As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

FALL GUYS is going to be the biggest esport.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Ringo wrote: »
    Huh, so looking at the PS4 Achievements, in the past month since release:

94.2% have qualified at least once
    41.2% have gotten to level 10
    37.6% have finished 1st in a racing round
    27.7% have qualified 100 times
    22.4% have won an episode
    11.2% have finished 1st in a racing round 5 times
    10.5% have reached level 25
    5.8% have played enough to have spent a cumulative hour falling
    4.0% have won 7 episodes
    3.2% have qualified 500 times
    2.4% have finished first in a racing round 20 times
    1.4% have reached level 40

And 1.1% have won 20 episodes

I wonder what the win rates are for other battle royale games? That jump from 40% have played enough to reach level 10 to barely more than half of those people having a single win seems pretty rough. Also explains the drop off to only 10% making level 25.

Note that the game was free for PS+ members in August (which is everyone who plays online games on their PS4) and apparently lacks the cheaters skewing the stats on PC

Edit: self quoted to avoid botp

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Still haven't gotten a win yet.

Slime Climb nearly always gets me. I've only finished it twice.

BLM - ACAB
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Huh, so looking at the PS4 Achievements, in the past month since release:

94.2% have qualified at least once
    41.2% have gotten to level 10
    37.6% have finished 1st in a racing round
    27.7% have qualified 100 times
    22.4% have won an episode
    11.2% have finished 1st in a racing round 5 times
    10.5% have reached level 25
    5.8% have played enough to have spent a cumulative hour falling
    4.0% have won 7 episodes
    3.2% have qualified 500 times
    2.4% have finished first in a racing round 20 times
    1.4% have reached level 40

And 1.1% have won 20 episodes

I wonder what the win rates are for other battle royale games? That jump from 40% have played enough to reach level 10 to barely more than half of those people having a single win seems pretty rough. Also explains the drop off to only 10% making level 25.

Note that the game was free for PS+ members in August (which is everyone who plays online games on their PS4) and apparently lacks the cheaters skewing the stats on PC

i think that's it, really

my roommate and i have been playing every day since like 2 days after it came out and we're only level 35? with my first and so far only win coming in at level 33

the lack of cheating seems to keep it "more competitive"

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    In general, as long as the latest version of a console firmware hasn't been jailbroken in some way, online console games are going to be relatively safe from hackers. The PC is an open platform though, so from the word go anyone can do whatever they want with your game while it's running (and when things get more advanced, when it's not running as well), and a game like Fall Guys that's made by a smaller studio is definitely not going to prioritize anti-cheat stuff before launch when they're not sure how well their game is going to sell.

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i am truly awful at tail tag

Here's my general strategy that I find works well enough:

1) Emote until the timer reads about 0:45. Nothing you do before this point has any effect on the outcome.
    2) For the next twenty seconds or so, survey the field. Try to find someone who's already being chased by one or two other players, but not too much more than that.
    3) Position yourself ahead of the target, using the trajectory of the other players to predict where they're going to go.
    4) At 0:15 or so, move in and make your attempt. This gives you enough time to make a second attempt if the first one fails.
    5) If you get the tail, congratulations! You only have to defend it for about five seconds. If not, rest assured that actually possessing one before this point wouldn't have changed the outcome.

In Team Tail Tag, feel free to be more proactive; as with all team games, try to bully the worst-performing team, since the goal isn't necessarily to have the most tails, but not to have the least.

My tail tag strategy is generally to just grab a tail and hang out at the top of the ramps near the edge of the big central spinny hammer. I have spent so much time just standing there with nobody noticing or coming after me that I think it's actually a bit of a mental fake-out?

Since you can launch yourself with the hammer, jump/dive to the next ramp over, or fall down and run away, people just don't bother with that they think to be an imminently difficult chase.

And despite this, it's actually a great place to grab a tail as well because folks like to hang out there and are used to people ignoring them. I can pretty regularly get one and keep it by hopping ramp to ramp, stealing one...and then just doing exactly what the other person was doing once I get away from them.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    your daily dose of existential terror

uc3ufTB.png
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    My tailtag strategy is to chase people and hug them because it's fun

Just like my Perfect Match strategy is to wave goodbye and get a drink

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »

Slime Climb used to be my worst round until I learnt THE SECRET.

Here is THE SECRET: Slime climb is not about being fast, it is about being accurate.

Wait for the crowd at any obstacle to clear, then attempt, at the balance beams take the left hand beam, everyone tries to crowd onto the Right. At the block pushes, do them one at a time, there's no reward for being fast only punishment for falling off.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    I really wish there were personal stats available. I want to see my qualification rate sub divided by round.

First round see saw still seems like an elimination for me every time despite always qualifying in the later rounds.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

Quick early morning game before going to work. 4 Hackers in the lobby.

Sigh.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular

Here is THE SECRET: Slime climb is not about being fast, it is about being accurate.

Wait for the crowd at any obstacle to clear, then attempt, at the balance beams take the left hand beam, everyone tries to crowd onto the Right. At the block pushes, do them one at a time, there's no reward for being fast only punishment for falling off.

Oh I know. I just somehow always have a hard time making the jump to the second part of the balance beam, even when it's totally clear.

