As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EVE Online] Multiplayer Treachery Engine - Citadel Patch (April 2016)

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i toyed with it for a few minutes this morning... might toy with it a bit more. can't see myself paying for it anytime soon

it seems... remarkably dedicated to trying to preserve as much EVE gameplay as possible, which... I think is questionable but respectable nonetheless.

time will tell

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I played the beta quite a bit, it had about the same "fun" factor as regular Eve.

After about a week, it just felt like chores I had to do. Stuck with it for a while, but it was a lot of grinding for a payoff I couldn't perceive.

Anon the Felon on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I installed it and am sort of feeling the same. It's all the Eve chores without the payoff of the occasional epic cool space battles. Still going to skill up a character a bit just in case.

What is this I don't even.
  • DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, without any crossover at all I'm zero interested.

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
    I don't think crossover would add much tbh. Eve is Eve. What I can't tell is whether they've made a good phone game out of the bones, or just a weird zombie version.

edited August 2020
    can't really bring myself to commit to it... if anything it's because I feel absolutely no trust in the developers to fairly administer the game. EVE proper only barely functions in its current state... what are the odds that they'll iterate on mobile?

One thing that the game does illustrate is how fresh EVE would feel if you could suddenly increase the player base twenty fold, and have a fresh server...

I hold that many systems in EVE function just fine... if there were 100k nightly players instead of.. 20k...

If you factor out jita alts, cynos, bots, and other perma-logged characters that have no pvp purpose whatsoever, there are probably fewer than 2k players logged in and undocked on any given US night. that's... awful.

There are rumors.. and I stress... only rumors... that CCP is thinking about relaunching EVE for console with Netease help, with a new server. That would be.... way more interesting. Is EVE playable with a console controller? I would argue yes actually... interesting premise.

Jasconius on
    Ehhhh. See, this is where the mobile game disappoints me. I don't think they'll have any success just going Eve. It needs to be 2.0, and something like the idle gameplay modes of mobile, if it was tuned right to Eve, might have worked.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    So, poking this game around, was pointed to the career agents and then the Sisters of Eve mission arc, so doing that.

Been having fun, this game is deep. So far the most fun thing to me has been Exploration, so likely going for a Wormhole corp or something.

TryCatcher wrote: »
    So, poking this game around, was pointed to the career agents and then the Sisters of Eve mission arc, so doing that.

Been having fun, this game is deep. So far the most fun thing to me has been Exploration, so likely going for a Wormhole corp or something.

like... regular eve? not eve echoes? cool man

not many wormhole corps worth joining will accept people who are that new to the game. wormholes are generally something you do once you've had some experience in the game and can get around all the limitations it places on your daily life (e.g., virtually all wormholers have 2-3 paid accounts so they can have extra characters for various tasks)

but exploration is great money, there are several people in my corp who makes hundreds of millions of isk per day doing exploration in nullsec

• MalyonsusMalyonsus Registered User regular
    Echoes has got me thinking about Eve prime again. I restarted my third account (jack-of-all-trades npc-corp alt) to mess around in. Back in the day I had a combat/exploring account and a mining account I would dual box with. I don't know if I have that in me anymore, but Eve has always had this aesthetic that I really want to enjoy.

Hmm, maybe not the Wormhole part then, but do want to do Exploration or just grind missions or PvP.

Hmm, maybe not the Wormhole part then, but do want to do Exploration or just grind missions or PvP.

exploration is one of the best money makers in the game... I recommend doing it in either Gurista space or Sansha space. These are traditionally the most valuable relic sites. You can make over 100m in a single can if you're very lucky.

If you do it enough, PVP will find you, and you can go from there.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    In other news, the Trigs are hitting Niarja

If the hisec chokepoint system between Jita and southern hisec gets turned into 0.0, that's going to make things... interesting.

• MalyonsusMalyonsus Registered User regular
    Hey, I'm close to there! Good thing I didn't set up my planetary interaction testing there like I had considered, I guess!

V1m wrote: »

If the hisec chokepoint system between Jita and southern hisec gets turned into 0.0, that's going to make things... interesting.

