As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    As a result of the 5.3 change to the 50/60/70 gear you could buy with poetics, simplifying away the upgrade process and just selling them in the upgraded dyeable forms by default, old non-upgraded versions you already have now have no method to be upgraded, you just have to toss them and rebuy them in the upgraded form. That includes the heavensward class sets which you used to be able to upgrade with an item you could buy with centurio seals or with coins from one of the sky pirate 24 man raids.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    As a result of the 5.3 change to the 50/60/70 gear you could buy with poetics, simplifying away the upgrade process and just selling them in the upgraded dyeable forms by default, old non-upgraded versions you already have now have no method to be upgraded, you just have to toss them and rebuy them in the upgraded form. That includes the heavensward class sets which you used to be able to upgrade with an item you could buy with centurio seals or with coins from one of the sky pirate 24 man raids.

Except you can upgrade the 60/70 Poetic sets at the Calamity Scavenger. You just can't upgrade the 50 set. XD

• RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Finally made it to the end of ARR and the beginning of Heavensward. Also hit 60 right at the end of ARR thanks to the XP boost for all experience below 70 - so I guess I'd better shell out for a code and go paid. Here we go!
    BETRAYAL. BETRAYAL MOST FOUL. I could only imagine this being where the game ended and having to wait for the next expansion to see how it plays out.

RisenPhoenix on
    Finally made it to the end of ARR and the beginning of Heavensward. Also hit 60 right at the end of ARR thanks to the XP boost for all experience below 70 - so I guess I'd better shell out for a code and go paid. Here we go!
    BETRAYAL. BETRAYAL MOST FOUL. I could only imagine this being where the game ended and having to wait for the next expansion to see how it plays out.

It helps that the last patch pre-expansion comes out just a few months before the expansion, so no one was waiting that long.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    50 set upgrades are still out there. I went out to check on this guy just last week.
    9ZFq9VI.jpg

Also, 5.31 patch notes up. My takeaway from it (since I never really got into Ishgard Restoration outside of using it to level up crafters who are now all 80), is that Eden Savage loot and lockout restrictions are finally removed (our static got Shiva down to 12% on our last practice night), and that you can now put those four last Yo-Kai Watch weapons into the Armoire.

SabreMau on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Yeah you can still upgrade stuff at Drake, but the items you need to upgrade the stuff with, carbontwine and carboncoat, are unavailable to buy now.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited September 2020
    I thought I did go back and upgrade that particular item by buying the Carboncoat right afterwards, but with the server down for maintenance and Lodestone too, I can't be 100% sure. It also drops (or dropped) from Final Coil of Bahamut.

Edit: Okay, guess I didn't. It's not on the vendor, not on the quest it was formerly rewarded from, and I just checked Final Coil and it's not there either. Weird that they'd provide alternate upgrade options for 60 and 70 gear but ignore the 50s.

SabreMau on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    What's a Calamity Salvager?

Also, I'm about to hit the 2k cap on my tomes and my main has a full Ironworks set already, is there anything else to spend them on except another class' set?

Glal on
  • BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Glal wrote: »
    What's a Calamity Salvager?

Also, I'm about to hit the 2k cap on my tomes and my main has a full Ironworks set already, is there anything else to spend them on except another class' set?

Well, your level 60 and 70 sets for that class can be bought too, but if you're looking long term you could start stocking up on HW relic mats, if you would like a fancy weapon at some point.

All the stuff is under Combat Supplies and if you just grab whatever when capped you can wait until you have everything and then bang out the whole questline (some fates, dungeons and a lot of trials) in about 4-5 hours.

Full list of stuff for it that can be bought with Poetics:
    10x Unidentifiable Bone
    10x Unidentifiable Shell
    10x Unidentifiable Ore
    10x Unidentifiable Seeds

5x Aether Oil

60-75x Umbrite

50x Singing Cluster

15x Pneumite

1x Archaic Enchanted Ink

There's some other mats bought with GC seals or crafting/gathering Scrips too, but if you're just looking to burn Poetics, these are good things to sink them into for later.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
    Is that this relic quest? The weapon looks cool, but that iLevel doesn't look great, even the upgraded version seems way below the Ironworks stuff.

edited September 2020
    Yeah, it's just for the glamour these days.

Specifically, it's the Anima series of weapons, the least grindy of the various relic weapon quests.

I would not advise doing the Zeta stuff that you linked at all.

Billiardball on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The relic weapons are still done for glamour purposes but you definitely don't want to do them for actual gearing.

The only time it might be worth it to do a relic is if you're leveling a brand new character and you don't want to spend the money to buy an HQ ilvl 115 weapon when you hit 50. Getting your i90 relic is pretty quick, and gets you past all the Hard mode primals, which is required for story progression anyway.

