As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Heroes of the Storm] thread: Don't get excited, Dibby; we're just talking.

• traibtraib Registered User regular
    computers are not easy

i open the case and i get confused

i open the bios and i get confused

i try to clean my keyboard and i don't get confused but it is pretty gross so i keep putting it off

i just want to hit people with spells

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I've order a 2TB SSD to replace my dying drive. Unfortunately, my C drive only has 250GB and is always like 30GB from being full, which stops me from downloading a lot of games. I don't want to have to replace it too. How hard is it to make your D drive your C drive these days?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Suggestion for new thread title:

"HDDs fried in the Storm"

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I've order a 2TB SSD to replace my dying drive. Unfortunately, my C drive only has 250GB and is always like 30GB from being full, which stops me from downloading a lot of games. I don't want to have to replace it too. How hard is it to make your D drive your C drive these days?

Not sure what you mean.... For games, you can just swap whatever drive they're installed on. For the OS, I forget how hard it is to switch that to a separate drive.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Mostly the OS stuff. Moving HotS to the D drive will help. That game is hogging space.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    What exactly is your situation? Is the following correct? You have a C drive that contains your OS and some installed programs. You also have a dying D drive that contains lots of games and such?

If you so choose, then it should be possible to set things up so that the new SSD is partitioned in such a way that it contains a "New C drive" and "new D drive" that both exist on the same SSD and so that everything looks the same to you as a user.

I'm assuming that the SSD is sufficiently large to store the data of both drives, and that you have some other place to temporarily store a backup image of the dying drive such as a large external hard drive.

I'd probably start by by using some disk imaging software to clone your C drive to your new SSD. Then you can remove the old C drive and boot from the SSD. You could then use the disk imaging software to create a backup image of your dying D drive, and then restore that image to the free space on the new SSD. Then you could remove the old D drive from the computer.

You may need to spend some time in windows disk management to mount the freshly restored image of the D drive as the "D: Drive" once the old D drive has been physically removed.

I like using Macrium Reflect as my disk imaging software, but the free version has limited capabilities. I don't recall if it lets you backup or image a drive that is actively running an OS. If you have a second computer that you can borrow, you might be able to get around that by plugging the old C drive and new SSD into the secondary computer and perform the cloning process with the secondary computer.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    traib wrote: »
    computers are not easy

i try to clean my keyboard and i don't get confused but it is pretty gross so i keep putting it off

i was building a computer for the first time way earlier this year and it took me like a month to get through it and i cried a lot and i was very confused and brain hurt bad ouchies

but i did it i guess

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Mostly the OS stuff. Moving HotS to the D drive will help. That game is hogging space.

What SSD did you buy? As I mentioned in my other post, most major brands now come with free imaging software that allows you to basically swap the old drive with the new one. The basic steps are usually something like: plug in the new drive, run the imaging software, disconnect the old HDD, et voila your PC is exactly the same except the new drive replaced the old one. Samsung's software is, in my experience, the easiest to use, but it's not exactly rocket surgery either way.

If you want to continue using the old HDD, then you just have to make sure that the boot device in your BIOS is set to your SSD, plug in the old HDD, et voila you now have an extra HDD drive that you can reformat/wipe to use as you see fit. Given your description of your old drive, though, I probably wouldn't bother continuing to use it and would probably just wipe and recycle it.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    This guy plays Kerrigan hands-free better than the majority of players who use both hands:
    https://youtu.be/wSFDCgfGA9U

Don't forget to reinstall if you haven't recently. Blizz is not actually made up of good developers. I freed up like 10-20 GB by doing that earlier today.
    Dibby wrote: »
    traib wrote: »
    computers are not easy

i was building a computer for the first time way earlier this year and it took me like a month to get through it and i cried a lot and i was very confused and brain hurt bad ouchies

but i did it i guess

I also did not enjoy the experience of building my PC. I get how some people do, and think it's easy and simple, and I understand there are benefits. But ugh I didn't like it.
    This guy plays Kerrigan hands-free better than the majority of players who use both hands:
    https://youtu.be/wSFDCgfGA9U

lol that's ridiculous and amazing

Steam profile
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Please stick to on-topic discussion in the PC tech support thread.

forty wrote: »
    Please stick to on-topic discussion in the PC tech support thread.

I was waiting for a post like this thank you forty

DNiDlnb.png
    What exactly is your situation? Is the following correct? You have a C drive that contains your OS and some installed programs. You also have a dying D drive that contains lots of games and such?

