As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Cultural Event of [Blaseball]

PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, manAh, jeezRegistered User regular
edited September 2020 in Social Entropy++
Where to begin

Do you miss sports? Have you never fully understood the appeal of sports, but would like to? Do you enjoy sports, but feel guilty about the real-life toll sports take on the bodies and minds of athletes? Do you wanna have real strong opinions about someone named Randall Marijuana?

Well, Blaseball might just be for you!

So, uh, what's Blaseball?

Blaseball is, boiled down its mechanical essence, an AI-simulated sporting league. The core rules of the game the AI teams are playing resemble those of real-life baseball. Every season of Blaseball lasts a week. In a given season, teams will play 99 games. Post-season happens on the weekend.

Uh-huh. So what do I do, as a fan of Blaseball?

You can place bets on teams [with fake money, a la Saltybet], purchase upgrades that let you place higher bets, purchase upgrades that grant passive income. Oh, and you can buy votes.

Votes?

Yeah. Every week, elections are held to alter the rules of Blaseball. Teams might upgrade the Anti-Capitalism stat for all of their players, enabling their players to steal bases more efficiently. Votes might be cast to open a Forbidden Book, revealing some knowledge about hidden Blaseball mechanics, but at a terrible price.

This FAQ format is all well and good, but how about a straight pitch on why I should give a shit?

Blaseball bills itself as a "cultural event," and while this is mostly tongue-in-cheek, it's not far off the mark. It's a thing that you can invest as much, or as little, of your time and mental energy into as you want. And that investment will be repaid. You can get in DEEP, joining the Discord channels for your favorite team, drawing fanart of your favorite players, following games intently, learning all the chants and nicknames and lore. Or you can dip in, place some fake bets with fake money, see what happens the next time you log in. You don't have to be invested to have fun, you don't have to follow every move. Blaseball will continue with or without you. If you need Blaseball, it's there for you. If you don't wanna care too much, Blaseball won't fall apart if you're not around. I find that comforting.

Also, it's very funny. It's the highs and lows of a sport, sped up and amplified and filtered through the surreal. Your team doesn't lose a star player to a torn ACL, they're lost to a Rogue Umpire who wields the power to incinerate players. Players aren't "traded" between teams, they are "swapped" when cosmic feedback reaches the exact right frequency. Player names are randomly generated from a pool of randomized words, so you might so Basilio Fig hit a ground out to Tamara Crankit. If you give a shit, you can look up the Fan Lore about the tragic fate of Jaylen Hotdogfingers. If you don't give a shit, you can just chuckle at the name "Jaylen Hotdogfingers" and get on with your day.

The teams all have their own cultures and vibes, if exploring that sort of thing tickles your fancy. The Seattle Garages keep making SHOCKINGLY competent parodies of grunge and alt-rock songs, all about how they want to fight God (and also how their pitcher sucks). The Baltimore Crabs are moneyballing assholes loathed by the rest of the league. The Miami Dalé have an elaborate lore incorporating a whole lot of Pitbull-themed jokes.

There is a lengthy and useful FAQ about the finer points of Blaseball here: https://sourceful.co.uk/doc/503/blaseball-the-faq

We Are All Love Blaseball

Poorochondriac on

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    RIP in peace to Randall Marijuana, blazed in his prime

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Jessica Telephone is my idol

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Gonna need a reminder to actually pay attention to Blaseball next season

Someone at me and then immediately guilt me please thank you

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I haven't been following this too closely, but it pops up on my Twitter feed once in a while and seems like a fun weird thing.

I saw a summary of all the different stats when it first started and they are extremely good.

Also I don't know if Jon Bois is directly involved or just a fan, but it has his seal of approval, which is more than enough for me.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Jessica Telephone is my idol

My idol is Nagomi Mcdaniel, powerhouse hitter for my beloved Breckenridge Jazz Hands

I wake up every morning to three large in the bank thanks to her

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    my team the Mexico City Wild Wings have spent several days in a vicious legal battle with the commissioner after he dared to call us the Mild Wings

he just threw out our case after we submitted a 20 page brief outlining the basis for our defamation suit, but the Wild Wings Legal Team is consolidating our options

also our rotation is just fucking garbage how did we give up seven runs in four innings to the horrible Shoe Thieves

YaYa on
  • Options
    Well the commissioner is doing a great job

• Options
    My wife backs the Unlimited Tacos. One of her favorite players, Rat Mason ("Rat-a-tat-bat!") inhaled a stray peanut during a game, suffered an allergic reaction, and has lost an entire star of his batting ability.

Brutal

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I will always love my forever middle of the pack team that hates the sun and also God as much as I do, the Garages

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    gswltc0ccb7o.jpg

I come bearing only two guillotines forged of natural chitin, lifted unto the gods like the death threats they are.

• Options
    AzraithAzraith DON'T Registered User regular
    I'm a Sunbeams fan. Randall was my idol.

It's...it's been a ride I'll tell ya what.

kgefLUA.png
    Steam Live: Azraith PSN: AzraithDeMitri
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I will always love my forever middle of the pack team that hates the sun and also God as much as I do, the Garages

While I am not personally backing the Garages, I cannot overstate how fun their music is

https://thegarages.bandcamp.com/album/the-garages-kill-the-gods

"Fight Gods" is such a fucking jam

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Yo, I'm with the Band.

Garages 4 lyfe yo.

What other team has multiple best-selling albums?

