As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFBE] THIS THREAD IS DEAD, LONG LIVE NEW THREAD

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    maraji wrote: »
    Now, my base understanding was the blue bar took more damage from some weapons than others, so I've been focusing on only having those types of weapons (because all I've focused on is damage and not tactics because I haven't had to for anything I wanted to do, really). My other understanding was that attacks that had multiple hits (like Remake Cloud's Focused Thrust with 10 hits) was what I was looking for to take down the break barrier. Tell me how awful my assumptions are?

I have some of those Units on that person's list, though not White Mage Rosa. In fact, 2B and Noctis are the only 7*s I have on hand that are on that list (and I assume that using any unit that's not 7* is pointless since they'll die the moment they get hit). I have Mastermind Xon, but only at 5* (I have his prism but again not an over abundance of XP to feed him or any other unit).

The BREAK bar cares about number of attacks, rather than number of hits. You would think that was the same thing, but it’s not. Some attacks have their damage called out multiple times, like Cloud’s Spinning Slash has a part that hits one target, then part that hits all targets, which counts as two attacks, even though the first part is multiple hits. Focused Thrust has ten hits, but is only one attack.

The units listed as good for this job have abilities with a bunch of attacks in them. They don’t need to hit hard to remove the break bar, so weak units are okay to bring along and die after they do their job, as long as you kill the boss before the break bar comes back.

I mean, I don't even have those weak units leveled up to have those attacks, every unit on their list I've never even bothered with other than 2B for the Supreme Support Weapon and I 7*'d her, and Noctis because . . . he looked cool.

I've been playing the game for a while, I just never needed to know anything beyond "lots of hits and most things die", so a lot of this is new to me even though I started playing back around the time it came out 4 years ago. I've just been less than ritual about playing it all the time or investing much of any energy into it. Which is why, for example, I don't quite understand still what the difference between attacks and hits are, though I'm starting to puzzle it out on the wiki.

One issue I'm curious about: doesn't it also matter what weapon you use? Some of those units are fairly limited in their weapon types. Is it just assumed you'll level enough units to deal with any weapon need for the break bars?

The break bar is still a really new global mechanic but the basic idea is it’s entirely hit based rather than damage numbers, the more hits in an attack, the more damage done to the bar, hence why skills like Barrage are so effective. The wrinkle in that of course is basically to think of it like this:
    Attack from weapon not of the break bar weakness = 1 point of break damage
    Attack from weapon that is a break bar weakness is = something greater than 1, I really don’t have an exact number but it’s signicantly more sufficient.

So, unless you have a unit with an ability for dealing with break bar (something we will start to see on NV units) it’s all based on clearing that bar out. The simplest way of course is all your good damage dealers using weapons that also break the bar better. But you are right, it’s not always feasible to have both a specialized weapon and good damage. So the answer to that is to gear a unit specifically to deal with the break bar. Absent a unit like Rosa etc the best way is to have them use dual wield materia and a barrage materia, and equip two of the weakness weapons, and then have them go ham on the break bar so your actual dps can kill.

There's materia in this game? Am I missing something? I mean, besides every granular, important mechanical function in this game, apparently. :lol:

We often use Materia interchangeably with equippable Abilities. Like, in game it's Abilities but Materia is just more thematic with Final Fantasy, ya know?

Yeah sorry, like he said, interchangeable with “abilities”. Because FF.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    We often use Materia interchangeably with equippable Abilities. Like, in game it's Abilities but Materia is just more thematic with Final Fantasy, ya know?

Oh, now I get it!

I doubt I'll ever understand this all, partially because I'm just not interested in the super-granular parts of this. Like, 4 years in and I'm finding out that I'm apparently expect to be able to time my attacks to link together? I can't do that on even the most basic of fighting games, it's not going to happen here. The only chained attacks I can pull off in games are ones that are automated as part of button mashing.

Regardless, I got some max level metal cactaurs so now I have first level NV PG-Lasswell, so that's cool. Not sure what to do with him, specifically, but I have him. Right now it's more important to me to get all the remaining brave insignia I need to cap Aerith and Red and Cloud's abilities (once I eventually get the rest of the shit to cap Cloud). But then, I'm also just assuming these stages never ever come back again and I'll never get to farm Brave Insignia, which god knows I'm probably wrong on that too.

It's okay. I still don't understand several of the "roles" in the game. Like, "finishers" and "chainers" and "breakers". All I know is if all my units pick an action that I can triple stack via a triple cast ability and they all have, like, a BS or SR or something in common, and then I hit the "auto" button, things melt. That's the depth and breadth of my tactics at this point.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    NV Lasswell is pretty easy to use, honestly. If you can't get a ton of insignias, the two priorities for Brave Ability leveling are Blade Flash - Revelation and, in his Braveshift form, Fatal Bloom+. After that the next priority is Star Guide in his Braveshift form (gives 100% ATK and 12 LB increase per turn at lvl5) and then his other abilities won't really get used much, if at all.

