As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[US Foreign Policy] Peace For Sale

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I was trying to chase down the origin of this '400 billion' figure and tripped over the USD - SAR exchange rate.

I am now choosing to believe he has simply started to refer to that 110 billion (over ten years, maybe) dollar arms deal in riyal (~412 billion riyal).

It seems like the most honest possibility.

Aha, cause last time he spake this nonsense there was a big record scratch about where the missing $300b went

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Also

He genuinely believes these dictators AND thinks we should believe him believing them because...

He views his conversations with them as “locker room talk,” you know where you talk about wanting to fuck Michael Cohen’s teenage daughter/hack the DNC/threaten SK with nukes/assassinate journalists- your outlet to brag to your fellow sociopaths, that you keep secret from everyone else

He thinks if dudes don’t admit it there, in the “club” he thinks he’s in with these guys, in that one spot you actually tell the truth, it’s legit

He’s just in fanboy love with these guys

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

The State Department being unable to put together a grammatically coherent tweet suggests it has been really hollowed out

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    That hurts the brain.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    I was trying to chase down the origin of this '400 billion' figure and tripped over the USD - SAR exchange rate.

I am now choosing to believe he has simply started to refer to that 110 billion (over ten years, maybe) dollar arms deal in riyal (~412 billion riyal).

It seems like the most honest possibility.

Aha, cause last time he spake this nonsense there was a big record scratch about where the missing $300b went
    Ah! Well I do think I know what that is.

The initial figure was $350b over 10 years, 110 in military equipment, 240 in private investments. But most of that was hypothetical concepts of intent, including 90% of the former. Sometimes they just cite the former, sometimes the total, and sometimes they try to cite the former in addition to the total.

But my actual guess is this is just his tendency to inflate numbers over time based on nothing.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Trump handling Middle east policy with all the skill of a drunk back hoe driver doing brain surgery has been more destabilizing to the middle east then Iran in the past 4 years.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    If only we had some kind of deal to stop this dangerous power from building nukes

Prohass on
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Trump people are touting that UAE and Bahrain normalizing relations with Israel means Trump has achieved Peace in the Middle East and is owed a Nobel Prize. It's like when you have a list of things to do, and you do the two easiest ones and call it a day. Let me know when Saudi Arabia has normalized relations with Isreal.

Also that Iran is evil, a threat to the US, and we should totally bomb them. Right after Trump gets his Peace Prize.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    He also bragged about covering up for MBS re: Khashoggi's death. So a real man of peace.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Depends on your definition of peace. The way that I've seen it described is that peace on the Middle East is possible with two ways:
    1. Create an equilibrium between powers and use soft power like trade to ensure that everybody is on more or less the same page. That was what the Iran deal was supposed to do, since with that and economic agreements the damage would be contained.
    2. Appoint a "winner". Give all the backing to one of the local players so they enforce the peace.

We are on option 2, with Israel and India as the appointed "winners" and counter weights to Iran. India gets the job of propping up the Afghan government (and man Pakistan got snookered), Israel gets the rest. With the failure of "market liberalization", countries going back to classic power politics is expected. So, if you don't mind King Netanyahu as Colonial Overseer of the Middle East, then, congrats, there's "peace".

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    He also bragged about covering up for MBS re: Khashoggi's death. So a real man of peace.

Trump bragged about being complicit in helping the de facto leader of Saudi Arabia, Mohammad bin Salman, evade justice for their brutal assassination of an American Citizen, Jamal Khashoggi.

I obtained more catharsis in expanding upon enlightenedbum's statement than our government was able to provide to Kashoggi's family and loved ones.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Since when has India been in the Middle East?

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure the US asking Israel to "enforce peace" would incite more violence

I mean, the administration doesn't care, but some people might

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Vox reporter with video:
    "The sand was loaded up with blood, and now you're gonna see that a lot of that sand is going to be loaded up with peace." #wut
    Besides referring to the Middle East as sand, does he think the two governments were at war or something over the last few years?

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    now that the thought's been planted in what's left of his brain, he wants that Nobel so bad he can taste it. (Because Obama got one, and he wants to be Obama almost as much as he hates him.)

my vindictive fantasy of the day is a dog-with-two-bones situation ("you can have a Nobel or be President, choose") and he melts down and gets neither.

Commander Zoom on
    edited September 2020
    What are the odds trump doesn't know these two countries don't border each other?

Gaddez on
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    What are the odds trump doesn't know these two countries border each other?

Odds are Infinity.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Since when has India been in the Middle East?

India is very much involved on Afghanistan in opposition to Pakistan, so they are the sheriffs there. Israel does cover the rest though.