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Houston Spies are just laying low gathering intelligence.

• Options
    EfGgnvWWoAAduUR.jpg:large

breaking the heel kayfabe for a second to say
    I joined on the Crabs at the end of S3 because Baltimore is the only city on the list I spend any real time in, and it's been a wild ride seeing how far our organization has gotten us, though part of me also cannot wait for us to just win a series already and allow someone else to be the new Tigers because being the mega-heel can be exhausting after a while

though in the meantime, god damn is it fun to be the ones breaking the game while it's still in this absolutely breakable beta

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I have decided that I am now ride or die for the Yellowstone Magic.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    As a Friday's fan, I really enjoyed the Crab's stealing Nagomi McDaniel for the start of season 4.
    Lots of fun being had there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzrsnoCjK5w

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Milleniaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaals!

[stares at phone, as is our custom]

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/)

• Options
    I have typed the phrase "My beloved Breckenridge Jazz Hands" so many times that my phone's auto-predict jumps in as soon as I type the word "my"

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    First off, thanks to Pooro for posting the better version of the OP of this thread that's been sitting in my drafts for a few days. I'm a godawful salesman, and it turns out that it's a mighty challenge to articulate all the different ways that blaseball and its community have pushed so many buttons on both sides of my brain here in hellworld 2020.

If I was forced to explain to friends and family all the reasons why I've become passionately attached to the Hawaii Fridays in the past month, they'd probably have me committed. But the short version is I spent actual American dollars last week commissioning art of a 1.5 star batter so that I can eventually start his blaseball twitter account.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    72 degrees and Infinite, baby!

I decided to follow the Tacos because I love tacos. And because NaN is the coolest!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Tacos usually aren't made on Naan though

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Tacos usually aren't made on Naan though

INFINITE Tacos

The tacos have NO LIMIT

Naan tacos, tortilla tacos, bread tacos, prosciutto tacos...

EDIT: WAit shit it's not even Infinite Tacos it's UNLIMITED TACOS

THE TACOS CARE NOT FOR YOUR SHACKLES

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    NaN is short for "Not a Number" ya silly gooses.

Also: EAT

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    bread tacos,

Isn't that just a hamburger/sloppy joe?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I haven’t had a lot of time to invest into this season and the last, which is for the best as a Tacos fan since I get to watch my team get worse every season.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Hawaii Fridays represent!

Baldwin Breadwinner feels like a real star right now. I think it's going to all work out.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    the fandom dynamic of this game has been really interesting to me for just how many different flavors of nerd have ended up in the Discord servers I'm active on

it's a surprisingly even mix of people new to splorts fandom and people with experience following baseball, as well as a fun mix of people who are really into the stats/voting aspects and people who are primarily there for the fanart and RP (and of course all of these categories I'm mentioning have substantial overlap)

now, when I do see conflict or friction between fans it can also follow these fault lines - there's definitely some culture shock for the new splorts fans upon realizing just how much experienced fans revel in a bit of inter-team fandom conflict, and the RP-heavy fans tend to get absolutely devastated if a character gets incinerated. the worst case so far I've seen was the person running the Randall Marijuana twitter account desperately needing financial assistance due to health insurance overcharges and then the actual ployer getting incinerated later that day. fucking brutal

the devs seem to have plans in mind for working to resolve a few of these tonal conflicts (especially the rich-get-richer stat grabs that the Crabs absolutely rolled this week), but it's gonna be a long few weeks while Blaseball figures out what it is, both at the level of the game itself as well as the fandom-driven meta

in the meantime, let's go Crabs, claws up, attack and dethrone god, etc

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    A good friend of mine who lives across the country and I don't get to talk with very often anymore was telling me about this. I saw some of his twitter interactions about it, too. I've been kind of invested in like three different things lately so I didn't think I could spend the time or energy for another thing.

But

you're telling me

there are

C R A B S

?????????

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    The introduction of idols has definitely helped if you’re following a team that loses more than it wins.

If your team ain’t great, it was getting a little rough if you had a string of bad bets to get back in it.

rhylith on
  • Options
    facetious wrote: »
    A good friend of mine who lives across the country and I don't get to talk with very often anymore was telling me about this. I saw some of his twitter interactions about it, too. I've been kind of invested in like three different things lately so I didn't think I could spend the time or energy for another thing.

But

you're telling me

there are

C R A B S

?????????

oq0r2740fhyb.jpg

come, my child, you have much to learn

• Options
    What do idols actually do, I've entirely forgotten to check in this week

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    What do idols actually do, I've entirely forgotten to check in this week

you can get passive income, based on a character you pick

there's a lot of money in the pitcher idolization options in particular, if you play it right
    also seems like the most idolized characters may get sacrificed??

• Options
    I picked the best hitter on my team (you can pick other teams but also who the hell wants to betray their own team?) and it’s a very reliable source of coins.

• Options
    I will laugh my ass off if all the top idols get incinerated by umps

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    my team has no players good enough to be in the Idol standings so my idol is Nagomi McDaniel

what a shame it will be if they get incinerated, and not at all good for the Wild Wings, no sir, no way

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    TEAM JAZZ HANDS ALL THE WAY

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    I made Stu Trololol of the Shoe Thieves my idol regardless of potential gains, because I am and will always be a member of the STU CRU

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I could only be a fan of the Pies. I haven't delved deep into the culture but I'm given to understand that everyone hates the Pies. It's sad but necessary.