As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Social Entropy++

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    It feels weird that despite being here for... sixteen years or so, I've never gotten involved in any forum groups, played videogames regularly with you folks, or other stuff.

I guess that's social anxiety for ya.

Yeah, despite my trips to PAXes (PAXen?) and hanging out with folks a bunch over the years, I have never really felt like...in? Social Anxiety ++ more like

• zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    zucchini wrote: »
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    One of my vivid memories was being on the infamous PAXTrain in '08. That was a fucking experience.

The smell on the way back. Jesus fucking christ.

You’re on a power trip and need to settle down.

Oh fuck this is taking me back. Am I right in remembering you were on it too? There weren't many from SE++ on the journey. @Belruel was definitely on it.

yeah I think there were only a few of us... the first 6 or so hours were great and then power glove guy wanted us to be on video and then there was a multiple hour delay because of COWS and then the general started barking orders and it smelled and I was over it!

• zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    I still have my SE++ soccer jersey though!

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Touching back on the forum battles post, I am glad I got to be a very small part of the most remembered battle/entry in them.

I feel like that video comes up way more than anything else.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    10 Points to Chico

Hey, who has a link to that ugly duckling video with the swan in the spaceship?

That'll put you in a good mood anytime

Fuck you say? Duckling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6xN6MoKKjA

YES!

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    It feels weird that despite being here for... sixteen years or so, I've never gotten involved in any forum groups, played videogames regularly with you folks, or other stuff.

Yeah, despite my trips to PAXes (PAXen?) and hanging out with folks a bunch over the years, I have never really felt like...in? Social Anxiety ++ more like

It doesn’t help that several forumers have strongly hinted that they do not like me after meeting me. But, I am weird and I’ve encountered this all my life, so I should be used to it by now I guess.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    what! fuck them!

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    My family still doesn't really have a strong grasp on what forums are, so they are always continually mystified by any reference to "my internet group."

It has become easier in the past few years to just refer to y'all as my vacation friends.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

It doesn’t help that several forumers have strongly hinted that they do not like me after meeting me. But, I am weird and I’ve encountered this all my life, so I should be used to it by now I guess.

Well, I like you.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    My family still doesn't really have a strong grasp on what forums are, so they are always continually mystified by any reference to "my internet group."

It has become easier in the past few years to just refer to y'all as my vacation friends.

My grandmother actually started browsing forums for celebrity news at one point, so she surprisingly gets it. I don't think she ever signed up or posted on any of them, but she understands trolling, banning, etc.

She warned me to never trust or believe anyone, and to not post at all if I can avoid it, which is good advice.

uyvfOQy.png
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    yeah, when among the unwashed, I just refer to you lot as "my internet friends".

which is presumptuous, to assume friendship, but that goes down smoother than "these people who I kinda observe through a peephole shaped like an internet forum"

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

I prefer "my sinister taskmaster," but I'll accept "vacation friend."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I refer to you all as my bosom friends and kindred spirits like Anne of Green Gables

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular

Yes, hello, I am in this same boat here.

I got introduced to the forum through the WoW guild here, and despite still posting over a decade later I kind of feel like I'm in the background a bit? That's mostly my fault for not being the one to reach out to interact with others, I've always been rather bad at that.

I have met a handful of folks and shown up for a few PAX East photos, and man I wish I hadn't just clammed up and been so shy every time. Major credit to @Bucketman for giving me a pile of gummy bears at the 2011 photo, though. I'm not sure I ever properly thanked him for that.

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Also since my bookmark for this page hasn't changed in such a long time, this board is still social entropy to me and I had to think for a second about everyone in this thread referring to the name changing.

• Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    I remember I started lurking / posting in 2004 when I was 14, I'm now 31

One of my earlier memories of this place was getting dressed down by tynic and probably some other folks in the D&D (was it Everything Else back then or was that something else...?) chat thread for some stupid libertarian views I had at the time and that was probably what started chipping away at my conservative upbringing into the raging lefty I've become

I still post very rarely but I think I'd be a much shittier person if not for this place

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I’m lying here at 1:20 am with a stubbornly clingy baby asleep on my chest, in a city I’ve lived in for 11 years after moving here from the other side of the world to be with a forumer who is now my husband and father to said baby, reading this here thread that took me down memory lane.

Gosh I am having lots of feelings, including great embarrassment as I recall my past conduct around here. Oooooof. But many good feelings, too.