Anyways, next country to sign up for Sheriff Netanyahu is Bahrain:
    US President Donald Trump, King Hamad bin Isa bin Salman al-Khalifa of Bahrain, and Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on Friday agreed to the establishment of full diplomatic relations between Israel and the Kingdom of Bahrain, the White House said in a statement.

Bahrain thus becomes the second Gulf state to normalize ties with Israel, after the UAE and Israel announced they were normalizing relations on August 13.

The White House statement said that Bahrain has accepted President Trump's invitation to join Israel and the United Arab Emirates at the historic signing ceremony of their peace agreement next week at the White House, where Netanyahu and Bahraini Foreign Minister Abdullatif Al Zayani will be signing a historic Declaration of Peace.

“This is a historic breakthrough to further peace in the Middle East. Opening direct dialogue and ties between these two dynamic societies and advanced economies will continue the positive transformation of the Middle East and increase stability, security, and prosperity in the region,” the statement said.

“The United States expresses its gratitude to the Kingdom of Bahrain for hosting the historic Peace to Prosperity workshop in Manama on June 25, 2019, to advance the cause of peace, dignity, and economic opportunity for the Palestinian people. The parties will continue their efforts in this regard to achieve a just, comprehensive, and enduring resolution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict to enable the Palestinian people to realize their full potential. Israel affirmed that as set forth in the Vision for Peace, all Muslims who come in peace may visit and pray at the Al Aqsa Mosque and Jerusalem's other holy sites will remain open for peaceful worshippers of all faiths,” it added.

Prime Minister Netanyahu said that he was excited to announce a peace agreement with another Arab country - Bahrain.

"It took us 26 years since the second peace agreement with an Arab state to reach a third peace agreement, and it took us not 26 years but 29 days to reach a peace agreement with a fourth Arab state and there will be more," Netanyahu said in video published after the declaration.

"This is a new era of peace. Peace for peace. Economy for economy," he added.

Trump welcomed the Bahrain-Israel agreement on Twitter, hailing it as a “historic breakthrough”.

“Another HISTORIC breakthrough today! Our two GREAT friends Israel and the Kingdom of Bahrain agree to a Peace Deal – the second Arab country to make peace with Israel in 30 days!” he tweeted.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    “Another HISTORIC breakthrough today! Our two GREAT friends Israel and the Kingdom of Bahrain agree to a Peace Deal – the second Arab country to make peace with Israel in 30 days!” he tweeted.

Definitely feels like a "Don't forget Poland" statement. Sure, it's technically accurate, but isn't worth the effort to brag about.

But Donnie can't not brag.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I mean, it's not nothing, but it's also mostly just formalizing what's been the case for a long time. Making de facto into de jure, which is always an improvement to 'political correctness' pretending reality isn't there, but the actual changes to daily life won't be visible to anyone but the Ambassador's family.

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    All these "amazingly historic" peace deals happening mere weeks before Trump's re-election sure makes me suspicious. What has Trump given up for these PR wins?

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Xantomas wrote: »
    All these "amazingly historic" peace deals happening mere weeks before Trump's re-election sure makes me suspicious. What has Trump given up for these PR wins?

Soto voce acceptance of Israel doing whatever the fuck it wants, while his son-in-law continues to finance the illegal settlements and forced evictions in the West Bank?

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I have no doubt he's capable of peacing all over the ground in the Middle East
    ( Pretend I said this aloud and pronounced peacing with some hard S's)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    I have no doubt he's capable of peacing all over the ground in the Middle East
    ( Pretend I said this aloud and pronounced peacing with some hard S's)

Nah. He'll pay Russian prostitutes to do it for him.

edited September 2020
    So potential war crime legal problems for government officials stretching back five years with the state department keeping that from Congress and others in the White House

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/14/us/politics/us-war-crimes-yemen-saudi-arabia.html
    War Crimes Risk Grows for U.S. Over Saudi Strikes in Yemen

State Department officials have raised alarms about the legal risk in aiding airstrikes that kill civilians. The Trump administration recently suppressed findings as it sold more weapons to Gulf nations.

Yet rather than taking meaningful steps to address the potential legal issues raised by the Yemen war, State Department leaders have gone to great lengths to conceal them, records and interviews show.

When an internal investigation this year revealed that the department had failed to address the legal risks of selling bombs to the Saudis and their partners, top agency officials found ways to hide this. They ensured that the inspector general kept details in a classified portion of a public report released in August, then insisted on heavily redacting the classified material so that even lawmakers with security clearance could not see it.

In 2016, when a State Department lawyer determined that American officials could plausibly be charged with war crimes, the department’s top lawyers decided not to send the analysis to the secretary of state’s office, though it was shared with some agency officials.

