As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    In my FF D&D thing, the Esper class is kind of like Sorcerer in vanilla D&D. An Esper's control of magic is innate and instinctive, either through bloodline, experimentation, or exposure to some arcane phenomenon. Because of their more intimate connection to the aether, an Esper can do things like cast magic without speaking or making gestures, or boost various aspects of their spells. Members of the Mage classes can also gain access to metamagic techniques, but Espers get them automatically, get the most versatile selection, and get the most potent results for the same MP cost. Their spell list is a grab bag of low to mid level effects from all of the Mage schools, but some fundamental techniques like actual Summon Magic or the Terrain Stances of a Green Mage (Geomancer) are still locked behind initiation into that actual school. Espers have access to some spells that the Mage schools don't, mostly of a versatile Telekinetic/Telepathic variety as a nod to the Esper in X-2. An Esper can also infuse themself with energy in a way that boosts their spell effects but creates a very obviously display that they're using potent battle magic, because their eyes are glowing like spotlights, their body is wreathed in aether flames, they're surrounded by a whirlwind of debris caught in their telekinetic orbit, etc. Whatever visual effect best fit the character's schtick.

The two subclasses are the Psionicist, who leans harder on the Psychic Phenomenon side of things and learns spells that let them fuck with people's minds to a greater degree than anyone else can, or the Avatar whose Spell Trance evolves into an actual physical transformation (or multiple possible transformations if they invest feats into it), conferring additional magical or general combat benefits depending on how the shape gets built, which was how you simulated things like Terra's transformation, Vincent Valentine's different creature forms, or any number of Bosses who turn into some kind of gnarly God Monster halfway through the fight.

Anyway, that crap worked out super well in a TTRPG, but if they did something with the same starting concepts in this game I expect it would look very different.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    I thought I heard that Astrologian lost most of its Time Mage stuff in the transition to Shadowbringers. What does it have now for that?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Enlong wrote: »
    I thought I heard that Astrologian lost most of its Time Mage stuff in the transition to Shadowbringers. What does it have now for that?

Uhhh.

Gravity.

Miqo'te
    The problem with Time Mage in XIV is that Time Mage is all about buffs/debuffs and XIV's class design doesn't allow for support roles.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Thinking of Bangaa jobs, Nu Mou Jobs, etc

Templar, Sage, Cannoneer

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Cactuar
    Yeah I'm playing AST right now and at level 60 I don't have anything that feels like time magic. Though they mentioned a powerful AST that can stop time, I also don't see any abilities on my Job like that look like haste, slow, or stop.

Lalafell
    I think my desires/ideas for jobs include:

* Healer: Cannoneer. (CAN)
    * Mage: Magitek Elite (MTK), or Oracle (ORC)
    * Tank: Judge (JDG)
    * Physical DPS: Berserker (BSK)

Oracle could be based on the job from FFV. Oracles could use Condemn to place timers on allies or enemies that would cast a powerful spell when they expired. They could also use Predict to cast magic with a seemingly random effect (it was actually based on your last MP digit at the time of the cast). This could be a caster job with a hammer as its weapon type, as the closest character we have to model this job on would be Gaia, who similarly has powerful magic that operates on a timer. Its LB could be a particularly powerful Predict action, like Eruption.

Judge would be based on characters like Judgemaster Cid from FFTactics Advance, or the Judges from FFXII. To be honest, the only thing I can think of with this is aesthetics, but characters like Gabranth give us plenty of skill names to pull from, at least.

Berserker's an idea I've had in my head for a little bit. We have Warrior as a Tank who uses an inner rage to fight, so I think an actual Berserker could instead lean into alternate takes on the job, such as Gau or Umaro from FFVI. Gau could learn the ways of beasts and monsters, and enter specific rages based on them. I think a Berserker job could have a gimmick where you'd activate a specific Rage, and it would force you into a combo that lasts for several GCDs without further input from you; your influence over the rages would be OGCD attacks and the like.
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Yeah I'm playing AST right now and at level 60 I don't have anything that feels like time magic. Though they mentioned a powerful AST that can stop time, I also don't see any abilities on my Job like that look like haste, slow, or stop.

