As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Flight Sims] DCS open-beta approaches something modern: Using more than one CPU core!

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Ouch yeah that does suck, I’ll prob still keep but we’ll see how releases go.

Seems like they are including EA play subscription as part of it in the coming months.

Dixon on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Heh yeah, I was considering just letting it run after the trial for $5, but will probably cancel at $10.

Not that I really think it's an unfair price. With the EA stuff being added it's still a great value at $10, but I have too many games to play. Also not a fan of the locked down files stuff -- I need my mods, and I'm wondering if Flight Simulator on the Microsoft Store will even support SteamVR? Seems like it would have to but I'm not sure how.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Boooo. On September 17th, Xbox game pass for PC is leaving beta and the price is going up to $9.99.

I thought that everyone paying the $4.99 gets to keep that rate after the price increase... Right?

Edit: Darn, just read that it will go up after the next one... I'll have to reconsider if I want to keep paying that much since I don't play much per month.

Not to harp on it too much, but how would that work? You'd have to pay the fee increase eventually, you're not just going to be "grandfathered in" by virtue of being an early adopter. This isn't a cell phone plan (and even then, it's usually not true).

I can completely sympathize with people reconsidering their subscriptions. Personally, I'm very dubious of the whole "Netflix of games" concept in the first place (also "Netflix of films", which is probably why I've never subscribed to the service myself), and it's still being sold as a $60 game. Just buy a digital copy and it's yours to keep.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Boooo. On September 17th, Xbox game pass for PC is leaving beta and the price is going up to $9.99.

I thought that everyone paying the $4.99 gets to keep that rate after the price increase... Right?

Edit: Darn, just read that it will go up after the next one... I'll have to reconsider if I want to keep paying that much since I don't play much per month.

Not to harp on it too much, but how would that work? You'd have to pay the fee increase eventually, you're not just going to be "grandfathered in" by virtue of being an early adopter. This isn't a cell phone plan (and even then, it's usually not true).

I can completely sympathize with people reconsidering their subscriptions. Personally, I'm very dubious of the whole "Netflix of games" concept in the first place (also "Netflix of films", which is probably why I've never subscribed to the service myself), and it's still being sold as a $60 game. Just buy a digital copy and it's yours to keep.

Dunno, but other companies have done that before. Google had a beta/early adopters price point at a discount and never raised the price for those grandfathered in so I just figured Microsoft was doing the same thing. Getting us early adopters to show off the numbers and get feedback. I just didn't read the fine print saying that they were going to increase it. That's on me, not mad at MS for raising the price since it is their decision.

As I was typing this I remembered that even Netflix's grandfathered lower price users eventually were raised up after a while. So guess it was only Google who has done the grandfathering in. My wife still has the lower price point even after Google Music swapped over to YouTube Music.

Edit: I'm also of the camp of buy it and be safe(r). Heck, I still miss the days when games came out on disc just so you can always have it to play after licenses/etc. are lost. But those days seem to be gone for PC gaming and probably soon for console.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options

Dunno, but other companies have done that before. Google had a beta/early adopters price point at a discount and never raised the price for those grandfathered in so I just figured Microsoft was doing the same thing. Getting us early adopters to show off the numbers and get feedback. I just didn't read the fine print saying that they were going to increase it. That's on me, not mad at MS for raising the price since it is their decision.

As I was typing this I remembered that even Netflix's grandfathered lower price users eventually were raised up after a while. So guess it was only Google who has done the grandfathering in. My wife still has the lower price point even after Google Music swapped over to YouTube Music.

Edit: I'm also of the camp of buy it and be safe(r). Heck, I still miss the days when games came out on disc just so you can always have it to play after licenses/etc. are lost. But those days seem to be gone for PC gaming and probably soon for console.

Yeah, Steam killed that off long ago and consoles seem to be eventually following.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Now I'm having serious issues with MSFS2020. I recently uninstalled it because I needed the HD space but decided to reinstall it yesterday. I downloaded the launcher and had it downloading the rest of the game overnight. I woke up and it was only about 10% done, so I thought maybe the download pause or my computer went to sleep or something. I saw that it was going, so I let it run in the background. Checked in on it a little later and it was at the same spot. I noticed it would get a little ways into downloading the file then the progress would reset and it would start over. I googled it and apparently it's a common issue. The solution is to find the file it's trying to download, delete it, and start the download again. The only problem is I have no idea where that file is. I've checked the Packages folder under AppData, and I've checked the folder its installing to on a different drive (WindowsApps). I tried just uninstalling completely and starting over, but now it's doing the same thing on an earlier file.

