As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Updates on [SARS2/covid-19] (reboot)

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    The CDC position was most likely not evidence driven, given recently other events.

A Trump ally (also linked to Russia) who has installed as the spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services has been changing CDC reports to make them more aligned with whatever garbage Trump wants to hear including retroactively rewriting reports and blocking studies about the dangers of hydroxychloroquine. That official has openly stated that he's fighting the “ulterior deep state motives in the bowels” of the CDC. There are other installees doing similar work.

The CDC is fully compromised, just like the FDA and most of the rest of the federal government. We can't trust what they say anymore.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/12/astrazeneca-covid19-vaccine-trial-resumes-uk/

The astra trial has been given the green light to resume by the independent safety review board and has started dosing patients again in the UK.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    The CDC position was most likely not evidence driven, given recently other events.

A Trump ally (also linked to Russia) who has installed as the spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services has been changing CDC reports to make them more aligned with whatever garbage Trump wants to hear including retroactively rewriting reports and blocking studies about the dangers of hydroxychloroquine. That official has openly stated that he's fighting the “ulterior deep state motives in the bowels” of the CDC. There are other installees doing similar work.

The CDC is fully compromised, just like the FDA and most of the rest of the federal government. We can't trust what they say anymore.

I was going to argue with this, until I looked up Dr Fauci, and was reminded he works for the NIH, not the CDC.

But yeah, any political appointee of this Administration is presumed to be a partisan flunky, and if they're not, it's only by accident.

This probably deserves to be one of those "unwritten rules" that needs to be codified into law (not that it matters for this panapoly of dipshits), that a political appointee to a specialized field needs some sort of defined experience in that field. Else, it defaults to the next person in the chain of command of the existing system. Especially in regards health, military, intelligence and diplomacy. The Vacancy Acts were created under the assumption noone would be this crass, stupid and corrupt. An assumption now proven incorrect.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/12/astrazeneca-covid19-vaccine-trial-resumes-uk/

The astra trial has been given the green light to resume by the independent safety review board and has started dosing patients again in the UK.

What does this mean for why it was stopped or do we not know?

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

It presumably means that the (one) person who ended up in the hospital didn't get sick from the vaccine, or at least not for a reason that's worth stopping a vaccine over.

• Options

It presumably means that the (one) person who ended up in the hospital didn't get sick from the vaccine, or at least not for a reason that's worth stopping a vaccine over.

There are a wide variety of reasons, from "they got the placebo" to "turns out the diagnosis was wrong" to "patient didn't even actually exist" to "they were sick, but when we tested them we found they had bacteria X which is known to commonly do thing they were sick with" or even "we reviewed the illness and it was far more minor than reported"

But, it seems unlikely we'll learn much more unless it comes up in the final published trial data which it probably won't if the review board says it was relatively unimportant.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    If you're trialling a vaccine with enough people, the odds are that someone's going to get sick of something that's not related to the virus or vaccine.
    But you have to make sure it's not related before you carry on, because the trials are about this kind of thing.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Maybe someone better-informed can weigh in on this, but my understanding was, and it intuitively makes sense, that a lot of the time they won't ever know what caused the sudden unexpected health problem, and they can never entirely rule out that the vaccine was the cause. It's more that they're checking for evidence that it was caused by the vaccine, and once they've done their due diligence the best they can to rule that out, even if they still don't know the cause, they can proceed.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

I was going to argue with this, until I looked up Dr Fauci, and was reminded he works for the NIH, not the CDC.

But yeah, any political appointee of this Administration is presumed to be a partisan flunky, and if they're not, it's only by accident.

This probably deserves to be one of those "unwritten rules" that needs to be codified into law (not that it matters for this panapoly of dipshits), that a political appointee to a specialized field needs some sort of defined experience in that field. Else, it defaults to the next person in the chain of command of the existing system. Especially in regards health, military, intelligence and diplomacy. The Vacancy Acts were created under the assumption noone would be this crass, stupid and corrupt. An assumption now proven incorrect.

It's like that for DNI but Ratcliffe was still appointed. If they're willing to install a flunky, they're willing to say "yup, that sounds like enough experience to me!"

