As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trailers: A Brief History

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Here's a pretty bad trailer for a possibly decent movie starring Chloe Bennet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZNI1tGIoT0

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Enola Holmes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d0Zf9sXlHk

I thought it was a mini series but it's a movie. It looks like it actually has money for being a Netflix film and looks decent enough, although they lean a bit too much into rebel girl cliche. That's right, a girl wants to play football!

(The bad guy is probably Mycroft Holmes.)

i hope someone reloads their arms in this movie

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    ...uhhh Enola Holmes looks like one of my most anticipated movies in a long while. I don't care if it was cliche in parts I liked it :D

I didn't even notice the main girl was Eleven until the credits, but hey, all the more reason!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    ...uhhh Enola Holmes looks like one of my most anticipated movies in a long while. I don't care if it was cliche in parts I liked it :D

I didn't even notice the main girl was Eleven until the credits, but hey, all the more reason!

Yea the long hair threw me. It looks real fun too. Some interesting 4th wall breaks.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    That looks pretty good, possibly because it makes the two holdovers from the last (not very good) film less central, making me think they'll be small parts of the movie. Maybe an interrogation scene with Blofeld and a couple of scenes with Lea Seydoux.

It's a crashing shame they botched Blofeld in Spectre, poisoning the well for any future appearances.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Rami Malek's character appears to be both the strange goon and the mastermind in a chair. That's pretty uncommon for Bond villains, no?

Oh brilliant
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Rami Malek's character appears to be both the strange goon and the mastermind in a chair. That's pretty uncommon for Bond villains, no?

wasn't Javier Bardem basically the same in Skryfall?

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Netflix has me hyped for Enola Holmes and Babysitter 2

No Time To Die looks WAY to Mission Impossible 5-6 to me. It looks like it's going into Fast and Furious territory.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

That
    When they halo drop out of a Big Plane, and it folds out into a sleek, two passenger mini jet, where later in the trailer, it refolds back into a submarine as soon as they land and descend into the ocean!?
    , made me go, Holy Shit!

This will be a good Bond. Mendes has done a great job with this Iteration of Bond. This will be before the future eventual reboot ,when MGM gives this franchise to Nolan.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

That
    When they halo drop out of a Big Plane, and it folds out into a sleek, two passenger mini jet, where later in the trailer, it refolds back into a submarine as soon as they land and descend into the ocean!?
    , made me go, Holy Shit!

This will be a good Bond. Mendes has done a great job with this Iteration of Bond. This will be before the future eventual reboot ,when MGM gives this franchise to Nolan.

Yeah, but like, what if Patterson doesnt fuck up batman?

steam_sig.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

That
    , made me go, Holy Shit!

Pretty sure it also shows some
    secret island base
    shots as well.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Absalon on
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I really hope they can find the heart in this story. So many characters are schemers and heady thinkers, detached and goal-oriented.

But, plot spoilers:
    When Paul joins the Fremen, he’s a child, and he has two moments that are kind of heart breaking. First he has to kill somebody, which he’s never done, and it fucks him up. Later, when everybody is in their drugged up state, he cries for all the people who will die if he can’t find another path. Just this kid reckoning with all this horrible guilt that’s basically been forced upon him.

There’s not much warm humanity in that series, but I think what little there is makes the first book a classic.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    I really hope they can find the heart in this story. So many characters are schemers and heady thinkers, detached and goal-oriented.

But, plot spoilers:
    When Paul joins the Fremen, he’s a child, and he has two moments that are kind of heart breaking. First he has to kill somebody, which he’s never done, and it fucks him up. Later, when everybody is in their drugged up state, he cries for all the people who will die if he can’t find another path. Just this kid reckoning with all this horrible guilt that’s basically been forced upon him.

There’s not much warm humanity in that series, but I think what little there is makes the first book a classic.

The story as it's laid out in the book is simply bonkers. One of the many factors which goes into making it difficult to adapt. There is almost too much to do in bringing it out of a book and onto a screen.

This trailer, however, gives me hope that they've managed to do it and not make it boring.

Which is the cliff those other adaptations fell of off. It's so easy to become boring with this material.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Disappointed that the DUNE trailer wasn't set to a sad-girl cover of Weapon of Choice.

Pink Floyd’s kind of a weird choice, though I could make the themes match-up well enough.

But I know somebody in marketing picked it because the last word of the song is moon, which rhymes with Dune.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »

Wormsign, the lies of which ghhhaaAAAAAaad has never seen.

5gsowHm.png
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »

Holy shit day one, no questions!

• Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    I thought it was a brilliant choice given Paul's secret name and how he comes by it. I'm pretty sure I heard someone in the trailer call him that, too.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
    edited September 2020
    Oh that combination killed for me, personally. I love my trippy music and trippy sci-fi getting all into each other.

But it’s marketing, so I think it’s less (theme spoilers?)
    Everything is in sync and connected and in a life cycle, but there’s a horrible future coming to eclipse all of that which can’t be prevented...

...and more that moon rhymes with dune.

OneAngryPossum on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Oh that combination killed for me, personally. I love my trippy music and trippy sci-fi getting all into each other.

But it’s marketing, so I think it’s less (theme spoilers?)
    Everything is in sync and connected and in a life cycle, but there’s a horrible future coming to eclipse all of that which can’t be prevented...

