As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Wait, so... On the Mac you paste into GoodNotes, open the image on the iPad in GoodNotes, doodle, then... Doesn't that sync back to the Mac GoodNotes? (AKA "What Tav said there.")

I mean there's also AirDrop. (Airdrop? AiRDroP? Whatever caps they picked.)

dporowski on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, that's what I guess I failed to get across - I paste the image into GoodNotes on the Mac, let it sync to the iPad, doodle there, but back on the Mac I take a screenshot of what's in GoodNotes rather than get a proper image exported out of GoodNotes. Might be possible to do it better in GoodNotes, need to look closer at what's squirreled away in the menus.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Yeah that shit should sync back. Might need a kick or an app restart depending on the app, but if it goes one way, it'll go the other unless the app dev did something real weird.

If it doesn't, my suggestion would be airdrop the edited image back to your mac.

Edit: Oh wait, if you see the changes... Yeah I would assume an export, or "save as" type of function. Never used the app, so I don't know for sure.

dporowski on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Hey, iPhone peeps. A friend of mine is having a problem. She's used to plugging her phone into her laptop (a PC), copying her photos over to the laptop and then deleting them off the phone from the laptop. But the last few times she's plugged the phone inter her laptop, it won't let her delete the photos, with an error message to the effect of "you don't have permission to delete that". Any suggestions as to how to fix this?

• Options
    Vaguely related to my previous question: how do you people organize your ecosystem when there's a Windows machine involved? Occasionally I want to shovel data to/from the Windows machine as well. Sure, there's always ye olde USB stick, but I'd rather avoid that for teeny-tiny files.

I've been told iCloud for Windows is a steaming dung pile. I do have Dropbox, but I'm really not a fan of the pile of bloat their client turned into.

• Options
    From Mac, or iThingie? From a Mac, I think it's usually been something like basic network sharing, SMB, etc. I want to say both play fairly well with "I want to share these files to this machine over the network" kinds of thing.

• Options
    So I just so happened to get a pretty hefty raise today and now I'm considering treating myself to the Magic Keyboard Folio, because this footprint is just annoying. It takes up more space than my 15" Macbook.

ye6bs898gs78.png

• Options
    So apparently the spatial audio thing is out for Airpods Pro now, for iOS/iPadOS 14. I wonder if I can test it with something.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Jazz wrote: »
    Hey, iPhone peeps. A friend of mine is having a problem. She's used to plugging her phone into her laptop (a PC), copying her photos over to the laptop and then deleting them off the phone from the laptop. But the last few times she's plugged the phone inter her laptop, it won't let her delete the photos, with an error message to the effect of "you don't have permission to delete that". Any suggestions as to how to fix this?

Not a direct answer, but I just tried it now and it worked okay for me; phone is still on iOS 13.6.1, though, and I have 'keep originals' set under settings for photos, so the phone doesn't try and convert them while copying them off. (when it was set to 'transfer to PC or Mac as "automatic"', I couldn't get videos off any more because the phone would try and convert them from heic to mp4 or something and fail).

(I can delete photos both by hitting 'delete' and cut-paste from windows explorer)

(edit: still works okay for me on ios 13.7)

djmitchella on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Vaguely related to my previous question: how do you people organize your ecosystem when there's a Windows machine involved? Occasionally I want to shovel data to/from the Windows machine as well. Sure, there's always ye olde USB stick, but I'd rather avoid that for teeny-tiny files.

I've been told iCloud for Windows is a steaming dung pile. I do have Dropbox, but I'm really not a fan of the pile of bloat their client turned into.

This probably isn’t helpful, but I use a Synology NAS and their file transfer apps along with CIFS. Or google drive. Or Dropbox if for whatever reason that feels like the right choice, but you’re right that client sucks ass

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Summary of the event:
    iOS 14 out tomorrow
    New watches S6 and SE. SE is $279 and is basically an S5 with no ECG.
    Watch S6 has a new CPU, pulse-ox sensor, and a brighter display for same prices as last year.
    Base iPad updated to A12 SoC from A10, same prices. This will be $250 on black friday.
    iPad Air updated to new A14 SoC and new case, costs $599. No reason to get an iPad Pro unless you are developing lidar apps.
    New service bundle if you're way deep in the ecosystem.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Summary of the event:
    iOS 14 out tomorrow
    New watches S6 and SE. SE is $279 and is basically an S5 with no ECG.
    Watch S6 has a new CPU, pulse-ox sensor, and a brighter display for same prices as last year.
    Base iPad updated to A12 SoC from A10, same prices. This will be $250 on black friday.
    iPad Air updated to new A14 SoC and new case, costs $599. No reason to get an iPad Pro unless you are developing lidar apps.
    New service bundle if you're way deep in the ecosystem.