ZvOMJnu.png
    The other time it might be worth it to do a relic is when you want to get something with all the bright glowy particle effects.

Well, obviously. I meant from a pure gameplay perspective.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    SabreMau wrote: »
    The other time it might be worth it to do a relic is when you want to get something with all the bright glowy particle effects.

Good old Terpander Lux, AKA "all the particle effects".

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    korodullin wrote: »
    The only time it might be worth it to do a relic is if you're leveling a brand new character and you don't want to spend the money to buy an HQ ilvl 115 weapon when you hit 50. Getting your i90 relic is pretty quick, and gets you past all the Hard mode primals, which is required for story progression anyway.
    *looks at relic quest chain*
    That... that's easy? Compared to watching Netflix while kicking Gaius' ass two times in a row?

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I don't think it was mentioned (or I just cant find it) in the 5.31 patch notes but Augmented Neo-Ishgardian accessories now have two materia slots.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    SabreMau wrote: »

Good old Terpander Lux, AKA "all the particle effects".

Terp remains one of the best relics ever.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    That... that's easy? Compared to watching Netflix while kicking Gaius' ass two times in a row?

Compared to what it used to be.

steam_sig.png
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

Easy doesn't mean fast. It's not hard, just long and dumb and grindy and also dumb.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    edited September 2020
    Getting the i90 relic that korodullin was talking about is very easy. Upgrading from the 90 to the cap for Zodiac (135) is the long grindy part.

That said, getting the Ironworks 130 isn't much harder so there's still little reason to start the chain unless you're targeting that glam.

admanb on
    I guess I just don't see how doing a Main Scenario roulette twice is longer or harder than a 10 step chain that sends you all over the world and includes running trials. It feels like you guys are talking about something else and I'm looking at this thing wrong...

Sorry if it was confusing, I just meant it as something to burn poetics on while capped, for use way later when you're looking to deep dive into glamours.

Not really as stuff to do while still leveling and questing.

Oh, people are talking about the Anima relics? Okay, gotcha.

edited September 2020
    Is there a decent guide to dungeon fights out there? And by decent I mean a guide that's not written as a book?

It's really annoying that we get to a new boss fight and then, instead of a short

Tank: do this, tank adds, interrupt this, if X happens do Y
    DPS: prioritise X, if A then B
    Heals: prioritise cleansing this debuff

you get this rambling wall of text that explains in great detail how the entire fight will go. Yeah, thanks, but I know how to play video games, can you just give me the instructions pertinent to this fight so they can be passed on to the party without having to read them a story for two minutes straight? It's the job of DPS to deal with adds, there's no reason to mention it unless they're supposed to do something else, etc.

Glal on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Is there a decent guide to dungeon fights out there? And by decent I mean a guide that's not written as a book?

It's really annoying that we get to a new boss fight and then, instead of a short

you get this rambling wall of text that explains in great detail how the entire fight will go. Yeah, thanks, but I know how to play video games, can you just give me the instructions pertinent to this fight so they can be passed on to the party without having to read them a story for two minutes straight? It's the job of DPS to deal with adds, there's no reason to mention it unless they're supposed to do something else, etc.

@Glal There you go buddy https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MX0RjPS4gtT6YI5Szxlsin9hcaohnEQQC7zNdrDHBrQ/edit?usp=sharing

<3

The next Tale from the Shadows is up - Ere Our Curtain Falls, in which the backstory of the Emissary is explored further.

I wish I could do just the final Gaius Ultima Weapon fight and somehow have it tuned to be the expected difficulty, because that felt like a really cool fight, trivialised by people burning him down in 60 seconds flat. Like, he managed to actually drop some of our peeps in those 60 seconds, but there was neat stuff happening that I really didn't have a chance to process properly before the fight was over.

And it's at the end of 45 minutes of unskippable cutscenes (and 15 minutes of combat), so it's a long trek to get there.
    Turns out I got my wish! The Minstrel's Ballad: Ultima's Bane is exactly that and oh boy was that butt-clenching good time. None of us had done it before, so we had to look up one of the mechanics online after wiping two times without understanding why, but otherwise we did pretty okay I felt, for a bunch of puggers!

Staring at the party health bars and keeping people up while also avoiding the disco lightshow of doom is pretty intense, I'm glad I can see my own health and mana alongside everyone else's.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

Something that may help is a few of the general tips.

