As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I read that post and it was like, yeah it's cool and all, but it also provides zero news about the stuff people are actually curious about

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    That new launcher would be nice, but it doesn't look like it supports any other servers? Lame if true

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    They don't run any other servers

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    There are other private servers, and the other launchers that are currently used allow you to swap between them freely by just putting in a URL

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    IMO, they seem to be positioning themselves as the official, sanctioned server(s) - or laying the groundwork for that, at least.

Yup, and I have a feeling that Ncsoft is unwilling to be associated with a product that allows you to connect to a pro-nazi server

Most people should be, really

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Yup, and I have a feeling that Ncsoft is unwilling to be associated with a product that allows you to connect to a pro-nazi server

Wait, who is pro-nazi?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited August 2020
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Wait, who is pro-nazi?

Whatever the x-chan alt-right clusterfuck server was, IIRC

Added: Mostly my point is that there's no reason for Homecoming to make their own launcher that lets you launch *anybody's* private server, and a lot of reasons to avoid that

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    IMO, they seem to be positioning themselves as the official, sanctioned server(s) - or laying the groundwork for that, at least.

Yeah, and I think that kinda sucks tbh
    Not every server is the damn chan server, there's stuff like Sanctuary and Rebirth which are trying to build on i24

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Sure, but also, NCSoft. Also also, unless you're playing on multiple servers (which I imagine is a vanishingly small % of the playerbase) you just use that server's launcher and it makes no difference to you.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Wait, who is pro-nazi?

Whatever the x-chan alt-right clusterfuck server was, IIRC

Added: Mostly my point is that there's no reason for Homecoming to make their own launcher that lets you launch *anybody's* private server, and a lot of reasons to avoid that

Ah, Thunderspy. Which they recently touted as 'the premier City of Heroes single player experience' and honestly didn't realise what a self burn that was until later.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Oh, okay. I didn't know there was a server for a community like that. Let it stand as a trap to lure them away from the other servers.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Not every server is the damn chan server, there's stuff like Sanctuary and Rebirth which are trying to build on i24

Nothing I'm seeing here suggests that Homecoming'd go after and try to kill the other servers.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Limiting the access from the launcher may be a requirement of the negotiations with NC

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Hopefully Homecoming and NCsoft take no action to shut down other servers, but it's absolutely prudent to consider that a possibility. However I don't feel the new launcher is a sign of things either way, and probably not that detrimental to other servers.

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited August 2020
    Limiting the access from the launcher may be a requirement of the negotiations with NC

I don't really see that as a problem if HC becomes officially recognized.

Dac on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

be a bit of a problem, for those other servers, if HC gets the nod and everyone else gets C&Ds.

be a bit of a problem, for those other servers, if HC gets the nod and everyone else gets C&Ds.

Which, again, I don't see the Homecoming team pursuing, or NCsoft giving much of a fuck at this point.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular

Which, again, I don't see the Homecoming team pursuing, or NCsoft giving much of a fuck at this point.

Which wouldn't stop the lawyers from making the goal easier to achieve later if they so desired. There is literally no downside to requiring that HC lock out other servers from their launcher. It isn't even a trade off since HC could be found to be breaking copyright and trademark laws if NC gave a shit.

• FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular

While I agree with the overall sentiment, what makes you think NCSoft of all people has actual ideological convictions?

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    Fiaryn wrote: »

While I agree with the overall sentiment, what makes you think NCSoft of all people has actual ideological convictions?

They don't, but the PR staff will go choke a bitch if you make their job that hard for something that stupid.

• FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    We are talking about the same NCSoft right, the one that tried to Dick Dastardly forge a man's signature to tender his resignation while he was in space? I've never really gotten the impression they care about the concept of PR, especially PR involving western phenomenon/things only westerners care about.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    That's valid, NCSOFT has generally acted like a trash fire whenever possible

Hopefully the Homecoming team displays an above average awareness of their own PR presence and are willing to protect it

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    ux05akv9xxam.jpg

ew9y0DD.png
    Detroit Proc City!

