As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Being the Follies and Exploits of Duke Bernard II The Compassionate [CK3]

13»

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    So I may be at the end of my intial run, will be interesting to see if I can recover from this. The king who amassed a huge empire died and the mepire was split between his two eldest sons. I was unfortunately the shy one who gets incredibly stressed out simply trying to sway or invite someone to court. The other son was getting very fat and did not seem well liked. I considered trying to get one or the other killed since then everything would roll back into one but instead I tried to focus on improving what I had. My wife had had an affair with my rival and we still had no children. I figured I'd give making the marriage work another shot and seduced my wife. Success she's pregnant! A bit later, nope it was the rivals and she's had another affair. Ok so I guess I'd better get a divorce along with imprisoning her. A while later I was wondering why I had an infant in the dungeons too. Whoops, that's the baby she had.
    Get remarried again seduce her too. Nothing much then suddenly a pregnancy, I've got the new kingdom relatively stablized, I just need to finish off the King still holding onto the overall kingdom title of the are I took most off. Ok I've got two daughters now. One from my wife and one from my concubine.
    Let's start that war. You have died. Died of extreme malnourishment, too much of a shy recluse. Now I'm a 1 year old girl and everyone hates me. Ok, I'll make an alliance with my uncle who got the other half of the empire by betrothing my 1 year old sister to someone in his family. Success we now have an alliance, what's this you want me to join a war, well I'm still finishing this one up, but ok. And uncle you just lost that war, and you've been deposed and have no power.....

It's not looking good for the Pelmis dynasty.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    This is fine...
    jyupgovqmnd9.png

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Those are some ugly children

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    You're not supposed to say that Smof

• Options
    So playing as a child up through adulthood does add some fun growing up rivalry and friendship events. I'm surprised they don't let your guardian give you some stat boosts or let you take SOME actions. It was a long road one civil war later though and everyone was roughly back under control even though I was a woman. Hit 16, married. Got pregnant, miscarried, gor pregnant again then my husband was murdered, went insane, successfulyl gave birth to a male heir, got married again, subjugated the Mongolian empire that my fat uncle Amuro managed to lose. And now it's back into repair mode again as everyone is peeved about the long war. But I'm a fresh 22 year old ambitious, gregarious lunatic. So hopefully we can get some work done. Also if that Chieftess that lost my cat hadn't raised me from birth I'd have her killed.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Well that's the end of Duke Bernard II The Compassionate

so my cousin started some shit with me over an exclave county of mine that I started the game with.

Naturally, I tried everything I could think of to fight back. Unfortunately, the combination of the compassionate trait and the shy trait mean that basically everything you do causes extra stress. I went completely off the rails insane, became convinced my 1 year old daughter was out to get me, and ended up self-flagellating so hard to get out of the last stress level that I lost an eye and died a month later from infection:

r3f8kofetisv.png

ai1ijsbnykn1.png

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    On the downside, my Duke got bubonic plague.

On the upside, he got frickin' sweet metal Dr Doom mask.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Just started a game as a seducing bi dude and married a giantess that I'm in true love with. I have also killed or conquered most of my siblings.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Every time I see that one loading screen of the castle on the hill I'm reminded that I've really gotta finish that witcher DLC

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    When I get back from work, I'm going to tell you a story about Empress Aveline II "The Blood Mother", and her sister Mary of Berry (not to be confused with Mary Berry), who went on to fuck over Aveline's daughter, then fuck Aveline's daughter, then fuck over Aveline's daughter again

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    When I get back from work, I'm going to tell you a story about Empress Aveline II "The Blood Mother", and her sister Mary of Berry (not to be confused with Mary Berry), who went on to fuck over Aveline's daughter, then fuck Aveline's daughter, then fuck over Aveline's daughter again

One way or another, the poor girl was getting screwed.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Actually picked this up for myself last night. Still in the tutorial, so my stories are all the same old boring Murchad that everyone else knows, but it's been pretty good.

