As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    True, but the corollary to that is that a lot of lower level bosses don't actually do enough damage (outside of players missing mechanics, which fine I guess you can heal through) to require GCD heals at all.

Aka the “Eos has you. I’m green dps.

You'll [biolosys] get [broil] excog [broil] and [broil] you'll [broil] like [broil] it.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    My rule of thumb for healing is that if I have to cast a GCD heal outside of a boss immunity window it's probably because you failed a mechanic and you deserve to die.
    I'm joking... mostly.

I will say that if you want to get good at healing in the same way you would get good at DPSing by mastering your rotation or get good at tanking by timing your mitigation abilities your goal should be to cast as few GCD heals as possible and use GCDs with a cast time under 2.5s to weave your oGCD heals.

I have an Astro at 80, and most of my heal abilities are on GCD. Can someone help me understand how I'm supposed to heal like this when my oGCDS have huge cooldown times?

Renzo on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    My rule of thumb for healing is that if I have to cast a GCD heal outside of a boss immunity window it's probably because you failed a mechanic and you deserve to die.
    I'm joking... mostly.

I will say that if you want to get good at healing in the same way you would get good at DPSing by mastering your rotation or get good at tanking by timing your mitigation abilities your goal should be to cast as few GCD heals as possible and use GCDs with a cast time under 2.5s to weave your oGCD heals.

I have an Astro at 80, and most of my heal abilities are on GCD. Can someone help me understand how I'm supposed to heal like this when my oGCDS have huge cooldown times?

Well... they have long cooldowns but you have a lot of them, and boss damage doesn't actually come in that fast. For AoE healing, for example, you have Earthly Star and Celestial Opposition as BIG heals (ES is 720 potency, CO is 700 with the regen) plus Horoscope and Collective Unconscious for smaller heals. All of those are on 60s timers so if a boss does AoE damage every 30s, you've got that covered. For single-target you have two Essential Dignities and Celestial Intersection for tankbusters and the occasional player that facetanks a mechanic. For really heavy damage you pop Neutral Sect before some combination of those.

Obviously this falls apart if your group keeps yeeting themselves into mechanics but the goal is not "never cast a GCD heal" it's "cast as few GCD heals as possible" so your goal is just to be aware of all your oGCD options and how much they heal (especially with regen, since you'll overheal/waste a lot of regen if you're spamming) and only GCD when you absolutely have to.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Also remember that the only important HP is the last HP. Try not to overheal if there isn't a tankbuster coming.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Also remember that the only important HP is the last HP. Try not to overheal if there isn't a tankbuster coming.

Yeah, this is the one thing I hold to. In low level content, I won't cast a heal until I think the tank has lost about 1 heal's worth of hp. Same for using an aoe heal on dps, though that's a little more of a gray area. Because if it doesn't drain your mana pool, a little inefficiency with an aoe heal or there isn't the end of the world. And whatever you do, don't get in a habit of putting a regen effect on a player and then throwing a heal to them (unless they're near dead, and maybe not even then.) Let the regen do its job and tick the health up normally.

Also, I get super bored if a tank is single pulling a dungeon, at any level. Double pulls at least are necessary, otherwise I don't have to put out any healing and I'm just casting single target damage.

steam_sig.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Are you running Noct or Diurnal? Because unless the other healer in your is also an AST you shouldn't normally be using Noct. That being said, let the hots do the work. You have many of them and they are powerful.

Outside of very specific league of professional parsegoblin static group setups, don't expect to never use a GCD. That's just as much the sign of a bad healer as one who spends too much time healing, particularly in pug content where you can expect some rando to inevitably force you into using one, and some content simply deals out more damage than others in general. Aim to use them as little as possible while recognizing that there are times where you will have to use them.

Donnicton on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    also also, dungeon trash packs paradoxically do damage way harder than bosses do, so most of this advice applies primarily to boss fights.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I use Diurnal unless there's a WHM or the other AST has chosen Diurnal already. I also tend to do dailies and don't get into progression. I do use my oGDCs instead of GCDs as often as I can. I'm working on not overhealing, knowing how much my stuff heals, etc.

Setting up Earthly Star and Horoscope are big ones for me, having that heal already set up and available is crucial.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I think the only oGCD my WHM has is their 3 minute cooldown full heal, currently? My rule of thumb is to keep a regen going on the tank(s) at all times, throw it at any DPS that pulls aggro and gets thwatted, but generally try using my baby "has a chance to make big heal free" heal to keep the tank topped up unless there's an emergency.

If all else fails, wide area AoE heal and let god sort it out.

