As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Was Darren Latham the one with the secret White Scar paint scheme?

• NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    Jumped on greenstuff world and finally pulled the trigger on some rollers as it's gonna make custodes bases easier going forwards. Shipping options include

$8 - 30-60 days
    $180 - 5-10 days

:bigfrown:

Yea, it is real brutal for shipping right now.

I still can't get the roller I bought to work well. So frustrating.

Have you seen Dana Howls video on using rollers?

https://youtu.be/JGiJuboYvyk

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

He's got a white marine armour video if thats what you mean?

PSN- AHermano
    Hermano wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

He's got a white marine armour video if thats what you mean?

What I meant is someone had the secret white scar paint scheme that caused GW to crack down on the evy metal team {the person who posted it is/was a member of it} in the fallout of this is why Duncan left GW

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was Darren Latham.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Wait, what? GW cracked down on the 'Eavy Metal team for painting White Scars?

Wait, what? GW cracked down on the 'Eavy Metal team for painting White Scars?

The person in question {I do not know who} painted white scars using GW's secret scheme {it used army painter or something?}

• pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Having one of those days where I can't get even my paint thinned right, much less get it on a model -_-

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    1. Darren Latham (a former Eavy Metal painter and current GW employee) posted a video on painting White Scars to his non-GW affiliated Youtube channel in which he mentioned walking down the hall and bugging the Eavy Metal team for their recipe. He also did a number of masterclass videos in a similar vein.
    2. Shortly afterwards Darren Latham posted to his Youtube channel that he was ending it and all the videos would be taken down, no reason given. He is visibly upset in the video with his voice often breaking.
    3. Shortly after that Duncan announced he was leaving GW.

So people assume that 2 was the GW internal fallout from 1 and that 3 was the direct result of Duncan's displeasure with 2 which is a logical assumption but so far one without any actual evidence.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    That’s very shitty if true, considering the Forge World team posted schemes that used non-GW stuff for the Heresy-era Legions

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Another Custardes paint scheme!

I might actually use this one. It's quick and simple and looks pretty good.

sz5ts7ob33d6.jpg

wNWF90r.gif

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I like that one more than the darker one.

I still hate the design of those models in general, they are too busy for me and there is nothing for the eye to latch on to

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    Viking wrote: »
    I like that one more than the darker one.

I still hate the design of those models in general, they are too busy for me and there is nothing for the eye to latch on to

The allarus are better, I love those models.

But you're right... The guard don't have a lot of focus

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I like the forgeworld ones with the heavy bolters. Their helmets look neat on them

• DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    I'm in the process of starting Necromunda (and painting a stupid amount of scenery) just because of how much I liked these Ogryn models.

Yellow is not my colour though, struggled to work with it. Can't wait to go back to that sweet, sweet oh so smooth Macragge Blue.

zxJBb5P.jpg

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Do inks need to be thinned at all?

I have the daler and rowney acrylic inks and I've always been unsure if I need to thin them or not.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Only if you want them to create less of a tint. The D-R ones are particularly strong so you might want to consider it but they don’t need to be thinned for flow reasons like regular acrylic paints you might get from GW or Vallejo etc. Definitely shake them before use though, to redistribute the pigment grains that settle out of suspension in storage.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    We're starting Aeronautica Imperialis. I got the Skies of Fire box, and my friend got the original. The bases are now painted, on to the fun stuff.
    79trmeefblci.jpg

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    DocSamson wrote: »
    I'm in the process of starting Necromunda (and painting a stupid amount of scenery) just because of how much I liked these Ogryn models.

Yellow is not my colour though, struggled to work with it. Can't wait to go back to that sweet, sweet oh so smooth Macragge Blue.

zxJBb5P.jpg

Looking good! You going to weather the yellows?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Dayspring wrote: »

Looking good! You going to weather the yellows?

I guess I should, although I’ve never been much for weathering. It generally goes poorly for me.

But I am doing it to all the scenery so it would make sense.

DocSamson on
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Only if you want them to create less of a tint. The D-R ones are particularly strong so you might want to consider it but they don’t need to be thinned for flow reasons like regular acrylic paints you might get from GW or Vallejo etc. Definitely shake them before use though, to redistribute the pigment grains that settle out of suspension in storage.

Awesome, thank you!

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    So I finished this group of cultists+demon a couple weeks back, been meaning to post it. Guess I'll steal a minute of my kid's nap here:

HeDtTBq.jpeg
    P2CVo0oh.jpeg
    QUJYQbMh.jpeg
    9Ez4h8jh.jpeg
    lqmQJ3Jh.jpeg
    FlIoVpoh.jpeg
    vIlJVA1h.jpeg

I tried to leverage some work on the skin with washes, to middling success. I tried watering down a wash here or there, but it seems to leave a coffee-stain effect in a lot of spots. Any tips there?

