As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's not anime, it's the 4th [Gunpla] thread

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    the hamma hamma beam saber is kinda weird in the first place anyway.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Mikeycult666Mikeycult666 Registered User new member
    Hey guys I read the comments and ended up just joining myself basically the contest just turned into a nightmare and I was afraid I'd potentially not be able to enter this into gbwc next year I'm going to rework some stuff base wise and add maybe more weapons but I was looking at a neo zeong feel just a big shit kicking mobile armor and the green and red combo is literally the same color for the 2 base kits

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    I see kishatrya, Hama Hama and Nightingale bits. Cant place the sub arms though.

I like it!

Also the shield is making me want hard candy.

This is for you, @turtleant

L46ROalh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    My post was more a response to @turtleant's guesses about the parts' origins. He was spot on with most of the rest as far as I know, although I'm pretty sure the fuel tanks are from the Neo Zeong.

The bit I can't place is the shield, but watch it turn out to also be from the hamma-hamma. Unlike turtleant, I didn't recognize that the head and torso came from it as well, because for some reason the shoulders and arms are the only parts I seem to remember well about that mecha.

Edit: Oh! The boosters were the legs would be, in front of the fuel pods, those are from one of the Sentinels, aren't they?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The Sub-arms look like they're the Seltsam's arm, maybe from the option set?

As for the shield, @H3Knuckles, you're right, it's definitely the Hamma-Hamma's

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    now if you'll excuse me I have to go crawl under a rock and die of embarrassment

BahamutZERO.gif
    Lanz wrote: »
    Sub Arms look like the Seltsam's, I'm guessing from the option parts set where you can just get the arms?

Shield is also Hamma Hamma, Re: @H3Knuckles

Yes they are seltsams arms arms

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yep that's the Hamma-Hamma's shield.

Also from those other pictures the front and back skirt are from the Nightingale, the boosters down where the legs would be are from either the Ex-S or the Deep Striker, and the sub arms are the Seltzam's weird claw arm. And I think those triangular bits on the back are from the long distance armor/transport from IBO?

That boy's really a who's who of suits I like a lot. :)

X22wmuF.jpg
    Kits used for the watermelon mobile armor
    Re:100 Hamma Hamma
    Re:100 Nightingale
    Hg Long Distance Transport
    Hg Kshatriya
    Hg Neo Zeong 2
    Mg ZZ
    Mg FA Unicorn
    Mg Ex S Gundam 1.5
    Hg Seltsam Arms
    Bunch of random HG Add ons

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    look I got *real* obsessed with the Hamma Hamma recently.

it being one of the banner gatcha suits for a few weeks in GBO2 didn't help.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    look I got *real* obsessed with the Hamma Hamma recently.

it being one of the banner gatcha suits for a few weeks in GBO2 didn't help.

It's such a weird kit that's why I love it

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    this whole conversation reminds me i just don't have an artistic eye for robot stuff. i look and think "wow cool!" and miss, like, intent and design and feeling. there's an entire episode of build divers that's about kitbashing and customs and stuff and everyone gives the antagonist shit for his suit looking like it was just a bunch of kits and weapons glued together with no heart. and i'm like, looks fine! that sure is a gundam! two legs, some guns, some freedom, that's a gundam to me. and then the actual good guy of the episode shows up with his super cool powerful suit and i think, yep, that is also a gundam. so i just kinda build the suits that i think look cool and hope no one notices my nub marks

i don't have the sophisticated palate for interpretive dance, either

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Believe it or not, Mikey's talent has both made me hesitate in doing stuff and pushed me to get better. It's why I invested so much in that Hi-Nu last month. :D It's also why I try to be as encouraging as hell to everyone I meet regardless of skill level. Critique and feedback are fine! But it has to come from a good place.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    i support any Kshatriya use personally

heck it's pretty much a kitbash itself by like halfway through unicorn

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    god I keep forgetting how big kshatriya is supposed to be, it's easy to lose sense of scale of it in the anime but those binders don't look too out of place when bolted to a bunch of neo zeong and 1/100 kit parts lol

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    rwx9c6msk4om.jpg

Finished the AGE-2 Magnum and it turns out the LEDs in my spray booth make it into a bright enough photo booth.

steam_sig.png
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    That's great work, TNTrooper.

Considering I mixed more red into the purple then I intended, sprayed it to heavy at to low of a PSI with not enough thinner, and just covered up the bad paint job with a second coat. It still somehow came out really nice. I like the idea of some grunts going "Oh shit it's a red Gundam, run away!" once it gets close enough to make out the color. Time to start on birthday kit #2 before the Full Armor Unicorn gear shows up and makes my backlog even worse.

steam_sig.png
  • Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Hey guys I read the comments and ended up just joining myself basically the contest just turned into a nightmare and I was afraid I'd potentially not be able to enter this into gbwc next year I'm going to rework some stuff base wise and add maybe more weapons but I was looking at a neo zeong feel just a big shit kicking mobile armor and the green and red combo is literally the same color for the 2 base kits
    Are you by chance @Athenor ’s friend who I got the Zoids Fox Hound for?