The time stop thing is probably a reference to AST’s level 3 Limit Break: Celestial Stasis. It’s a reference to a skill used by an Astrologian in Final Fantasy Tactics, sometimes translated as Galaxy Stop.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    9gy3wk1yq5m51.png

The English translation team strikes again!

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Cactuar
    Time Mage could work, you just make it all self buffs. So it has a bunch of spells that are DoTs that do OK damage and have a debuff of some kind, then if they cast Haste they become big damage spells that cost big mana but no debuff, slow makes the DoTs last longer, meaning the debuff is stronger but less damage, and the debuffs make them take more damage from your attacks, so its about balancing the Haste/Slow phases.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    In my opinion AST is a unique class that came from drawing on inspiration from classes like Time Mage, Geomancer, and Gambler in order to craft something that worked in an MMO environment

liEt3nH.png
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    FFV Advance had a Necromancer job, but with that being a (nearly-impossible to get) title already, it's probably out.

Also, would be very hard to justify lore-wise. Like only "Void Mage" would be worse.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Roegadyn
    I thought AST was inspired by Oran Durai fromFinal Fantasy Tactics.

Javen on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Badablack wrote: »
    The game is hinting pretty heavily at chemists being a new healer job in the newest MSQ.

I'm very skeptical that that bit was a hint.
    It read to me more as this kid being excited by the idea of heroes going into the world to help people, and wanting to metaphorically "fight" by becoming a traveling doctor. But not like, going out to fight monsters like the soldiers who went out to be heroes.

Some folks have said that Alisaie has an optional line in that quest that hints at it, but I can't remember what it was, and haven't been able to find a video showing that quote yet.

Mind you, I would like something along the lines of Chemist. My idea has been to combine it with Cannoneer. In FFV's remakes, Cannoneer could mix items with ammo to make special cannon shots with a variety of effects; in this way, it was similar to Chemist, which FFV also introduced. And in Tactics A2, Cannoneer could fill their hand-cannon with special ammo to alter their next shot, and had Potion Shell and Ether Shell as abilities to shoot allies with healing effects. Combine the three jobs, and you could have a ranged healer using hand-cannons to shoot special mixed potions at allies, or poisons at the enemy.

The thing about that whole sequence is that oftentimes nothing in this game is introduced without a reason, it's always a setup for something else.
    And to have a whole sequence dragging around the most adorable kid on the First was too conspicuous a sideline to go nowhere with. While I wouldn't immediately jump to "new healing class" as the endpoint for this, I will at least wager they are leading into something with her.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I want a new caster for next xpac, but I feel like they've kinda used all the traditional caster like weapons already for other classes (and I don't think they want to repeat weapon types despite having BLM/WHM and SCH/SMN basically share models).

What I really want is a melee caster, maybe a Rune Knight type class with a hammer? Could play like an inverse Red Mage or something, instant cast spells and weaponskills most of the time, then spend resources on big flashy channeled spells with a cast time. Throw in some rune based ground aoes, maybe some targeted buffs or whatever, and I think there's enough design space to differentiate it from PLD/RDM.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Lalafell
    Donnicton wrote: »
    The game is hinting pretty heavily at chemists being a new healer job in the newest MSQ.

It read to me more as this kid being excited by the idea of heroes going into the world to help people, and wanting to metaphorically "fight" by becoming a traveling doctor. But not like, going out to fight monsters like the soldiers who went out to be heroes.

Some folks have said that Alisaie has an optional line in that quest that hints at it, but I can't remember what it was, and haven't been able to find a video showing that quote yet.

Mind you, I would like something along the lines of Chemist. My idea has been to combine it with Cannoneer. In FFV's remakes, Cannoneer could mix items with ammo to make special cannon shots with a variety of effects; in this way, it was similar to Chemist, which FFV also introduced. And in Tactics A2, Cannoneer could fill their hand-cannon with special ammo to alter their next shot, and had Potion Shell and Ether Shell as abilities to shoot allies with healing effects. Combine the three jobs, and you could have a ranged healer using hand-cannons to shoot special mixed potions at allies, or poisons at the enemy.