Went for a heavy conquest based approach to taking over Ireland, and essentially split it up the middle with the counties that I took. I also started having an affair after a peasant woman saved me from a bear that was about to kill me. She revealed the affair right before my bastard son was born, and I refused to recognize him and ended my relationship with her. Shortly after, I died of typhus, and my son took over.

So I'm now trying to deal with the fact that my dad didn't understand de jure duchies and grabbed like, one county from every duchy in Ireland, so all of my half brother vassals (who are all like eleven or younger) are unhappy with the territory they've inherited. Also shortly after I took the throne, my imported wife gained power in her small territory in the HRE, and can't help me out at court. Technically this makes my son heir to that territory as well, but quite honestly, I'm not sure if I want to be trying to manage that territory as well as half of Ireland, so I'm considering trying to find a way to get him out of having to deal with that.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    So, I was thinking, there should be a mythology component to this much like the stuff that ends up in Dwarf Fortress carvings. In my areas case, there are vicious predators that murder children in forests. Like all the time. Seriously, don't let your kids in the forest.

(Sorry, we needed to "clean up" some lineage)

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Alright now we're getting into the real Crusader Kings shit.

As Brian, son of Murchad, petty king of Munster, I managed to straighten out the parts of Ireland I controlled fairly well. After they were in order, I followed in my father's footsteps, taking several additional counties in my mission to become King of Ireland. Eventually, I made it to the point where I controlled every county but Dublin, but the ruler there was fairly capable of beating back any armies I sent at him. I decided to switch to plotting to blackmail and kill various members of his family (never particularly successfully) and took a look at how things would be for my two sons. It appeared that the territories I possessed would be split between them on my death, so I decided to prematurely call it and worked up just enough money to declare myself the High King before immediately dying.

As Iarlaithe, son of Brian, High King of Ireland, I suddenly have a lot to figure out. I'm a fantastic steward, but not particularly good at anything else, and on top of that, I'm shy. Nobody likes me because I'm the new king, but also trying to fix that stresses me the hell out. I quickly discover that my brother is involved with a plot to install my twelve year old sister as the High Queen of Ireland, and as I'm trying to determine what to do about that, it's announced that Scotland (well, Alba, but essentially Scotland) has declared a holy war on me. It is at this point that I discover that I am Jewish, unlike literally every other member of my family. I send my brother off to fight in the holy war that I am certain to lose, and he immediately dies, which honestly seems like a stroke of luck, but not enough of one, as my sister has plenty of other supporters to install herself as the Queen and knock me back down to the county level.

I'm now plotting to kill a twelve year old despite having a 3 in intrigue, because if I can kill her before she comes of age I'll become High King again.

Edit: She has revoked my title. Game Over.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Ok...so Esme became ruler of New Peladon at one year old. She is the pagan Job. Job of the old testament. It was a rocky road of recovery to pull the Empire together. But she did it and more.
    Her first husband was murdered shortly after she became pregnant with their second child. The first one miscarried. It was around now she developed Lunacy. Her second husband has been a rock solid partner. They had a son and daughter together following her first son from the original marriage.
    By the time she was in her thirties new peladon stretched from the Kingdom of Mongolia through to the Kingdom of Permia. She founded a holy order of soldiers to defend Sumonesko nations. Then she caught leprosy. The first treatment was quite successful and despite the lunacy she was otherwise in good health. In part due to the fact she'd convinced herself she was made of glass and had to be very careful when she moved around.

She went on a long pilgrimage, but afterwards the second leprosy treatment did not go so well. It staved off the symptoms but gave her a nervous break which led her to become a drunkard. She already attended many feasts and became known as a famous reveler as well. The third leprosy treament resulted in a disfiguring injury, so now instead of looking like a 80 year old at 38, she got to wear a golden mask. More territory came under the empire's control, and a holy site was fortified with a hall of heroes. Then they had to amputate her leg. Oh and somewhere in there with all the feasting she became obese as well.
    Look at this way, there's not much else that can go wrong, right Esme?
    7b8czku4in73.png
    Still not a bad run. She made it to 53. I'm guessing unless that radical treatment goes VERY well, she's not gonna make 54.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I've just realized, I cannot get the random ruler placement rule to work. It doesn't seem to have any effect. Everyone in the selection screen is always in the same place, and when you get into the game all the characters nearby are the same as if you have this setting off. I was hoping to do a big "shuffle" game with all the faiths randomized and such, but I don't see how to start a game with those settings in effect.