• Options
    OremLK wrote: »
    Maybe someone better-informed can weigh in on this, but my understanding was, and it intuitively makes sense, that a lot of the time they won't ever know what caused the sudden unexpected health problem, and they can never entirely rule out that the vaccine was the cause. It's more that they're checking for evidence that it was caused by the vaccine, and once they've done their due diligence the best they can to rule that out, even if they still don't know the cause, they can proceed.

It depends on how severe the adverse event is, and how important the drug is, and on many factors. Typically they will want to find evidence of it being caused by something else, but you are correct that in the right balance of risk and benefit the trial can be allowed to continue simply with the absence of evidence.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Indonesia has long been understating the scale of its own coronavirus epidemic, with testing rates lower than freaking Mexico. But I guess it's all finally hit some kind of level of something, because in one district the fine for not wearing a face mask is digging the graves of people who died.

Which...that's a pretty appropriate punishment and simultaneously an admission that things are way worse than are being publicly admitted, that there are so many extra deaths that the regular gravediggers can't handle it.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    fuckkkkkkk....

4 more regions were moved to yellow. The regions that were already yellow stays yellow for now but public health is warning us than some of them are ''very close to orange'' . Our amout of new daily cases is back to where it was in early June...

Once a region hits orange, bars will be ordered to close and restaurants will be limited to take-out only.

To quote our health minister tough ''Private parties are our biggest problem''

I have to say tough, one thing I don't like about Québec's alert system is than the criterias for going from one stage to the next are not very clear. I wish it clearly stated for instance ''Once a region is above X cases per 100K population, it goes to yellow''

Getting nervous here! :(

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    Jean wrote: »
    fuckkkkkkk....

4 more regions were moved to yellow. The regions that were already yellow stays yellow for now but public health is warning us than some of them are ''very close to orange'' . Our amout of new daily cases is back to where it was in early June...

Once a region hits orange, bars will be ordered to close and restaurants will be limited to take-out only.

To quote our health minister tough ''Private parties are our biggest problem''

I have to say tough, one thing I don't like about Québec's alert system is than the criterias for going from one stage to the next are not very clear. I wish it clearly stated for instance ''Once a region is above X cases per 100K population, it goes to yellow''

Getting nervous here! :(

Honestly while I agree with you that clear transition criteria are highly advantageous, the virus does exist and still has the same properties it did before. Until our screening and tracing abilities improve by another order of magnotude, we should expect to enter and exit high and low precaution stages wherever you are in the world. It is a good thing to see official action being taken before a catastrophic level of spread is reached. Prompt controls mean limited case numbers.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I guess one of the vaccines may have caused a condition that results in spinal cord issues and could lead to bring paralyzed. Don't think they're sure the vaccine caused it. I confused with medical talk.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/15/health/covid-19-vaccine-trial-astrazeneca-nih-fda-kaiser/index.html

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I guess one of the vaccines may have caused a condition that results in spinal cord issues and could lead to bring paralyzed. Don't think they're sure the vaccine caused it. I confused with medical talk.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/15/health/covid-19-vaccine-trial-astrazeneca-nih-fda-kaiser/index.html

The UK has allowed the trial to resume after their preliminary investigation, so at the very least there's no obvious connection. Still, it's a strike against it and further investigation is happening.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

The UK has allowed the trial to resume after their preliminary investigation, so at the very least there's no obvious connection. Still, it's a strike against it and further investigation is happening.

And shows why these trials need the full battery of testing, and should not be rushed out because an orange toddler thinks it'll help his popularity in an approaching contest.

That they even considered that it was the vaccine that was the cause of this condition shows that the people who know think it's even an option, should scare the piss out of anyone who thinks rushing it out the door is worth the risk.

• Options
    Russia's official COVID-19 death count as of today: a bit under 19,000.
    Russia's official stance on COVID-19 deaths: We're just so damn awesome that we've kept deaths way lower than the rest of you losers.
    Russia's excess deaths as of July: 57,800, around the same scale as the UK's excess deaths, without including the last month and a half.