If you so choose, then it should be possible to set things up so that the new SSD is partitioned in such a way that it contains a "New C drive" and "new D drive" that both exist on the same SSD and so that everything looks the same to you as a user.

I'm assuming that the SSD is sufficiently large to store the data of both drives, and that you have some other place to temporarily store a backup image of the dying drive such as a large external hard drive.

I'd probably start by by using some disk imaging software to clone your C drive to your new SSD. Then you can remove the old C drive and boot from the SSD. You could then use the disk imaging software to create a backup image of your dying D drive, and then restore that image to the free space on the new SSD. Then you could remove the old D drive from the computer.

You may need to spend some time in windows disk management to mount the freshly restored image of the D drive as the "D: Drive" once the old D drive has been physically removed.

I like using Macrium Reflect as my disk imaging software, but the free version has limited capabilities. I don't recall if it lets you backup or image a drive that is actively running an OS. If you have a second computer that you can borrow, you might be able to get around that by plugging the old C drive and new SSD into the secondary computer and perform the cloning process with the secondary computer.

Sorry to derail the thread with PC tech talk. But yes, my C drive is a Samsung 250GB SSD and the new drive I ordered is a Samsung 2TB SSD. I've got most of my pics, videos, and voice over work on my 1TB HDD right now. I need to get all that onto the new SSD before I do anything else.

The original idea back when I built the machine was that I'd install everything on the C drive since it was an SSD, then put all the "storage" stuff on the D drive. 5 years of updates and game bloat eat up space I guess. Maybe I can keep the C drive as is and just install all my games on the new D drive since it'll be SSD as well.

I can also move this discussion to PMs if everyone is sick of talking tech and wants to talk about D.Va and Gaz.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I don't think you need to move your OS? Just use the new drive for everything else basically.

Steam profile
    edited September 2020
    I'd just use the Samsung image copy software and ditch/reformat the old HDD. If you really want to clean house then I'd suggest either: (1) deleting everything you can easily reinstall (like HotS) or don't want to keep and then copying the image, or (2) just doing a fresh Windows reinstall to the SSD by plugging it in and using the built-in Windows functionality, which will deactivate the Windows installation on your HDD and install a fresh one on your SSD. The latter is probably the "cleanest" option if you literally want to reinstall everything from scratch with a brand-new Windows version that has no baggage attached to it.

Inquisitor77 on
    edited September 2020
    kime wrote: »
    I don't think you need to move your OS? Just use the new drive for everything else basically.

Right. He doesn't need to. The only reason to really touch the C drive is a concern that it may be nearing the end of its lifespan too.

The better solution to that fear is to set aside some storage space such as a large external hard drive or some network attached storage and then configure a backup schedule so that your computer will back up its hard drives to the external storage. That way, if it fails before you replace the computer, you can just buy a new hard drive and restore your backup. For the smaller OS drive, I'd recommend using disk imaging software to make use of a mix of differential and/or incremental images of the hard disk so that you can restore the entire hard disk from backup in the event of failure. For the larger D drive, it may be more prudent to just synchronize the documents that you truly care about to the backup storage since I'm presuming that you don't care too greatly about large game installations and are willing to re-install games after the fact in the event of a failure. In this case, backing up everything in your pictures, videos, and voice work folders while not wasting backup storage on "games that are too damn big."

Also, it may be worth restating that hard drive failure of HDD's and SDD's reaching the end of their lifespan tends to differ. With an HDD, generally the drive eventually dies due to mechanical failure and it subsequently becomes incapable of reading or writing to its disks. With an SSD, the common concern is that each block of memory has a finite number of times that it can be written to. However that data can still be read from that block of memory, so it's easier to recover data from the drive.

I was assuming earlier that Dover's OS drive was an older HDD and that he was interested in upgrading to putting his OS on an SSD.

Given this knowledge, I agree with Inquisitor. Just clone the dying HDD to the SDD. Then you'll probably want to go into windows disk management to expand the size of that drive's partition since the clone will probably be configured with the old drive's capacity of 1TB and I assume Dover wants the full 2 TB. Then, going forward, I'd recommend looking into setting up some storage space for backups if you're truly concerned about hard disk failure.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Got my 2TB drive. Went to install it and realized I need a Sata cable...which I don't have. So I had to order that.

I'm so bad at computers.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Got my 2TB drive. Went to install it and realized I need a Sata cable...which I don't have. So I had to order that.

I'm so bad at computers.

Is your wife not letting you turn off her computer and use one of the Sata cables that she's presently using for the duration that it takes to clone the drive?