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    It's much harder showing off my Shield Charge and Soul Drain and Dark Consumption triple nuke.

...on a tanker.

So much damage.

ew9y0DD.png
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    I never really got the instinct for proc slotting. I just throw in full sets to get the prizes at 5 and 6.

Knocking out the last of the Praetorians I needed for Portal Jockey, and I was struck by something. Praetorian Infernal's really got the short end of the stick, hasn't he? He's not involved in any big plots, he doesn't show up in any incarnate trials, I don't think he even has an updated model. He's just the same argh ragh demon guy he's been since launch.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    So on stuff. Kinda just doing alts to see what sticks, decided to go full meta and do Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper. Tried TW like 5 times already on Brutes, liking it more on Scrapper. Also my costume is great:
    w06fbutfluc9.png
    rwxmm8lad8fn.png
    I may have taken a little bit of inspiration of a Smite character. Deal with Bio is that the theme seems strict, but you can get around it. Tried a Blood themed costume first:
    1elweflv1kx9.png
    But got bored easily, wasn't too inspiring. So, made a new one and changed the name. In Homecoming you get A LOT of name changes, so if you like how a toon plays but don't like the concept, can always change it.

On stuff, TW is TW. Momentum is there, as always. Bio is not only a bunch of offensive bonuses and a -Res aura, but it has several clicky powers that feel fun to use. Kinda just doing Task Forces with double XP until 32, I'm at 29 already.

TryCatcher on
    edited September 2020
    Bio's pretty neat. I have a spine/bio with minimal armor to pretty good effect. Added on Dark Mastery to become a cone-based lifeform.

9clnorav8boi.png

Harlequin Cirsium, made for a Carnival of Light supergroup back in the days before we knew what Praetoria's deal actually was.

Glazius on
    Homecoming announced new content coming soon
    • 2 new storyarcs, one for each side, about the Freakshow trying to take over Dr. Vahzilok's research and tech, featuring new enemies
    • A new Blaster secondary, Sonic Manipulation, focuses on sound powers and a unique Migraine mechanic that can proc holds on enemies
    • Asymmetrical shoulder costume options
    • Rebalancing Blaster secondaries
    and more

• Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    This coming back got me going on some heavy nostalgia from when I was in college and got out my old CCG boxes. I totally forgot I had handful of the CoH CCG game. Anyone else play this or buy cards? I never had anyone to play with - plus I only have 20 some cards that I am not sure even make a playable deck.

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    This coming back got me going on some heavy nostalgia from when I was in college and got out my old CCG boxes. I totally forgot I had handful of the CoH CCG game. Anyone else play this or buy cards? I never had anyone to play with - plus I only have 20 some cards that I am not sure even make a playable deck.

I don't think I ever saw them aside from a packin with one of the games.

Decided to play my Poison Defender today, figured hey, I'll hop into a 47 PI mission team, why not, should be fun.

Spent most of the mission trying to hit ... anything before all the enemies died because there was a vet blaster chaining novas and judgments constantly mob group to mob group.

Then I remembered why I fucking hate 45+ content lol.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Decided to play my Poison Defender today, figured hey, I'll hop into a 47 PI mission team, why not, should be fun.

Spent most of the mission trying to hit ... anything before all the enemies died because there was a vet blaster chaining novas and judgments constantly mob group to mob group.

Then I remembered why I fucking hate 45+ content lol.

I'm not quite at 50 and don't have any clue what I'm doing but you can always ask for my brute to show up. At the least I'll take some hits for you

I honestly wonder why tricked out 50s play in PI mission teams.

My Poison/DP Defender is a lot of fun. Debuffs like whoa and even though DP is kinda poopy, which Chem rounds it's adding to debuffs and I have good PBAoE stuff going on, so.

ew9y0DD.png
    I agree, playing a defender is like taking a poison/dp: very poopy

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    I agree, playing a defender is like taking a poison/dp: very poopy

Counterpoint: Fire Blast.

ew9y0DD.png
  • tricontricon Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    I honestly wonder why tricked out 50s play in PI mission teams.