Life is weird, but what’s even weirder is that my story isn’t even unique within SE++ alone.

EDIT: ok I’m done editing now, the sleep deprivation has fried my brain quite completely.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I never participated in a forum battle myself but I do remember helping Blake make his stop-motion entry on the floor of his apartment not long after I moved to Perth.

And he was defeated by someone who MADE A VIDEO GAME ABOUT US (was I a playable character? fuck I don’t remember) and the stupidest thing is that I’m not even 100% sure who the forumer was who made it, because that game was amazing!

Was it robcham??? I wanna say it was robcham ugh I’ve got the worst memory, I’m the worst

Vivixenne on
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Forum battles seem like they must've been exhausting but I sure did enjoy y'all's work.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Speaking of SE jerseys...

I still have a spreadsheet in my google docs showing who ordered one and what name they wanted on it.

I don’t know why I have this! I didn’t order one and I don’t think I had anything to do with them!

But it’s there! 88 names long.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Here’s a preview

ry55o4wq5n9p.png

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/a8LBv-l5cy0
    Man I haven't thought about Natek in a long time. He was good people.

Fuck I remember wearing the jersey to PAX 2012 along with everyone else and coming up with elaborate stories to explain what SE++ was to people who would ask about them.

edited September 2020
    #pipe wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/a8LBv-l5cy0
    Man I haven't thought about Natek in a long time. He was good people.

BLAKE AND I HAD ONE OF THOSE SAY NO TO JELLIES SIGNS HANGING IN OUR FIRST APARTMENT TOGETHER

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Vivixenne on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Forum battles seem like they must've been exhausting but I sure did enjoy y'all's work.

They certainly weren't easy to produce.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I still have my SE++ jersey but I have never worn it because why the fuck would I wear it randomly? Nah that's for whenever I get to a PAX.

Oh dang!

https://youtu.be/RjIPSUeIc1Q

It WAS Robcham!

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I have my Cutie Mark Crusaders hoodie from the MLP thread. I also got one for all of my friends, when one of them was getting married. Two were supposed to be gifts for the couple, and we were going to split the cost. But, nobody ever paid me back after I ordered them...so I just wound up paying for like six myself.

uyvfOQy.png
  • FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    If there's a guy who remembers everything it's probably Flarne

@Platy Your faith in me is flattering, but undeserved. I have forgotten most things. I do remember that weird plastic bathroom in our hotel room in Bristol though.

I think if I hadn’t stumbled onto this place in 2006 and grown up alongside it I would definitely have been at risk of ending up in some much more toxic internet bullshit. I was not a great person for a lot of my 20s.

One weird thing from the olden times that’s stuck in my head is the phrase “wherna wherna wherna”. I think it was used to torment someone who is no longer around. I never knew why.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    You seemed to remember more stuff than anyone else but that was also quite the number of years ago now

I lurked intermittently from at least 2005 on

I remember you got killed one time by a lightswitch

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    10 Points to Chico

Fuck you say? Duckling?

YES!

I need a full version of the spacesuit song, that shit so catchy rofl

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    I remember you got killed one time by a lightswitch

I do not remember this. Maybe because I died.

Sometimes it feels like the EuroPAXes was just recently and then I remember the last one was over five years ago.
    We celebrated New Years at a Japanese style spa in town last year and ran into Kochi. It’s a very small world sometimes.

That seems like the place where you'd find Kochi

The lightswitch was this crooked one

cU6cNQk.jpg?1

I don't know if that was something you got off the internet or something inside your apartment

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    10 Points to Chico

Fuck you say? Duckling?

YES!

I need a full version of the spacesuit song, that shit so catchy rofl

It's called my moonrocket by valerna btw

That seems like the place where you'd find Kochi

The lightswitch was this crooked one

cU6cNQk.jpg?1

I don't know if that was something you got off the internet or something inside your apartment

Oh wow. Yeah, that’s my bathroom from two apartments ago. My current switches are even. I hope.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I think I only participated in the proto- forum battles that consisted of drawings only. I did terrible ms drawings. boddah did much better drawings.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I kinda loved the forum battles also just for the absurdity of the insane amounts of talent being used just to slapfight forumers and be seen by a couple dozen people. Like, more effort would go into some of those 1-2 minute videos than some AAA movies get

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

one time I interrupted a furry wedding in the interdimensional night club by walking in the middle and self-destructing a robot

I read the first few pages before skipping ahead and ending up here.

Thanks.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png