As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There is a [Conspiracy Thread] here, and I will seek it out!

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

Ben Collins is a Q expert

God we are completely fucked as a country

Makes sense, suburban moms are very active online, so they would be next to fall under the online indoctrination

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Makes sense, suburban moms are very active online, so they would be next to fall under the online indoctrination

This also seems like a group that tends to be institutionally paranoid. The hyper alert "MUST FIND ALL THREATS EVEN IF THEY DON'T EXIST" kind of thing that leads to one moral panic over nothing after another.

(which, come to think about it, could be a reason they go for Q crap more than the other conspiracy stuff- kids involved)

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Anti-vaxxers are right there, and have been waging that war for near 20 years.

I'd argue they are the easiest to indoctrinate.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I swear watching shows like law and order SVU rots your brain.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Statistically, if you're going to worry about pedophiles you really need to worry about your own family far, far more than random strangers. The numbers are obscenely stacked towards your child being abused by someone they have regular contact with over random strangers.

But you wouldn't know that from the way we craft policy for children and modern child rearing practices.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Also cable news. BE AFRAID! Everything is out to get you!

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I think most QAnon types tend to be older, so grandmas and grandpas rather than parents, who tend to be too busy to obsessively research a conspiracy theory on the internet.

But there is a theory that this is being driven by women who've seen how abuse is covered up and are eager to extrapolate this to a grand conspiracy rather than lots of smaller ones.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    It's interesting that of all the things the world has tried to prevent abuse (and other crimes, suicide, self harm, etc) the most effective one has historically been inconvenience.

In the old motive/means/opportunity trio, once motive exists means can be come by, but opportunity must present itself or be sought out. Infinitely easier to come by when you already exist inside a potential victim's guard.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    What the fuck qualifies you as a q expert and how does that get you verified on twitter?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    He's just a journo who's been covering Q for like two years

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Osama bin Laden's niece is a Trump supporter who has also backed the QAnon conspiracy theory movement
    Noor bin Ladin, the niece of terrorist leader Osama bin Laden, revealed she’s a big fan of President Donald Trump in an interview with the New York Post.
    “I have been a supporter of President Trump since he announced he was running in the early days in 2015. I have watched from afar and I admire this man’s resolve,” said the Switzerland resident.
    Trump has long been accused of spreading anti-Muslim hate speech and pledged to ban Muslims from the US during his 2016 election campaign.
    But Noor bin Ladin claims that the US would be better protected from a second 9/11 under Trump.
    https://twitter.com/NoorBinLadin/status/1262120584688926720
    On Twitter, bin Ladin has posted pictures of herself wearing clothing emblazoned with pro-Trump slogans, with hashtags from the pro-Trump QAnon conspiracy movement.
    She has also shared pro-Trump propaganda and attacks on the Black Lives Matter movement, and clips of Fox News host Tucker Carlson, a Trump ally.
    In her interview with the Post, Noor bin Ladin said that growing up in the West meant she had a strong appreciation of western liberal values.
    “My life would have been very different had I been raised in Saudi Arabia,” she said. “I really grew up with this deep appreciation for freedom and basic individual rights.”

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

How does this idea square with all the polling and electoral evidence we have of Biden and democrats making huge gains in the suburbs?

I'm skeptical of there being statistical evidence for qanon infecting the brains of suburban women and turning them into Trump voters, as the tweet there suggests.

shryke on
  • Options
    This isn't Trump or the Republicans gaining new supporters, it's their core congealing into a sticky mass of concentrated crazy.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I think most QAnon types tend to be older, so grandmas and grandpas rather than parents, who tend to be too busy to obsessively research a conspiracy theory on the internet.

But there is a theory that this is being driven by women who've seen how abuse is covered up and are eager to extrapolate this to a grand conspiracy rather than lots of smaller ones.

Listening to the QAnon Anonymous podcast has shown me that some of the leaders in the Q movement are fairly young people in their 20s or 30s. The guy who basically sparked the "Save the Children" marches is an aspiring rapper in his 20s.

• Options
    There's a lot of anecdotal evidence. And Q-Anon is broad enough that there is a lot of support from surprising areas. eg. on tumblr, child trafficking is a common cause. It ties together corrupt police/POC victims/corrupt politicians into one neat conspiracy. And then that fits Q-Anon like a glove. So its not unusual to see a fairly left twitter user posting anti-Trump tweets side by side with Q-Anon hashtags and shibboleths (because what kind of monster wouldn't want to #savethechildren?). The Epstein stuff is fairly universal to, there's enough people adjacent to or associated with him that you can focus on the one's you don't like. Left wingers point at Trump, right wingers point at Clinton. Its such a broad conspiracy theory, but it somehow turns that into a strength to suck in even more people.

• Options
    If they're talking adrenochrome and frazzledrip though, you know you've got a true believer.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    If they're talking adrenochrome and frazzledrip though, you know you've got a true believer.

Those aren't real words. You just made those up

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

all words are made up. no word is real.