The thing about that whole sequence is that oftentimes nothing in this game is introduced without a reason, it's always a setup for something else.
    And to have a whole sequence dragging around the most adorable kid on the First was too conspicuous a sideline to go nowhere with. While I wouldn't immediately jump to "new healing class" as the endpoint for this, I will at least wager they are leading into something with her.
    Seemed to me its purpose was entirely related to the patch’s story. Her interlude showed us that the citizens’ desire to be heroes and go out to help people was there before Elidibus’s starshower demonstration, that there are many who still want to help, and that because of them, there will be people to take care of the First once we leave. She and her aspiring soldier friends are an example of the future of the First.

I honestly would not be surprised if we don't see any non-BLU style new classes next expansion. Like new races, we're going to run into a position where there isn't enough design time to keep up with new classes in the patch cycle. I am hopeful that there are new toys, but I am pretty braced for the likelihood of the alternative

liEt3nH.png
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Chemist as Healer, some kind of Garlean hammer-user as Tank (e.g. Nero, Grynewaht, etc.). Every role now has four classes (BLU is grouped with magical DPS, sorry).

SOLDIER as a job runs into issues with the weapons probably overlapping a bit too much with Dark Knight, I think?

Neveron wrote: »
    Chemist as Healer, some kind of Garlean hammer-user as Tank (e.g. Nero, Grynewaht, etc.). Every role now has four classes (BLU is grouped with magical DPS, sorry).

SOLDIER as a job runs into issues with the weapons probably overlapping a bit too much with Dark Knight, I think?

you have given tanking 5 classes

liEt3nH.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Roegadyn
    I really, really hope we at least get a new healer. I'm also on team Chemist/Cannoneer healer and DPS Mystic Knight. Personally I'd like Mystic Knight to share maiming gear with DRG.

WRT AST, it definitely has Time Mage as part of it's inspiration. Ishgardian astralogians all where hats that are very similar to the hats Time Mages have in FF5 and FF Tactics.

Also I personally think that more limited jobs is pretty unlikely. BLU went over pretty badly, and the BLU content for this xpac just kinda got pushed out the door with no fan fair.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
    i honestly think they should just rework the physical dps classes to have the same gear it's absurd that there's three different melee gear sets

liEt3nH.png
    Miqo'te
    I honestly would not be surprised if we don't see any non-BLU style new classes next expansion. Like new races, we're going to run into a position where there isn't enough design time to keep up with new classes in the patch cycle. I am hopeful that there are new toys, but I am pretty braced for the likelihood of the alternative

That's why I would say the most likely class addition is just Chemist as a healer, but the big knock against that is that healer is the role they have the most trouble with.

Lalafell
    So I mentioned Cannoneer for Healer.

For Caster, I had been thinking of Oracle. In FFV’s remakes, Oracle is a caster job based on predictions. Condemn puts a timer on a friend or foe, and casts a spell when the timer expires. Predict casts massively powerful spells seemingly at random, but it’s actially based on your MP at the time. I think FFXIV could use this concept to make a caster job that applies debuffs that launch a spell when they expire. You could even fold in Time Mage stuff here, by specifically applying time effects to the Condemn timers. It could be a caster that wields hammers, similar to Gaia, who conveniently has similar spell gimmicks.

But I wouldn’t mind Magitek Elite as a caster either; you could funnel your MP into a gauge for your magitek weapon, and use it to launch missiles and stuff. Or something.

And for a melee DPS, I have been thinking about Berserker. Warrior has elements of inner rage, so a full Berserker job could take elements from variants such as FFVI’s Gau, who uses a variety of rages inspired by beasts and monsters. This could have a gimmick where each Rage would have you unstoppably use certain attacks for several GCDs in a row, with OGCD skills used to alter or aim your rages.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Au'ra

Seemed to me its purpose was entirely related to the patch’s story. Her interlude showed us that the citizens’ desire to be heroes and go out to help people was there before Elidibus’s starshower demonstration, that there are many who still want to help, and that because of them, there will be people to take care of the First once we leave. She and her aspiring soldier friends are an example of the future of the First.
    I feel like the expansion's quests and characters up to that point have done a fine job with that already. The conspicuous part is the fact that they introduced Brand New Character just to cover this short point rather than if they were going to simply reiterate it using the plentiful existing cast of side characters.