Don't come in here and bleat about "well actually proportional to the population-" It's about the cover-up and you know it.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

And shows why these trials need the full battery of testing, and should not be rushed out because an orange toddler thinks it'll help his popularity in an approaching contest.

That they even considered that it was the vaccine that was the cause of this condition shows that the people who know think it's even an option, should scare the piss out of anyone who thinks rushing it out the door is worth the risk.

This happened in someone given the vaccine on a trial, that means they consider that it could be the vaccine that did it. There wasn't a committee discussing the possible mechanisms of action that decided that the vaccine could be a potential culprit and then the trial was put on hold, it's the opposite - the adverse event was reported, and it was serious enough that the trial was paused whilst said committee got together to discuss whether the vaccine might be responsible.

They thought it wasn't and so the trial continues.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Yeah, incidents like this will actually get me to have more faith in the vaccine when/if it finishes the trials.
    Compared to the inevitable Trump Vaccine I'd put money on being 'cleared' by late October.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    People who are both assholes and idiots: It's okay if people die from the pandemic because there will be a big baby boom from the disaster that will make up for it!

Reality: A dramatic, worldwide increase in stillbirths, ranging from 50% to 4x previous levels, due to lack of prenatal care (and probably stress too). And those numbers are probably undercounts too. There are not baby booms after long, sustained disasters.

• Options
    Fuck me. Our 2 biggest cities are now in orange.

9j3eqxntyful.png

Going east to west, ignoring the green regions
    • Bas St Laurent : Stable at yellow
    • Chaudière-Appalaches : Entire region moves to orange
    • Capitale nationale : The Québec City metropolitan area moves to orange. The rural areas within capitale nationale are kept at yellow for now.
    • Montrérégie : Stable at yellow
    • Lanaudières & Laurentides : The cities within these 2 regions which are part of the Montréal metropolitan area moves to yellow. Rest of those 2 regions stay green
    • Laval : Stable at yellow
    • Island of Montréal : Moves to orange
    • Outaouais (my own region) : Stable at yellow

The governement has backtracked somewhat on new restrictions. At first, they wanted to close bars & restaurants in orange zones but now, they merely forbid alcohol sales past 11 PM. Private gatherings are now limited to 6 person max OR 2 famillies (it's explicitely stated than it's permitted even if the 2 famillies combined add up to more than 6 people). Public gatherings are limited to 50 people inside, 250 outside.

They are also recomending than people in orange zones not travel to other regions but they're will be zero enforcement on that front.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Vermont has lifted restrictions on bars, restaurants, and hotels. We've been doing well, but that's not why they want to open everything up. See, it's September, almost October, which means leaf-peeping season.

Looking forward to things exploding here!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Vermont has lifted restrictions on bars, restaurants, and hotels. We've been doing well, but that's not why they want to open everything up. See, it's September, almost October, which means leaf-peeping season.

Oh don't worry, I'm sure everyone traveling from out of state areas where the virus is rampant will properly follow unenforced state rules and self quarantine before visiting (ahahahaha yeah right.) Honestly if anything it's just made it easier to identify the out of staters, because they almost consistently never wear masks.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Oh don't worry, I'm sure everyone traveling from out of state areas where the virus is rampant will properly follow unenforced state rules and self quarantine before visiting (ahahahaha yeah right.) Honestly if anything it's just made it easier to identify the out of staters, because they almost consistently never wear masks.

There are tons of them here anyway. The Connecticut, Mass, NY, and NJ plates are everywhere.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I live in a tourist town, i see plates from fuckin Texas regularly

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Guidelines around transmission now acknowledge aerosols that are generated when someone, "coughs, sings, talks or breathes"...

Recommendations are more strongly worded and there's been a change to the phrasing around minimum distances and asymptomatic transmission.

Updated CDC guidance acknowledges coronavirus can spread through the air.
    (CNN)The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated guidance on its website to say coronavirus can commonly spread "through respiratory droplets or small particles, such as those in aerosols," which are produced even when a person breathes.