...and more that moon rhymes with dune.

We can't know but I'm very happy it works on both levels.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Disappointed that the DUNE trailer wasn't set to a sad-girl cover of Weapon of Choice.

Muad'ib already has an official theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGKl1-Fot14

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I keep thinking I oughtta read Dune.

I've never seen the movie.

But this trailer looks good.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Also I thought I recognized that guy. He played King Henry V in The King. Good movie.

RT800 on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    There is only one Dune trailer.
    And I'm too lazy to look it up and paste it here.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I'm hype as fuck for Dune, which is interesting because the book isn't very close to my heart. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like it, and am currently rereading it (and not even as preparation for the movie). The world is super neat. I'm just not head-over-heels for the book.

but yeah I'm so fucking ready for Villeneuve's crack at an adaptation.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    There is only one Dune trailer.
    And I'm too lazy to look it up and paste it here.

I gotcha back!

https://youtu.be/2B6jgkcANRE

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    That looks pretty good but a) it’s only the first half of the book and the second might not even happen and b) the personal shield effect is plainly not as cool as the one in Lynch’s movie.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Dark Side of the Moon makes sense with all of the lyrics about intergalactical love and "I'll be waiting for you" given how much they played up Paul dreaming of Chani in the trailer.

Open up the curtains
    Window watching, people killing, robbing
    The sky is falling, falling down
    It turn into news and this is the apocalypse
    People living on their rocket ships
    My mama always told me that there would be no stopping this
    Fireball reflections on the friends and the pictures in my room, of I and you
    Tell me will I see you soon
    Meet you on the moon?

And that works pretty well for the invasion imagery they were showing too and his dreaming of the future but not being able to stop it.

Or it could just be because moon rhymes with Dune.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I re-read Dune about a month ago.

It was incredible being able to see pretty much every scene from the trailer and almost instantly recognize where it was in the book. Like.. no questions asked. Even little things. Sure, a couple I didn't recognize, and Drax/Bautista kind of pulled me out of the moment, but still.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Converting the water of life is supposed to be super trippy, so maybe Floyd works? But is that going to happen if this is just part one?

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    reposting my comment in the movies thread, because it is more appropriate here:

The trailer didn't really give me the hype I was hoping for. I'm with you, Arrival wasn't my bag, but Blade Runner 2049 is, I think, the best movie I've ever seen (not my favorite, but that's a longer discussion) and I've been eagerly awaiting this.

It just lacked...something. Dune is a very deliberate book, and not an action romp, so I wasn't expecting tons of michael bay action scenes, but it seems like whoever cut the trailer, didn't trust the audience enough to understand the internalized nature of the book, so the trailer is like a weird mishmash of wanting to get non-fans excited, but also try to say "we've got the internal dialogue!", and neither stood out.

I wonder, though, if it was the music. I am so fucking over "edgy" remakes of music that doesn't need an edgy remake. Eclipse is already a song that both says something and has plenty of energy to make the feels. Just fucking license the actual god damned song! I hope someone does a mix with the real song (whatever version, Dark Side of the Moon, off the Eclipse live album, whatever, literally any one would work), and I think it won't be so distracting and take away from the trailer.

Anywhoo, I'm feeling like a debby downer. The casting seems perfect. The atmosphere, the brutilism, all the details, seem spot on. The worm. God the worm. So good! The trailer just felt flat. :(

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to Dune.
    Hope the whole Covid thing is in a considerably more wrapped up place by then, cause I want to see this one on the IMAX screen, and would prefer not worrying about that while doing so.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I can't re
    Athenor wrote: »
    I re-read Dune about a month ago.

It was incredible being able to see pretty much every scene from the trailer and almost instantly recognize where it was in the book. Like.. no questions asked. Even little things. Sure, a couple I didn't recognize, and Drax/Bautista kind of pulled me out of the moment, but still.

I fully expect to just crush it as Rabban. The guy has both the build to a physically imposing monster and the body language to communicate it well. I'm betting he's going to dive into the role much like he did with Drax, except this time to make the character come off as properly cruel and terrifying instead of the goofy, bumbling prior incarnations we've seen for Dune attempts.

I do wonder if this will finally be the Dune attempt where they properly portray Paul as a tragic victim trying to avoid being dragged down by fate over being a mythic hero. He never wanted any of what happens or what he does, but it's all he can do to keep the galaxy from falling into hell.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I still don't care about Dune and it all looked bog standard blockbuster movie, but can you at least leave Eclipse as is and not try to cover it?

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    This makes me want to re-read Dune. It's been a while.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I still don't care about Dune and it all looked bog standard blockbuster movie, but can you at least leave Eclipse as is and not try to cover it?

I mean if anything Dune just proves you can remake overrated garbage as many times as you want.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I keep thinking I oughtta read Dune.

I've never seen the movie.

But this trailer looks good.

the first book is just so damn good

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I'm hype as fuck for Dune, which is interesting because the book isn't very close to my heart. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like it, and am currently rereading it (and not even as preparation for the movie). The world is super neat. I'm just not head-over-heels for the book.

but yeah I'm so fucking ready for Villeneuve's crack at an adaptation.

Denis Villeneuve is pretty good.. Blade Runner 2049 is just a great movie and pretty much a perfect sequel.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.