1. Kill adds when they spawn 99% of the time.
    2. Interrupt stuff that can be interrupted.
    3. Cleanse debuffs with the white line above the icon. Some low level dungeons make this less important. Note that some "Doom" type debuffs don't have a line and need to be cleansed by either having the person run over a glowing pad, or for the healers to heal the person to maximum health. Hovering over the debuff will tell you, though it may be tricky to do so in the middle of a fight.
    4. Mechanics are typically introduced one at a time (pay attention to the names in the enemy cast bar) before they are then overlapped/combined later in the fight.
    5. It is common to start with a tank buster or aoe attack. The names of the attacks normally are somewhat reflective of the type of attack.
    6. In FFXIV, you almost always want to dodge stuff and do all the mechanics as intended. There are some places where you can cheese a mechanic or ignore a mechanic, but by and large, just do the mechanics to avoid a bad time.

Keeping all of that in mind, it is pretty easy to do the non-EX/Savage content blind. Synched Minstrel's Ballad stuff is equivalent to the Extreme fights in difficulty, generally.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular

I quite like the video guides done by MTQcapture on Youtube. They're succinct and to the point of what the main mechanics are and what to do about them.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

Doing the mandatory Castrum and Praetorium for the first time gets you exactly 600 poetics, enough to buy an ilvl 130 weapon as soon as you finish. The relic is never a better option for gearing.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »

Something that may help is a few of the general tips.

1. Kill adds when they spawn 99% of the time.
    2. Interrupt stuff that can be interrupted.
    3. Cleanse debuffs with the white line above the icon. Some low level dungeons make this less important. Note that some "Doom" type debuffs don't have a line and need to be cleansed by either having the person run over a glowing pad, or for the healers to heal the person to maximum health. Hovering over the debuff will tell you, though it may be tricky to do so in the middle of a fight.
    4. Mechanics are typically introduced one at a time (pay attention to the names in the enemy cast bar) before they are then overlapped/combined later in the fight.
    5. It is common to start with a tank buster or aoe attack. The names of the attacks normally are somewhat reflective of the type of attack.
    6. In FFXIV, you almost always want to dodge stuff and do all the mechanics as intended. There are some places where you can cheese a mechanic or ignore a mechanic, but by and large, just do the mechanics to avoid a bad time.

Keeping all of that in mind, it is pretty easy to do the non-EX/Savage content blind. Synched Minstrel's Ballad stuff is equivalent to the Extreme fights in difficulty, generally.

My super simple blind-run rules of thumb:

-When tanking, keep boss facing out and away from everybody else. Dodge aoe mechanics.
    -When healing, keep tank topped up (wasteful and inefficient yes, but I hate seeing a non-full health bar), heal DPS when they're at half, dps when nothing needs to be healed. Oh, and dodge aoe mechanics.
    -When dpsing, attack whatever the tank or other dps is attacking, and dodge aoe mechanics.
    -If we wipe, most people are kind enough to point out why. Otherwise ask. If I know why, then I give a quick tip in chat.

-When raiding, run to wherever the party is running to. Usually people are running for a very good reason...

My rule of thumb for healing is that if I have to cast a GCD heal outside of a boss immunity window it's probably because you failed a mechanic and you deserve to die.
    I'm joking... mostly.

I will say that if you want to get good at healing in the same way you would get good at DPSing by mastering your rotation or get good at tanking by timing your mitigation abilities your goal should be to cast as few GCD heals as possible and use GCDs with a cast time under 2.5s to weave your oGCD heals.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it becomes more and more possible to do that as it unlocks more bits of your healing toolkit the closer you are to the level cap, at lower levels your global cooldown heals are all you've got most of the time so don't worry about it, just cast your damage spells when you have breathing room.

BahamutZERO.gif
    True, but the corollary to that is that a lot of lower level bosses don't actually do enough damage (outside of players missing mechanics, which fine I guess you can heal through) to require GCD heals at all.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    True, but the corollary to that is that a lot of lower level bosses don't actually do enough damage (outside of players missing mechanics, which fine I guess you can heal through) to require GCD heals at all.

Aka the “Eos has you. I’m green dps.

steam_sig.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Started taking RDM into leveling roulette today since NIN hit 80, got the StB Yol dungeon and boy did I get to use verraise a lot on the last fight. Nearly managed a oneshot even with the mess of a fight but I missed the healer being down near the end and didn't have time to get a verraise out before getting splatted myself. Got two commendations and the healer thanking me for the assists. All in a day's work.

5BAJfYl.png

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Started taking RDM into leveling roulette today since NIN hit 80, got the StB Yol dungeon and boy did I get to use verraise a lot on the last fight. Nearly managed a oneshot even with the mess of a fight but I missed the healer being down near the end and didn't have time to get a verraise out before getting splatted myself. Got two commendations and the healer thanking me for the assists. All in a day's work.

5BAJfYl.png

"Wark."

This discussion has been closed.