Uh, looking at similar complaints and...can't you just fight on Team Trig or something?

yeah you can participate in the war... decide who you want to help.... find the enemy, shoot them, then you'll be an ally

honestly these events are probably one of the better ways for new players to meet people since the content is mostly easily accessible...

supporting the trig has several great advantages... to be honest I'm not sure what the edencom benefits are, I don't think they win very often

edited August 2020
    Jasconius wrote: »
    yeah you can participate in the war... decide who you want to help.... find the enemy, shoot them, then you'll be an ally

honestly these events are probably one of the better ways for new players to meet people since the content is mostly easily accessible...

supporting the trig has several great advantages... to be honest I'm not sure what the edencom benefits are, I don't think they win very often

Yeah, asked on the EVE Online Discord and indeed Team Trig is all upside because Trigs are winning so you get to play on the systems as usual.

On stuff, finished my Career Agents so now to the SoE epic arc. Things learned: Caldari priviledge makes it not a big deal, but is 100% worth it to haul ass to Jita to buy stuff since is that much cheaper. Like there's the reccomended fit for the Caldari Destroyer, the Cormorant, and the guns costs 300k on Jita and 1 mill on the training system. Each. Calling it a day since is late and lol 15 jumps from Jita, but I'm ready.

Oh, and also decided to play with the Heron recommmended fit for Exploration and found a Wormhole on High Sec. Couldn't resist, so went in (and bookmarked the exit since Rookie Chat said that it was IMPORTANT since, uh, can't find the exit otherwise. So, found combat sites, that lol killing with my 7 Light Drones and some mining sites. It looked cool but kinda couldn't do much so went back.

TryCatcher on

Uh, looking at similar complaints and...can't you just fight on Team Trig or something?

Oh yes.

Yes you can.

In a remarkable turn of events, a TEST FC, the notoriously sensible and considered Nour Samy ragepinged his entire coalition to yell at them for doing this and highlighting exactly how important it was to the war effort that Niarja stayed hi-sec.

Now in his defence, no one could possibly have predicted that this would motivate goons and INIT. to take a side...

Oh yes.

Yes you can.

In a remarkable turn of events, a TEST FC, the notoriously sensible and considered Nour Samy ragepinged his entire coalition to yell at them for doing this and highlighting exactly how important it was to the war effort that Niarja stayed hi-sec.

Now in his defence, no one could possibly have predicted that this would motivate goons and INIT. to take a side...

Reading reddit, the predictable happened and now Niarja is Trig space. From reading...well...southern hisec kinda just got cut off from Jita since now the high sec route between Jita and Amarr is 45 jumps.

i don't pretend to know the details of Brave logistics.... but I have a hard time believing any material amount of Legacy logistics actually goes through highsec.... certainly not Niarja anyway

It's 2 JF hops to amarr-adjacent lowsec anyway.... from there its trivial to get on their JF silk road to anywhere in Legacy sov....

I feel like maybe Nour is just a loose cannon? and made a meme of himself? idk.

JF pilots must be laughing at this overall. The Niarja change is really only a shakeup for people who live in empire space, including lowsec, since it was quite common for professional southern lowseccers to just DST goods south with alts, to get sweet jita prices....

now it's JF or nothing... (or wait another 2 years for people to build up industrial bases in places other than the forge lel)

IDK, from the fuss made about it, it's important somehow? Maybe hauling bulk cargo like ship hulls or something?

Hilarious and wonderful outcome though, and a long overdue change for Empire.

yeah I think that the game is more interesting with this.. now just do Uedama and its gg....

one of the first things i tried to get into when I got into EVE was highsec industry for profit... and in 2018 that was not possible for many reasons not least of which was as soon as you set a good price on an item in Rens, a market bot would immediately import stuff and 1isk you to death

now they cannot 1 isk you anymore, and soon they won't be able to casually import either...

I think EVE has the best crafting system ever designed by anyone ever in any genre, but the worst thing about it is that you have to compete on a galactic scale no matter where you live. This further localizes industry which I think is a good thing for "normal" players

edited August 2020
    Hmm. There's a lot of doom posts about how Amarr is just going to die as a major trade hub since the big players will just move all their stuff to Jita.

TryCatcher on
    Hmm. There's a lot of doom posts about how Amarr is just going to die as a major trade hub since the big players will just move all their stuff to Jita.

You're new to the game right? First lesson: virtually everything, perhaps, indeed, every single thing players post to official channels is wrong

Amarr is already the second largest hub, it is that way because it services the South half of the map extremely well. The South happens to contain two of the largest independent coalitions in the game that comprise probably more than 2/3 of the active daily players in the game... and countless other noteworthy entities.

The North is basically just Pandemic Horde and miles upon miles of the smoking remains of the PL empire.

