had taken up positions inside; one in the top room and one below. We ran up to 1 and exchanged a bunch of shots, then fell back to 2, taking potshots at each other and healing up. When the third to last circle showed up, we ran over to 3, taking up positions around the exits to the little room and pinning them in. They retreated below 4, right next to the door, and we set up shop directly above them. At some point they took a wraith portal over to the final circle, amongst the shipping crates, and we used Octane's jump pad to launch ourselves on top of them, catching them off guard. Octane downed the first one and then Bloodhound chunked the other two, retreated, and I charged out to mop them up with a Mastiff before they could catch their breaths.

It wasn't, like, a particularly epic match or anything, but it felt like a bunch of good decisions that all worked out.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    kind of annoyed armed and dangerous doesn't start off with level 1 evos considering peacekeepers and krabers spawn in the mode and there are several other random drop options that can easily do 100 health

i mean the kraber would still be dumb since it does 145 body and 152 on low profiles but that 50 health buffer would make for more satisfying drop fights imo

Orphane on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I think they just did a quick balance update for armed and dangerous? But I don't know if they added evos or not...
    I've found it kind of a fun for a limited game mode, plus it syncs quite nicely with the 'deal 5000 shotgun damage' challenge I just got seen as I rarely ever use shotguns normally...

I'm still not very good at this but I have managed to drag my k/d on an upwards trajectory, so I guess I'm improving. I've been mostly sticking to playing as Loba, partly cos her skills seem generally pretty weak so I have to focus more on aiming and moving properly to come out ahead.

• Options
    I don't know if they've patched it yet, but the other day my buddy and I noticed energy mags/ammo showing up in A&D, which... uh, if I'm not mistaken, there aren't any shotguns or sniper rifles that use those, making them utterly dead weight in this LTM.

Not that it's around for all that long, but something they might want to include in a quick pass the next time it comes back or they decide to iterate on it.

• Options
    Well, I unlocked Revenant for a daily and after 3 or 4 games I have 10 kills.

That tactical is fun.