Donnicton on
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Hyur
    For those of you who haven't seen me ramble about it in the TTRPG threads, the class list I wound up distilling from multiple Final Fantasies for the D&D game looked like this, although only about 2/3rds of these reached a playable state. An important aspect of this list of 30 goddamn classes was that they were only 10 level progressions, even though max character level was 20. To go all the way to 20th level, you would have to multiclass at least once. Multiclassing was redesigned to be very easy and convenient anyway, because half the fun of most FF games with the Job System is mixing and matching abilities between power sets.
    The Original Six: These were the classes held by the first six Warriors of Light, and because of that they have a position of widespread respect. Training in these classes is available pretty much anywhere.
    - Monk: Powerful unarmed and unarmored brawlers who use Stance techniques to shape their internal aether in ways that modify their capabilities, and can manifest some spell-like effects as a function of spiritual discipline.
    - Thief: Swift and covert killers who favor a daggers, and learn to invest their internal aether so fully into the concept of stealing that they can rob an enemy of abstract concepts like their willpower or their initiative.
    - Fighter: A versatile heavy armored combatant who often focuses a one-handed axe and shield, but can learn to use the widest variety of weapon types, and switch between weapons quickly and seamlessly to chain together different techniques.
    - Black Mage (Wizards): A school of spellcasting focused on filtering the six Terrestrial Elements through the Celestial Element of Darkness, to generate powerful control and damage effects. Favor staffs as magic foci, and also put some minimal effort into learning to hit people with them.
    - White Mage (Chaplains): A school of spellcasting focused on filtering the six Terrestrial Elements through the Celestial Element of Light, to generate powerful healing and protection effects.
    - Red Mage (Sorcerers): More than just a blend of Black Magic, White Magic, and Swordplay. By studying how the martial classes channel their internal aether to generate effects beyond the reach of ordinary combatants, and developing spells that emulate these techniques to empower their light fencing swords, Red Mages discovered a whole array of battle magic that was previously unknown to other schools.

The Orders of the Four Corners: In ancient times, the allied nations surrounding the World Tree united their resources to raise a vast wall between themselves and the monster-haunted wilderness on the edges of their continent. Four orders of Knights were commissioned to each protect a quadrant of the wall from unique local threats. Recently, the EMPIRE breached the East Wall, and as far as anyone knows the order of Mystic Knights that stood vigil there were eradicated. A group of refugees from imperial aggression in the Far East had come seeking shelter behind the wall not long before that attack, and the group of warriors who had protected them in their exile has stepped up to replace the Mystic Knights. A member of these classes probably got their initial training on their order's section of the Wall, but they are usually allowed to go out into the world and gain some experience after their first year of vigil, and many adventurers who don't formally join the Orders still learn their fighting styles.
    - Paladins (Holy Knights): A style mixing swords and shields, heavy armor, and limited White Magic, the Paladins protect the South Wall from the ancient undead who run rampant in the vast desert on that end of the continent.
    - Dragoons (Dragon Knights): The undisputed champions of combat mobility, using polearms and a mix of esoteric techniques developed from studying the Dragons who threaten the West Wall, both how to slay them, and how to emulate them.
    - Dark Knights (Reavers): Greatswords, scythes, and Black Magic, all enhanced by the sacrifice of the wielder's life force. Dark Knights ride a self-destructive edge, sustaining themselves with vampiric techniques that they can use without moral quandry on the mad Constructs beyond the North Wall.
    - Samurai: Extraordinarily skilled swordsmen who use Katanas in battle, and pursue a counter-heavy style of combat that takes place just as much on a level of strategic planning as it does in the actual exchange of blows. It's said that if a Samurai swings first, it's only because they feel utter contempt for their foe. To deal with the Demons that still threaten the intact parts of the East Wall, they have revived certain techniques of Exorcism that were once used to face similar threats in their homeland, but mostly they are on the front line of holding back the EMPIRE.