“If I were in the State Department, I would be freaking out about my potential for liability,” said Oona Hathaway, a Yale Law School professor and a Defense Department lawyer in the Obama administration. “I think anyone who’s involved in this program should get themselves a lawyer. It’s very dangerous territory the U.S. is in, continuing to provide support given the number of civilians who have been killed.”
    The Obama-era decision not to elevate the troubling legal analysis was made as the administration was already taking a tougher line on civilian deaths in Yemen. In December 2016, President Barack Obama blocked a shipment of precision-guided bombs he had agreed to sell to the Saudis.

But other military aid continued. And by setting the legal opinion aside, the outgoing officials, regardless of whether they were aware of the potential consequences, ensured that it did not have sufficient weight when Mr. Trump took office.

Within months, Mr. Trump delivered the bombs Mr. Obama had halted. Then his administration sought to advance still more sales: $8.1 billion in weapons and equipment in 22 batches, including $3.8 billion in precision-guided bombs and bomb parts made by Raytheon Company, to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
    Lawmakers blocked shipments for nearly two years, until Secretary of State Mike Pompeo instructed his subordinates to circumvent Congress. They did so by declaring an emergency over Iran, which prompted the inspector general review. That investigation not only documented the longstanding legal worries but also created a critical report that could itself increase the legal risks, scholars said.
    Joseph R. Biden Jr., the Democratic presidential candidate who was vice president when the conflict began, says he would end U.S. support for the war. By contrast, Mr. Trump is doubling down on arms sales and boasting of revenue from the Saudis.

“I have a very good relationship with them,” Mr. Trump said during an interview in February. “They buy billions and billions and billions of dollars of product from us. They buy tens of billions of dollars of military equipment.”
    It is amazing partly because efforts within the Trump admin to make sure they would not risk being charged with war crimes got killed because Trump

Couscous on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    What's the Obama administration's exposure since they initiated the sales? Like, for a guy who likes to scream lock em up this sounds like an avenue he can use.

And it's not like Trump's currently at risk since everyone involved in prosecuting the crimes are either involved or beholden to him.

emp123 wrote: »
    What's the Obama administration's exposure since they initiated the sales? Like, for a guy who likes to scream lock em up this sounds like an avenue he can use.

And it's not like Trump's currently at risk since everyone involved in prosecuting the crimes are either involved or beholden to him.

It's not great for biden or obama, but it happened in the last year of the presidency so the full fallout would have been less clear, though it would be considerably worse for trump since he has both continued the sales and actively defended the actions of the people he has sold it to.

Really, the question at this juncture is whether trump is stupid enough to try and weaponize this.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

It's not great for biden or obama, but it happened in the last year of the presidency so the full fallout would have been less clear, though it would be considerably worse for trump since he has both continued the sales and actively defended the actions of the people he has sold it to.

Really, the question at this juncture is whether trump is stupid enough to try and weaponize this.

Come on, you know the answer to this one.

I mean, this is the equivelant of setting yourself on fire and then trying to chase down your neighbor who's 20 minutes away to give him a burning hug; you might hurt him but it will kill you.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

I mean, this is the equivelant of setting yourself on fire and then trying to chase down your neighbor who's 20 minutes away to give him a burning hug; you might hurt him but it will kill you.

Hasn’t stopped the GOP before. Remember them blaming Iraq and Afghanistan on Obama, two wars that started a couple years before he was even a Senator?

Or more recently one of the Romney’s is blaming Trump’s pandemic response on Biden.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

The difference there is that the current DOJ is perfectly willing to pursue charges against Obama and Biden.

Taramoor wrote: »

The difference there is that the current DOJ is perfectly willing to pursue charges against Obama and Biden.

They've had 4 years to charge obama and didn't do jack shit despite the fact that they would litterally have all the information they need to do so.

And besides all that, what the hell would they be charging joe for? Like the schtick for republicans is to gaslight some error or tradgedy as some sort of capricious act of the lovecraftian "left wing", but Joe's been basically sitting on his ass for the better part of 4 years and there has been nothing on the scandal front outside of maybe the situation with his son and the ukraine, but any court would see the sequence of events and hear from actual ukranians about what was going on with that company and the prosecutor.

So yeah, I'm sure they'd try and do something but the problem is that there isn't nearly enough to even begin gaslighting.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

They've had 4 years to charge obama and didn't do jack shit despite the fact that they would litterally have all the information they need to do so.

And besides all that, what the hell would they be charging joe for? Like the schtick for republicans is to gaslight some error or tradgedy as some sort of capricious act of the lovecraftian "left wing", but Joe's been basically sitting on his ass for the better part of 4 years and there has been nothing on the scandal front outside of maybe the situation with his son and the ukraine, but any court would see the sequence of events and hear from actual ukranians about what was going on with that company and the prosecutor.

