As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Listen to a [podcast] on the commute from your couch to your kitchen

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Listening to an All Fantasy Everything from a couple of years ago, drafting people they'd want on their side in a rumble

David Gborie: I pick Teddy Roosevelt
    Me: Hmm, that dude hated natives pretty bad. Eh, David's a comedian, maybe he doesn't know that.
    David: "I bet Teddy ATE a Native American!"
    Me: Hmm. Hm.

I like david a lot but he has a lot of blind spots and his mom being a first generation naturalized citizen seems to have really really made him buy into the "american dream" stuff, in particular idolizing self made millionaires

that said he HAS certainly gotten better since then

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Pat is well meaning but is also not the most reliable narrator here, especially since ana is being quoted, who just last week posted an article about the radical queer liberation of getting off with an unknowing partner playing fall guys (similar to an argument merritt has made about the historical radicalism of sexual assault in sam fransisco bathouses)

It's all very messy and hard to parse, but my instincts are to not trust merritt

FWIW (I've not listened yet or really heard of merritt before today) Abby did post something in the show notes addressing things a little
    Producer's Note: Hello, Abby here! It has come to my attention that there have been allegations against Merritt K, one of our guests on the podcast today. I didn't learn about these allegations until halfway through the podcast livestream when I looked at chat.

I do my best to bring on diverse voices and guests to GB, while also maintaining an inclusive space for everyone. We try to vet our guests to assure GB is a safe and inclusive space for everyone and I have failed that for this episode. Unfortunately, sometimes with these allegations they may seem very loud in certain circles but are silent in others. In this case, I simply did not know these allegations even existed before today.

If you would like to speak to us directly about these allegations or anything else, you can email beastcast@giantbomb.com. I read every email. Thanks.

I don't know if it fixes anything but I get how it can be easy to miss stuff if you're not plugged in to all the right places or doing a forensic background check for every guest. I guess the answer is going to be doing that background check from now on?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    I think it's entirely reasonable for Abby to have been unaware of this prior to the show, and I think her response has been an appropriate one.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    what was the response? edit: ah nvm, it's right there

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Considering how quickly the chat brought it up during the stream i find it hard to believe that abby could not find out info on merritt with more than a cursory search

I find that apology to be fairly lacking, all things considered

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Pat is well meaning but is also not the most reliable narrator here, especially since ana is being quoted, who just last week posted an article about the radical queer liberation of getting off with an unknowing partner playing fall guys (similar to an argument merritt has made about the historical radicalism of sexual assault in sam fransisco bathouses)

It's all very messy and hard to parse, but my instincts are to not trust merritt

FWIW (I've not listened yet or really heard of merritt before today) Abby did post something in the show notes addressing things a little
    Producer's Note: Hello, Abby here! It has come to my attention that there have been allegations against Merritt K, one of our guests on the podcast today. I didn't learn about these allegations until halfway through the podcast livestream when I looked at chat.

I do my best to bring on diverse voices and guests to GB, while also maintaining an inclusive space for everyone. We try to vet our guests to assure GB is a safe and inclusive space for everyone and I have failed that for this episode. Unfortunately, sometimes with these allegations they may seem very loud in certain circles but are silent in others. In this case, I simply did not know these allegations even existed before today.

If you would like to speak to us directly about these allegations or anything else, you can email beastcast@giantbomb.com. I read every email. Thanks.

I don't know if it fixes anything but I get how it can be easy to miss stuff if you're not plugged in to all the right places or doing a forensic background check for every guest. I guess the answer is going to be doing that background check from now on?

Especially as a lot of this stuff is word of mouth, seems fair to me. There are systemic problems leading to "missing stairs" and all you can do is try and find out about them, but it's kind of inherent to the whole thing that you not finding out isn't really your fault. And on top of that the fact they are allegations and doing the investigative reporting to figure out THAT morass is literally another full time job, AND one way or another they are under CBS which I'm sure has it's own apparatus to say "don't rock the boat too hard or we'll destroy you" and well, it's making the best of the mess that exists.
    Or maybe these accusations are better known, but the GB people are at least fairly plugged into the game/game dev communities, but it's always impossible to know as much as the hive mind.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    You know what would make that apology better?

An actual apology, instead of an explanation of what happened and why it's not abby's fault

All that can be true but you still platformed someone you shouldn't and a statement of apology is warranted, along with a note about how you're gonna be more rigorous (or even a promise that you won't have that person on again)

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

An actual apology, instead of an explanation of what happened and why it's not abby's fault

All that can be true but you still platformed someone you shouldn't and a statement of apology is warranted, along with a note about how you're gonna be more rigorous (or even a promise that you won't have that person on again)

Obviously better to catch everything and never slip up, but without knowing their process what does that even look like? (seriously, because that is useful for people to know, and I know you are connected in the podcast space and this is probably something you do/help with which is dope!) Like a google of Merrit K doesn't pull this up, and I can't do the twitter search at work so maybe it's super obvious there or somewhere else.

