As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Audiophilia: Headphones, Amps, DAPs, and Empty Wallets

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    As much as I'd like mine to show up, I can't really blame them given the current situation. Look in the PC thread for how stock of motherboards and other items are low. Looking at head-fi.org, folks are getting them, so it's probably just a parts thing. Sounds like the EQ app may launch next month as well which if it's when I get my headphones, that's fine by me.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    As long as they're good and don't have issues, I'm not really worried about the delays.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Yeah I checked the comments yesterday as well. Seems from the first 1000 they haven’t shipped many of the international buyers out. Feels like my July order will prob slip to Sept.

Def bummed out

EDIT: Received an update

The rest of the June orders will ship in the fourth week of August, with some units shipping sooner. You’ll know which group you are in by when you receive your backerkit survey.

July orders will also start shipping the fourth week of August.

For August orders we are gathering more information to better understand where we stand at this point. We expect to have more information later this week.

Sounds like early sept is best guess if no other supply issues

Dixon on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Okay, here's a weird thing.

Hulu: The app

I have to use the app on my PC because the web browser quality is garbage. BUT, some stuff comes through with crazy terrible glitching sound. Like, explosive awful death static and no actual sound from the show. Legion season 1 episode 1 worked fine, episode 2 is audio death.

BUT

If I remove my headphones from my amp and DAC stack, and plug into my speakers which are plugged in separately, the horrible death static goes away.

Any idea why it would do this for only certain shows and how I might be able to fix it? I'd much rather watch stuff on my nice amp after all.

edit: And of course, I figured it out as soon as I complained. Hulu app was sending a dolby digital signal to the DAC which can't do that, so I disabled that and it works great.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have any advice for a headset/mic combo that would be used by kids for mainly video chatting for school and friends? They don't have to be amazing quality for music or anything, and huge cans aren't preferable. The main thing is that they would be in the same room and there's a chance that class times might overlap occasionally, so a mic that is good at not pulling noise from further away would be ideal.

Wireless might be preferable, but just working well and not costing a fortune is more important.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    We got our kid this one (for Switch use, but it also works for the PC) -- it's done fine so far (though they are on the bigger and more soundproof side, which is occasionally a pain when trying to get through to him while he has them on).

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    I'm trying to find a good bluetooth receiver to use with my wireless headphones and receiver- not sure if I'm using the right terminology but I want to be able to use my bluetooth headphones with my receiver and from what I understand I need another device that plugs into my receiver that lets my headphones connect to the receiver. Any recommendations?

• Options
    HeraldS wrote: »
    I'm trying to find a good bluetooth receiver to use with my wireless headphones and receiver- not sure if I'm using the right terminology but I want to be able to use my bluetooth headphones with my receiver and from what I understand I need another device that plugs into my receiver that lets my headphones connect to the receiver. Any recommendations?

I'd look at this: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-tbO7FDWuj4B/learn/how-to-add-bluetooth-to-your-home-stereo-system.html

• Options
    I got one of these which is cheap and worked surprisingly well, though I don't know how audiophile-grade it is, I just wanted to use bluetooth headphones with a headphone-jack-only mp3 player.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I got one of these which is cheap and worked surprisingly well, though I don't know how audiophile-grade it is, I just wanted to use bluetooth headphones with a headphone-jack-only mp3 player.
    The great/terrible thing about Bluetooth is that it always compresses the audio in a lossy fashion (although Qualcomm's aptX-HD and Sony's LDAC codecs come close to lossless). You aren't really going to get the highest quality audiophile sound while listening to Bluetooth (and that's okay! I think people know going into it that they are trading the comfort of wireless for the quality of the audio). If your Bluetooth transceiver and headset support aptX-HD or LDAC, though, it's pretty close to CD-quality.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I'm really getting sick and tired of these fucking apps/sites that do not have volume controls and end up blasting the volume to deafness-inducing levels on my PC. Does anyone know of a way to set a maximum output volume across the board so that even if some asinine program decides to set MAX EVERYTHING at the start, it doesn't make me go even more deaf than I already am?

For reference, my Windows system volume is already set to 50%, which I think is more than reasonable given there are plenty of things I already set at max or close-to-max volume.

FYI I found a solution for this via an app called Sound Locker: https://www.3appes.com/sound-lock/

It basically filters audio as it's coming through and automatically lowers your master volume in real time to ensure the output never goes above a certain level. A bit old, but seems to work like a charm.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I'm really getting sick and tired of these fucking apps/sites that do not have volume controls and end up blasting the volume to deafness-inducing levels on my PC. Does anyone know of a way to set a maximum output volume across the board so that even if some asinine program decides to set MAX EVERYTHING at the start, it doesn't make me go even more deaf than I already am?

For reference, my Windows system volume is already set to 50%, which I think is more than reasonable given there are plenty of things I already set at max or close-to-max volume.