3DS Friend Code:
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Title updated, so as to more accurately reflect the new purpose of this thread.

milk ducks on
    edited September 2020

I'm so bad at computers.

Is your wife not letting you turn off her computer and use one of the Sata cables that she's presently using for the duration that it takes to clone the drive?

I hadn't thought of that, but probably no. It would have to be overnight since she's working all day on the computer today, or crushing people in HotS. Guess I'll have a spare cable. I'm so bad at computers.

Edit: In HotS related news, I'm down to Bronze 3 after finishing my placement matches at Silver 2. Then my losses were dropping me by 500 points?! Now I'm "down" to only 260 a loss. Jesus game, I know I'm not good, but what did I do to deserve this?

Edit 2: Well this isn't getting done anytime soon.
    f46cwb5u73k1.png

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page

I'm so bad at computers.

Ya gotta get one of those fancy M.2 SSDs that plug right into the motherboard.

No cables needed. It was actually super easy installing mine, but you also need a compatible motherboard with an M.2 slot, so...

DNiDlnb.png
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    New DVA is real good. Had some MVP games with her. Micro missiles animation stopping your machine guns feels a bit clunky, but still a great new ult.

Moridin889 wrote: »
    New DVA is real good. Had some MVP games with her. Micro missiles animation stopping your machine guns feels a bit clunky, but still a great new ult.

All abilities stop autoattacks, it's standard behavior.

If D.Va's AAs continued during Micro Missiles that'd be insanely broken lmaooo

DNiDlnb.png
    iKJ5Wtd.jpg

It's hard to resist the siren song of globes...

Steam profile
    1b24loj5jcc7.png

Let's see, a team full of squishies without escapes? Yup, this Butcher gonna get fed. I went full D-Matrix build, dove into groups, made them all sad and weak (reducing armor and healing was a plus) then Bunny Hopped to hold them in place for Butcher to pick out his favorite meal. It was all quite disgusting. Without any CC to worry about, I felt practically invincible. The 2 deaths I had were all from Mech deaths.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • tyrantula22tyrantula22 Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    iKJ5Wtd.jpg

Is the hard part learning to not pick convection like 99% of the time?

Battletag: Tyrantula22#1623
    Steam ID
    "You have to press D, then W? Mark him as 'Hard'."

I'm tellin' ya, it's the globes. You've never seen a KT that won't suicide for globe dings.

Steam profile
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    League meme, but I figured it belonged here, too.

1bgukvwp9l8v.jpg

milk ducks on
    The wife started a A-Z drawing series of the HotS roster. She decided to skip Aba because he's tough to draw (and icky), so she started Alarak.

ann0ga7vv90h.jpg

Not bad for someone who's only been doing art for about a year and a half. She's looking up Alex pics for her next piece.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I see you on that front page of the HotS reddit, @MNC Dover :D

DNiDlnb.png
    Dibby wrote: »
    I see you on that front page of the HotS reddit, @MNC Dover :D

You know it man! Wife carrying me on Reddit as well.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Wow I can't believe we won so hard in this brawl.

Having that unstoppable REALLY hurts butcher a toooon.
    82m3nt2u13dp.jpg

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Also yeah I was hitting all the wrong buttons by this point
    >.<'
    843sft66rn5o.jpg

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    Oh god I can't imagine trying to play that Garrosh build.

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    League meme, but I figured it belonged here, too.

1bgukvwp9l8v.jpg

i'm in this picture and I don't like it

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
    I got to bronze 2 this afternoon, but then lost and fell back to bronze 3 again. Looks like my unofficial Bronze to GM challenge is off to a rocky start.

Also, new D.Va is great. I’m really sold on the healing in autos at 1 over the fountain talent. Wave clear and sustain let’s her bully a lane hard. And for the time being, I’m testing out full W build for slow, dmg reduction, armor down, healing reduction, and sustain. Been good so far, but makes me useless outside of Mech.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Looking at Heroes Profile Quickmatch stats, the reworks basically flipped D.Va and Gazlowe. Prepatch, D.Va was near the bottom of win rates, Gazlowe was hanging around in the top 1/4 or so. Now, D.Va is damn near the top, and Gazlowe is hanging out near the bottom.

My wife’s art work doubled my karma and was at the top of the HotS subreddit for a few hours. Tons of kind comments (via rude Alarak quotes) and requests to do the rest (and Aba). Looks like she’s gonna have to do the rest now.

And, she got an offer for a job she applied to! Great day all-around.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page