If anything I expect amarr to become larger than jita now simply because that's where most of the game lives and plays at the moment

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    So I've tried eve a ton of times over the years, the first time being a year or so after it launched, and I could never get into it due to the whole "lol no catching up to people who started before you, EVER!" and as such I'm really finally enjoying echoes due to the fresh start/even footing. Also seems nice that it's a bit smaller with more people so everything is populated (although there is a kinda digital race war brewing due to the non split servers as the asian players (going by their names anyway) have been flying around in fleets murdering anyone w/out an asian character name and now people are grouping up to fight them......) also people able to set a jump to somewhere and just throw my phone in my pocket and get an alert when I arrive is awesome

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    They're adding directional scan and bubbles in sometime soon and I think the "play with my phone in my pocket" approach will die with that.

you should able to live out a fairly normal life in highsec on the mobile game

the complexities of null in "real" eve leave my head spinning as to how they will implement that fairly in a mobile game that people will have to pause and put away all the time...

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    They're adding directional scan and bubbles in sometime soon and I think the "play with my phone in my pocket" approach will die with that.

it'll be very interesting to see how they handle it; as of right now when you're auto piloting to another system and log out It actually removes your ship from the game. but continues to "travel" and just pops you back in wherever you'd be when you log back in.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Gentlemen. I have wanted to play EVE for a long time - not the regular game which I understand is boring and stupid but exciting game of intergalactic politics that is 0.0. I want to infiltrate your spaceman group and sabotage it from within. I want to scam you out of all your spacebucks. I want to steal all of your spaceships and space goods. I cannot do these things, because I don't have time in real life. However, there is a new Empires of EVE book coming out probably this fall! I can't wait to read about your crazy adventures once more.

Darkewolfe wrote: »

it'll be very interesting to see how they handle it; as of right now when you're auto piloting to another system and log out It actually removes your ship from the game. but continues to "travel" and just pops you back in wherever you'd be when you log back in.

Does it? I was under the impression your ship was still traveling and attackable.

• hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I’ve been playing Echoes and so far it does what it says on the tin - I’m in a small corp that’s holding a few systems in OPSEC - redacted, two demerits and I get to go mine stuff, grab a destroyer to “help” with all-hands PvP and PvE things, but I never have to get up at 3am for an op and so far I haven’t had to deal with some sort of alliance drama where I wake up to a station full of strangers offering me 1isk total for all my belongings, and a pod ride back to highsec.
    It’s what I wanted out of the Eve experience, but with low enough stakes and at a pace I can fit into a regular adult life with like, chores and a job and stuff. I’m in love.
    Also! The first day of the game I was flying around Insmother to find out what PI resources were where and just kinda indulging my inner explorer (when they get exploration in this game I’m gonna buy a Heron Covert Ops and go full LRRP, disappear for weeks at a time, it’s gonna be so great!) - and on several occasions I warped into a system that had no asteroid belts or anomalies, and then if I waited around for a minute or two, some would spawn in. I am pretty sure that I was the very first player in New New Eden to visit those systems, ever. I really hope that NetEase is able to make this work because even if it won’t ever be “real Eve Online”, getting to experience everything from the beginning is more than I could ever have dared to want. For me, Echoes is fucking great.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
    Yeah, I'm a bit dubious but still having fun if only for nostalgia. I joined a startup corp in nullsec and am helping get them rigged up. Fun times.

• SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    I played EVE Online years ago (confirmed to be 5 years after checking my account), but I saw the beta for Echoes a little bit ago and gave it a try. It was fun, but I didn't play too long.

Then I happened to be in bed sick te day Echoes launched, so I installed it and have been having a goofy amount of fun. And all I'm doing is killing rats in encounters and anoms, doing a little manufacturing and running around highhsec. I can't even bring myself to go to 0.4. But it's still fun :) .

I did reinstall EVE on my laptop, just to check it out. I was in MRCHI a couple of times, but I didn't play much so my clone only has 9.9m SP. But it was fun to look around at the UI and see how it's changed from the last time I played. I had forgotten quite a bit, and didn't realize just show slimmed down the Echoes skill list is.

Selner wrote: »
    I played EVE Online years ago (confirmed to be 5 years after checking my account), but I saw the beta for Echoes a little bit ago and gave it a try. It was fun, but I didn't play too long.