Also, I don't know how you people have the sanity to paint these GW figs all the time. There's too much shit on them! I just kept finding little details that I had missed as I went, and I eventually just threw up my hands and said fuck it. I'm not winning any Golden Demons here, so I've very little desire to paint all that fiddly shit.

Also also, is that Demoness carrying an apple, or conjuring a fireball? Only the poor target of the conjuration will ever know!

These images are way more blown out than they were on my cell phone, despite specifically darkening them after the fact in my phone's image app. Bleh. This light box has not improved my photo situation.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Coffee stains or tide marks mean you let the wash pool on a flat surface. Poke it around until it settles into the recesses instead.

I never really thin washes, either. Any time I've tried it I haven't liked the outcome.

Flow improver plus dry retarder is what I put in my washes if I use it on larger and or more organic shapes.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea, a 10:1 wash to flow improver is roughly what I do.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited September 2020
    Various kinds of frustration are halting my painting desire. Still haven't finish the 19 Necrons that I based and primed and then broke up into groups of 5/4 to finish up in. I think im gonna finish the 5 I'm working on right now and then wait for painting inspiration to hit again to finish another 5.

Unless that painting inspiration takes me to my Skaven, Space Wolves, or Tau.

It is nice knowing for the most part how I'm gonna paint like 95% of the armies. HQs are where I want to get unique.
    Nought wrote: »
    Jumped on greenstuff world and finally pulled the trigger on some rollers as it's gonna make custodes bases easier going forwards. Shipping options include

$8 - 30-60 days
    $180 - 5-10 days

I did see that, I was actually pretty stoked when Dana put up the video. I tried baby powder because of this video.

So what I'm trying to do is basically flatten green stuff out and make a sheet with the roller that I can then cut into to put pieces on the bases so they look like they are buried in sand. I get the green stuff wet when I flatten it out and then try to get it to stick to the surface it is one and it seems to stick well until I use the roller.

Stragint on

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Try flattening it out then getting the topside wet only? It sounds like you’re dipping the whole ball in water before trying to roll it out.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited September 2020
    Various kinds of frustration are halting my painting desire. Still haven't finish the 19 Necrons that I based and primed and then broke up into groups of 5/4 to finish up in. I think im gonna finish the 5 I'm working on right now and then wait for painting inspiration to hit again to finish another 5.

Unless that painting inspiration takes me to my Skaven, Space Wolves, or Tau.

It is nice knowing for the most part how I'm gonna paint like 95% of the armies. HQs are where I want to get unique.
    Nought wrote: »

$8 - 30-60 days
    $180 - 5-10 days

I did see that, I was actually pretty stoked when Dana put up the video. I tried baby powder because of this video.

So what I'm trying to do is basically flatten green stuff out and make a sheet with the roller that I can then cut into to put pieces on the bases so they look like they are buried in sand. I get the green stuff wet when I flatten it out and then try to get it to stick to the surface it is one and it seems to stick well until I use the roller.

Ok. Could just remember having seen something about rolling pins and wanted to share. :)
    Havn't gotten to trying it out.

I understand the burnout.

Og it helps I still struggle with trying to get the energy to paint anything. You're miles ahead of where I'm trying to get to.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I feel you on having motivation.

I really want to finish painting so I can start playing, and have even made small batches of 5 where I try to do 1 colour a night.

But some nights, after work and the commute and making dinner, I just want to zone out for a bit while I eat and then I don’t stop watching and start painting early enough. Especially on top of other distractions like mobile games and forums.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    IZetNrv.jpg

wDIfeae.jpg

Vroom

Maybe a weird thing to focux on, but I love the tires and the lights in the bumper.

The tires look like well used rubber. Super realistic.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    The fact that the tires are dusty where they meet the ground and not elsewhere was the first detail that caught my eye

J wrote: »
    IZetNrv.jpg

wDIfeae.jpg

Vroom

Are the scratches painted on or did you use something like the ole hairspray method?

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Sponge and brush. No hairspray!

J wrote: »
    Sponge and brush. No hairspray!

Then good job on those scratches in particular. They look very real.

• WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I got the two Tau Tiger Sharks (not Barracuda) done for Aeronautica Imperialis.
    zdwdmybqfg3k.jpg
    6zyxzj2jmgix.jpg
    yma012r4m4h4.jpg

Watcher on
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    This is a slightly off-topic question, sorry; but something I've been wondering about lately for no particular reason: how come you don't see more LEGO wargaming terrain? It just seems like such an obvious thing for making various obstacles and platforms and bombed out buildings or whatever, if you don't mind how it looks.

I think there's like a whole lego wargaming scene, but I canT remember having seen much terrain.

Maybe people do that but if it isn't really nicely built stuff you probably don't see it on the internet much because people might just not bother to make pictures of it and post those.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Probably because the only thing more expensive than wargames is Lego.