Glal on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2020
    I know I am doing it wrong, but I really don't care about dps as a White Mage. I cast the occasional DD or Dot whenever I get around to it, but I typically concentrate on mp conservation. Cure I, regen, a lilly heal every 30 seconds...

I am just not going to stress myself out and make the game not fun so we can get through dungeon trash 30 seconds faster.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    Pre-Holy with (big) trash pulls that makes sense. The incoming damage is too high for just Regen and you don’t have an AoE anyways.

WHM at high levels is also a special case since nourishing the blood lily costs a GCD but builds to a DPS ability, so dropping Afflatus (and weaving oGCD heals as necessary) counts as DPS.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I know I am doing it wrong, but I really don't care about dps as a White Mage. I cast the occasional DD or Dot whenever I get around to it, but I typically concentrate on mp conservation. Cure I, regen, a lilly heal every 30 seconds...

I am just not going to stress myself out and make the game not fun so we can get through dungeon trash 30 seconds faster.

It's worth pointing out that if the healer is doing damage so the group "can get through dungeon trash 30 seconds faster." That amounts to about four and a half minutes faster of a dungeon run, between all the trash pulls and bosses. And honestly, a healer throwing out a bunch of damage and only healing when needed during trash and bosses does probably end encounters 30 seconds faster each time.

It's also less healing casts, to the tune of about twelve and a half, using that 30 second number. Doing napkin math, casting damage spells to end an encounter faster is more mana efficient if the healer has to use one extra aoe heal. White Mage Glare costs 400 mp per cast, Medica is 1000 mp per cast. Heck, Holy is only 600 mp and starting a big pull with Holy saves the tank from damage due to stun. That's at least three "free" damage casts in trash pulls, letting Regen tick up.

To be clear, this is not me telling anyone how they should play or that any way of playing is wrong. This is a game and people should not play it in ways that stress themselves out (unless that's how that person has fun, some people like playing under pressure.)

However, I am just making sure the other side of the coin is represented and putting some numbers to show how a healer can effect dungeon clear speed. I'm also speaking from a perspective of someone that's played the game for a long time, is very comfortable with their abilities and setup, and plays or looks at the game from a perspective of level 80 play. That is not to say healer damage does not matter below that point, just that the healer job kits are not fully complete and throwing out damage will always take a backseat to healing the group (dead is zero dps and all that.)

steam_sig.png
    Glal wrote: »
    I think the only oGCD my WHM has is their 3 minute cooldown full heal, currently? My rule of thumb is to keep a regen going on the tank(s) at all times, throw it at any DPS that pulls aggro and gets thwatted, but generally try using my baby "has a chance to make big heal free" heal to keep the tank topped up unless there's an emergency.

If all else fails, wide area AoE heal and let god sort it out.

yeah at 50 all you're going to have is benediction so don't worry about this advice yet, by 60 you'll have tetragrammaton and assize to throw out, by 70 you have divine benison, and in the 80s you get the blood lily and afflatus misery to redeem all those afflatus solus casts into enough damage to be functionally equivalent to having cast damage spells in those GCDs.

Even at 80 you're still gonna cast the cast GCD heals a fair amount, it's just good to think about if you really need to top people off because there's no big hits incoming immediately, or if you can let your regens tick or throw out your off-GCD heals, and go back to casting glares or ruins or whatever.

BahamutZERO.gif
    I wish they would bring back og cleric stance and give me back my full dps toolkit.

The only bad thing about healer dps is that its boring as dirt.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I wish they would bring back og cleric stance and give me back my full dps toolkit.

The only bad thing about healer dps is that its boring as dirt.

Also its way too low in solo content. But.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    So this week's fashion contest requires "any white dye" for one of the items, but what does that actually mean? I used a dye that's in the list when you click the white circle in the dye interface, but clearly that's not it (plus, black is in there also, so...).

So what the heck is Any White Dye in this context?

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    So this week's fashion contest requires "any white dye" for one of the items, but what does that actually mean? I used a dye that's in the list when you click the white circle in the dye interface, but clearly that's not it (plus, black is in there also, so...).

So what the heck is Any White Dye in this context?

So the fashion contest is one of those purposefully obscure side content things that is 'solved' by the community. Figuring it out on your own is all but impossible, so unless you want to work together with the friends in whatever community you're part of... just check the reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/iqnyoe/fashion_report_full_details_for_week_of_9112020/

EDIT: for white it doesn't specify what other whites are allowed, but Metallic Silver is mentioned specifically.

Aldo on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I usually just let DPS die unless the tank is taking damage slow enough that I can switch a targeted heal for an AoE heal.