The Hidden Schools: For various reasons, some of the schools of magic aren't as public as the Black, White, and Red schools. The leaders of the Six Schools do coordinate their efforts to promote the safe use of magic and keep the peace between their members, and often the best way to get introduced to a Blue, Green, or Grey Mage is to prove yourself trustworthy to a high ranking Black, White, or Red Mage first. The fourth Hidden School isn't actually a formal School yet, but could become one if its practitioners ever showed any inclination to organize.
    - Blue Mages (Warlocks): Blue Mages use all eight Elements about equally, as well as a fair amount of non-elemental magic, but unlike their Red Mage peers, their art doesn't really resemble a blend of White and Black Magic. The root of Blue Magic is stealing and imitating the aether-manipulating abilities of monsters. This gives them something of an unsavory reputation, especially because advanced practitioners sometimes develop permanent monstrous traits. They also study swordplay with their versatile Scimitars to help them beat up monsters enough to extract their secrets.
    - Grey Mages (Sages): While White Mages learn a little bit how to manipulate Time, and Black Mages how to warp Space, the root of Grey Magic is delving deeper into these aspects of the Celestial Elements, and the scholarship of Magic itself, digging deep into effects that are too esoteric for the more focused schools. Alone among Mage Schools, Grey Mages teach no non-magical combat at all, not even the use of staves and clubs.
    - Green Mages (Geomancers): Probably the oldest style of magic in the world, but only recently organized into a formal School. Green Magic uses the Terrestrial Elements only, and works by forming a much more intimate connection with environmental aether than usual, spreading one's consciousness out into the terrain and even the weather, and directing them as a normal person would direct their own limbs. Green Mages often use ritual bells as a spellcasting focus, but heavy two-handed hammers are also popular, for a more hands-on approach to terrain manipulation.
    - Gamblers (Gold Mages): A relatively new phenomenon, linked to the rise of Gil as a near-universal currency. Gil Coins incorporate a sliver of crystal embedded in their centers, making them nearly impossible to counterfeit... and meaning that money accumulates a magical charge as it changes hands. Gamblers draw out the magic of Money to generate powerful, if often random effects. Gold Magic is either so subtle as to be undetectable to anything but the closest magical scrutiny, or else super obvious with all kinds of flashy aether disturbances, often with a casino or astrology theme. There really is no in between for Gamblers. They also favor throwing weapons, often shaped like game paraphernalia, like darts, dice used as caltrops, or razor edged playing cards. About a half dozen individuals seem to have independently discovered Gold Magic, and while several of them have trained apprentices, none of them seem at all interested in organizing their ranks into a formal School.

The Wilderness Guides: Even inside of the Wall, there's a lot of untamed territory between the various city states. Outside of the Wall, there's nothing but ruins, imperial outposts, and vast spans of monster territory. Adventurers who are comfortable spending an extended period in these regions are few and far between. These jobs are prone to visit cities much more rarely than their peers, so getting training as one of them can be a little tricky unless you wait patiently near where they're known to stop for supplies.
    - Beastmasters: A few rugged individuals have learned how to sculpt their aether so that they can more easily befriend and communicate with animals. Some of these forge a strong connection with a single creature, while others form shorter term alliances with whatever local animals can help them. Beastmasters are skilled with Whips, although they'd never even think of using them to strike their beloved companions.
    - Marauder: Big burly brawlers who love two-handed axes, and get so tough that they may not even need armor. In the different Final Fantasy games, there have been a lot of takes on Strong Weapon Armor Guy, too many to jam into the Fighter class alone. All the stuff that had a function of hitting someone so hard you reduce their stats, or maneuvers that expose you to some risk in exchange for a stronger attack like several D&D Barbarian techniques, wound up in the Marauder class. A lot of the time, this Fighter 2 kind of class is some sort of Pirate, so I named them for the FF14 Marauders.
    - Rangers: Archers who can move swiftly through wilderness while avoiding detection as well as any Thief or Ninja, and track prey across a continent. Rangers have a lot of precision weakness-targeting techniques, and the ability to invest traps with a portion of their personal aether for greater potency.
    - Berserker: A mostly unarmed combat style, although claw weapons are also popular, and many Berserkers are strong enough to use huge two-handed clubs, or throw heavy objects, including other medium sized creatures! Berserkers aren't just about flipping out and biting people, they learn to fight like specific beasts, studying their internal aether techniques the same way Blue Mages study their spells.