Basically you just want to chain Blade Flash - Revelation until he can Braveshift on turn 3, and then you'll want to chain Fatal Bloom+ (assuming the enemy isn't super resistant to Ice). You'll also want to at some point use his Ice Imbue (Mirror of Equity - Ice Fog) while in Braveshift form so that you are imbued when you automatically shift back to base form.

NV Lasswell is pretty easy to use, honestly. If you can't get a ton of insignias, the two priorities for Brave Ability leveling are Blade Flash - Revelation and, in his Braveshift form, Fatal Bloom+. After that the next priority is Star Guide in his Braveshift form (gives 100% ATK and 12 LB increase per turn at lvl5) and then his other abilities won't really get used much, if at all.

Basically you just want to chain Blade Flash - Revelation until he can Braveshift on turn 3, and then you'll want to chain Fatal Bloom+ (assuming the enemy isn't super resistant to Ice). You'll also want to at some point use his Ice Imbue (Mirror of Equity - Ice Fog) while in Braveshift form so that you are imbued when you automatically shift back to base form.

It'll be a full 15 shards before I can get him the Brave Shift thing. Only my Remake Cloud, Tifa, and Neo-Rain have that yet, largely because of those Transcension Pearls I'd need for Aerith, and character shards I need for Red and Las. Which, I used all my free stuff just to get Las to NV, so I'll have to wait to grab the other things I need to further improve them. But since I'm running on the assumption that (at least for free players like myself), the insignia stages are one and done then I'm trying to push myself to get enough for everyone and thus far failing dramatically since up to this point the best I can do is clear the 10 NRG stages. Since I don't have anyone even really leveled up for the things the game wants of me (again, lack of tactical requirement) and not even really understanding what I might need, the 30 NRG shreds me, specifically at this moment the Harpy for the Aerith/Red/Cloud insignia.

Oh, and apparently I don't have even one Dual Wield or Barrage ability widget because those come from lower level units (Zidane and Luna) and I've been ignoring them because . . . it's me. By sheer accident, I seem to have the Bowie Knife, Excalibur (FF TYPE-0), and Genji Glove. I don't have a single unit that has Barrage that has over 1500 HP, they're all around level 1-10 and almost all at their base rarity level, so they only have it by virtue of it being a default. I do have A2, Beatrix, and Warrior of Light Bartz mostly maxed out excluding abilities (which I have almost no abilities awakened since they take so many of those cryst things).

Also, when I'm drawing all these 3* and 4* units, I am just supposed to be folding them all into a single unit without question to get the TMR of that unit, right? I mean, I've apparently not been playing as expected anywhere else, so I might as well check that as well.

Yeah, 3* and 4* units are basically just fusion fodder to grab TMRs (and then you can turn them in for Trust Coins which can get you things like summon tickets and awakening prisms for some limited time units.)

Thankfully if you only need 15 shards to EX+1 Lasswell, you'll get them from the login rewards.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Jeez one more layer of break/reform is going to give me a heart attack! Neither NV or Lasswell were rainbows (the NV was blue!)
    bk085hyaiiiw.png

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    The blue -> red is SO satisfying. My latest NV Cloud was a blue -> red. It really makes what looked like a mediocre pull so hype.

I had that happen once recently; it was for Cloud and my son likes to tap the crystal, so watching it go from blue to gold to rainbow to red, and him tapping it each time, and giggling more and more as it kept coming back to a crystal was tons of fun. He's only 3, almost 4, but he knows what he likes.

Now to wait in agony for the rest of the daily rewards so I can EX-1 NVA Lasswell.

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular

Oh, now I get it!

I doubt I'll ever understand this all, partially because I'm just not interested in the super-granular parts of this. Like, 4 years in and I'm finding out that I'm apparently expect to be able to time my attacks to link together? I can't do that on even the most basic of fighting games, it's not going to happen here. The only chained attacks I can pull off in games are ones that are automated as part of button mashing.

Regardless, I got some max level metal cactaurs so now I have first level NV PG-Lasswell, so that's cool. Not sure what to do with him, specifically, but I have him. Right now it's more important to me to get all the remaining brave insignia I need to cap Aerith and Red and Cloud's abilities (once I eventually get the rest of the shit to cap Cloud). But then, I'm also just assuming these stages never ever come back again and I'll never get to farm Brave Insignia, which god knows I'm probably wrong on that too.