This. Tank is priority for healing.

That said, if a healer is just DPSing away while DPS is lying there, dead, then chances are they're an asshole*.

*if the DPS continues to stand in markers, not pay attention, etc., then, well... yeah, it's time for a death-imposed timeout.

Aspected Helios means everyone is my priority

Yeah, I mean I do cast the hurty spells when I otherwise would be casting nothing, unless I expect to be caught in the middle of a GCD at the end of a damage spike. My point was really just to find your comfort level. Don't sacrifice fun for the sake of pushing numbers that in the long run have minimal effect on the outcome if you aren't feeling competitive. As a healer your DPS numbers are counted completely as "Icing on the cake" by the dev team.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular

A 7th anniversary commemoration machinima fan video, click CC for English subtitles.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    the most important advice i can give to a high level whm is to remove cure 1 from your bars

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    the most important advice i can give to a high level whm is to remove cure 1 from your bars

Even at low level you should hide it in a corner where you can only see it when you queue into a sub-30 dungeon.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I'm playing the Free Trial and I sent an invite request via running into someone with the <GHOST> tag... how will I know if I'm actually accepted? I'd like to invite my partner too!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    I'm playing the Free Trial and I sent an invite request via running into someone with the <GHOST> tag... how will I know if I'm actually accepted? I'd like to invite my partner too!

Someone should be able to give you tell and ask the big questions.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    Can't join a Free company on a free trial.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Ahh that makes sense, we'll ask again in a bit! We're having fun in the trial so this is probably going to be a part of our winter hanging out. My partner used to play a ton of FFXI so they're extremely impressed with how friendly everything is!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    Man, a rabid bear is friendly compared to FFXI.

Shadowbringers physical PS4 version is $15 USD on amazon right now, makes me think perhaps a PS5 version is gonna be announced this week together with the PS5 console price.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    OK so, how long is the Rising quest line, and is there any combat?
    My neck is fucked up, I have super bad pain down my right arm and hand for the past month. Of course, it started the day 5.3 came out, about two days after I bought a 2 month time card, I've been unable to play any games except like mouse only card games for a month and a half.
    I don't want to miss the rising, was hoping it would be doable for me if it's just walking and watching cutscenes.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    It is maybe 15 minutes or so, and it is just walking and watching cutscenes.

reVerse on
    Yeah, just hop online and enjoy it. Some years there's been a short FATE or something, but even then it was trivial content. There's a minigame this year, but it's just clicking things with the mouse.

Man, they really make you do the entire Crystal Tower questline to reach HW, huh? I'm surprised they'd make a chain of raid missions a prerequisite to reach the first expansion.

Man, they really make you do the entire Crystal Tower questline to reach HW, huh? I'm surprised they'd make a chain of raid missions a prerequisite to reach the first expansion.

Well, that content becomes important to the main story eventually. It's the only raid content that does afik.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

Well, that content becomes important to the main story eventually. It's the only raid content that does afik.

Hey, hey now.

The Ivalice raids gave us bunnies.

It's only since the most recent patch that it's required too.

• BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I decided to go through the list of Triple Triad cards and pick up a bunch of the missing ones today.

3 hours of games with one NPC later and no card drop I gave up.

Fuck.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
    My experience with Triple Triad is that the opponent always has a deck hilariously better than mine, and then when I go "well okay, how about I use these cards I got from dungeons" the game yells ONLY ONE RARE CARD ALLOWED, while the NPC lords cards way better than most of my rares as if it's nothing.

My experience with Triple Triad is that the opponent always has a deck hilariously better than mine, and then when I go "well okay, how about I use these cards I got from dungeons" the game yells ONLY ONE RARE CARD ALLOWED, while the NPC lords cards way better than most of my rares as if it's nothing.

Yeah, the NPCs are dirty cheaters on deckbuilding, and have horrible drop rates.

The only sane sources of cards are dungeons, tournament rewards, and spending MGP.

The rarity rules for your deck do improve as you get more cards, it caps out at unlimited 3* and one 4*+ I think? But the best ruleset is plus/same because you can abuse lower rarity stuff and build around easily triggering those.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Decided to work on leveling Pugilist a bit recently, just unlocked Monk.

Wow, there's... not a whole lot to this, is there. There really isn't anything interesting until like level 50.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Decided to work on leveling Pugilist a bit recently, just unlocked Monk.

Wow, there's... not a whole lot to this, is there. There really isn't anything interesting until like level 50.

Very few classes are interesting until 50, and some take until 80 to really come together.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
This discussion has been closed.