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    In anticipation of the MGEX Unicorn, I am building the MG OVA HD Unicorn! To compare and contrast. Will hopefully get a side by side up here when the MGEX arrives. ;D
    I've built MG Unicorns before... kinda. I got most of the way through the FA Ver Ka 5 years ago, burned out and shelved it, and built the Banshee OVA 3 years ago and liked it.

This version is... honestly, pretty good! I know it's got a bad reputation, and I can't really dispute the issues people have with it. On mine, the chest was annoying to put together, I don't feel like all the panels fit totally flush properly, like there's something off internally, but it does feel solid. The shoulder pads cannot close properly either - a solid 1mm of a gap all the way through.

As to what's HD about it - eeeh it's kinda glossy? I think it's another name for the Special Coating versions they have on P-Bandai? The white parts are shiny, they look good, but the inner frame is actually super impressive - it's a glossy dark gunmetal and it's the new standard for what I want my Gundam frames to look like. :p

The psychoframe is standard, far as I can tell, no sparkles or anything.

Also it came with an MS Cage! It's awesome!

Oh brilliant
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm probably taking a break for a while, inasmuch that I simply don't have the shelf room to accumulate a collection, though I may still bite the bullet on an Alteisen one day to compliment my Weissy.

cbardgn4n3rs.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    this whole conversation reminds me i just don't have an artistic eye for robot stuff. i look and think "wow cool!" and miss, like, intent and design and feeling. there's an entire episode of build divers that's about kitbashing and customs and stuff and everyone gives the antagonist shit for his suit looking like it was just a bunch of kits and weapons glued together with no heart. and i'm like, looks fine! that sure is a gundam! two legs, some guns, some freedom, that's a gundam to me. and then the actual good guy of the episode shows up with his super cool powerful suit and i think, yep, that is also a gundam. so i just kinda build the suits that i think look cool and hope no one notices my nub marks

i don't have the sophisticated palate for interpretive dance, either

on the whole that's how I feel, save for very specific instances where, let's give New Gundam Breaker as an example, someone comes in with a kit that's a motley mix of all series, eras and factions without painting, just because all those are strong parts.

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Are you by chance Athenor ’s friend who I got the Zoids Fox Hound for?

@Corporal Carl

@Mikeycult666 is!

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

From the further away pictures of the model I feel like the big black sections and black shadowing of the color scheme actually make the red and green look more garish than it actually is? Because the close-up photos really make the colors pop in a great way. I dunno I'm trying to give constructive feedback here but I'm just one rando who hasn't even properly painted a kit before.

• MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Like Pokemon, I love all Gundam in their own ways. Except the Seravee/Seraphim combo, it creeps me out. I guess that makes them the Jynx and Mr. Mime of Gunpla.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    saw this on twitter and can't stop thinking about it

gqqoy806dap4.png

uc3ufTB.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    mr. bushido loves being called mr. bushido

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Schwartz Brudder really slides to the left if you speak German though, turns out.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Schwartz Brudder really slides to the left if you speak German though, turns out.

The fact that there was a totally different person named "Scwhartz Brudder" in the world of G-Gundam is the most ridiculous shit.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    G Gundam is so bad.

But in its badness it is so good

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    G-Gundam is the kind of thing I would include in a time capsule shot into space meant for alien life forms to find and gain a deeper understanding of what mankind is capable of and the indelible mark we have left on this universe

• Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Is it a surfboard?
    6dckpwc43n16.jpg
    Is it a canoe?
    mzw1nh5p1u5m.jpg
    Is it a Zulu warrior's gear?
    radbbj5b304d.jpg
    HG Char's Gelgoog is wondering why I first built its shield and weapon :lol:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I picked this up on the cheap since a ZZ was lying around:

n2qgldsvsdck.png83ia6lcqjfqz.png

Transforming it was a royal pain, not likely to happen again. (I was looking for Roux's mech, but ah well.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The next step is in progress.

TPSj3Hq.jpg

Would I want to follow up with another coat of the same paint, or is it fine to move on to the semigloss seal?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Move on to the semigloss that is looking good.

steam_sig.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Hm, probably should've let the gloss coat (or both coats) sit for the rest of the day instead of reassembling so soon. Some of the joints fit so tight that they're rubbing the paint off in very visible spots.

Think I'll wait before reattaching to Materia. That giant shield is cool but it's way too unwieldy to use with a shoulder pad on the same side.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

I hope you stick around, I'd love to see some more of your work.

Ianator wrote: »
    Hm, probably should've let the gloss coat (or both coats) sit for the rest of the day instead of reassembling so soon. Some of the joints fit so tight that they're rubbing the paint off in very visible spots.

Think I'll wait before reattaching to Materia. That giant shield is cool but it's way too unwieldy to use with a shoulder pad on the same side.

I am guessing it's a lacquer paint which dries fast but you still want to wait for it to cure before handling it. Good rule of thumb is once it stops smelling it is safe.

steam_sig.png
    Parts reattached, pics tomorrow I guess.

Also my Architect and A.I.S. just arrived! Must resist the urge to build them tonight.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
This discussion has been closed.