One big thing on the service bundle is now being able to share icloud plans with family. That wasn't possible before which was *super* annoying.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    My wife and I definitely share an iCloud plan already? I think the minimum is the 200GB plan, but it ends up costing the same as each of us having our own 50GB plan or whatever.

• Options
    I guess they just killed the 11” iPad Pro unless you really want those extra features/performance.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Wondering if it’s worth the hassle and extra $100ish bucks to sell the Series 3 I just bought and step up to the SE. Only real justification is future-proofing. Guess I’ll see what the new OS does to usability first.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    I guess they just killed the 11” iPad Pro unless you really want those extra features/performance.

Do we know what RAM/ performance the new Air will clock in at?

• Options
    Still dithering on whether to get the Smart Keyboard Folio for my iPad. Still not really doing enough writing on the iPad.

Eh, can always get one down the road. Since I’m looking at bluetooth keyboards anyway I can get something decent now (and not this $20 plasticky one) that I can switch between iPad/MacBook when at home.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    My wife and I definitely share an iCloud plan already? I think the minimum is the 200GB plan, but it ends up costing the same as each of us having our own 50GB plan or whatever.

I could've sworn it wasn't possible recently* but maybe it was the sizing that was preventing me from finding it.

* For some definition of recently

• Options
    Oh hey I can download iPadOS 14 right this second.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Generally, when do prices on old stuff drop after new stuff is announced?

• Options
    Woop, downloading iOS 14 now.

My phone is also my job phone so I never tried the beta.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    OK, so WatchOS 7 is visibly faster than 6 on my Series 4, wasn’t expecting that…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    So my iPad fell and the screen broke. Apple quotes $250 to send in for repair. What are my options for fixing?

Zavian on
  • Options
    I'd go "authorized repair shop" or "Apple" honestly. Knowing how much glue is inside and how delicate the bits are... I wouldn't want to DIY, but that's me; I don't even like putting on screen protectors. :P

Tangentially related, I strongly recommend AppleCare as a general rule. They generally resolve issues by handing you a new damn device, and for the money involved it can be so worth it. I had an iMac that ate 3 video cards/logic boards; they fixed it twice free, and the third time just handed me a current model (three years newer). Same w/ iPads; had one where the magnets for the smart covers kept coming unglued and rattling, they just went "weird, can we have that for our engineers?" and handed me a new one. (May have been refurb, I dunno.)

• Options
    I really wish iPadOS also got the app library thing.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I don’t know if it’s Spotify that needs an update for *OS 14 or if the AirPod handover thing is buggy, but I can’t use Spotify at all if I have both the iPad/iPhone unlocked at once. Spotify just stops playing after a split second and then the AirPods get handed over to the other device.

edit: seems to be a bit of both. Spotify acts weird, but the handover also goes ”I want to play the lock sound from the iPhone now, gimme the AirPods!” when I’m listening to Spotify from the iPad.

Echo on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I don’t know if it’s Spotify that needs an update for *OS 14 or if the AirPod handover thing is buggy, but I can’t use Spotify at all if I have both the iPad/iPhone unlocked at once. Spotify just stops playing after a split second and then the AirPods get handed over to the other device.

edit: seems to be a bit of both. Spotify acts weird, but the handover also goes ”I want to play the lock sound from the iPhone now, gimme the AirPods!” when I’m listening to Spotify from the iPad.

i just turned off the auto switching because it was annoying me, especially that "airpods connected" popup every time i unlocked my phone

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I continue to learn more things about IOS 14 and other features I’ve never used before thanks to something on my screen. I flick the fuzz off my screen and all of a sudden my damn Safari screens are split. Had to look up how to bring them back to one. The helpful words of bring them back together when you’re done using split screen wasn’t as helpful as one would think. I learned that my iPhone has an App Library with neatly organization of all my apps. How did I find this neat thing? Trying to remove a fingerprint from the screen!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Yeah, I still haven't gotten the hang of using split screen properly on my iPad.