The Subtle Operatives: Some jobs are regularly encountered in populated areas, but unless the member of that job chooses to explicitly reveal themself, no one may ever know that they have character levels. Each of these jobs is more adept in some way at subtlety, and usually at an elite tier of an otherwise mundane profession. There are many minstrels and musicians, but few with Bard levels, for example.
    - Dancer: A mixture of martial arts and morale manipulation. Dancers are skilled at bolstering allies, confounding foes, and kicking the living crap out of things, all while looking incredibly stylish. Of all the jobs, a Dancer probably has the easiest time harming an enemy without onlookers realizing that a fight is actually happening.
    - Bard: Using aether to enhance music straddles the border between martial technique and spell. Bards are particularly skilled at weaving subtle mind-altering effects in a large crowd. Bardic instruments are often modified to serve as weapons as well, although their training in using them that way won't be quite as robust as a more focused class.
    - Commander: Some people get so good at telling others what to do that they can invest their very words with aether. Basically, I really liked the Warlord class in D&D 4E, and thought something similar would be a good fit here, even though this isn't a skill set with particularly broad representation in FF games.
    - Ninja: The Samurai weren't the only elite fighting order hidden among the refugees from the East. Ninjas are skilled at dual wielding light weapons, especially daggers, and also very good with throwing weapons. They are a hybrid class, although Ninjutsu offers a mix of elemental and illusion based magic that doesn't map clearly to any of the Mage orders, hinting at another possible School of magic that could fully develop illusions as its focus.

The Imperial Technicians: The EMPIRE originated on a small island that was poor in crystal resources, necessitating that their academic focus shift to technology rather than magic. Once they swept out beyond their homeland and began conquering more magic-rich territories, their troops incorporated aether fueled techniques into these disciplines as well, but each job remains noteworthy for still being very strong even when aether is unavailable. Spies and imperial defectors have stolen some of these styles and brought them to Alliance realms, but finding a tutor takes some legwork, as these people are usually pretty carefully hidden from Imperial retribution.
    - Machinist: Using an array of tools and gadgets, this is a ranged direct damage class that feels a little bit like a D&D Wizard, using limited inventory slots as spell slots instead of MP as a primary resource. Also decent with guns, especially the weird gimmicky guns they build themselves.
    - Gunner: Guns come in quite a few varieties, and all Imperial classes gain some proficiency, but the Gunner class can pick up any firearm and handle it like an expert. Some of the powers they pick up are for doing wild trick shots, or reducing the typical drawbacks of their weapons like reload times and noise.
    - Alchemist: As a Machinist is to Black Mage, an Alchemist is to White Mage, using an inventory slot system instead of MP to manage an array of healing and protective effects. They often wield tranquilizer pistols as a backup, and throw bombs and poison sprays as well.
    - Armiger: The Gunblade class, using the sword as a channel for technomagical reactions fueled by cartridges of aether-infused explosive powder. Popularized by the personal bodyguards of three generations of emperors, but somewhat fallen out of favor after a former leader defected and took his blade to the Alliance.

The Forbidden Paths: Training in one of these jobs is not easy to come by at all, and if a player starts with or obtains levels in them, that's likely to become a focal element of the campaign.
    - Esper: As described in my last post, your magic is innate, possibly because you're descended from some potent entity, or possibly because you've been subjected to horrible experiments. You can cast spells as naturally as most people breath, and may be able to transform into a supernatural shape that reflects your inner power for a short duration.
    - Summoner (Rainbow Mage): The Six Schools shun Summoners, officially because Summoning involves the evocation of entities dormant within the Protocrystals, causing local manifestations of gods, monsters, and ancient heroes out of sculpted aether. The Mage Schools say they're not sure if doing risks damaging those vital magical resources, but in truth it's been very carefully studied, and the risk is minimal. The actual reason Summoners are shunned is because it's impossible to teach Summoning without also incidentally teaching Necromancy, the art of calling Demons and either building them a new body just as one would with an Elemental Eidolon, or else binding them to the bodies of the Dead, which is much cheaper and easier. Every Summoner is a Necromancer (Void Mage) waiting to happen, no matter how good their intentions seem... or so the Six Schools say. Despite this, Summoning is relatively common among Moogles, who know more about the Protocrystals than anyone else, and who have much stronger cultural animosity towards Demons.
    - Mimics: Mimicry is probably extraterrestrial or even extradimensional in origin, and uncertainty about the agenda of their founders makes people very nervous about them, even before considering the sinister potential uses of their power set. A Mimic learns to sculpt their aether into an exact copy of another person, duplicating their mannerisms and skills, their physical appearance and voice with a little more effort, and even their aether-fueled techniques and spells! An especially skilled Mimic can assemble duplicates of magic items worn or wielded by their target, congealing them out of ambient aether.
    - Judges: It was a little known secret that the Judges of the EMPIRE and the Mystic Knights (Runeblades) who once guarded the East Wall were originally part of the same order, and because of that it's no wonder the EMPIRE was so thorough in wiping out traces of the Mystic Knights. At its heart, this style is about manipulating other's aether, imposing limits on its use, or nullifying it entirely. Those who hearken back to the style of the Mystic Knights often use greatswords, but Judges often develop idiosyncratic multiclass combat styles to take advantage of the gaps in the array of Laws they most prefer to inflict on a battlefield.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn

I feel like the expansion's quests and characters up to that point have done a fine job with that already. The conspicuous part is the fact that they introduced Brand New Character just to cover this short point rather than if they were going to simply reiterate it using the plentiful existing cast of side characters.
    I think after 5.2's conclusion ending with a bunch of warriors going to literally follow in Ardbert and crew's footsteps, starting 5.3 with a 'not all heroes wear capes' moment to A) display that you don't need to wield a weapon to help people and B) that Ardlidibus' message had resonated so thoroughly and completely throughout the populace and that while his goals were obviously disastrous, the message itself, in a vacuum is worth following

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Well this is exciting.
    rW6J83s.png

That's for LTW. I know it's only day 2 but I've got nothing but time on my hands.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Neveron wrote: »

you have given tanking 5 classes

Oh right, whoops, that's what I get for going from memory. A hammer-using job seems like an obvious option given that there's multiple bosses that use that, in any case, and I guess a heavier melee DPS could use that. Probably using Dragoon gear.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    9gy3wk1yq5m51.png

The English translation team strikes again!

their goal with restoration flavor text seems to be "how much more of a hellscape can we turn ishgard into?"

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I feel like Assassin limited job is almost a lock at some point

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    I feel like Assassin limited job is almost a lock at some point

If it means NIN loses Assassinate, then go for it.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    The next Tale from the Shadows is up - Ere Our Curtain Falls, in which the backstory of the Emissary is explored further.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited September 2020
    Lalafell
    The next Tale from the Shadows is up - Ere Our Curtain Falls, in which the backstory of the Emissary is explored further.

A few things come to mind.
    1: Elidibus says he is going to put an end to the one who laid Lahabrea low. We may interpret that to mean this leads to his actions in late Heavensward and Stormblood; starting with sending Ardbert and his crew to kill us. The strange thing with that is that while we did defeat Lahabrea twice, the one who put an end to him was Thordan, using the eye of Nidhogg and his nature as a Primal to consume his aether. But revenge doesn't need to be fully rational. Perhaps, in leiu of being able to do anything to Thordan after we killed him, he's turned his revenge on the ones who "led" Lahabrea to Thordan in the first place.

2: A fire spirit named Ifrita, huh? That's another Primal whose original inspiration seems to have existed before the Sundering (another being Bismarck).

3: That final poem is interesting, though the general theme is nothing particularly new.

4: Interesting that this should be in first-person. "Through His Eyes" was also following emet-selch, but from a third-person narrator.

Enlong on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    alas, poor Haurchefant. I was just thinking how much I liked his voice actor’s goofy optimism.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    alas, poor Haurchefant. I was just thinking how much I liked his voice actor’s goofy optimism.
    I've had Of The Silver Fuller title since completing that quest. Never gonna change, respect to my boy.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Found in Youtube recommendations.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Can someone do me a favor? If I EVER consider pentamelding an accessory piece again, can you tell Square-Enix I’ve been hacked so they lock my account? Thanks.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    BlzNQl6.png

Well shoot. I gotta clean out my drawers.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.