2nd edit, before the first: ok turns out you just must still select a "historically accurate" ruler while starting a new game, but all the faiths and every other ruler is effectively randomized. I don't know why last time I tried random ruler it didn't seem to change anyone, even the other rulers after I got into the game.

Edit: I decided to make Greater Poland even Greater, and the game's first idea for how I should advance my empire is declaring war on this guy:

quzlkd16beal.png

g3pq991xnmco.png

... yes I tend to agree

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I think New Peladon despite being huge will eventually get kicked around by the more advanced cultures. We're stuck at tribal and I spent a lot of time prepping to reform our religion only to discover at the last minute that we needed to own 3 of the holy sites as well, which is...unlikely any time soon.
    It'll be interesting to see how things eventually go. Enemy armies are taking bigger and bigger doom stacks to overcome. We're got the numbers, but not much else. Byzantine Empire is starting to toss around holy wars. I think I'll switch gears to just spreading the dynasty all over the world to see how far we can get before the empire collapses.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    1.1 Patch notes are out:
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-42-1-1-patch-notes.1428193/
    - Gave the AI dancing lessons
    - Fixed a number of lakes floating around.
    - Devouring people will now have a clearer impact on your stress level
    - You will no longer have to spend the rest of your life fabricating one hook

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    I've decided for the month of October I'm going to be playing a bisexuals only run of Transylvania from the very beginning

My goals include religious reform (ideally a non-Christian religion, although I've started Orthodox so we'll see how that goes), establishing the Carpathian empire, and someday, somehow, starting a habit of kidnapping nobles from England

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    that is the most patch notes i have ever seen in one place.... wow

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I've decided for the month of October I'm going to be playing a bisexuals only run of Transylvania from the very beginning

My goals include religious reform (ideally a non-Christian religion, although I've started Orthodox so we'll see how that goes), establishing the Carpathian empire, and someday, somehow, starting a habit of kidnapping nobles from England

It's important to have goals in CK3. Like turning the head of the Catholic faith into a Papal Meal.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    if I have three sons in a confederate partition inheritance but I want the majority of my stuff to go to the player heir, can I just gift the titles to my heir before my character dies?

I just finished conquering a huge chunk of land that I really wanted and my guy is about to die

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    if I have three sons in a confederate partition inheritance but I want the majority of my stuff to go to the player heir, can I just gift the titles to my heir before my character dies?

I just finished conquering a huge chunk of land that I really wanted and my guy is about to die

There is weird math at work there, but generally no.
    You can make it so all 3 inherit less, but you can't advantage your primary heir.
    You can give it to the heir of heir grandson if that exists, though children can generally only hold 2 counties.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    My first playthrough, I am playing slowly, learning the game, not being too ambitious, just making Poland slightly stronger with each ruler.

Now its year 1200: my current character is 60 years old, generous, happy with life, likes to drink and revel, has 8 kids, everyone likes him. Im conquering slowly nearby counties, so my 4 sons have enough to inherit one dukedom each.

Sadly, even though I thought that everyone loves me, a vassal rebellion starts, wanting to make a king of a youngest brother of a previous king, my last living uncle. I misjudge the scale of this issue: half of my army is returning from current war against Lithuania, but it is defeated before merging with my second army - this one is also destroyed.

My allies come to help too late: they, too, are defeated. My son, second in line to the throne, is killed during battle, while my character suffers a mental breakdown, keeping his shit together only thanks to the presence of his loving wife.

The war is lost, I am reduced to the position of Duke of Mazovia.

And a new King of Poland

my uncle younger than me

a killer of my son

this motherfucker

gives me a position of Spymaster in his court.

Let me tell you, everyone

my vengeance will be terrible.

(unless I die before regaining the crown - dude is 60 already after all)