• Options

"Adrenochrome" is technically a pre-existing word. Hunter S Thompson talked about getting high off of it in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Frazzledrip was that bird game every one was addicted to on their phones ya?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

"Adrenochrome" is technically a pre-existing word. Hunter S Thompson talked about getting high off of it in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

It's a real chemical compound, just one far less deserving of its name than Thompson's fictionalized version of it.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Of all the insanity of Qanon it’s the part where Donald Trump is the avenging angel that gets me. Donald “I would date my daughter/grab em by the pussy” Trump

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Of all the insanity of Qanon it’s the part where Donald Trump is the avenging angel that gets me. Donald “I would date my daughter/grab em by the pussy” Trump

Donald "I've known Jeff (Epstein) for fifteen years. Terrific guy. ...he likes his beautiful woman as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side" Trump.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

No no, it's a Jim Henson show about a cave dwelling civilization.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

No no, it's a Jim Henson show about a cave dwelling civilization.

How dare you bring Fragglerock into this. HOW DARE YOU!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Kenneth Branagh and Sean Bean are the same person and they pick who they are going to be based on potential roles.

Kenneth is the serious one and Sean is the fun one.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Next term, Biden is gonna have to fight Qanon’s successor: Qanondorf.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

I can see how one would arrive at that conclusion, however.

Dissatisfaction with "Establishment" politicians -> Trump promises Swamp Drainage, you vote for him -> He utterly fails to deliver -> Humans are terrible at admitting they've been misled because shame sucks -> "There must be a plan to drain the swamp and I just don't know what it is"

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    There's a lot of anecdotal evidence. And Q-Anon is broad enough that there is a lot of support from surprising areas. eg. on tumblr, child trafficking is a common cause. It ties together corrupt police/POC victims/corrupt politicians into one neat conspiracy. And then that fits Q-Anon like a glove. So its not unusual to see a fairly left twitter user posting anti-Trump tweets side by side with Q-Anon hashtags and shibboleths (because what kind of monster wouldn't want to #savethechildren?). The Epstein stuff is fairly universal to, there's enough people adjacent to or associated with him that you can focus on the one's you don't like. Left wingers point at Trump, right wingers point at Clinton. Its such a broad conspiracy theory, but it somehow turns that into a strength to suck in even more people.
    Man I was just tempting fate with this post. My super enviro-leftie uncle just shared a #saveourchildren post. Which looks totally fine on its own but jeez, that page is nothing but QAnon paranoia. I'm not too worried about him, he just shares random feel good inspirational shit all the time, but its still concerning that it has such a wide reach.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Man I was just tempting fate with this post. My super enviro-leftie uncle just shared a #saveourchildren post. Which looks totally fine on its own but jeez, that page is nothing but QAnon paranoia. I'm not too worried about him, he just shares random feel good inspirational shit all the time, but its still concerning that it has such a wide reach.

imo you should reach out and mention that he accidentally shared dangerous conspiracy info.

• Options
    Hmm yeah. I wasn't gonna, but you're right.

• Options
    Make sure you mention it’s a pro-Trump group.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    On the subject of Q, the police in Georgia recently claimed to have saved dozens of children from a trafficking ring.

The actual number was zero. What they'd done was basically a welfare sweep of children in the family court system, some of them were living with friends, relatives, or a parent who didn't have custody. Most turned up at home on their own. A couple were located in their home. None were victims of trafficking and those that were victims of abuse suffered at the hands of their caregivers, not members of some global cabal.

The worst part of it is, the reason such a large coordinated sweep had to be done was because there were numerous cases being ignored, it eventually got bad enough to dedicate a whole operation to catching up on them before parents started going to the media.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

Folding Ideas, a YouTube video essayist who usually focuses on pop culture and film analysis, has made an 80 minute-long video about Flat Earth. I am only about a third of the way through but it's an analysis of the phenomenon that brings up some points I hadn't considered about it before, and reinforces to me that there is no such thing as a "safe" belief in these sorts of things.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    There are reports of armed militias pulling people aside in Oregon as they're leaving the fire, looking for Aunty-Fa. I can't find the thread now, but one reporter was Tweeting while he was being held and interrogated by a white supremacist militia.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I am only about a third of the way through

>.>
    <.<

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

Folding Ideas, a YouTube video essayist who usually focuses on pop culture and film analysis, has made an 80 minute-long video about Flat Earth. I am only about a third of the way through but it's an analysis of the phenomenon that brings up some points I hadn't considered about it before, and reinforces to me that there is no such thing as a "safe" belief in these sorts of things.

The video takes a turn into Qanon stuff too.

Its very good.

• Options
    Nice that the FBI corrects the record about “extremists” while doing nothing about the armed gangs of right-wing terrorists (so-called militia) oppressing people.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    On the subject of Q, the police in Georgia recently claimed to have saved dozens of children from a trafficking ring.

The actual number was zero. What they'd done was basically a welfare sweep of children in the family court system, some of them were living with friends, relatives, or a parent who didn't have custody. Most turned up at home on their own. A couple were located in their home. None were victims of trafficking and those that were victims of abuse suffered at the hands of their caregivers, not members of some global cabal.

The worst part of it is, the reason such a large coordinated sweep had to be done was because there were numerous cases being ignored, it eventually got bad enough to dedicate a whole operation to catching up on them before parents started going to the media.

This is actually afaik basically how this always goes. This hysteria about child sex trafficking rings and the like is almost entirely built on the back of over-hyped press releases about much more mundane things.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »

This is actually afaik basically how this always goes. This hysteria about child sex trafficking rings and the like is almost entirely built on the back of over-hyped press releases about much more mundane things.

I just read an article about that.

Basically the numbers people use are all based on one government employees estimates with no proof of methodology for the numbers and a paper a researcher now no longer supports.