It's okay. I still don't understand several of the "roles" in the game. Like, "finishers" and "chainers" and "breakers". All I know is if all my units pick an action that I can triple stack via a triple cast ability and they all have, like, a BS or SR or something in common, and then I hit the "auto" button, things melt. That's the depth and breadth of my tactics at this point.

To break this down a little, while there are obviously units with abilities that blur the lines the general ides is the following:

Breaker: These are units whose kits while may have other utility in them, are most useful because they possess the ability to do ATK/MAG/SPR and imperiling (reduce elemental resistances). The value of stat and elemental breaks in the game is significant, it’s one of the things I love about this game, unlike a lot of other RPGs, debuffing and enemy, playing against weaknesses, etc is HUGE, going far beyond flat damage numbers.
    TLDR: if an enemy is breakable, you want one of these in your team, they are both your setup unit for your dps to go to town as well as your means to prevent a boss from steamrolling you wish it’s own buffs.

Chainer: one of the two primary damage unit types. These folks do their damage best by chaining attacks together with another unit. Chains work by basically multiplying the damage of the hits they come after and a chain more or less works as long as the same unit doesn’t hit twice in a row within the chain. By getting high count chains as a result you vastly increase damage output beyond simple abilities. Chains are generally best done by using abilities that have a chain family. This sounds complicated, but really it’s just if you look at an ability and it has a little red set of letters in the corner, that’s its chaining family (e. g. SR, AR, AMoE). Two units using those abilities at the same time will chain together. There is more nuance to it but that’s the basic idea.

As for finishers, they have big single bit stuff, on their own can be a decent damage for sure. But use that giant single hit while a chain is going and it gets multiplied. Boom, hence the term finisher.

There’s plenty more but hopefully that gives a bit more info.

Oh, now I get it!

To break this down a little, while there are obviously units with abilities that blur the lines the general ides is the following:

Breaker: These are units whose kits while may have other utility in them, are most useful because they possess the ability to do ATK/MAG/SPR and imperiling (reduce elemental resistances). The value of stat and elemental breaks in the game is significant, it’s one of the things I love about this game, unlike a lot of other RPGs, debuffing and enemy, playing against weaknesses, etc is HUGE, going far beyond flat damage numbers.
    TLDR: if an enemy is breakable, you want one of these in your team, they are both your setup unit for your dps to go to town as well as your means to prevent a boss from steamrolling you wish it’s own buffs.

Chainer: one of the two primary damage unit types. These folks do their damage best by chaining attacks together with another unit. Chains work by basically multiplying the damage of the hits they come after and a chain more or less works as long as the same unit doesn’t hit twice in a row within the chain. By getting high count chains as a result you vastly increase damage output beyond simple abilities. Chains are generally best done by using abilities that have a chain family. This sounds complicated, but really it’s just if you look at an ability and it has a little red set of letters in the corner, that’s its chaining family (e. g. SR, AR, AMoE). Two units using those abilities at the same time will chain together. There is more nuance to it but that’s the basic idea.

As for finishers, they have big single bit stuff, on their own can be a decent damage for sure. But use that giant single hit while a chain is going and it gets multiplied. Boom, hence the term finisher.

There’s plenty more but hopefully that gives a bit more info.

Wait. Status effects in this are actually useful? I've been ignoring every last one of those abilities because I figured they were as pointless as every other RPG ever, where casting "charm" was a good way to get your head bitten off, TKO. I honestly don't think I've ever run across a single RPG where it was more useful to use a turn doing stat buffs or debuffs when a well placed damage attack could just kill the target. That's going to take way longer to register than just reading it, it's just . . . anathema to every way I understand RPGs.

I looked at the "chaining" stuff a bit more and it's talking in terms of exact timing, miliseconds and frames and . . . my eyes glazed over instantly. If this requires crackerjack timing, Wang, I just don't have the reflexes (BTiLC references FTW). More or less, if I have to get "the taps" just right for . . . well any of this, I'm not going to be able to chain. I have the rhythm of a near-sighted tone-deaf cyclops.

Stuff like paralyze, blind, stop, etc have niche uses though are more important being inflicted in arena than PvE stuff. But breaks, elemental damage, and imperils are massively important. Chaining is based on frames and he’s is unfortunately timed in the milliseconds but generally speaking is just about hitting the units activation as closed to each other as possible. Some chains are easier to do manually than others too, typically SR and AMoE are pretty easy to chain, AR is a pain, and CwA can just fuck right off. There is a dummy in the mog farplane world you can actually practice chains on without energy cost and is my first stop even now when I need to do weird chains, chain weaving, etc

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Status are generally bad, but debuffs are generally good. Anything that says it reduces stats or resistances is probably good.