Then I happened to be in bed sick te day Echoes launched, so I installed it and have been having a goofy amount of fun. And all I'm doing is killing rats in encounters and anoms, doing a little manufacturing and running around highhsec. I can't even bring myself to go to 0.4. But it's still fun :) .

I did reinstall EVE on my laptop, just to check it out. I was in MRCHI a couple of times, but I didn't play much so my clone only has 9.9m SP. But it was fun to look around at the UI and see how it's changed from the last time I played. I had forgotten quite a bit, and didn't realize just show slimmed down the Echoes skill list is.

There is a button on the right side of the echoes skill system which lets you get back to the skills you'd expect to see mostly. They heavily reduce the options you see initially to make it more noob friendly.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Just got the email.

The Beacons are Lit.

Time to fail spectacularly, have no idea what I'm doing, and still somehow be better than all of TEST combined at this horrible, horrible game.

rmbqobbi7vdq.png

KiTA on
  • DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Deus The Mittani Vult

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Qks4ita.jpg

From the desk of The Mittani:

~WE HAVE SOUNDED THE HORN OF GOONDOR~

You knew this day would come; you knew that you would be called. Only as a last resort; only when it matters most, when the fate of our tribe and the galaxy itself hangs in the balance. The Horn of Goondor, only to be sounded in our darkest hour, when the enemy is at the gates of Fortress Delve and it is time to win or die.

That time is now. There has never been a bigger defensive war in the history of Eve Online, and we're going win this thing - or lose every last Titan we own in the process.

150,000 pubbies have surrounded us and declared that their mission is to exterminate Goonswarm and the Imperium from the game itself - the very same campaign Sir Molle and Band of Brothers attempted to prosecute against us in the Great War. For months we have fought them, outnumbered 3-1 against 103 alliances, the largest blue donut in the history of Eve Online - TEST, NCdot, Pandemic Legion, all of them, all at once.

They expected this would be easy. They underestimated us. For months we have held them back from Delve, but now they have moved their supercapitals in range of our home region, and it's time to throw down. Unlike the Casino War, the enemy does not have infinite isk to rely on; we will not withdraw or retreat from our home. We have spent years preparing for just this moment, and the next month will be one of constant battle at the very highest stakes in online gaming. It will be amazing, and this kind of war won't come around again for many years. The time to return and fight the good fight is now.

Goondor calls for aid. Will you answer?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~STRATEGIC TILDE RESERVE UNLOCKED~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But wait: Does Eve Online, A Bad Game, Kind of Suck?

Months before this war kicked off, something strange happened. Namely, I started playing Eve Online! In-client. For more than a decade I’ve been a mostly-metagame player, with the hope that eventually Eve would become the game I always hoped it could be. Perhaps because Pearl Abyss acquired CCP and thus there are some adults in the room, perhaps because of blind dumb luck, but for whatever reason after CCP nearly ruined the game in 2019 with such nonsense as the Blackout, the Drifter Invasion, and all that other crap, they actually made the game good! I go on fleets now on the regular and fiddle with a 33-planet PI chain while scheming and plotting. It owns.

The game is probably in the best state it’s ever been for balance and user-friendliness. I’m not going to tell you it’s perfect and wonderful because I want people ready to fight in heavy TiDi against the combined forces of the entire damn game, and that means a bunch of gritty, tough things are gonna happen - but the underlying game itself is in the best state it’s ever been.

I want to help, but I can't play in-client because of RL etc - what do?

There are a number of ways you can help. Spread the word to your friends so they're aware that we're at war and need help; if you have caps/supercapitals/titans logged off in a station in Delve, if you can give those to your buddies who are playing and fighting they'll get to use your ships in anger even if you cannot. Otherwise you can contract them to your corp directors, or you can contract supers/titans to DJ's Retirement Fund (the Goonswarm Federation alliance executor corp) and they will be used for the war and reimbursed afterwards. Every ship counts!

If you need help returning, here’s some information to make this easier for you to get into the fight ASAP: https://wiki.goonfleet.com/Public:Retvet

Drain on
    N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
    100m isk to whoever can bring me concrete incontrovertible evidence that Mittani actually does PI

i dont believe it for a second

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I guess they don't purge old accounts from the goonfleet forums, just got my own "personal" the beacons are lit PM from Mittens.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    It's been years since I logged in, like maybe 2016? and I got an email. Came here to see if there was hubub about it. I don't know about invoking Vile Rat, but its certainly on brand with their metagame stuff.

steam_sig.png