"Airborne viruses, including COVID-19, are among the most contagious and easily spread," the site now says.
    Previously, the CDC page said that Covid-19 was thought to spread mainly between people in close contact -- about 6 feet -- and "through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes or talks."

These particles can cause infection when "inhaled into the nose, mouth, airways, and lungs," it says. "This is thought to be the main way the virus spreads."

"There is growing evidence that droplets and airborne particles can remain suspended in the air and be breathed in by others, and travel distances beyond 6 feet (for example, during choir practice, in restaurants, or in fitness classes)," the page now says. "In general, indoor environments without good ventilation increase this risk."

Previously, CDC suggested maintaining "good social distance" of about 6 feet, washing hands, routinely cleaning and disinfecting surfaces and covering your mouth and nose with a mask when around others.

Now, it says "stay at least 6 feet away from others, whenever possible," and continues to direct people to wear a mask and routinely clean and disinfect. However, it also now says people should stay home and isolate when sick, and "use air purifiers to help reduce airborne germs in indoor spaces." Masks, it notes, should not replace other prevention measures.

The update also changed language around asymptomatic transmission, shifting from saying "some people without symptoms may be able to spread the virus" to saying "people who are infected but do not show symptoms can spread the virus to others."

The article goes on mentioning that science surrounding the pandemic has always suggested that it is aerosol and doctors and researchers have been pushing for the language since for-fucking-ever.

Edit: Angry noises.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The CDC has been incredibly slow to move away from their initial opinions on asymptomatic spread and whether COVID was airborne. Slow to the point that I'm not entirely sure it's all on Trump or if it was some sort of institutional stubborness.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    They were pretty fast in pulling the guidance down and reverting:
    CDC wrote:
    A draft version of proposed changes to these recommendations was posted in error to the agency’s official website. CDC is currently updating its recommendations regarding airborne transmission of SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19). Once this process has been completed, the update language will be posted.

• Options
    Numbers out of Iran are highly dubious at best, but officials there are saying that they are now in the grip of a third wave of cases. It just keeps coming back whenever people relax their guards; there is no "oh like 20% of the population got it, so now it'll magically go away by herd immunity or something" that I've been hearing and reading people claiming.

On a bright side, Australia and New Zealand had their lightest flu seasons ever. Influenza might even have been eradicated in New Zealand accidentally via the same measures to eliminate the coronavirus - there have been no positive cases of flu since June.

This good news of course is probably not going to be reflected in the US because, among other things, South Dakota wants us all to die. Cases and deaths are shooting up in South Dakota and surrounding states, so what better time after Sturgis and even more superspreading at the state fair to have a goddamn indoor country music concert sponsored by Sanford Health of Sioux Falls, SD, because all those things people say about greedy health systems are true and they want to push cases up even more to make money I guess.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

We need to just not have political appointees to specialized fields.

Period

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

We need to just not have political appointees to specialized fields.

Period

How is that even possible?

Either someone, somewhere in the decision chain is elected, or else you have public institutions with no government oversight.

• Options
    Rising cases don't matter, they yell; hospitalization numbers are more important, they claim!

The virus doesn't work instantaneously like some movie zombie plague. Hospitalizations are a lagging indicator to rising cases, and deaths are a lagging indicator to hospitalizations. It can take days before someone goes from "positive" to "hospitalized" and then weeks to months to end up at "dead."

There are now record hospitalizations for COVID-19 in North Dakota, South Dakota, Missouri, Hawaii, Montana, West Virginia and now Wisconsin too.

I do not expect anyone to be swayed by this new information. People who have already been taking this seriously will continue to do so. The usual suspects will continue to move their goalposts.

• Options
    Rising cases don't matter, they yell; hospitalization numbers are more important, they claim!

The virus doesn't work instantaneously like some movie zombie plague. Hospitalizations are a lagging indicator to rising cases, and deaths are a lagging indicator to hospitalizations. It can take days before someone goes from "positive" to "hospitalized" and then weeks to months to end up at "dead."

There are now record hospitalizations for COVID-19 in North Dakota, South Dakota, Missouri, Hawaii, Montana, West Virginia and now Wisconsin too.