As for chaining, generally you want to click as close together as your fingers will allow. It's not as hard as it sounds! But as I've mentioned, different families have different tolerances. And different phones can fuck you around a bit. Trying them is really the best way to check.

For a reference, BS chains are, generally, the easiest. SR and AMoE work pretty well, though they might break sometimes. If you have units with CWA skills, don't even bother, you aren't chaining that shit.

Steam ID: Right here.
    Man, I might actually run out of energy. I stopped doing the ad wheel months back as it was bugging out making me watch crap over and over. But with all the stuff to grind, I'm under 100 pots for the first time in a long time. Might have to prioritize getting the refills.

edited September 2020
    I haven't even started the mog farm beyond the daily challenge. My energy is tied up on getting all the fucking insignias. At least Lasswell's done, now for Akstar.

Drascin on
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I've already farmed and leveled Akstar's skills. Maybe I'll farm enough for Lasswell in case I ever pull more of him and NVA him later. I didn't bother with VotD's because I can't EX+1 and I haven't bothered with the second FF7 one because I don't have Aerith and haven't pulled enough Clouds or Red XIIIs to NVA them. But I can clear the Akstar / Lasswell one in one turn most of the time with a friend Lasswell / Akstar so it's not that bad a grind.

edited September 2020
    Drascin wrote: »
    Status are generally bad, but debuffs are generally good. Anything that says it reduces stats or resistances is probably good.

As for chaining, generally you want to click as close together as your fingers will allow. It's not as hard as it sounds! But as I've mentioned, different families have different tolerances. And different phones can fuck you around a bit. Trying them is really the best way to check.

For a reference, BS chains are, generally, the easiest. SR and AMoE work pretty well, though they might break sometimes. If you have units with CWA skills, don't even bother, you aren't chaining that shit.

Yeah, I mainly meant Debuff style abilities lumped in with Status of any sort like poison, slow, stop, blind. Like, in my head, "lower ATK/MAG" means "wasted a turn" in any game ever when a perfectly good Ultima/Flare/Power Level 9k move could be done on that same turn, so finding out that any kind of elemental defense or stat change abilities are actually useful in any respect is a "mind blown" moment for me.

Yes, I just assumed all those characters were trap characters to make you sink resources into useless abilities.

Kalnaur on
    Lol, I was happy, content, not having Akstar, finished insignia farming for what I wanted to deal with. Then I got a bug in my ear to do one more banner pull for that stmr moogle chance.

I got the moogle. And enough Lasswell to +1. And an Akstar. And a second Akstar. So now I have more brave abilities to level where I was previously done I have all the shit to do.

Lol, I was happy, content, not having Akstar, finished insignia farming for what I wanted to deal with. Then I got a bug in my ear to do one more banner pull for that stmr moogle chance.

I got the moogle. And enough Lasswell to +1. And an Akstar. And a second Akstar. So now I have more brave abilities to level where I was previously done I have all the shit to do.

Third Akstar or 3 star ex ticket I used on a whim, wtf.

You're getting all the Akstars I wanted, that's what (I'm kidding).

Maybe Akstar will become your new NV stalker.

edited September 2020
    ugh, GUMI, I know you have some interface issues, but could you move the Yes/No to the proper order? I know it's my fault for accidentally clicking 'Remove All' from the equipment list then not looking, but still...

EDIT: This really sucks. I'd highly suggest not hitting that button lol.

Trajan45 on

Maybe Akstar will become your new NV stalker.

This is my fear, I have a guaranteed NV ticket now. I’m deeply afraid that’s all I’m going to get now and all my remaining lapis is just going to be Akstars all the way down and no Elena. I’ve legit budgeted for her a number that if I didn’t just enjoy the game and accept its part of my disposable income I use for entertainment, I would question my sanity. But nope, sometimes ya just gotta whale.

• LorekLorek Registered User regular

Nice, I had something like that with Cloud. Having 900%+ bonus units just from the 3 NVs makes farming a breeze. And then when the event is done, if you can round up the login shards to 50, that's an STMR for him.

What the shit, double rainbow on the free summon today. Xon 4 and Magic Physalis 1. I will happily take that STMR thank you very much.

I STMR moogled MM Xon and have no regrets. I also STMR moogled Vaan with a similar lack of regret. If evasion is going to continue to be so prevalent, might as well jump right in.

I haven't STMR moogled MMXon yet, but I did finally pull one the other day, so now I'm one away from his STMR anyway.

Aww, I'm gonna miss the free daily 4 summons. I'd actually gotten a few rainbows from that.