Any ideas on where its saving these fspackage files?

Edit: After uninstalling, reinstalling, and restarting a few times, it seems to be downloading now. We'll see how long it continues.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Finally got it downloaded again and decided to give OnAir a try. Was doing about a 30 minute flight for the tutorial and right as I landed and it was trying to send it to the server, their servers started having issues. I ended up having to restart the program and even though it said it saved my flight, it didn't seem to and I had to start over, but it kept constantly losing connection when trying. Apparently they got more new people than they could handle. Hopefully they get it fixed soon since my free 7 day trial is ticking and I have no idea if I even like it yet, 2 days in.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah one of the major flight simmer youtubers did a few videos on it, so they've gotten a massive influx of users.

And then I guess they suffered some hard drive corruption friday evening.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    On the bright side, canceling Game Pass for Windows would get me a TON of SSD space back that I put towards things that I actually do play (as opposed to used on things filed under "Things I might play one day")

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    OnAir says they've installed new servers to help meet demand, and they've also given everyone a 7 day subscription extension (even those of us on the free trial), so that was nice of them. I'll hopefully have some time tomorrow to give it another shot.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Jubal77 on
  • Options
    It says they've reduced loading times. Hopefully it's not insignificant. They weren't so bad when I had it on my SSD, but on a platter drive they are pretty insane.

• Options
    It says they've reduced loading times. Hopefully it's not insignificant. They weren't so bad when I had it on my SSD, but on a platter drive they are pretty insane.

even on an ssd it's still like 4 minutes

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    my load time on platter seemed about half or just over what it was.

• Options
    Good lord. I thought the patch was just the 600MB+, but after getting in game there's another 12GB download.

• Options
    I also see less microstutters into seattle on first fly over.

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Ah, I see they removed the UK style house from North America which was the thing that bugged me most. Everything else I will take or leave!

• Options
    These new voices are going to take some getting used to. New voice for auto copilot i still have on so i dont have to deal with radio. And new female voice for some atc stuff.

• Options
    One thing I keep hoping they'll add or someone will mod in is the ability to have the co-pilot model show from inside the cockpit. I don't care if they're not the most detailed or not animated, I still would like to see a body next to me if I have a co-pilot.

• Options
    So approach in the da 62 locked on with no issues. NAV did as well on take off. Approach mode without any issues as well. So far so good on patch. Ill know after multiple flights as it seemed to bug out after multiple flights.

Also landing in Seattle had muuuuuuch less microstutters to just chugging as well.

Happy so far!

• Options
    Looks like we're doing that crap with the downloads again. It was at almost 9GB downloaded when I went to start dinner. Came back about 30 minutes later and it was just over 5GB.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Dead god just download the 11GB and then apply the patch...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    I kind of want to have it remember I don't like the copilot in my plane, also remember my tail #, just nitpicky things but I hate changing them constantly.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Took MFS out for a spin through Egypt. TIL the city extends almost the entire way to the Sphinx and Giza and wraps around it creating a little sandy tourist trap. Kinda takes some of the mystique out of the whole flight tbh. I was expecting more of a desert flight but nah, it's city the whole way.

My first VFR jaunt went well though! I got there and back leaving from Cairo International without a hitch using the ole mark one eyeball and a compass. Even landed correctly following the landing pattern and everything. I'm a little leery of getting into anything with a G1000 cause that's gonna be a giant learning curve unto itself so I'm sticking to planes that run off good ole fashioned gauges like I'm used to from WW2 planes for now.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    The G1000 isn't that bad to get down, and is pretty nice to boot. Most of your info is going to be on your left screen and is similar to what you would see in the HUD of a fighter. It's also where all of your autopilot stuff is. The right screen by default is going to have your map as well as some of your gauges like fuel, RPM, and temps. There's a lot about the G1000 that I don't know, but I found it easy enough to start flying with once you spend a couple of minutes finding where your stuff is located.

• Options
    IIRC, there's a pizza hut that has a pretty decent view of the great pyramids/sphinx.