FYI I found a solution for this via an app called Sound Locker: https://www.3appes.com/sound-lock/

It basically filters audio as it's coming through and automatically lowers your master volume in real time to ensure the output never goes above a certain level. A bit old, but seems to work like a charm.

*facepalm.jpg* Oh man, this is totally what I intended to link on the last page. Derp!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Got my Drop backerkit email! Hopefully they show up soon, I'm stoked to try them out.

• Options
    Just got my backerkit email. I'm pretty sure I was July, so I think that makes sense based on the last email we got.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah they just charged my taxes today, so I assume it'll ship this week and I'll actually get it next week. I can't wait to try them out though.

• Options
    Oh, I got mine too-

o1pos8q5xxs9.png

Damn it!

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I have no idea when I'm getting mine. I think September, I canceled and reordered for the headphones/mic combo but I'm worried I'm going miss the backer email.

• Options
    Yeah I'm in the July delivery group myself so assuming September as well; not sure if they mean September for backer emails or expect the backer email soonish and delivery in September.

• Options
    Re-checked my email, and I'm in the June group. So I must be at the end of that group. For those in July, I'd imagine backer kit's will be next month and possible October ship given everything we're seeing.

• Options
    Yeah I'm in the July group as well, so prob get the email next month sometime. I grabbed the boom mic so we'll see what happens.

• Options
    I got a curious email in my mailbox from UPS... Sender: Massdrop Outbound. I guess I'm getting these tomorrow.

• Options
    Nice! Let us know how they sound

• Options
    I just got my email as well. They should be here tomorrow. Crazy given my backer kit just showed up.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    So in celebration of a shiny new job I've splurged myself some audiophilings. A set of Behrdynamic 1990 Pros and an iFi Audio ZEN DAC to be precise!

Been pondering a set of open backs for at-home listening for a while now. After some extensive hand wringing and review reading (no audio shops doing demos atm, obvs), I went with these over a set of the Hifiman Sundaras. Their better bass extension and imaging seems to fit hand in hand with my penchant for explodey video games and extreme metal.

Here's hoping the 1990s treble peak doesn't bother my earholes too much...

Now I've got my head round the various audiophile graphs, I took a look at the breakdown on the THX Pandas. They definitely look like an insane piece of kit! Let us know how they sound my dude/ettes!

Campy on
  • Options
    To be honest, I still like my M50's, so not sure how well I'll be able to review compared to true audiophiles haha. I'm mostly interested in the bluetooth performance. Doing chores and things, my BT250's are just not cutting it.

I'll probably let them burn in tonight and then test them out tomorrow.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Pandas showed up! First impressions, they're good cans. It's incredibly nice having bluetooth, but was a little finnicky getting my dongle to pair with them correctly. That's probably more of a Windows 10 error than anything else. The sound is really nice. I got some 320 kbps music playing through Winamp, and the sound is really really close to what the music puts out. Having no wires with this sound is pretty great though, can't really say much more than that.

Some cons. I didn't know this, but the cables it comes with are USB-C to USB-C, and the standard 3.5mm. I thought it was a USB-C to USB-A, and that was a mistake I suppose. So I'm going to need to use an extra USB-C phone charger cable to charge these, as I don't have a USB-C block or port on my tower. Just a small annoyance, but I'm curious if I can use the USB cable to listen wired to my PC while charging. Another thing I'm finding that is annoying is that, if my PC is not outputting any sound, the headphones kind of disconnect? So when I play something there's a 1 second delay before I actually hear anything, and you can hear the sound skip a bit. I'm wondering if that's the headphones or my bluetooth causing that. I'll have to sync them up to my phone to see.

Other than that, I'll give some more impressions throughout the day. My partner has already yelled at me for me not listening to her while she was talking because I couldn't hear her, so hopefully they don't go missing :razz:.

Edit - After some replugging and reconfiguring of my USB stuff, I now have a shorter USB cable going into my keyboard USB hub and charging my Pandas. I can confirm that you can use them this way if you have a USB-A to USB-C, and I don't hear any loss of sound so they must still be using the THX drivers for the USB too. So, dope.

Edit edit - It must be something with the headphones. I synced it up to my phone and it does the same one second of clipped audio before playing correctly. Kind of a bummer. Does anyone have other bluetooth headphones that do this, I.E. is this a known issue with bluetooth? I haven't used bluetooth often. Maybe there's a firmware update or something that could fix the connectivity.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    I have some generic cheap bluetooth headphones, and they don't have the one-second startup delay if Windows hasn't played sound for a while. (though the wireless earbuds I have do have that sort of problem, now I think about it)

• Options
    I'm in the same boat. I don't have any way to plug in a USB-C in. Our phones are Apple, so no dice there.

Since I can't test out the bluetooth, I just plugged them straight into my PC via 3.5mm. First impressions, they are a lot clearer than my M50's. I figured the mid and high range would improve since they are not supposed to be that good on the M50's. However, the downside is that the bass is kind of lacking. Playing some master quality Ameranthe on Tidal, the bass really lacks kick. Funny, the solution was to turn on my Soundblaster Z SBX studio stuff. Only the Bass part, as the Surround and Crystallizer screwed too much with the vocals.