I have had weird results from the 4x summon... It was either garbage or there was a NV unit in it; I don't think I got any actual rainbows from it? Very weird results.

edited September 2020
    Lorek wrote: »
    I have had weird results from the 4x summon... It was either garbage or there was a NV unit in it; I don't think I got any actual rainbows from it? Very weird results.

It was very hot or cold for me as well. Best day was a double rainbow + NV. Last two days were 4 blues.

So, what do we think will be next? I'm hoping it's Elena/Yoshikiri but they may save that for the last banner of the month. In that case we could be getting NV Edel raid or NV Gabranth raid. Maybe been NV Sol story event, but that feels less likely.

Cruor on
    If anyone needs that extra bit of oomph along with bonus for the MK event or Insignias, EX+2 Akstar is in Favorite slot with over 4K attack. For those that didn’t know it already by the way Akstar has an ability specifically for murdering the break gauge (Lethal Mind) so might be helpful. Carry on.

It was very hot or cold for me as well. Best day was a double rainbow + NV. Last two days were 4 blues.

So, what do we think will be next? I'm hoping it's Elena/Yoshikiri but they may save that for the last banner of the month. In that case we could be getting NV Edel raid or NV Gabranth raid. Maybe been NV Sol story event, but that feels less likely.

I'm 99% it's NV Sol and not Elena because we haven't gotten our monthly update video; guaranteed they're saving that for the Elena banner. We haven't gotten an announcement saying they aren't doing one yet, so I assume September should still have one.

I'm 99% it's NV Sol and not Elena because we haven't gotten our monthly update video; guaranteed they're saving that for the Elena banner. We haven't gotten an announcement saying they aren't doing one yet, so I assume September should still have one.

Yeah, at the time I posted that there was still a chance we would have gotten an update video today. there still is a chance we'll get one today but they usually post them earlier than this. NV Sol and NV Edel seem the most likely to me. They both have great VCs, so randomly pulling either would be welcome.

Yeah, at the time I posted that there was still a chance we would have gotten an update video today. there still is a chance we'll get one today but they usually post them earlier than this. NV Sol and NV Edel seem the most likely to me. They both have great VCs, so randomly pulling either would be welcome.

Who’s the NVA going to be then?

edited September 2020

NV Sol's banner came with NVA for BSSakura and Dark Fina. NV Edel's banner came with NVA Nalu. Since we've been getting some NVA units delayed for some reason, I think we'll only get one NVA of either Dark Fina or BSSakura if it's Sol's banner.

Edit: We're still missing NVA Aileen who came with Akstar's banner in JP, people are speculating that her NVA will come with the Elena/Yoshikiri banner and we may not get a GLEX NVA on that banner. I hope that speculation is wrong.

Cruor on

NV Sol's banner came with NVA for BSSakura and Dark Fina. NV Edel's banner came with NVA Nalu. Since we've been getting some NVA units delayed for some reason, I think we'll only get one NVA of either Dark Fina or BSSakura if it's Sol's banner.

Edit: We're still missing NVA Aileen who came with Akstar's banner in JP, people are speculating that her NVA will come with the Elena/Yoshikiri banner and we may not get a GLEX NVA on that banner. I hope that speculation is wrong.

Thanks, my JP version knowledge is spotty at best. Wouldn’t mind BSSakura soon, I quite literally have 10 of her.

Thanks, my JP version knowledge is spotty at best. Wouldn’t mind BSSakura soon, I quite literally have 10 of her.

Yeah, I have STMR'd Dark Fina, a 7* Dark Fina, and a couple extra copies as well. I have BSSakura's STMR as well but I don't think I have any extra copies beyond that.

What event does NV Sol come with? Raid I hope. I think I'm finally in a good spot insignia wise with 250 in reserve in case Aerith or another Akstar comes around.

But I'm only at 18K event points, so I have a ton of MK grinding to get done.

Sol is a story event I think. It being a story event is why I'm kinda skeptical about it being next and why I think a raid (NV Edel or NV Gabranth) would be next.

I'm more focused on the NVs I have now because I burned what little gemthings I had on the 3+1free summons on Lass and Akstar (and didn't get Akstar). i might try with whatever tickets I get to hit up the banners as they change, but I'm not going to stress greatly about characters I don't have from here on. I got the FFVII characters I wanted, so I'm pleased.

I've gotten my Mastermind Xon and Hallowed Aegis Charlotte up to 7*, and I'm just waiting until I accumulate enough gil to awaken Sylvie. God knows it won't be fast; the 3 mil charge for making things into 7*s is why I don't have even more of them, that's a lot of gil.