• Options
    Yeah, I still haven't gotten the hang of using split screen properly on my iPad.

It’s super useful and it’s annoying when an app doesn’t support it properly.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I hate when my Apple Watch reminds me to breathe.

Like, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE, WATCH? If I don't want to breathe, who are YOU to tell me I should?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »

Like, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE, WATCH? If I don't want to breathe, who are YOU to tell me I should?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e59guruVL4o

• Options
    So the 12 mini is probably my favourite of the announcements.

Interesting they are making the Pro Max better spec than the Pro again.

Hate the removal of headphones, that's a really bad call no matter how much you tout carbon emissions.

New Mag Safe is nice but will probably take third parties to really make good use of it.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Hate the removal of headphones, that's a really bad call no matter how much you tout carbon emissions.

New Mag Safe is nice but will probably take third parties to really make good use of it.

I dunno, the MagSafe combined phone/watch charger looked pretty excellent.

I was also impressed that they managed to add 5G to the 12 while also slimming it down and not sacrificing any battery life. Last year's 5G SoCs were huge and inefficient. That being said, it's a terrible year to release 5G. Is anyone actually going to leave their homes before the iPhone 13 is out?

• Options
    htm wrote: »

I dunno, the MagSafe combined phone/watch charger looked pretty excellent.

I was also impressed that they managed to add 5G to the 12 while also slimming it down and not sacrificing any battery life. Last year's 5G SoCs were huge and inefficient. That being said, it's a terrible year to release 5G. Is anyone actually going to leave their homes before the iPhone 13 is out?

From what the MagSafe is used for outside of wireless chargers, its pretty gimmicky. I think it will come into its own when third parties really get a hold of it, I was more interested in the car mount, or something like the next Osmo mobile could theoretically work from MagSafe, for example. right now attaching an expensive card wallet or phone case is worthless.

This years 5G SoC's have been fine for Android, but I expected Apple to have it nailed down better for mass market appeal. The big issue will be 5G coverage in the US even with every band available, still isn't anywhere near good enough.

Yes exactly another issue is where will the 5G be usable for people when travel outside isn't really an option. Maybe Verizon and co will release them 5G home hubs?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Damn but those pro cameras look amazing though. That shot of those horses from underneath the truck? And just strapped to some random generic drone? Wow.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular

I had to turn off the heart rate monitor, I started getting too invested and my heart rate would go up because of psychosomatic reasons.

So I'll prob grab an iPhone 12, our company moved to getting your own EPP plan direct with the telco and instead give us $50 each paycheque to cover that cost (Paid every 2 weeks).

I have an XS now and enjoy it, but yeah I mainly want the camera upgrade.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »

I had to turn off the heart rate monitor, I started getting too invested and my heart rate would go up because of psychosomatic reasons.

So I'll prob grab an iPhone 12, our company moved to getting your own EPP plan direct with the telco and instead give us $50 each paycheque to cover that cost (Paid every 2 weeks).

I have an XS now and enjoy it, but yeah I mainly want the camera upgrade.

Same, got the XS. Getting that better camera and 2x storage seems to be worth it for me.

• Options
    Hm. I’m unsold.

I’ve got a 7 Plus and have assumed all year I’d jump on the 12 Pro (though probably not the Max) but I’m just not sure I need to. Putting a new battery in this phone has made it run fine, and the camera is decent enough. Realistically, I’m just using a few apps and since I’m not traveling or commuting I spend more time on other devices than I normally would. USB-C or a 120hz screen would have put me over the top I think but now I’m thinking of just waiting another year.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    This years 5G SoC's have been fine for Android, but I expected Apple to have it nailed down better for mass market appeal. The big issue will be 5G coverage in the US even with every band available, still isn't anywhere near good enough.

Yes exactly another issue is where will the 5G be usable for people when travel outside isn't really an option. Maybe Verizon and co will release them 5G home hubs?

Apparently, only the US models are getting 5G mmWave. Non-US models will actually be different hardware without mmWave. That's... weird.

And I'd be surprised if any of the carriers make a 5G femtocell device. 5G with guaranteed close range reception would be far faster than most household internet connections could manage. People would be hooking them up to their 300Mb/s cable modems and wondering why they weren't getting 4Gb/s downloads to their phones.