So far that seems to be the best part, the vocal clarity is amazing. Of course I'm only using the 3.5mm connection. The main reason I bought them was for the bluetooth, so I'll be interested to see how well it works out.

The only other negative is that there is quite a bit of clamping pressure on my head. It's not terrible, but quite a bit more than my M50's. The padding is less which may be part of it, as well as that they are brand need and need time to stretch out.

• Options
    I put in a support request as I don't see a driver update or support page on Drop. Maybe they have an updated firmware version.

• Options
    have you tried it on any games yet?

• Options
    Dixon wrote: »
    have you tried it on any games yet?

Just Dota, the directional audio is nice but I think it's because I'm used to listening to open backs rather than closed backs. So it's easier for me to pick up on the smaller details rather than having them lost in the mix.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I'm going to test tonight. Weirdly because of the planer type, I think they have to be closer to your ears, which would make you think the sound stage would be smaller, but it's so accurate, that it sort of re-elevates the sound stage back out.

Can't wait till my charging cable comes in. I'm really interested to see if the THX and other amplification stuff that is only available with bluetooth helps with the bass.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Got my Ifi DAC in the post yesterday, sadly my Behrdynamics are still winging their way von Deutschland. But of course though I'm giving it a run with my V-Modas!

Did some vague attempt at A/B testing with my UCA202, though it was more than a bit clumsy having to switch wires and windows settings. As expected from going from an ultra budget to a entry level DAC the difference wasn't enormous, but the bass especially sounds fatter and more detailed. Definitely picking out bits that I'd not noticed before. Cymbals still sound like trash, but a DAC was never going to fix the M100s on that front! I'm hoping the detail on the DT1990s will really come into play when paired with the new DAC. Certainly it's required to work with the high impedance anyway, so I'm not going to be able to send it back regardless.

Campy on
  • Options
    Get the DT1990s in the post today.

First impressions, why does this sound ba... Oh, my VLC settings are all fucked up.

Second impressions. Holy Fuck. My goosebumps have goosebumps.

• Options
    More 3.5mm Panda impressions:

I don't have a lot of experience with headphones. But I'd guess this is what they call neutral sound since there is just little to no bass. The flip side, precision and clarity are off the charts. With songs that had a strong vocal presence, they really shine. And I can hear instruments that with my M50's I could barely make out, that now sound much clearer. With gaming, I noticed the precision helps with locating things. Played some Deep Rock last night and I was able to find random battery objects (they are hidden and just emit a beeping) way easier. I'd imagine these would help with any FPS game. Also comfort has improved quite a bit.

That said, if I'm playing a single player game, something I want to immerse myself in, I either need to switch on the Soundblaster Z Studio Bass stuff or switch back to my M50's. Playing Ace Combat 7 was just lifeless as the explosions sounded like a balloon popping.

Really looking forward to my USB-C charger coming today so I can test out the bluetooth this weekend. I'm really hoping the THX circuitry has the same effect as the Soundblaster Studio stuff. If so, I'll be a happy camper since I mostly bought these for bluetooth anyways. I know an EQ app is coming as well, which might be useful.

• Options
    First BT impressions:

The THX amp makes a ton of difference. While they are still a bit light on bass for my tastes, everything from the mid range on down sounds way way better than with 3.5mm. I was messing around with MUSI (an app for playing youtube videos with the phone screen off) which has EQ settings and throwing on the Bass setting really helps with certain genres like Rock.

For now early impressions are that they are at least as good as my BT250's; better in that I don't have to deal with the in-ear plugs screwing around and with sound leakage. The EQ app should help a ton as well so that I can kick on a little extra bass for certain genres.

Still have a ton of testing to do with non-rock music to see how they work out.

• Options
    I thought about running it through an EQ as well to see how it sounds, but haven't done that yet. I do have a "general improvements" DSP plugin for Winamp which makes literally everything sound awesome, but I haven't done an EQ calibration with the Pandas yet.

• Options
    I seem to remember when I was headphone shopping how planers are just really neutral by their nature. I think the Nighthawks were one I was looking at that mentioned this. Due to that, I think they take to EQ pretty well. I really like how they sound with the soundblaster bass on. I think an app for EQ with bluetooth would be great, just curious if it would apply that across all apps on your phone or only some supported one?

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Yeah, I'm not sure.

Also, some sad news but I have to RMA my Pandas. I got some light buzz in my left ear while in Bluetooth that won't go away, so I contacted support and they said I need to send them back. :cry:

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not sure.

Also, some sad news but I have to RMA my Pandas. I got some light buzz in my left ear while in Bluetooth that won't go away, so I contacted support and they said I need to send them back. :cry:

ugh, I wonder where that'll end up the schedule. Do you have to wait till October to get another pair?