I guess as far as apologies go I'm just not big on them anyway (aside from the like, "I fucked up, will do better" part, I don't really give a shit if someone feels bad or not, just that they move in a positive direction) Abby specifically says they messed up despite a vetting process, and will take the concerns seriously, but it wraps again to what do you do? Cause you can't know as much as the hoard of people, and perception gets twisted because everyone ELSE who didn't know isn't popping up, just the people who DID know, which shifts the perception of it to possibly more widely known than it is.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

I would guess that if that were to happen it would be during the intro of next week's podcast

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular

I would guess that if that were to happen it would be during the intro of next week's podcast

Why would you guess that

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »

Why would you guess that

because that's what they have historically done

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »

Why would you guess that

Because that's where they did it last time this was a thing.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Oh, I actually missed that this was a note on the podcast page itself, I read it as her tweeting a statement and figured like, if you’re bringing it up why would you then let it sit for a week if you intended to apologize

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I dont remember what savepoint was

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    turtleant wrote: »
    I dont remember what savepoint was

wasn't it their charity stream?

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Seems pretty clear now that the next Blank Check Patreon series is gonna be on the Alien movies

important to remember that David Sims is an enormous fan of modern Ridley Scott and loves Prometheus a whole lot so that's gonna be a GOOD'UN

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Listening to an All Fantasy Everything from a couple of years ago, drafting people they'd want on their side in a rumble

Me: Hmm, that dude hated natives pretty bad. Eh, David's a comedian, maybe he doesn't know that.

I like david a lot but he has a lot of blind spots and his mom being a first generation naturalized citizen seems to have really really made him buy into the "american dream" stuff, in particular idolizing self made millionaires

I generally try to give folks the benefit of the doubt, and I'm not quitting AFE or anything. But, "I think it's COOL that this guy did genocide, and I wanna JOKE about that genocide" was a tough bit to stomach.

I was also bummed by how everyone else on the podcast just... let it sail by? 2017 wasn't that long ago, this isn't something from 2008 when everyone was being an edgelord or whatever. It's just, like, fine to be racist about natives. It's always minimized, it's a blip, it's a blind spot. Hall pass.

I dunno. It just sucks.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    There's an episode of Ugly Delicious where david chang's friends spend the whole ep complaining about casual anti-asian racism but halfway through crack a joke about indigenous australians
    Fuckin, BIGGEST side eye.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Rough news

Sounds serious, but I really hope it isn't

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    What happened exactly?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I believe details are unknown, presumably not related to the chud attack if it's a spinal thing

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Chud attack?

Last thing I remember seeing from Evans was him refusing to move when the big beardy Patriot begged him to.

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    He was struck with a steel baton by a member of the Proud Boys back in August.

• Options
    Oh right yes I do recall seeing that.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Oh, thank God

New Mince

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Seems pretty clear now that the next Blank Check Patreon series is gonna be on the Alien movies

important to remember that David Sims is an enormous fan of modern Ridley Scott and loves Prometheus a whole lot so that's gonna be a GOOD'UN

This would be the highlight of my year (and isn't that depressing). I've been loving the MI series

I love those boys but the main cast hasn't really caught my attention for a while, but the commentaries are excellent

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Oh no what a tragedy

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Imagine asking Jonathan Blow to speak at anything

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Fuck Jonathan Blow and every other mediocre ass white guy like him

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    “It doesn't matter how many years have passed or how much you swear you changed and don't do that any more, or how many times you come to me on your knees with tears in your eyes, begging for the succor that will inevitably be denied due your foolish impertinence.”

• Options
    Jonathan Blow, more like Jonathan Bl... shit

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Blows you were looking for more like Jonathan Blows

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Hurrah! I no longer have to feel a bit dumb for never getting very fair into Braid because it seemed boring and hard, now I get to feel retroactively justified for rejecting a game designed by a huge asshole!

Thanks, Jonathan Blow. You fucking suck out loud, and I appreciate that in this extremely specific context.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I generally try to give folks the benefit of the doubt, and I'm not quitting AFE or anything. But, "I think it's COOL that this guy did genocide, and I wanna JOKE about that genocide" was a tough bit to stomach.

I was also bummed by how everyone else on the podcast just... let it sail by? 2017 wasn't that long ago, this isn't something from 2008 when everyone was being an edgelord or whatever. It's just, like, fine to be racist about natives. It's always minimized, it's a blip, it's a blind spot. Hall pass.

I dunno. It just sucks.

im sorry, i wanna be clear i absolutely wasnt defending the dude, or i didnt mean to

i have had problems with david and tried to figure out exactly what's going on there and i was just speculating

it feels very much like a dave chappel "i am very empathetic and speak well about cultural issues i relate to but everything else is fine to make fun of" thing which always kills me

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Blows you were looking for more like Jonathan Blows

Damn, you're right.

I bring a gift in recompense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWqnz-7iQbY

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If my last name were blows I would pronounce it to rhyme with cows

• Options