I do not expect anyone to be swayed by this new information. People who have already been taking this seriously will continue to do so. The usual suspects will continue to move their goalposts.

The link there is a bit of a sketchy description of the data. The real data is concerning too, and probably more concerning because its the real data rather than the reuters summary which doesn't quite catch what is going on

Hawaii (https://covidtracking.com/data/state/hawaii/hospitalization) peaked a few weeks ago, currently falling
    West Virgina (https://covidtracking.com/data/state/west-virginia/hospitalization) at peak now and possibly falling
    Missouri (https://covidtracking.com/data/state/missouri/hospitalization) at peak now and flat
    Montana (https://covidtracking.com/data/state/montana/hospitalization) below earlier peak, but rising
    North Dakota (https://covidtracking.com/data/state/north-dakota/hospitalization) at peak now and rising
    South Dakota (https://covidtracking.com/data/state/south-dakota/hospitalization) at peak now and rising
    Wisconsin (https://covidtracking.com/data/state/wisconsin/hospitalization) at peak now and rising

So, there's both despair there and hope. Hawaii and West Virginia seem to be showing that you absolutely can turn a corner on this in the US, without needing to get to a full Arizona/Texas/Florida level of near hospital collapse before you do so. Missouri and Montana can hopefully learn that lesson. North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin are going to be in a bad way even if they do.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Oh hey, some people might be more genetically predisposed to severe COVID

We kind of knew that autoimmune tendencies had a role in what is essentially inflammatory overactivity. I wonder if there is an opportunity now to find out what people are prone to inflammation in the first place, which would be a key factor in a lot of the most common chronic diseases.

If we could develop an inflammatory genetic profile from this mass data, we may be able to test people for likelihood to develop things like cancer, heart disease, stroke, etc, not just from COVID, but from all lifetime risks.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Edit: not an update, moved to discussion thread.

Orca on
  • Options
    Manaus, Brazil on the Amazon River, was an early hotspot of COVID-19 cases and deaths (and one that you probably remember me bringing up over and over again because no the coronavirus wasn't magically going away in the summer if it spread in the middle of freaking Amazon rain forest). Eventually though, after months, cases started to decline. Some researchers estimated that 45-60% of the population may have been infected, and some people (by which I mean mostly right-wing media mouthbreathers) started claiming last month that Manaus "proves" that herd immunity is a thing and it already happened to them and now they're fine and the economy can open back up, just let thousands dying "out of the system" as it were. And Manaus was opening up very rapidly.

Now the second wave has started. Declining immunity, "herd immunity" not actually being a thing without vaccines and cases had actually gone down because people had the fear of death in them to make them take precautions, some of both, other hypotheses? The important thing is, don't let your guard down.

Of course, *looking at much of the world and especially the US* that's exactly what most places are doing.

• Options
    *sigh* The entire metropolitan areas of Montréal and Québec City have been moved to red. Not a single spot of green left on the map.

The red zones will stay red for at least 28 days.

f0j42lukpjc8.png

Bars, restaurants and casinos ordered to close in red zones (take out still permitted). Social gatherings inside private homes are prohibitted.

Our governement is being very stubborn on one point : They flat out refuse to close schools again, even in red zones.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Colorado's cases are spiking back to March April levels this week. CU Boulder has already confirmed 1200 cases of positive college students since they re-opened the campus. This shit is so frustrating.

• Options
    The positivity rate in Montana is 20%. In South Dakota, it's now a whopping 26%.

There's been a rise over most of the US. The predicted Labor Day surge happened.

Dr. Ashish Jha is the Dean of the School of Public Health at Brown University.

But of course there are also schools reopening. And there was Sturgis *spits*, and soon there will be cruise ships again. Because the CDC no sail orders docking all the cruise ships will run out on October 31st. The CDC wanted to extend it to February, seeing as the goddamn global pandemic is still ongoing with no definite and widely-available vaccine yet, but the Trump regime blocked the extension.

And there are far too many people stupid enough to still get on a goddamn cruise ship.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Hope Hicks, a close Trump aide, has tested positive