So yeah, I'm sure they'd try and do something but the problem is that there isn't nearly enough to even begin gaslighting.

I'm not PARTICULARLY afraid they will try to arrest Biden (or Obama) for the reasons you've mentioned above. And despite the horrifying speed rule of law has been undermined in this country, grand juries and indictments and arrests don't happen on a whim. Even if Barr decides fuck it YOLO and gets hack judges on board, I still can't see Biden being raided - much less cuffed and hauled off between now and Election Day without the largest series of protests (and riots) that our country has seen.

More likely it'll be the same shit we saw in 2016 with Comey about Weiner's laptop and emails. Barr will announce some meaningless bullshit that plays into whatever narrative about Hunter / Burisma and Joe's supposed interference in that, and people who haven't followed it closely will figure smoke = fire.

Of course, bringing up Ukraine / Burisma / Hunter just reminds everyone of the impeachment, so it could maybe backfire on them? Or go nowhere? I don't think they are going to move the needle that much on it.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Known peacenik Trump confirmed today that, yeah, Woodward's book was right and he did want to assassinate Bashar al-Assad
    https://www.axios.com/trump-mattis-bashar-al-assad-fb94ccf7-c77a-4906-82e8-4f579e4a0bab.html
    President Trump on Tuesday confirmed that he wanted to order an assassination against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, but former Secretary of Defense James Mattis "was against it."
    Trump's comments Tuesday contradicted his own statement to reporters in 2018, when Trump said an operation to kill Assad "was never even contemplated."

Trump wanted the assassination after it was believed the Syrian government used chemical weapons in an attack in Douma, Syria, according to Woodward's reporting.

Linking Axios only because WP is paywalled.

shryke on
    shryke wrote: »
    Known peacenik Trump confirmed today that, yeah, Woodward's book was right and he did want to assassinate Bashar al-Assad
    https://www.axios.com/trump-mattis-bashar-al-assad-fb94ccf7-c77a-4906-82e8-4f579e4a0bab.html
    President Trump on Tuesday confirmed that he wanted to order an assassination against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, but former Secretary of Defense James Mattis "was against it."
    Trump's comments Tuesday contradicted his own statement to reporters in 2018, when Trump said an operation to kill Assad "was never even contemplated."

Trump wanted the assassination after it was believed the Syrian government used chemical weapons in an attack in Douma, Syria, according to Woodward's reporting.

Linking Axios only because WP is paywalled.

Fucking awesome. Exampe #34,648 that the man is a both a sociopath, and has no fucking idea how foreign policy works.

There's a reason why it's diplomatically unacceptable to assasinate foreign leaders. And it's not for their fucking safety, you massive orange shit. It's for yours.

Assassination of a foreign leader is not just grounds for war between the two countries. It'll have worldwide support that has the backing of many nations. Because no country (and espescially no leader of a country) wants it to become commonplace that assassination of a foreign leader is an acceptable way to resolve dispute.

It's about self-preservation, you enormous dickhead.

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I dunno, I'd rather disputes were resolved by assassination of political leadership than war. At least the leaders likely had some choice in the matter, unlike the poor grunts on the ground.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I dunno, I'd rather disputes were resolved by assassination of political leadership than war. At least the leaders likely had some choice in the matter, unlike the poor grunts on the ground.

This would be a bad thing.

Imagine what would happen domestically if heads of state are routinely targeted by foreign nations. This means the battle space becomes wherever the president currently is, and measures to defend against assassination would resemble a police state. And god forbid one actually succeeds.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.

Oh, there's definitely an ethical argument to that. That disputes between nations should have the leaders at least somewhat at risk. But that just leads to meatheads running the government.

*looks at Trump*

Well, strong meatheads.

Just saying it's not how the real world works. And he clearly doesn't understand or care why.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

This would be a bad thing.

Imagine what would happen domestically if heads of state are routinely targeted by foreign nations. This means the battle space becomes wherever the president currently is, and measures to defend against assassination would resemble a police state. And god forbid one actually succeeds.

Not just that, but it escalates arms races. Imagine how much harder North Korea or Iran would be trying to build up their nuclear capabilities if they thought that the US would take a serious shot at assassination. Every dictator and strong-man would race to build a MAD insurance policy.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I know that this is probably really unlikely but is there any way for other nations to place the same kinda sanctions on individuals and stuff that we do? Like could a bunch of foreign governments get together and just sanction the president and all his businesses and members of his staff financially?

This discussion has been closed.