My Poison/DP Defender is a lot of fun. Debuffs like whoa and even though DP is kinda poopy, which Chem rounds it's adding to debuffs and I have good PBAoE stuff going on, so.

The last time I have played CoX with a DP/Martial Blaster the nuke Hail of Bullets was bugged on the Blaster side and would do only a fraction of the damge, not sure if Defenders run into the same bug.

DP needs procs, lots of procs, the do even more for Defenders as for Blasters
    You activated the Suppressive Fire power.
    HIT Chimera! Your Suppressive Fire power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 16.29.
    You hit Chimera with your Suppressive Fire for 4.1 points of Lethal damage.
    You hit Chimera with your Suppressive Fire for 5.47 points of Fire damage.
    You Hold Chimera with your Suppressive Fire.
    You hit Chimera with your Gladiator's Javelin: Chance for Toxic Damage for 39.52 points of Toxic damage.
    You hit Chimera with your Unbreakable Constraint: Chance for Smashing Damage for 78.65 points of Smashing damage.
    You hit Chimera with your Ghost Widow's Embrace: Chance for Psionic Damage for 52.69 points of Psionic damage.
    You hit Chimera with your Neuronic Shutdown: Chance for Psionic Damage for 52.69 points of Psionic damage.
    You hit Chimera with your Gladiator's Net: Chance for Lethal Damage for 39.52 points of Lethal damage.
    You Hold Chimera with your Lockdown: Chance for +2 Mag Hold.

HIT Home Companion! Your Suppressive Fire power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 29.60.
    You Reach for the Limit and are more deadly for a short while.
    You hit Home Companion with your Suppressive Fire for 4.18 points of Lethal damage.
    You hit Home Companion with your Suppressive Fire for 4.18 points of Fire damage.
    You Hold Home Companion with your Suppressive Fire.
    You hit Home Companion with your Gladiator's Javelin: Chance for Toxic Damage for 46.63 points of Toxic damage.
    You hit Home Companion with your Unbreakable Constraint: Chance for Smashing Damage for 69.6 points of Smashing damage.
    You hit Home Companion with your Ghost Widow's Embrace: Chance for Psionic Damage for 46.63 points of Psionic damage.
    You hit Home Companion with your Neuronic Shutdown: Chance for Psionic Damage for 46.63 points of Psionic damage.
    You Hold Home Companion with your Lockdown: Chance for +2 Mag Hold.
    You tap into your inner core with your Reach for the Limit and are more deadly for a short while.

Suppressive Fire is recharged.
    HIT Marauder! Your Suppressive Fire power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 35.92.
    Pistols is recharged.
    Executioner's Shot is recharged.
    You Reach for the Limit and are more deadly for a short while.
    You hit Marauder with your Suppressive Fire for 1.46 points of Lethal damage.
    You hit Marauder with your Suppressive Fire for 1.46 points of Fire damage.
    You Hold Marauder with your Suppressive Fire.
    You hit Marauder with your Gladiator's Javelin: Chance for Toxic Damage for 13.98 points of Toxic damage.
    You hit Marauder with your Unbreakable Constraint: Chance for Smashing Damage for 6.95 points of Smashing damage.
    You hit Marauder with your Ghost Widow's Embrace: Chance for Psionic Damage for 55.96 points of Psionic damage.
    You hit Marauder with your Neuronic Shutdown: Chance for Psionic Damage for 55.96 points of Psionic damage.
    You hit Marauder with your Gladiator's Net: Chance for Lethal Damage for 13.98 points of Lethal damage.
    You Hold Marauder with your Lockdown: Chance for +2 Mag Hold.

Don't worry, I'm good with procs. Despite the 95% hit check there, yours looks like it's got pretty low accuracy potentially with 6 procs and no accuracy buffs.

hgg53mk3h38b.png

ew9y0DD.png