BLM - ACAB

Oh I know. I just somehow always have a hard time making the jump to the second part of the balance beam, even when it's totally clear.

Me too!

So let me tell you the REAL SECRET!

Make sure your camera is aligned perfectly square behind you when do the balance beams. I went from flubing the jump every time to perfect execution once I sorted the camera.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm not sure whether it applies to Slimb Climb specifically (being a Survival round rather than a Race), but there are game types where you get more Kudos for better placements. So don't just sit around taunting if you arrive early.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    finally, 10 crowns

i want the beefy emote so bad but I must sit on this 10 for the fancy skin emergency buy

7yh4xczljsym.png
    edited September 2020
    I'd take a couple weeks off, partly because I was focused on other games (and other things), partly because I had a dry spell and hadn't gotten any crowns since like the first week.

First game back I won on Jump Showdown.

Edit: in the followup show, I got to round 3, Block Party, and a cheater was moving at high speed so I was trying to grab and block them. Eventually, I was in front getting through walls and they came running at top speed to make the gap and knocked me off but I'm pretty sure eliminated themself in the process, which I'll count as a victory of a different sort.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

Any time a cheater is eliminated everyone wins.

I am so glad I got 10 crowns in time for this gato roboto skin

I'm probably gonna pull the trigger then feel very bad if they do a metal wolf or carrion skin in devolver published crossover stuff

7yh4xczljsym.png
    finally, 10 crowns

i want the beefy emote so bad but I must sit on this 10 for the fancy skin emergency buy

I'm at seven right now and I want to buy the heart texture so bad.

But yeah, what if something amazing pops up in two days? I mean I'm likely going to be a banana until next season lets me be a wizard, but still!

Actually, on that topic, have they explicitly outlined what the intentions are for the shared store content that changes every few days?

Does it loop back around to what was on there before? Will it do that next season?

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    Actually, on that topic, have they explicitly outlined what the intentions are for the shared store content that changes every few days?

Does it loop back around to what was on there before? Will it do that next season?
    I don't think anybody knows. There's been a lot of stuff in there that hasn't repeated yet.

Christ, that was a hell of a run. I had a friend join to help after winning the third one, but then he disconnected as we started the fifth episode. That round had a game of Tail Tag too where I managed to nab a tail with a diving grab in the last few seconds.

Thankfully I got pretty lucky on the final round of Hex-a-Gone. I don't think I was mentally ready to deal with a tough round.

Man, I have to figure out the slight lag issue I have.

It's fine for 99% of the time, but the tiny little bit that is off from what my the game is telling me is real just meant that the guy right behind me took my first Fall Mountain win out of my hands.

Also it's weird to get to a round of jump showdown and see everyone else getting hit by by the bar, and then warping into having jumped it last second.

!GoodBot

Real strong, facetious.

It's fine for 99% of the time, but the tiny little bit that is off from what my the game is telling me is real just meant that the guy right behind me took my first Fall Mountain win out of my hands.

Also it's weird to get to a round of jump showdown and see everyone else getting hit by by the bar, and then warping into having jumped it last second.
    Yeah, these kind of latency issues are normal. You learn to just accept after awhile that a person who is directly behind you on your screen is probably a few steps ahead of you on their screen.

Yeah, these kind of latency issues are normal. You learn to just accept after awhile that a person who is directly behind you on your screen is probably a few steps ahead of you on their screen.

Fair enough, then.

I suppose that the problem will probably diminish over time as well. With how popular the game is, there's no way that more server upgrading and optimizing isn't going to take place.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Interesting thread.

TL;DR

The original plan for fall guys anti-cheat was to shove the cheaters into their own hopper (Known as Cheater Island), away from non-cheaters, but that possibly lead to footage of games filled with cheaters, so they've shitcanned that idea an are just banning cheaters outright.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

as excited as I am for new courses, I'm really stoked for tweaks and/or variations to existing ones

as excited as I am for new courses, I'm really stoked for tweaks and/or variations to existing ones

Yeah, there's quite a bit in those pictures that will spice things up. Hell, wrecking balls aside, it looks like the last spinning platform on dizzy heights is reversed. If that's random, and the early ones are random too, then figuring out a good route will be a lot trickier.

That is a really interesting thread about cheater island

7yh4xczljsym.png

as good as the accessibility options are, that second tweet also announces that the course changes/anti-cheat update is planned to drop within the week

After a lot of time without a win, I managed three within a couple hours last night.

Including my first Fall Mountain win, finally!

Turns out the trick for me was to stay the hell away from everybody else and just be smart about what I do, versus just taking the "safest" route. The realization that the thing hitting me the most was another flailing person was a gamechanger.

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Twitter is apparently an app populated entirely by people who believe that the artists working on textures are also handling server coding and cheat detection.

Mwx884o.jpg
    edited September 2020
    Twitter is apparently an app populated entirely by people who believe that the artists working on textures are also handling server coding and cheat detection.

that's just gamers, broadly

they don't understand how game developments works, and they especially don't understand how long things take or how specialized individual developers are

edit: the patch is coming today

TheySlashThem on
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Dynamic map variants I feel is the patch note literally everyone whose played more than a few sessions of the game have being gasping for.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    This is an awesome update pack!

God, I absolutely can't wait to play this evening. This update looks like a big deal.