• Options
    Yup here it is:

0gBUTBY.jpg

That'd be so bizarre... chowing down on a slice of the 'za looking at the pyramids

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Looks like Japan is getting the first terrain/hand-crafted love (coming on the 29th):

oldmanken on
  • Options
    Anything that gets Kizuna A.I. to play Flight Simulator, shrieking and cursing when she crashes her plan.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Yup here it is:

0gBUTBY.jpg

That'd be so bizarre... chowing down on a slice of the 'za looking at the pyramids

There has to be a picture somewhere of some holding a pizza slice up between the two pyramids.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Yup here it is:

0gBUTBY.jpg

There has to be a picture somewhere of some holding a pizza slice up between the two pyramids.

Its Pizza Hut though... all the stuff would fall off.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    1.9.3 is out. With Japan update.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/world-update-i-japan-patch-version-1-9-3-is-now-available/287453

After the patch to the game you have to also download the japan pack as a free update from the store.
    Airports
    Airports added:

LEMG - Málaga Airport
    LFLC - Clermont-Ferrand Auvergne
    PAFR – Bryant Army Airfield Heliport
    Airports improvements:

60 airports improvements based on community feedback
    Control towers added on 700+ US airports
    UI
    Sensitivity screen is now displayed correctly
    The Manual cache management UI has been improved
    ATC Options should now correctly be saved
    Liveries selection menu should now work as expected
    The music can now be deactivated before or during the initial download on startup
    AERODYNAMICS
    The collision problems at negative altitudes have been fixed
    Braking power on ground has been tweaked to reflect more realistic braking distances
    Fuel consumption updating mass problem has fixed for some airplanes
    A plane with no fuel leak system should no longer lead to a crash
    Aircraft gyroscopic stability can now be set in our SDK toolset
    PLANES
    Incorrect energy formulas resulting in inaccurate autopilot behavior have been fixed
    Autopilot overshooting altitude capture during descent has been fixed
    Allow to up to 8500fpm max climb speed after the new AP is now more accurately respecting 6000fpm
    Visuals and animation

Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner: wing flex has been improved
    Beechcraft King Air 350i: rudder pedals animation is now correct
    Cessna 152 : fixed a graphic glitch when switching between cockpit and external views
    Airbus A320neo : fixed issues related to copilot AP button lights
    General aviation systems

Cessna 172 Skyhawk: fixed impossible connection with ATC when BUS 1 is ON and bus 2 is off
    Cessna 208 B Grand Caravan EX: fixed PFD and MFD button issues between pilot and copilot sides
    Robin DR400/100 Cadet: can now request ground services to the ATC
    Cessna 172 Skyhawk (G1000): fixed checklist camera issues during the “After starting engine” procedure
    Cessna 152 and 152 Aerobat: fixed pilot heat not working
    Cessna 152 and 152 Aerobat: fixed copilot not setting master switch ON during starting engine checklist procedure
    Daher TBM 930: fixed fuel tank incorrect tooltip
    General aviation avionics

Garmin avionics : fixed issues with auto switch from NAV to LOC in approach
    Garmin avionics : Fixed wrong country codes
    G1000/3000 : Fixes on flightplan entering / duplicate waypoint page
    G1000 : performance improvements when displaying nearest airport page
    G3000 : it is now possible to active approach legs
    Cessna 172 Skyhawk (G1000): fixed automatic change from GPS to VOR 1 when a flight plan or approach loaded
    Cessna 172 Skyhawk: fixed crash when deleting direct-to flight plan
    Cessna 208 B Grand Caravan EX: fixed default state of avionics Sby & avionic bus guarded switches when starting cold and dark
    Cessna Citation CJ4: Upper menu and ENG buttons are no longer INOP
    Airliners systems

Airbus A320neo Fix APU Fuel Flow shutting down left engine
    Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner/ Airbus A320neo Fixed lack of elevator authority with FBW at low speeds
    Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner: fixed APU fault light behavior
    Airbus A320neo : fixed max thrust display
    Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner: altitude target can no longer be set to negative values
    Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental: fixed wrong approach VREF speeds
    Airliners avionics

Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner HUD colors and layout improvements
    Airbus A320neo : fixed missing runway in the MCDU perf page
    Airbus A320neo : improved disappearance of legs too early when following a flight plan
    Airbus A320neo : STARs are filtered to display the ones connected to the selected runway in the MCDU
    Airbus A320neo : “Invalid entry” has been replaced by “Not allowed” message in MCDU
    Airbus A320neo : Flaps “F” indication replaced by “FULL” when flaps completely deployed
    WEATHER
    The wind gradient when getting close to the ground on live weather has been fixed
    Lightning have been added when applicable
    MARKETPLACE
    Average rating has been fine-tuned for more accuracy
    3rd party filter is now sorted alphabetically
    Improved notification system for content bought outside of the marketplace existing in the Community folder
    Version history is now available when an item is patched
    CONTENT MANAGER
    The community content is now clearly identified in the content manager
    The content manager button in the Marketplace will redirect to the corresponding addon content
    Version history is now available when an item is patched
    INSTALLATION MANAGER
    The title’s audio is properly muted when the window is out of focus
    Graphic settings UI during onboarding has been fixed
    Apply and Save pop up now displays only once during the Graphic Settings in the Onboarding
    LOCALIZATION
    Various typo fixes in multiple languages
    CAMERAS
    Fixed visual glitch happening in camera cuts
    Fixed wrong LOD selection when a camera cut happens
    Camera reset function does not revert Cam speed/ momentum to default values anymore
    INPUT
    CH Eclipse default preset has been added
    TrackIR can now be enabled or disabled in the camera panel
    Track IR is now disabled when on the pause menu
    Improved support for Logitech Multi panel
    BUSH TRIPS
    Back on track should no longer show the wrong airport
    WORLD
    Ocean rendering has been improved (waves scale, foam and reflections)
    Water mask has been edited to display actual aerial image near the shore in some areas
    Luminance has been tweaked for some photogrammetry cities (Napoli, Darwin, San Gorgonio, Las Vegas)
    Fixed terraforming issue which was causing issues in KTEX airport
    Water elevation has been updated to improve rivers (Missouri river and around Toronto for example) and lakes (center of Canada)
    Fixed detail map rendering around runway/taxiway borders
    KNOWN ISSUES
    Game may crash if the VFR Map is not opened right after starting the flight
    Cessna Citation Longitude: Regression AP FLC and VS mode
    Cessna Citation Longitude: Autopilot climb and level off issues
    Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental: Autopilot switches to FLCH mode instead of catching the glideslope
    Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental: Autopilot switches to VNAV mode on take-off even if VNAV is not used by the pilot
    Airbus A320neo : PFDs shutdowns randomly
    The Tour of Japan discovery flight will be greyed out in the main menu if the Beechcraft King Air 350i is not installed
    A new install on a different install folder will only download the mandatory content and will require a reboot (non mandatory content can be downloaded from the Content manager)

Good thing is that the japan update seemed to decompress and install much better than the last free update which was just one airport. It also appears my performance has increased more with the patch.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    KNOWN ISSUES
    Game may crash if the VFR Map is not opened right after starting the flight

What?

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Holy I missed that. Yeah I was midflight and hit vfr and game crashed. Yeah id advise against using vfr heh. Even on a start it was choppy to bring up and stalled rendering on the screen.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Can't seem to be able to download the Japan nor the Paderborn airport from the marketplace. It just hangs at some point a few MB in.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »
    Can't seem to be able to download the Japan nor the Paderborn airport from the marketplace. It just hangs at some point a few MB in.

For me, it was a small Windows store download (which was triggered by opening the game, which started that before closing itself), which was followed by a multi-gigabyte in-game update.

• Options
    Drovek wrote: »

For me, it was a small Windows store download (which was triggered by opening the game, which started that before closing itself), which was followed by a multi-gigabyte in-game update.

Yeah, but after the update you need to hit the marketplace and grab the Japan Pack and the Paderborn airport, which are free packs. That's where I'm stuck right now.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Just in case anyone needed this information, but MSFS “runs” on an nVidia 560Ti. Gets like 8fps on rock bottom graphics settings running windowed 720p resolution. Not exactly playable but the fame does not crash. Might be able to find some tweaks here and there to get it better.

I’m just happy that video card still does anything at all. Waiting patiently for upgrade since my 970sc died last week...

• Options
    560ti is like... 10 years old so that's not surprising.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I got one when I built my last computer, in 2012!!
    So basically it sounds like it looks like MSFS 1996.